Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Crystal ball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Crystal ball

Mar 21, 2023, 10:04 AM

Wiltfong put in one for Hevin Brown-Shuler for Clemson.

Nick Eason has been such a massive hire

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crystal ball

Mar 21, 2023, 10:07 AM

Yeah I've heard some other rumblings that we're going to get him. If I'm not mistaken he was the #1 DT on our board. That's huge considering the guys we just got in the 23' class.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Mar 21, 2023, 11:06 AM

Shuler-Brown and Champ Thompson are an impressive duo after who we landed last year.

Where exactly have you "heard rumblings"?***

Mar 21, 2023, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Crystal ball ]

Yes he has.***

Mar 21, 2023, 10:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Mar 21, 2023, 10:13 AM

I agree awesome news and read he winding it down

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Mar 21, 2023, 11:06 AM

He’s supposed to commit soon.

Mar 21, 2023, 10:17 AM

Man that would be another huge pick up on the DL!

Eason is to DL what Brian Hartline is to WRs. He just gets dudes.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2023, 10:57 AM

Agree. Good point on Hartline. But, I think that pendulum will swing this season. Maybe not the 24 cycle but I've got to believe once the WR see Rileys offense that will change. Plus coupled with the fact i think we have some under the radar receivers now that will develop to NFL potential. If not, I got to believe we'll see another hire next off season.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hope your right****

Mar 22, 2023, 4:24 AM

Mar 21, 2023, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Crystal ball ]

Already the best recruiter on the staff

screw hartline**

Mar 22, 2023, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Crystal ball ]

nm

I think a couple more cbs are on the way too.***

Mar 21, 2023, 10:18 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think a couple more cbs are on the way too.***

Mar 21, 2023, 10:48 AM

For Hevin or someone else?

Re: I think a couple more cbs are on the way too.***

Mar 21, 2023, 11:07 AM

I was wondering the same thing

Other recruits***

Mar 21, 2023, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: I think a couple more cbs are on the way too.*** ]

Re: Other recruits***

Mar 21, 2023, 12:57 PM

Does their name rhyme with Whammy Crown?

He’s not one of the ones that I was thinking of but he’d

Mar 21, 2023, 1:43 PM

be the biggest get and coaches have said that they love where they stand with him.

Mar 21, 2023, 10:50 AM

Can he recruit offense too?

Mar 21, 2023, 11:10 AM

I think the staff know who they want on offense, except maybe OL.

QB: Air Noland
RB: Eziomume (committed)
WR: Mike Matthews
TE: Bentancur (committed)
OL: a bunch of dudes

It’s just a matter of them making decisions at this point.

Mar 22, 2023, 4:30 AM

Mathews 5☆ Athlete/WR, love to have him but probably a long shot in today's recruiting climate—

Mar 22, 2023, 11:20 AM

I’d say looking at all of the weird stuff going on at Georgia and other top schools, having Dabo as your coach is the best thing for all these recruits.

Mar 21, 2023, 11:02 AM

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/.amp/football/hevin-brown-shuler-shares-thoughts-on-clemson

“It’s not that far. When you think about it… it’s right on the edge [of Georgia and South Carolina]. I can go to my mom’s house in an hour and forty-five minutes, that’s easy. A lot of Georgia guys go there, it shows you that [Clemson’s] just another home for a lot of Georgia guys, and it’s the title of “DLU”. You go there as a defensive lineman, you’re going to get drafted.”

This sounds good right now

Mar 21, 2023, 11:10 AM

Paint him orange

Mar 21, 2023, 11:46 AM

Those of you that have said we couldn’t sign a good RB because of Ship and Mafah. What Eason is doing is kind of blowing that argument up. Already got elite DLine talent? Don’t matter Eason getsem anyway.

Dabo needs to start looking at Tyler Grisham and CJ if they don’t start to produce because Eason shows you what an elite recruiter can do.

Probably the same people

Mar 21, 2023, 12:06 PM

who say we can never be great at basketball because of [fill in the blank rationalization].

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably the same people

Mar 22, 2023, 7:02 AM

sgatiger said:

who say we can never be great at basketball because of [fill in the blank rationalization].

We can never be great in basketball without commitment and investment. Guys like you always seem to miss the important part

Mar 21, 2023, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Crystal ball ]

Lots of difference in those positions. On the DL you frequently have 2 tackles and 2 DEs. These big guys need to be rotated to stay fresh so there is a realistic expectation of 4 guys getting significant playing time at DT and 4 at DE. Most of the time only using 1 RB at a time (we do use some 2 back sets but not a lot), you can only realistically expect 2 or at the very most 3 running backs would see significant time on the field. Of course, all of this changes if injuries occur. The idea that having 2 very good running backs will deter guys who want immediate playing time from coming here is still a legitimate point.

Mar 22, 2023, 8:33 AM

I agree with your point but we not only have a starting lineup. We are two and three deep at DT. There’s not a lot of room for PT. What this means is players are going to be out recruited. Tre Williams is a really good player but might get out recruited. Where will Caden Story come in? We just brought in a hell of a DT class in 2023. This 24 class looks to be very solid as well.

