Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So help me understand this.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 98
| visibility 2755

So help me understand this.......

Aug 2, 2012, 5:43 AM

The majority who went out to support Chick Fil A on Wednesday are saying they did it for CFA's right to "Freedom Of Speech". Is that correct?

So when christian values groups protested and called for boycotts against JC Pennys, Starbucks, Home Depot, Kraft, Office Depot, Target, Toys R US and others its called EXCERCISING their freedom of speech.

BUT

When groups calling for equal rights for everyone call for protest and boycott against Chick Fil A its called INFRINGING on CFA freedom of speech.

So which is it?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

" Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think."

Re: So help me understand this.......

Aug 2, 2012, 6:44 AM

> The majority who went out to support Chick Fil A on
> Wednesday are saying they did it for CFA's right to
> "Freedom Of Speech". Is that correct?
>
>
> So when christian values groups protested and called
> for boycotts against JC Pennys, Home Depot, Kraft,
> Office Depot, Target, Toys R US and others its called
> EXCERCISING their freedom of speech.
>
> BUT
>
> When groups calling for equal rights for everyone
> call for protest and boycott against Chick Fil A its
> called INFRINGING on CFA freedom of speech.
>
> So which is it?

The problem is not the protest. The problem is government denying CFA the right to operate a business because of the beliefs. Nobody tried to keep those other companies from actually being in business.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2012, 6:49 AM

Its not about CFA beliefs, its about CFA donating millions of dollars to anti gay hate groups.

Businesses should stay out of the political and culture wars and offer EQUAL treatment/rights to everyone!

" Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think."

Who are you to tell businees owners how to handle their

Aug 2, 2012, 7:14 AM

affairs? Let the market decide. If a business owner makes controversial public statements or runs the business in a way that promotes certain philosophical, political, or religious ideals, he/she will have to deal with the consequences when people hear about those statements/actions and decide whether or not to patronize the business.

I have the same rights......

Aug 2, 2012, 7:23 AM

I have the same rights to voice my displeasure against CFA for donating to hate groups as christian groups do against companies that offer equal rights to everyone!

That's not what you said and it's not the point I addressed.

Aug 2, 2012, 7:42 AM

You said "Businesses should stay out of the political and culture wars". Are you saying Home Depot should stop sponsoring gay pride parades? It sounds to me like what you really meant was that "Businesses should stay out of the political and culture wars if they aren't on my side." I somewhat agree with you. I would love for some of those large businesses to quit promoting the idea that we should redefine the institution of marriage to include people of the same gender. I have asked a couple of those companies to remain neutral in the culture war if they want to retain my business. But I disagree with the idea that they should stay out of them altogether.

Its called equal rights for everyone.......

Aug 2, 2012, 7:52 AM

If you want the goverment to provide you with over 1,000 benifits because you are "married" then that same right should be affored to everyone.

LOL. There is no right. Also the only real gov't benefit is

Aug 2, 2012, 8:01 AM

a tax break that the government itself created years ago because marriage creates stability and the government prefers a stable tax base. Married people didn't lobby or ask for it. Government created it!!

Re: LOL. There is no right. Also the only real gov't benefit is

Aug 2, 2012, 8:08 AM

I'm not getting into the culture war, but there is no tax break for marriage. Grab your tables and do the math. There is a tax penalty. The "defense of marriage" act passed under George Bush removed this penalty at lower income levels and reduced it at higher income levels. But, past a threshold, you still pay more filing married jointly than two individual filers earning the same amount.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Married couples can file jointly and combine deductions or

Aug 2, 2012, 8:16 AM

write off losses or deductions from one to the other. The tax code is screwy, the tax breaks or penalties are complicated and it all depends on your income. It is a family by family bracket by bracket thing.

Re: Married couples can file jointly and combine deductions or

Aug 2, 2012, 9:51 AM

Then, at least, you concede that there is no universal tax benefit to being married. I know that, in my case, we pay more taxes than we would if we filed separately and it gets worse every year as our income grows.

Spousal inheritance laws are probably the most discriminatory and a small amount of estate planning can negate most of that prejudice unless you have more than a million dollars in assets.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RockSolid was pointing out benefits ....

Aug 2, 2012, 12:17 PM

to being married and for most married couples taxes is one of the benefits. I mentioned taxes as well because in ways the government promotes marriage because married people move less than single people which creates a more stable tax base which benefits government.

I gay marriage legal in Charleston?

Aug 2, 2012, 12:24 PM

Jus' wonderin why you're still single.

I thought I lived in Cola according to you? Make up your

Aug 2, 2012, 12:34 PM

mind idiot.

I never once said that...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:58 PM

Try to keep up with your lies, homosexual idiot.

Wrong! ..........

Aug 2, 2012, 8:09 AM [ in reply to LOL. There is no right. Also the only real gov't benefit is ]

Here are a few

Tax Benefits
•Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
•Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits
•Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
•Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
•Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
•Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits
•Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
•Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
•Receiving public assistance benefits.

Employment Benefits
•Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
•Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
•Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
•Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits
•Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
•Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits
•Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
•Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits
•Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
•Applying for joint foster care rights.
•Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
•Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits
•Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
•Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits
•Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
•Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
•Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.

Other Legal Benefits and Protections
•Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
•Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
•Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
•Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
•Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
•Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

Marriage is not a government granted right and most of the

Aug 2, 2012, 8:22 AM

things you posted were given as privileges by the government. They are not Constitutional, but government created by a government that benefits from a stable tax base which is the main reason the government promotes families. Many of those extend to children as well.

Re: Marriage is not a government granted right and most of the

Aug 2, 2012, 9:14 AM

What is a constitutionally protected right is equal protection under the law. If the supreme court decides that the government has denied gay persons equal protection under the law by preventing them from marrying, then it is a constitutionally protected right as well.

States have put it to vote and most vote no.***

Aug 2, 2012, 9:20 AM

Re: States have put it to vote and most vote no.***

Aug 2, 2012, 9:59 AM

That's the funny thing about rights. The point is that you can't vote them away without a constitutional amendment to the US constitution.

Nothing was being voted away. They were voting on

Aug 2, 2012, 12:15 PM

whether to extend the privilege to gays. And they keep voting NO!

Where do gays have the RIGHT in the Constitution to be married? Nowhere! If they did there would be no need for states to vote on it, nor a need for this debate.

I love how the left keeps bringing up the talking point ... "The majority of Americans in every poll are for gay marriage". If that is true, why even in a liberal state like California is the proposition repeatedly voted down? Clearly people are lying when answering polls. Which has been known a long time and why we actually have elections rather than polls.

Re: Nothing was being voted away. They were voting on

Aug 2, 2012, 3:06 PM

Well, you have the right to equal protection under the laws (the 14th Amendment). So when the government grants privileges to some, it has to grant them to all, unless it has a good reason. So, if the court says the government doesn't have a good reason (religious beliefs are not good reasons) to restrict marriage to a man and a woman then the the government has to either recognize no marriages, or recognize gay and straight marriages.

Re: Wrong! ..........

Aug 2, 2012, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Wrong! .......... ]

A majority of the things you list are not federal issues. Survivorship and designation of benefits probably the only major one. Despite your insistence, married filed jointly does not create an automatic tax advantage. And, prior to GWB, it was punitive.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

Gay people have the right to get married as it is now. ****

Aug 2, 2012, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Its called equal rights for everyone....... ]

A privately owned businss can do as it pleases and stop the

Aug 2, 2012, 7:31 AM [ in reply to Re: So help me understand this....... ]

BS rhetoric. Being anti-gay marriage is not hate speech and none of the organizations they support exist solely to fight gay marriage. They are Christian groups that do a lot of things, including promoting traditional marriage.

ChickfilA and the Koch brothers combined donate what amounts to a drop in the bucket compared to the money donated to anti-American and anti-capitalistic organizations by George Soros. The hero of the left.

I love how the left bashes Christians, but embrace Muslims. Talk about STUPID!!!

Re: STUPID!!!

Aug 2, 2012, 9:39 AM

The problem here is that you have appropriated the term "Christian" for whatever you think it means. To bash the actions and opinions of some, but not all, Christians is not to bash Christianity or Christians in general.

Your remarks about Mr. Soros's supposed anti-capitalist beliefs are hilarious. The guy made billions on currency speculation (read: capitalist money making venture), then donated lots of it to groups that supported pro-democracy and pro-capitalist movements behind the iron curtain. I'll translate: he was supporting groups that agitated against actual anti-capitalist governments who were America's enemies. He has also donated millions to fund microfinance projects, which provide small loans to people in poor countries so that they can start up small businesses and improve their lives. That sounds like someone who is dedicated to use the forces of capitalism to better the lives of the less fortunate, not someone who is anti-capitalistic, but whatever.

While you might find the people he supports in this country to be more left than you'd like, he's hardly in favor of anti-capitalist, totalitarian government.

Focus on the Family is not a "hate group."

Aug 2, 2012, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: So help me understand this....... ]

Hope that helps.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

The liberalists hate on everybody, but they get a free pass.

Aug 2, 2012, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: So help me understand this....... ]

But, everytime Christians take a stand for our beliefs, we are called haters. I am totally against homosexuality for a number of reasons, but on occasions where they have been guests in my home I have treated them with the same respect and hospitality as I do everyone else. However, I still am opposed to their lifestyle.

They did not donate "millions"...darn those pesky facts!

Aug 2, 2012, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: So help me understand this....... ]

They donated $2K to the groups you classify as "hate" groups. But hey, who needs the truth to make an arguement.

