Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe a hot take, but why would the SEC “buy the cow” when
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Maybe a hot take, but why would the SEC “buy the cow” when

Jul 2, 2022, 7:25 AM

we are giving the milk for free? I keep hearing that they don’t need us, and it may be true, so why do we continue to schedule them?

As much as I like the regional rivalries, I think they help the SEC in recruiting and TV revenue more than they help “little old Clemson”. I would vote for boycotting the SEC and not scheduling them in anything…and that includes SCAR. Replace those games with ones that help us in terms of recruiting exposure or TV markets. Show them we don’t need them, either.

Seems like all we are doing is adding value to their brand and getting nothing in return.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe a hot take, but why would the SEC “buy the cow” when

Jul 2, 2022, 7:53 AM

Hate to break it to you, but the SEC brand is much, much bigger than Clemsons. We need either them or the big 10 or we'll go down with this ACC ship... I think they need us, but they've been just fine without us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course it is..no argument there

Jul 2, 2022, 8:25 AM

Simply suggesting that we pursue marquee games with non-SEC teams, e.g. B12 or B1G, or maybe Cindy/UCF

Jul 2, 2022, 7:55 AM

I generally agree, but you & I both know that if we didn't play those games eSECpn would completely disparage our schedule, drop us in every power metric, and lower us so far down in polls they would effectively block us from any future championships.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2022, 7:56 AM

Adding Clemson would be a plus imo. Quality school with a great tradition. Cull the dead wood and add quality.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Jul 2, 2022, 7:57 AM

I would agree with your view if Clemson were scheduling SEC teams and constantly losing but that's not the case. We have more than held our own when playing SEC teams during Dabo's tenure. Even this past season which was a bit of a downer from an expectation point, we played the CFP champ tougher than anyone. These Clemson versus the SEC games give the Tigers more exposure in the hotbed of college football recruiting--the southeast. Granted, the Clemson versus South Carolina contest has been a ho-hummer for the past few years but that has not always been the case--remember Spurrier?. I believe Dabo would like to play more SEC teams for the exposure it gives his program plus he thoroughly enjoys beating the best.

Jul 2, 2022, 8:11 AM

This is correct. Our success vs the SEC in the last 10 years has been huge for our recruiting.

To keep the BIG 10 out of the southern markets

Jul 2, 2022, 7:57 AM

it's still a business

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Jul 2, 2022, 8:03 AM

We were the 20th ranked program in terms of viewership and the UGA Clemson game was the 4th most watched game last season (probably excluding the CFP). Want to know why SEC/Big10 will be drooling over Clemson? Their viewership... even though we are in a small town in SC. The answer to anything is "Follow the Money" and you will understand why decisions are made (for the most part) and why we see what is going on.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-were-the-most-watched-in-2021-49ef4f315858

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2022, 8:51 AM

Exactly! I posted about this yesterday after doing a short research on viewership. Clemson has ranked high, as has the viewing of CFB on the local TV stations covering Upstate SC/NC/GA which does reach into those THREE recruiting bonanzas. Our little feathered friends in the midlands can't boast of having that access.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 2, 2022, 8:39 AM

I'm not sure how refusing to play anyone from the most fertile recruiting areas in the country is going to give a boost to our recruiting.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic