Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My son is not an athlete.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

My son is not an athlete.

May 22, 2014, 10:02 AM

He has improved tremendously during his first year of coaches pitch, but just doesn't yet have the coordination it takes to be a baseball player. He loves going out there though. He loves the friends he has made.

The coach he has had this season was excellent and had him play several different positions throughout the season so that he could learn, but right field was his position, and that is where he was playing in the end of season tournament.

The boy's team won their first game and the whole team was full of hope that they could win it all. My son was just happy he got to play baseball again. When the second game started, you could tell our team was outmatched. Their opponents' fielding was fast and accurate, and more than half of their lineup had the potential to hit yard.

In the bottom of the third inning, my son was out in right field standing straight legged with his glove hand behind his back. Keeping his head in the game is not his strong suit.

The first up to bat was their 3rd in the lineup. He had already hit a triple and a hr. He swung at the second pitch and hit a hard line drive to right center. I could only mumble the words "catch it" as I watched it fly to the outfield and my son start to run for it. He dove. Then I hear the POP of the ball hitting the palm of my son's glove, followed immediately by the crowd from both teams erupting in screams and applause. It was truly an amazing catch, by any standards, and the only outfield catch anyone on the team has made all season.

I couldn't take my eyes off his smile, even though other fathers were patting me on the back saying things that I didn't hear. I can't explain my pride in the boy for that moment. It doesn't really make sense to me why I am so amazed by his single accomplishment on a baseball field, but it made me want to cry. Still does.

Our team lost. Most of the boys were moping, a couple were crying, because their season was over. My boy was still just happy he got to play baseball. After the pep talk, the coach asked the team who they thought deserved the game ball. Every one of those boys yelled out my son's name, and he got his only game ball of the season.

I've never liked baseball. Until now.

tl;dr: read it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's good stuff right there.

May 22, 2014, 10:06 AM

Congrats to your son.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I cried. I laughed. 10/10***

May 22, 2014, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty cool story, this is why I want a son*.

May 22, 2014, 10:09 AM

*or an athletic girl

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

You get what you get***

May 22, 2014, 10:13 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not if you go get one from a store in China.***

May 22, 2014, 10:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Touche***

May 22, 2014, 10:17 AM

Definitely not trying to one-up you, but I'll share a

May 22, 2014, 10:15 AM

similar story soon. How old is your boy? Congrats to him for the catch and congrats to you for the job you're doing raising him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He just turned 7.***

May 22, 2014, 10:16 AM

He will never, ever forget that. It's quite possible that

May 22, 2014, 10:19 AM

his entire life has changed direction. I'm not kidding at all, a moment and a memory like that can provide a boost to confidence and ego that pays benefits from now on.

Great story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

^^^true^^^***

May 22, 2014, 10:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said almost those exact same words to my wife.

May 22, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to He will never, ever forget that. It's quite possible that ]

She is proud of him, but I don't think she understands the impact something like that can have on him. It certainly has had an effect on me.

Great story

May 22, 2014, 10:35 AM

It's amazing how proud a father can be of their children.

And you're right, that single moment in the outfield could be a moment that propels his confidence and enthusiasm for the game of baseball, and life in general.

It is truly an amazing thing to see your kids be proud of themselves and have others acknowledge them.

Now, whoever is cutting those gawd dang onions, please stop...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome post. Thanks.***

May 22, 2014, 10:39 AM

Definitely deserving of his first can of skoal. Congrats!***

May 22, 2014, 10:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because there were 12 players on the team, and

May 22, 2014, 10:54 AM

only 10 players on the field, my boy was one of the kids that would rotate out every other inning. While in the dugout, he would always go through the coach's bag, find the sunflower seeds, and eat them all. It made me chuckle. You would think the coach would learn not to pull him.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

May 22, 2014, 10:48 AM

Makes me miss coaching baseball when I hear stuff like that.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great story!

May 22, 2014, 11:42 AM

I was a horrible baseball player. But I still remember my one and only hit in fast pitch...a line drive screamer to the fence to win the game.

The only other time I reached base that season was by a walk or being hit with the ball.

I was pretty bad a$$ in coaches pitch so yeaaa my first season of fast pitch was my last. lol

Golf and basketball were my sports...played a little soccer as a kid too.

Sorry, I don't have kids.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes I think our greatest sense of pride comes from

May 22, 2014, 11:53 AM

accomplishments of the younger among us.

Congratulations to your son and you, not only for his great feat, but for your post about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great story. 9/10

May 22, 2014, 11:55 AM

Need moar b00bs to reach 10/10

TL: Read it all. Happy I did.***

May 22, 2014, 12:19 PM

Nice! :-)***

May 22, 2014, 12:23 PM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1