Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Angel Hernandez Quitting MLB Effective Immediately
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1271

Angel Hernandez Quitting MLB Effective Immediately

May 28, 2024, 2:25 PM

I don't know if this has been posted here yet but this is a great day for the integrity of MLB. I have no problems with the guy personally but there is no doubt that he was a poor umpire and repeatedly got calls wrong. The game will be better without him on the field

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Angel Hernandez Quitting MLB Effective Immediately

May 28, 2024, 2:35 PM

I don't know that I would call his "retiring" quitting.

I think he was given the option to retire or get canned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2024, 3:05 PM

He has always been a jerk. He pushed players and managers buttons to create conflict, and he was a terrible umpire. MLB will be better without him. Seems like he was not happy unless he got something started.

We need more Umpires like Jim Joyce ! Remember the umpire he had the character to admit he blew the call. It took a lot of courage for Joyce to immediately admin he missed the call costing either a no hitter or a perfect game for an MLB pitcher. I don’t remember the pitcher’s name, but it took a lot of courage for the Umpire to quickly admit he blew the call. And it was great sports moment the way player's rallied around him.

He threw the first pitch in the next game the following day. I believe he had tears in his eyes either the game he missed the call or the game the next day after a bad call kept this players name and accomplishment from MLB history.

A Great moment in sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2024, 3:08 PM

Armando Galarraga

May 28, 2024, 3:51 PM

I don’t watch MLB and never have but I’ve heard his name before so that should tell you something! My question is if he was so bad and controversial WHY did it take so long to get rid of him? Seems like he would have been fired years ago.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is a great question. I'm asking it, too . . . . I'll guess . . . the Union?

May 28, 2024, 4:05 PM

Dude was TERRIBLE at his job . . . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

May 28, 2024, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Angel Hernandez Quitting MLB Effective Immediately ]

Two reasons - the Umpires Union, and MLB's fear of lawsuits. He had sued MLB for racial discrimination (his case was thrown out).

May 29, 2024, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Angel Hernandez Quitting MLB Effective Immediately ]

MLB Umpire Union kept him employed! He should have been fired 20 years ago!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2024, 11:26 AM

He basically took a buyout.

Question is why it took so many years but he'd only had around 10 games per year the last couple of years.

One talking head pointed out yesterday that he is NOT the worst rated umpire behind the plate.

May 29, 2024, 11:55 AM

Which says something about the way the game is managed. Umps are gonna miss some that's a given, but last night in the Braves game some of the called strikes were 6 inches out of the zone and some of the balls called were in the zone completely. I don't know if the computerized strike zone is the answer because you still need an Umpire for plays at the plate and to call foul and fair balls.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2024, 1:22 PM

You can still have an umpire behind the plate with computerized ball/strike technology. It's already in place in the minors.

Automated Balls/Strikes prolly coming in 2025 or 2026

May 29, 2024, 11:30 AM

All of the minor leagues use it and it is working well. A team gets X number of appeals just like with base running calls. Can't come soon enough.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1271
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic