I bought a single from Whole Foods on Saturday. About 1.75" thick and around 17 oz. The sell-by was Monday. I just ate it tonight.
The taste was fine, but is it typical for the outside to callous up on a dry aged cut? The inside was PERFECTLY cooked to a mid-rare, but the light char on the outside almost took on a biltong texture on about half of each side. It made it really hard to cut into and IMPOSSIBLE to chew those bites. So I gave them to the dog.
Learn me something about what I did wrong. Did I wait to long to cook it? I just seasoned with Cavenders and salt like I do for most other weeknight steak meals.
Probably of old age, or a stabbing, many years from now. Aged beef, wet or dry but especially dry, will develop a “crust” of what is essentially mold. It’s anaerobic in cryovac’d wet aging, and even after 30-40 days, it’s rare that I’m trimming anything off a brisket besides fat. Dry aging is trickier, and generally not recommended for anybody but pros with the proper facilities. Not that you were trying to dry age, but those couple days probably upped that bacterial mold crust some.
Anyway, probably not gonna hurt you, but groce that you ate it, idiot.