Also what about WR. There’s three positions and we rotate there as well. Still can’t land another Tee Higgens while OSU is stacking 5* on 5*.

My point is I think with the right recruiter we can absolutely pull in guys in back to back classes. Especially in this transfer era that we are in.

Mar 21, 2023, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Crystal ball ]

I wish one moron who says this would actually go look at the recruiters of our running backs over Dabo's tenure. Only 2 were recruited by the backs coach. That's not typically how we use our positional coaches (Eason is an oddity on that front). Grisham's blame rests in lack of progression in a lot of receivers. CJ coaches the hell out of our backs. Recruiting fails falls on the whole staff.

Mar 22, 2023, 8:38 AM

So your argument is that Eason is an oddity? That we aren’t going to find an Eason type to recruit offensive players?

I don’t put a lot of stock in Jeff Scott the OC but I did put a lot of stock in Jeff Scott the recruiter. He was very instrumental in recruiting WRs. That type of recruiter is missing on offense no matter how you slice it.

Who recruited the WRs being criticized the past two years?

Mar 22, 2023, 9:57 AM

I would argue that the WR recruiting prowess we all seem to imagine for Jeff Scott is perhaps a bit exaggerated.

He certainly brought in several really good ones over the course of decade+ like Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams, Artavis Scott, and notably Tee Higgins, but he also brought in a large number of disappointments who never panned out during that same period.

If you check out our WR recruiting classes in the years leading up to our National Championship runs, you’ll see a liberal dose of guys like Demarre Kitt and Kyrin Priester who came in highly ranked but who never made the grade. You’ll also see guys like Cornell Powell who were slow to come around and bloomed very late. In short, guys who look a lot like our current crop.

Meanwhile, during that same period, we had some exceptional examples of unheralded guys like Adam Humphries and Hunter Renfrow developing into outstanding players under Jeff Scott’s guidance.

I say all this not to downplay your point about Eason being a real star on the DL recruiting trail, but rather to give Jeff Scott props where they really belong and to perhaps illustrate an area where our staff has been lacking. Player development.

While we are certainly on a run of success in recruiting DL with a high ranking out of high school, it remains to be seen if these guys will develop and produce at the level of lesser regarded guys recruited in the past at that position.

Re: Who recruited the WRs being criticized the past two years?

Mar 22, 2023, 2:01 PM

This is a really good point on player development. I think the question could also be raised is are not developing or are we not evaluating talent out of HS?

I honestly don’t know but you do make a good point that we developed some not so highly rated recruits into stars.

Hard to say, but most of the guys we took at WR lately were

Mar 22, 2023, 2:19 PM

offered by other top-tier programs. If we misjudged them then it was a flaw common to a lot of other recruiters at other schools.

Guys like Ngata, EJ, Ladson, and both Collin’s were recruited by pretty much everyone. They looked great in high school.

I still feel like Beaux Collins is headed for a Cornell Powell type revival once he gets healthy. And I have faith that Adam Randall wasn’t a miss.

Stellato? Meh, who knows. There is almost nothing to judge by.

All the aforementioned were highly recruited and seen as 4/5-star players.

They just haven’t come around thus far.

Very different situation between DL and RB … not to say this

Mar 21, 2023, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Crystal ball ]

as an excuse, but a DL comes in knowing he can be a part of a 4-man rotation and still have his big moments.

While there is usually only one RB #1, the top four DL are many times almost interchangeable.

How a DL does when he’s on the field is not dependent on getting his number called to carry the ball or to catch a screen pass. His stat sheet isn’t going to be judged by high-visibility metrics like yards gained, and TDS scored.

Re: Very different situation between DL and RB … not to say this

Mar 22, 2023, 8:39 AM

See my reply to rhettfla above.

How many D-line coaches in America...

Mar 21, 2023, 11:51 AM

Go through conditioning/Mat drills with their players?....

Re: How many D-line coaches in America...

Mar 21, 2023, 12:41 PM

Leading by example always earns much respect.

1***

Mar 21, 2023, 1:45 PM [ in reply to How many D-line coaches in America... ]

Mar 21, 2023, 12:45 PM

Awesome news and affirmation that we are DLU. Eason doing work in maintaining our longstanding reputation that Clemson is THE place to go if you're a D lineman hoping to play at the next level.

I'm hopeful that the Riley hire will play dividends in future recruitment of wide outs and running backs. I'd like to know which RB is set to visit. Richard Young ? I like D EZ but we need to add quality depth

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe they'll play better for him this year***

Mar 21, 2023, 2:59 PM

I have him as a 3 star on my recruiting service

Mar 21, 2023, 4:09 PM

249 sports

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be a massive pickup!***

Mar 22, 2023, 6:21 AM

Mar 22, 2023, 7:21 AM

If the ACC Refs continue to allow major holding it won’t be As big a vantage as it should be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic