Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Garage garden tools storage/organization advice.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 419

Garage garden tools storage/organization advice.

Feb 16, 2021, 12:33 PM

What do y'all do or wish you did do? I'm trying to work on finishing up the organization of the garage, shovels, pick axes, sledges, rakes, etc.

Do you do a giant wall of peg board, that "track" thing improvement stores sell that is basically an adjustable rail with hooks, just throw it into a corner and ignore it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I went with the Rubbermaid product - Fastrack

Feb 16, 2021, 12:35 PM

works well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your wall looking like this?

Feb 16, 2021, 12:42 PM

I'm assuming the benefit is it's easily adjustable, instead of just screwing up 2x4s where that track is and putting in hooks?

I stood in the garage organization section of Lowes way too long last night and came back with a couple J-hooks and gave up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, not that 'spaced' out. I went about half the wall

Feb 16, 2021, 12:46 PM

with the rails, then some metal cabinets beside them. But I like it because you really don't know what you want and where until the rail is up - then you can move things around. The big hooks hold multiple stuff, like both my flat shovel and round shovel fit on the same hook, same with rakes. Holds a lot and very secure - put in a couple of screws per stud iirc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my daughters and I put up

Feb 16, 2021, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Your wall looking like this? ]

Almost that much in one day. I really like it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Walmart has a generic knock-off for $15 or something

Feb 16, 2021, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Your wall looking like this? ]

for a 4' length w/ several hooks...and a couple other hook versions available separately

i bought one to try it out, and it works well enough that I'd get another

I use that for the bigger things....got a wall'o'pegboard, too, for smaller handheld sized things

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I use that stuff too. Works well and it's easy to move thing

Feb 16, 2021, 12:51 PM [ in reply to I went with the Rubbermaid product - Fastrack ]

around and reorganize if needed.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pegboard ftw.

Feb 16, 2021, 12:40 PM

Half the garage is pegboard, and the opposite wall is all heavy duty shelves. Seems to werk for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pegboard strong enough to hang things like a sledge?

Feb 16, 2021, 12:44 PM

I was thinking of doing some peg board where my handheld tools are to clear some workbench space.

Yep. Got all kinds of stuff hanging.

Feb 16, 2021, 12:53 PM

Leaf blowers, trimmers, anything up to 10-15 lbs or so is fine. Have a deer hanging lol.

One tip, if it's heavy, don't hang it on a long rod like the kinds that stick out straight. Keep it on one of the shorter hooks if possible. Hanging something heavy on one of the longer straight hooks that stick out further, will cause it to rip the top hole in the pegboard over time as it puts more outward pressure on the hole.

But I have rakes, leaf blower, weed eater, gardening tools, hand tools, hammers, sledge hammer, axes, all that stuff hangs on pegboard fine. Weed eater is heaviest and I have that on two hooks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mine looks pretty much like this

Feb 16, 2021, 12:44 PM

just made it with 2x4 scraps and nails.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this one's pretty cool made out of PVC pipes

Feb 16, 2021, 12:49 PM

addendum to PVC theme

Feb 16, 2021, 12:56 PM

Is this Pintrest?***

Feb 16, 2021, 1:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

esp. for you

Feb 16, 2021, 1:06 PM

samesies.

Feb 16, 2021, 1:03 PM [ in reply to mine looks pretty much like this ]

Rest of the garage looks like a disaster because I live with a person who can't get rid of things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I use the old lean-against-wall-of-shed method.***

Feb 16, 2021, 12:47 PM

Which is one step above my method of throwing it in corner

Feb 16, 2021, 1:04 PM

then spend 20 minutes cussing because I can't find #### later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I have a good system. The thing I just used goes in front.

Feb 16, 2021, 1:16 PM

The thing I haven't used in a long time is at the back.

I have an idea, for you specifically:

Feb 16, 2021, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Which is one step above my method of throwing it in corner ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hire someone to do that ish

Feb 16, 2021, 1:13 PM

throw out all yard implements

GTFOH....I'll hire someone to pour concrete, add an

Feb 16, 2021, 1:49 PM

addition to my house, rebuild my transmission....but organize my tools? Naw dawg. That's like a baby step away from a wedding planner for men.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well, yeah. But I meant all that yard work ish.

Feb 16, 2021, 2:01 PM

Eff that. I'm not wasting another Saturday of my life cutting grass or doing flower bed ish or any of that stuff. I don't have that many Saturdays left.

I got large standing shelves

Feb 16, 2021, 1:16 PM

I got wall mounted shelves
I got a standing yard tool holder
I have Fishing rod holders
I have a peg board

And everything is still in the garage (cars, mower, boat)...it is a bit messy still (my fault)

Looks like I need to work on it some

Feb 16, 2021, 1:41 PM

Especially considering this is the clean section.

beer fridge needs more stickers***

Feb 16, 2021, 1:42 PM

That's actually milk storage***

Feb 16, 2021, 1:44 PM

Oh, that's one I need to add onto the FBCoach post.

Feb 16, 2021, 2:29 PM [ in reply to beer fridge needs more stickers*** ]

krzywife wouldn't let me have a beer fridge in the garage

WOT?

Feb 16, 2021, 2:35 PM

Everybody needs a beer fridge with a bunch of stickers on it.

Apparently the micro fridge I have in the bonus room counts

Feb 16, 2021, 2:36 PM

and wasting the energy on an old inefficient fridge that has to work harder in the heat of the garage in summer isn't worth it.

I make up for it by having one full shelf in the main fridge full of beer though.

How much electricity does a refrigerator use?

Feb 16, 2021, 2:52 PM

Stuff the freezer full of ice; then you have ice when you need it, too

Re: Looks like I need to work on it some

Feb 16, 2021, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Looks like I need to work on it some ]

Is that a stainless steel cuisinart fondue pot?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2021, 1:46 PM

Feb 16, 2021, 1:55 PM

Dang big boy, time to pull that bad boy out of the box and get fonduing!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bro, we fondued last month***

Feb 16, 2021, 1:58 PM

My plan is to put peg board all around my shed.

Feb 16, 2021, 1:18 PM

Just sheet after sheet of the stuff from the floor to where it bends. I don't know when though. I discovered a roof leak the other day. Not sure how bad that is yet or how to fix. I may need a whole new metal building.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peg board works good

Feb 16, 2021, 1:24 PM

Some things will pull out (LOL). Gotta be careful with the hook shape/length + tool weight continuum though.

Sledge hammer, weedeater, etc. are the ones to look out for.

I did a test Guardian rail

Feb 16, 2021, 2:38 PM

For this exact thing. Couldn't be happier with it. Blower, 2 weed eaters, shovels, rakes, maddox, sledge hammer, and a couple extension cords all fit on one 4' section.

Phase 2 will be to have the wall parallel to the garage door be pretty much end to end so I can start scaling up with their other hanging thingies. The golf caddy thing looks tight, need some hooks for my ladders, and then need some of those cabinets.

I went with this b/c my neighbor can get me all of their stuff at cost, fwiw.

I'll send it over jounge snap, but I am rightdamn proud of my ladder hanging solution with the ceiling. Basically put a big J hook on one end, then a pulley system for my big extension ladder. I can slot the end of the ladder in the J-hook, tie off the rope to the ladder, then pull it up so it hangs above the garage door. Tie it off w/ a boat dock tie thingy I screwed to the wall. Cost me about 25 bucks, and I can easily hang / retrieve my ladder by myself.

I said Guardian, but I meant Gladiator

Feb 16, 2021, 3:10 PM

my bad...

https://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/

Thanks for the ideas everyone, follow-up, what do you do

Feb 16, 2021, 2:39 PM

with all your spare wood (giggity)?

Especially I have three extra 4'x8'x1/2" plywood sheets, couple 4'x4'x8's, and 2'x4's of varying lengths because cut, and random boards and stuff. Is there any sensible way to organize/store that?

you gone need a forklift to move

Feb 16, 2021, 2:41 PM

a 4 foot by 4 foot by 8 foot wood block haha

but I use those ceiling racks I sent a couple weeks ago. I reckon some channel iron would probably do the trick if you put your engineering skills to work.

Rofl, typed too fast.

Feb 16, 2021, 2:43 PM

Yeah I have that ceiling rack saved if I wind up needing the space. Not sure I love the idea of needing a ladder to get to all the wood, plus the treated 4"x4"x8's (phew) aren't that light, and how does the plywood get up there?

Currently the plywood is laid flat in the middle of a bay and parked over, lol.

lol - couldn't resist...you'd probably have to go with

Feb 16, 2021, 2:53 PM

the larger overhead racks and hang the plywood w/ 2' of overhang. I think the next size up is 4' x 8', so have the plywood sheets run perpendicular to the orientation of the rack. I think those racks are rated for like 250 - 300 pounds...at least I hope that's right haha

And yeah, needing the ladder sucks but I don't have the space for a cantilever rack (which would probably be your best bet for the studs and smaller boards). I had my plywood just leaned up against the wall.

Maybe a triple support channel iron system would work, and do it overhead? Make it like 5' wide or something? This would be significantly cheaper than the full racking system. You could also make it out of spare 2x4s if you wanted.

I think I'm leaning towards not keeping plywood now, haha.

Feb 16, 2021, 3:01 PM

The rest of the wood is stood up vertical in the corner of the garage at the moment and seems to be doing okay there I guess.

Tall cabinet

Feb 16, 2021, 2:40 PM

To be more tidy....

Replies: 44
| visibility 419
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic