Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Transfer Portal my thoughts..
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 38
| visibility 1,351

Football Transfer Portal my thoughts..

May 10, 2024, 9:09 AM

Just like every year previously the talking heads are pretending like Clemson football not taking any portal players is news. Brownell has picked up what seems to be pretty good players out of the portal, and he has utilized that aspect of his program pretty well. My thoughts on the portal is that for baseball and basketball it has paid off in a big way because we weren't getting as many top recruits in those two programs. Football on the other hand has been able to recruit at a high level for most positions, and while I don't pretend there aren't portal players who could contribute, I don't know that the payoff would be as huge. Baseball and Basketball are middle of the road recruiting most years which leaves room to add players that are marked improvements across most positions. So I don't know that it is such a big deal that Clemson is not adding portal players to the football team. Again I understand that there are good players out there, but in football it seems like players transfer every year just to run from one paycheck to the next. Is that a game we really want to play? I look at most teams and the exodus in December is unreal. I feel like a lot of those teams like FSU that "win" the portal game each year aren't really gaining that much because they are forcing themselves into having to "win" the portal game every year because their team is built off the portal. Colorado is another example where the portal seemed great but didn't pan out and they will approach this year with another new team. Thoughts?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Transfer Portal my thoughts..

May 10, 2024, 9:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 10, 2024, 9:27 AM

Naaaahhhh... A rationalization would have at least a few paragraphs. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em shill I

May 10, 2024, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Transfer Portal my thoughts.. ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2024, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Transfer Portal my thoughts.. ]

Because it makes you feel better. When football is killing it in upcoming years, you can admit you were wrong. The team is building and growing. It is a process. As far as basketball, Brad is finding his stride and the current situation is perfect for Clemson basketball. Both ways of doing things are good and it depends on the situation at the time for each program. I love what Dabo and Brad are doing. Different scenarios.

May 10, 2024, 11:12 AM

Because it makes you feel better. When football is killing it in upcoming years, you can admit you were wrong. The team is building and growing. It is a process. As far as basketball, Brad is finding his stride and the current situation is perfect for Clemson basketball. Both ways of doing things are good and it depends on the situation at the time for each program. I love what Dabo and Brad are doing. Different scenarios.

I doubt JK will admit he was wrong just like the LF refuses to admit they were wrong about Brad. People on message boards are married to their preferred narrative and divorce rarely happens.

It does because youre a troll***

May 10, 2024, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Transfer Portal my thoughts.. ]

May 10, 2024, 9:34 AM

I just want to know what Dabo’s problem is. With the resources he has and the success HE has had at Clemson, his strategy in regards to the portal is weird or maybe flat out stupid. He needs a QB to win just like everyone else, why didn’t he get one? Cade ain’t it. He got outplayed and outclassed by a walk-on in the Spring game and we all watched last season. I’ll always be a fanatic, but I don’t expect much going forward. At least not at the level we were previously.

Actually, FSU has had great success with portal players for ONE year in a row.

May 10, 2024, 9:42 AM

It totally remains to be seen if they can continue that success on any ongoing basis.

The original point of the post is a good one. We recruit at a high enough level that getting players out of the portal is always going to be tougher. For two reasons. One, we are not going to buy players. Two, Dabo is NEVER going to guarantee any player a starting job, portal or coming in as a recruit. And, regardless of what may be said publicly, I would be willing to bet most high profile portal players are looking for either reason A or reason B, or both, to be fulfilled before they would show up in Clemson. Hence, they don't show up here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unsure I buy that at Bama, UGA, Ohio State, LSU & other top programs

May 10, 2024, 11:22 AM

76er® said:

It totally remains to be seen if they can continue that success on any ongoing basis.

The original point of the post is a good one. We recruit at a high enough level that getting players out of the portal is always going to be tougher. For two reasons. One, we are not going to buy players. Two, Dabo is NEVER going to guarantee any player a starting job, portal or coming in as a recruit. And, regardless of what may be said publicly, I would be willing to bet most high profile portal players are looking for either reason A or reason B, or both, to be fulfilled before they would show up in Clemson. Hence, they don't show up here.

Top programs are using the transfer portal for positional needs with no guarantee of starting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unsure I buy that at Bama, UGA, Ohio State, LSU & other top programs

May 10, 2024, 1:46 PM

SocMan2® said:

76er® said:

Top programs are using the transfer portal for positional needs with no guarantee of starting.

I guess you know that for a fact, in which case you should also know how much NIL they get. Please share

UGA took in 9 transfers for 2024 season / 6 four-stars

May 10, 2024, 4:43 PM

Yes. I do some homework. Boosters pay whatever they need to make the deal work.

Re: UGA took in 9 transfers for 2024 season / 6 four-stars

May 10, 2024, 7:16 PM

So the issue was about guaranteed starter for transfer. Is it your contention that the only thing that matters is the NIL? And that is going to be covered by alums regardless of what the coaches say?

You raise a good point, but, too be fair...

May 10, 2024, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Actually, FSU has had great success with portal players for ONE year in a row. ]

....Norvell has has success 3 years in a row with the portal.

It started when he took Germaine Johnson from UGA and he went from a part time starter to a first round pick. The next year he picked up several players including Jared Verse (thanks in large part to the success of Johnson), Trey Benson and Johnny Wilson. Those guys stayed for two years. Last year he added Keon Coleman and others. So, it's been 3 straight successful years.

However, he knows he can't continue to rely as heavily on the portal. He knows he has to improve HS recruiting. And, he has. His classes have ranked higher every year. But, when he came he inherited a dumpster fire and was then hit with COVID which essentially killed his HS recruiting. And, HS kids want to go where the wins are. He is still in the process of convincing kids that FSU is on the same level as Clemson, UGA, Bama, et. al.

He'll still use the portal. It's just the way the system is today. But, it won't be as dominant as it has been up through last year.

Re: You raise a good point, but, too be fair...

May 10, 2024, 2:48 PM

I don't track FSU that close but I knew their recruiting was down because of how crappy Taggart was. It will be interesting to see how much Norvell shifts his strategy as his recruits get more experience.

Re: You raise a good point, but, too be fair...

May 10, 2024, 6:09 PM [ in reply to You raise a good point, but, too be fair... ]

Jordan Travis has been a special kid for FSU these past few years, and easily the leader in the locker room and on the field, especially as a 6-year and overcoming some early career adversity.

With so many new additions, again, and lacking that long-time team leader, I see FSU falling under predictions by probably 2 games or so, obviously us being one of those. Championship-caliber, which they were last year, takes some intangibles that don't necessarily show up on a stat sheet. IMO that's the kind of continuity program and on-field leadership training that has been a key to Dabo's success here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actually, FSU has had great success with portal players for ONE year in a row.

May 10, 2024, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Actually, FSU has had great success with portal players for ONE year in a row. ]

Actually FSU had CRAP experience w/TP players this past season. Their best player, QB Jordan Travis, was a 5th year Sr transfer from Syracuse as a redshirt Fr BEFORE there was a transfer portal. He goes down and the transfer players who supported him bolted leaving their “teammates” to suffer such a degrading loss to Ga that even Kirby Smart was embarrassed by it. How do you call that “great success”?

The TP does not build character nor any of the other “intangibles” necessary to have a good CFB team.

Hypothetically, if JT was CU QB last season w/o TP’s & CK was FSU QB with TP’s who goes to CFP?

Re: Actually, FSU has had great success with portal players for ONE year in a row.

May 10, 2024, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Actually, FSU has had great success with portal players for ONE year in a row. ]

And 3, he’s not going to tamper which is really the reason we aren’t landing any imo

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2024, 9:47 AM

My thoughts are that we need to do a better job at utilizing the portal. We don’t have to flip a roster like other teams. We just need 3-4 impact players from the portal every year.

And I don’t see how we can compete for championships without using it.

May 10, 2024, 10:25 AM

You would rather have a portal guy returning punts and playing slot than Hamp Greene or Brannon Specter? Seems crazy to me.

May 10, 2024, 1:03 PM

I try and remain optimistic. But we went 8-4 in the regular season last year, and brought in 0 transfers.

I’m just not convinced adding a bunch of freshmen, most of whom won’t be factors, will make us a better team.

May 10, 2024, 1:38 PM

Then why recruit HS players at all if you think a team can just retool every season while the TP recycles?

Check with Coach Prime how that works out.

May 10, 2024, 5:13 PM

I literally said that we don’t need to flip our roster like other teams. I said that we only needed 3-4 players from the portal per year.

I’m not saying Clemson should be Colorado. I’m just saying it would be nice to add 3-4 dudes that can have an immediate impact the moment they arrive in campus.

May 10, 2024, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Transfer Portal my thoughts.. ]

My thoughts are that we need to do a better job at utilizing the portal. We don’t have to flip a roster like other teams. We just need 3-4 impact players from the portal every year.

And I don’t see how we can compete for championships without using it.

As usual you are spot on. Great post! My opinion on the portal is identical to yours.

May 10, 2024, 1:30 PM

You know what they say about great minds.

May 10, 2024, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Transfer Portal my thoughts.. ]

I respect that assessment, but let me ask you this. Unlike basketball with 5 players and Baseball with 9. Are three to four players going to make that big of a difference on a team that plays 20-30 players each game? I don't think any three players can change things that much on a football team, and when I say change I mean make the team fundamentally better from top to bottom. . say make a 8 win team an 11 win team just off of 3-4 players. Say we pick up a 5 star QB a 5 Star Receiver and a 5 Star RB and a 5 star OL, are those enough to change everything? Maybe but I don't think the real difference is that large.

May 10, 2024, 3:20 PM

If solely going by your example and assuming your reference of 5-star is equivalent to a starter, then I would have to say, absolutely it would make a difference. If this fall we had starter replacements at QB, WR, RB and center this would be huge. That would mean all four players would be better than what we currently have on our roster. With our defense these additions would make us a top 10 team.

For the record I am not necessarily advocating for this...but yes, it would make a huge difference.

May 10, 2024, 4:56 PM

I used five star because most people who go to the portal aren't starters, and if they were in most cases they wouldn't have transferred. I know there are exceptions, but seems like most are buried in the depth charts of their respective schools and/or had limited playing time. I take your point, but don't think any 3-4 players at any position make us instantly better. Again I look at FSU and Colorado. Would simply 3-4 players have made them better? Seems like it took a whole team in one case and in the other even a whole team didn't make them better. In the case of baseball which I follow more closely pitching was top to bottom mediocre to bad and the two transfer pitchers, Marchal and Mahlstedt, have pitched the lions share of innings for the bullpen, and have made a big difference. It just seems to make an equivalent difference in football you would need to get 10-12 significantly better players from the portal vs what we have on the team and I don't think they are there. I think I am squarely in the minority in that opinion. I appreciate your comment nonetheless.

May 10, 2024, 6:47 PM

Keep in mind, our defense is elite. Adding 4 new starters at our weakest positions on the offensive side of the ball would be significant. Our current roster is very different from Colorado's and to some degree FSU's.

May 10, 2024, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Transfer Portal my thoughts.. ]

3-4 players absolutely make a difference. This is especially true at certain positions (QB, WR, DE, CB).

May 10, 2024, 10:34 AM

There is a huge difference between basketball and football. There are so many basketball players that can shoot the ball and they just want a chance. With the football playoffs moving to 12 teams this year, this is a make or break year for Dabo's plan of recruiting great players out of high school and developing them. Dabo is a great coach and I fully believe we will be good enough to compete for a Playoff spot and also believe if we don't, Dabo is smart enough to change.

May 10, 2024, 11:28 AM

I think you will find that over time, teams that have to 'recreate' their teams every year through the portal will have great success one year followed by terrible a terrible down year followed by another great year. There will be no consistency. Some times a team will 'click' and some times it won't. And every year it will cost a fortune, win or lose.

May 10, 2024, 1:14 PM

The players see all the negativity.

“I’m so tired of fans complaining everyday about Clemson not using the portal. We get it, Coach doesn’t like it, and y’all want to utilize it. How about y’all jump in the Fan Transfer Portal or, let them folks do their jobs 😂🤣😂😂,” McKissic wrote Friday morning in a post on X (formerly Twitter).

Most of the hand wringing this last bit about Dabo and the portal

May 10, 2024, 2:35 PM

is identical to the Dumper days of yore with so many folks crying about our 'cheerleader' coach who would never amount to much and such. Folks that simply think they know better and 'it's so obvious' yet fail to offer who Dabo should cut, not recruit, and so on. Antonio Williams and Tyler Brown were two late WR pick-ups the prior two seasons while the same portal crew were whining about not TP'ing receivers, completely failing to acknowledge that it would have been those two scholarships that would have been needed for that considering the timing. And last off-season all the crying about WR and OL but hardly a word about PK which was actually an unknown void ahead.

Currently we have the nation's 3rd longest active winning streak, and our down 3 years are still top 10 overall in CFB over that span, with an overall program budget of barely Top 25.

But hey - it's a message board and people like to feel knowledgeable and important and this allows for that. So rock on.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of the hand wringing this last bit about Dabo and the portal

May 10, 2024, 2:54 PM

Well to be fair if someone was looking for an expert post they should have picked one authored by someone other than me. lol.

May 10, 2024, 3:02 PM

Soccer always recruits at an extremely high level but would not have won the natty last year without the key transfer portal players they brought in. IMO football could have easily been back to the playoffs these last several years if we would have utilized the portal. IMO we won't be a true national title contender again until we do. I hope Dabo proves me wrong though!

May 10, 2024, 5:02 PM

I only follow soccer from a distance so wasn't familiar with those players. What are the details in that case? Were they seniors/ highly rated players? What were their stats vs what was already on the team? Not trying to sharpshoot you. I am just curious.

May 10, 2024, 11:40 PM

Three of our starters were from the portal. One was the Pac 12 Player of the Year the previous year at Oregon State. Another from Oregon State was All Conference. The third player was from Tulsa where he was also that Conferences Player of The Year. We probably had a top 10-20 type team without them. They made us elite.

May 10, 2024, 3:23 PM

I believe the only reason Coach Swinney was not the #1 candidate for the Alabama opening was because of his stance on the transfer portal. I am thankful for that stance...

Replies: 38
| visibility 1,351
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next