Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Black Rooster Review
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 3

Black Rooster Review

Sep 16, 2021, 8:25 AM

I enjoyed this spot a lot. Everything was pretty good. We got several apps and entrees and kind of shared them all. The winner was a tie between the duck breast and the crab rangoon. Overall, highly recommend to anyone who has to visit the Midlands.

Nashville Hot Fried Oysters (4/5 stars) & Cheese Board (3/5 stars)

The oysters were great. Can only do so much with fried oysters, but I thought they were about as good as it gets as far as fried seafood goes. The batter was light but flavorful and very crispy. The Nashville hot oil and spices were perfect and literally reminded me of how it tastes in Nashville

Spicy Crab Rangoon (4.5/5 stars) - Spicy, fluffy and crabby. Just a different take on something I haven't tried much before. Yum.

Filet Au Poivre w/ Gruyere Au Gratin/Broccolini (3.5/5)
Filet was overcooked. Would be higher. The peppercorn crust was on point and the sides stole thet show.

Pan Seared Duck Breast (4/5)
Most well rounded plate. The muschroom (saffron?) sauced tied everything together. I got the duck medium-well because I feared it would be greasy if I went any less cooked than that. In retrospect, I would order medium next time.

Veggie Plate (2.5/5) - No meat. What can I say?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A+ on the pigs

Sep 16, 2021, 8:27 AM

19B would be jelly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Black Rooster Review

Sep 16, 2021, 8:32 AM

Anything over med rare on a duck breast is a crime. Pictures look nice. Love a good crispy fried oyster. One of my favorite oyster dishes is at the Ordinary where they do a fried oyster slider on a hawaiian roll with some slaw and nuoc cham.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have at least one fran who has long held that the

Sep 16, 2021, 9:31 AM

fried oyster with beef tartare at the Ordinary is the best dish in Charleston. I thought it was good, but it didn't blow my hair back. The crispy oyster appetizer that 167 put on the menu mebbe 3 years ago held the Best Dish belt for a while, but had it this summer and it wasn't nearly as good. I hate when that happens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have at least one fran who has long held that the

Sep 16, 2021, 9:33 AM

My all time favorite oyster dish in CHS was at Cypress. They did five raw oysters, each topped with a slice of raw tuna, some scallion, and this soy pineapple ginger glaze. Those things made me nard in my pants. I was so sad when that place closed.

Best Thanksgiving dinner I ever had was at Cypress.

Sep 16, 2021, 9:38 AM

That place was a damn gem in a town full of good restaurants and chefs. Pretty perfect blend of upscale and unpretentious. Their charcuterie boards were insane--that guy went to Artisan Meat Share after that (mighta been when you wuz on walkabout).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, Craig Diehl. He was a neighbor in my hood on JI.

Sep 16, 2021, 9:40 AM

Had some spat with the ownership group and bailed out of town. Opened up some place on Lake Norman I believe, called Hello Sailor. The ribeye at Cypress? GTFO. Really good seared tuna dish too. ###### I miss it so much.

Oh yeah, dang, Charlotte fran was telling me about

Sep 16, 2021, 9:45 AM

Hello Sailor when we were up there a few weeks ago. Think it's tied to Katie Button and Kindred/Curate, isn't it?

Better than Terra or Al's right there?***

Sep 16, 2021, 8:33 AM

Have not been to Terra. I would say that the seafood

Sep 16, 2021, 8:36 AM

items are about on par with Al's upstairs. I'm a ##### for Al's crab cakes and scampi, so now I'm craving that so thank you.

Al's is the worst restaurant in the entire world...

Sep 16, 2021, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Better than Terra or Al's right there?*** ]

unless they have radically changed their menu.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Al's is the worst restaurant in the entire world...

Sep 16, 2021, 9:35 AM

Al's brother had a restaurant that was better...

Sep 16, 2021, 9:54 AM

but it shut down because West Columbia couldn't support a decent restaurant without it being close enough to Columbia for people to see it across the river.

Savage Craft Brewery has some good eats too though. As does Cafe Strudel.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard Terra is good, but I've never been there.

Sep 16, 2021, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Better than Terra or Al's right there?*** ]

First date with my wife was my junior prom at Al's. I have had work dinners at Al's over the years and it was good. Took wife there for our 20 year "dating anniversary" a few months back and it was really good. Price wasn't bad either. I think we both got entrees, an app, and a bottle of win for under $100.

Haven't been to Black Rooster yet.

Heard good things about Savage Brewing, but haven't been.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

It's been a long time since I went to Al's

Sep 16, 2021, 10:50 AM

I always thought Ristorante Divino (now DiVinno Rosso) was better. Love motor supply as well. Gervais and Vine is good Tapas. Il Giorgione is great on Devine street. Also love Baan Sawan for Thai.

But if you all like Al's, maybe they upped their game.

Re: It's been a long time since I went to Al's

Sep 16, 2021, 10:54 AM

Ristorante Divino is very good.

Villa Tronco is also good. My mom and step dad grew up with the Tronco family, so there's some sentimentality there too.

Motor Supply is good, but TBH, I haven't been there in years. With young kids, we don't get out much for fancy dinners in Columbia.

Never been to Gervais and Vine, but hear good things.. same for Il Giorgione.

Colas is pretty good in DT Columbia.

The Capitol City Club is worse than Shoney's. Went there for an "event" Friday night.

I can't see your pics, so let me know how to award

Sep 16, 2021, 9:29 AM

1/2 a point, because I'm rounding down until you do.

I can't see them either, desktop or mobile

Sep 16, 2021, 9:38 AM

At least we could see bengaline's pictures. Congrats on doing worse than Bengaline.

I also can't view pigs of his BlackCock***

Sep 16, 2021, 9:41 AM [ in reply to I can't see your pics, so let me know how to award ]

Not my problem, pal.

Sep 16, 2021, 9:52 AM [ in reply to I can't see your pics, so let me know how to award ]

Google Images is ubiquitous. If your workplace is blocking those, you work in Russia.

They don't work for me either.***

Sep 16, 2021, 10:31 AM

Here's the original

Sep 16, 2021, 10:36 AM

How much of a turd did you feel like

Sep 16, 2021, 10:39 AM

making everybody wait while you took the pictures of the food.

Also, where are the poop pictures of the food?

I want to see what it looked like after your body finished processing. Especially any entrees that had corn.

It took literally 8 seconds to take pictures of the food.

Sep 16, 2021, 10:41 AM

Haven't pooped yet. On my 2nd coffee. Will report back.

I hate those paper straws. I bet it made your Kool-Aid

Sep 16, 2021, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Here's the original ]

taste funny

They don't work for me, tri-ther . . . No cock-ish pics***

Sep 16, 2021, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Not my problem, pal. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 25
| visibility 3
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic