Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
May 28,1970-I know it is 54 years tomorrow
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 24
| visibility 2100

May 28,1970-I know it is 54 years tomorrow

May 27, 2024, 7:18 AM

and I know you have heard this from me before but that was the day my squad in Vietnam lost Arturo Lopez of El Paso, Texas. He was the first of many killed in action during my tour of duty. Two others were seriously wounded by the same booby trap (IED in today’s terms). I would have been right beside them had one of them not told me to stand behind a stone column and cover them as they walked forward- the column kept all the shrapnel from hitting me. Later the same day, I was only feet away from a friend who stepped on a much smaller device- he survived but what a terrible day. I don’t know if Memorial Day was on the 28th that year or not but it will always be on the 28th for me. Remember Arturo and all those who have fallen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: May 28,1970-I know it is 54 years tomorrow

May 27, 2024, 7:26 AM

Thank you for your service. Thank you for the reminder that this isn’t just a day off from work, but a reminder of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2024, 12:34 PM

So true. I know I'm a day late but if anyone stumbles across this post, I hope you'll consider attending next year's memorial day service in Washington DC. My nephew took me down this year again. You'll swell with pride the entire 2+ hours, and shed tears. It'd be great for young one's too. The tributes, the music, the mc's , everything is top notch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of our own have spoken at the service through the years.

With that, a huge thanks to everyone here for your service.

clover65®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 7:28 AM

🙏

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I try to save a life a day, usually it is my own.

May 27, 2024, 7:33 AM

Thanks for remembering. Salute, my friend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

May 27, 2024, 7:35 AM

Thank you for your service and tanks to all those who did not make it back. May 28, 1970 was the day I met my wife, so it is special to me also.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 7:56 AM

Just 3 days before my birth. My father was in the Army. He had served almost 3yrs, we had gone from Colorado, to Texas where he got accepted into helicopter school. We moved from Texas to Fort Wainwright, Alaska where the Army had joint training with Eielson Air Force Base just outside of Fairbanks Ak. My dad was in heavy field trials where they had an accident and he mangled his leg and was in the hospital for over 6mos. He never achieved his dreams of being a helicopter pilot. After he healed, they moved us to Fort Bragg where his training scores moved him to a computer operator position that he hated. They were running and creating punch cards of classified info to ship worldwide.

Office work was not my dad's style so he took a lateral to a supply chief but he lost his infatuation with the Army. They wanted him to move us to Seoul to help supply South Vietnam with their recovery. This was around 1978, while the war was basically done, he did not want to bring his family to this area after the Korean War was not really finished any better than the Vietnam war. My father decided to wrap up his military career in Fort Bragg which is how he discovered Santee Lakes, great fishing and we moved to SC.

That is how I learned that Coots were dumb fans, I hated the Black Magic era and not long after was the revenge of 1981. I became a Clemson fan, a Clemson Grad several yrs later and my dad is still a disabled vet today!

This is how we found SC and I found Clemson.

May 27, 2024, 12:41 PM

Great story TigerBigBass! My thanks and admiration to your dad for his service!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

May 27, 2024, 2:11 PM

Thanks Bill.

May 28, 2024, 3:19 AM [ in reply to Re: May 28,1970-I know it is 54 years tomorrow ]

Vietnam War ended 30 April 1975 with the fall of Saigon.

May 28, 2024, 10:36 AM

Yeah, it was around '76 the army wanted us to move and my father wouldn't re-up so he finished in Fort Bragg '78. We moved to Moncks Corner, SC summer of '78 so my dad could get his fix of fishing for giant catfish and striper on Santee. He ended becoming a guide for several yrs.

As always, Thank You and all the other Veterans and Fallen Heroes for your

May 27, 2024, 8:04 AM

service. The shoddy treatment you and your fellow Viet Nam Veterans received for many years after that war will always be a black mark against this country in my eyes. All we can do is try to continue to atone for that behavior going forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 8:10 AM

Thoughts and prayers for all who gave 🙏

May 27, 2024, 9:04 AM

Most of us can only imagine the things you and our other veterans have seen and endured. Prayers for all who have fallen and also for those of you that God had longer range plans for. Thank you sir.

May 27, 2024, 9:23 AM

Clover ..... thanks you for remembering those that were lost in your unit. It is them that we remember and honor today, and although it is never a wrong time to honor those who have served, this day is reserved for them. I think it is particularly sobering to those of us that came back from Viet Nam, and all wars, to understand the sacrifice these brave young men gave. I was in the Naval hospital in Guam with many like you who were severely wounded and understand fully the sacrifice that all who served made ..... but we came back!

May 27, 2024, 9:30 AM

One of the last conversations I had with my dad was about the Vietnam war. That day he cried and I will always remember that conversation. Thank you very much for your service.

May 27, 2024, 9:40 AM

God bless you and those who gave all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 9:51 AM

Thank you for your service and for everyone that sacrificed to keep America safe. Thank you to all those who sacrificed all. All sacrificed and some sacrificed all. I am thankful to be in a family rich in military service members. I salute every veteran today and hold a special place in my heart for you all. Family members sacrifice as well. We worry about those deployed into horrific war zones and pray for their safe return. We all stand together today in memorial to praise all who served. God bless you and yours.

Go Tigers!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 10:14 AM

Thank you for your service 🙏

Thank You Sir, for your selflessness and dedication to your country!!

May 27, 2024, 10:17 AM

Special thanks to those, in your unit, that lost their lives for the cause of freedom!!

Thank you for your service!***

May 27, 2024, 2:15 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 2:18 PM

SEMPER FI MAC!

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

May 27, 2024, 7:36 PM

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your service.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

May 27, 2024, 9:59 PM
88022.jpeg(203.2 K)

Corporal Hubert P. Terrell, American Expeditionary Force, Company I, 118th Infantry (SC), KIA- Distinguished Service Cross for Valor near Vaux-Andigny, France October 12, 1918. Less than 1 month before the armistice that became our US Veterans' Day. My Great Grand Uncle, from Cheraw, SC. Other than my family, my most prized possession.

Thank you, Clover, for your service!***

May 28, 2024, 12:42 PM

And, thank you for reminding us for Memorial Day is all about ... memorializing and remembering those who gave their lives to defend the freedom we still have in the USA.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 24
| visibility 2100
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next