Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
From the Clemson Scroll of Honor, first cousins lost in WWII
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 5
| visibility 750

From the Clemson Scroll of Honor, first cousins lost in WWII

May 27, 2024, 8:32 AM

In memory of Lt Cmdr John E Muldrow Class of 1937 and Sgt Henry G Muldrow Class of 1938, from Bishopville, SC.

https://soh.alumni.clemson.edu/scroll-of-honor/search/?hname=Muldrow&conflict=none&yr=none&service=none

John Muldrow was my mother's first husband

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From the Clemson Scroll of Honor, first cousins lost in WWII

May 27, 2024, 8:52 AM

It would be interesting to know if there is a connection between these young men and the middle name of the man the library is named for. The name Muldrow isn't one you see very often.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 9:47 AM

Robert Muldrow Cooper was also from Lee County and I'm sure they were related but don't know the genealogy.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 5:00 PM

I had a family friend (Army Vet) who's uncle is on the Scroll of Honor. He graduated in 1943 and was shipped to England the next year. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was later captured by the nazis. As a POW developing pneumonia, he managed to escape during a prison transfer. He came across a farm owned by a Lutheran minister and hid in a barn. The minister and his daughter discovered him but took care of him and continued to hide him from the nazis. His pneumonia took a quick turn for the worst and he died a few days later. The minister buried him in his church's cemetery. Once the war ended, his body was exhumed and was shipped back to SC from Germany. Earlier that year, one of his brother's died while fighting on the beaches of Normandy. So this was the second son that my friend's grandmother and grandfather loss within about a six month span. Because of this, a third brother who was stationed at Pearl Harbor at the time was excused from service. So essentially an example of the Sole Survivor Policy a few years before it was officially implemented.

Anyway, my friend was extremely close with his uncle when he was a kid. He often talked about going to visit him on the weekends at Clemson. He was crushed when his family received word that he had died. He told me from that moment on that every night when he went/goes to bed, he thought/thinks about his uncle dying sick, cold and alone in that barn in Germany.

He had always heard that his uncle's name was on the Scroll of Honor, but had never seen it and greatly wished that he could. So one Friday on my way home for the weekend, I swung by the Scroll of Honor, took a picture of his uncle's stone and had a copy made and framed. On my way back to Clemson on that Sunday, I went by his house and gave it to him. Tears filled his eyes. They were happy ones though as the picture brought him some sort of closure of losing his beloved uncle all those years ago.

That was the last time I saw him. He died 2 weeks later.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 6:11 PM

You did a good deed that day and one that was more important and gracious than what many do in their lifetime.

May 27, 2024, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Re: From the Clemson Scroll of Honor, first cousins lost in WWII ]

That is a wild story. Thanks for sharing.

Replies: 5
| visibility 750
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next