You would not know a fact if it slapped you in the face

Aug 2, 2012, 12:56 PM

google and see all the articles showing how much was given.

I know its hard for mainstream christians to understand the simple concept of truth

Give me a link so I can see your source...

Aug 2, 2012, 1:14 PM

Because I have seen the numbers.

They gave about 2K to the groups you are categorizing as "hate" groups. Unless you are are saying that the Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a hate group (the gave about 1/2 million to them); which would mean that Dabo is a big supporter of hate groups since he regularly gives speeches at FCA meetings.

There is no such thing as an "anti-gay hate group".

Aug 2, 2012, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: So help me understand this....... ]

Hate groups commit murders. When and where were murders committed by organizations that Chick-Fil-A gave money to?

So if a company came out in favor of gay marriage

Aug 2, 2012, 6:58 AM [ in reply to Re: So help me understand this....... ]

and a town would not let them build a restaurant there b/c of being in favor of it, all of you who went out yesterday would again go out and support that restaurant as well?

No..... they would start shouting Bible Scriptures ****

Aug 2, 2012, 7:02 AM

I respect all the people who support Chickfila bc

Aug 2, 2012, 7:19 AM

their christian beliefs makes them disagree with gay marriage so much more than all this crap I hear about free speech and the first amendment.

If this same thing was going on b/c Chickfila supported gay marriage no one would come out and get a sandwich to support their first amendment rights and they know it! It's hypocrisy at its finest! It blows my mind sometimes how people can be so claim to be so strong in their religious beliefs yet will flat out lie and try to hide hide said beliefs when supporting an issue.

I'm agnostic. I went to CFA yesterday the same as most I

Aug 2, 2012, 7:47 AM

have seen interviewed on TV. 1st amend rights. Conservatives are tired of the left ignoring the Constitution. It is not a living document. The memoires and letters of the founding fathers support their view that it is the blue print for our government and foundation of our laws. If it were meant to be a living document they would have made it easier to amend and change.

Then respect the 1st Amendment Rights of everyone! ***

Aug 2, 2012, 7:58 AM

The left is not saying they disagree, they are trying to

Aug 2, 2012, 8:06 AM

silence the right, including mayors saying we don't want your jobs. That's insane and the government limiting 1st amend rights and abuse of power.

Yep.***

Aug 2, 2012, 9:24 AM

Yes. That's a gov't abuse of the 1st Admend.***

Aug 2, 2012, 7:41 AM [ in reply to So if a company came out in favor of gay marriage ]

If the food and service was good...absolutely.***

Aug 2, 2012, 8:55 AM [ in reply to So if a company came out in favor of gay marriage ]

Re: So if a company came out in favor of gay marriage

Aug 2, 2012, 9:08 AM [ in reply to So if a company came out in favor of gay marriage ]

If their food was anywhere near as delicious as Chick-Fil-A's, absolutely.

#### Yes!

Aug 2, 2012, 9:21 AM [ in reply to So if a company came out in favor of gay marriage ]

I do not have to agree with or support what anyone feels or believes, but I do support their right to feel or believe it. And, my views are not driven by religion (as a lot of posters on here indicate that religion is from where all of this stems). My views are driven by freedom and the Constitution. I think homosexuals should be allowed to be married, and I think Cathy can believe whatever the #### he wants to believe. I did stand in line for an hour yesterday at Chick-fil-A b/c I support Cathy's right to have his own beliefs. However, I do not agree with his belief.

And, a town has the right to prevent a company from opening its doors in their town. It just has to be done legally and via the appropriate avenues. It shouldn't be b/c one person or group says so or disagrees with their beliefs. If the town doesn't want the business, the business most likely won't survive. The free market is amazing (and apparently, America loves Chick-fil-A).

GO TIGERS!!!!

Re: #### Yes!

Aug 2, 2012, 10:11 AM

I gave you a thumbs up because you almost got it right. The first paragraph is dead-on and is how I feel. But this part, a town has the right to prevent a company from opening its doors in their town. It just has to be done legally and via the appropriate avenues, is way off. The government should not be activist in this matter. Chick-fil-A is a legitimate business, if they want to buy a properly zoned property and are willing to go through the permitting procedures like in every other city, like every other restaurant has the right to do, then the government shouldn't actively prevent them from doing so. Like you finished up saying, If the town doesn't want the business, the business most likely won't survive. The free market is amazing (and apparently, America loves Chick-fil-A). Let the market decide.

I didn't mean the government of the town...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:05 AM

...I meant the town (as in the people in that town). But, I understand that I didn't really convey that in the way that I wanted. One legal way would be not going to the business and giving them your money after the business is open. However, I'm guessing that there is some legal way that a business could be stopped from opening via some BS lawyering. I don't consider Obamacare to be constitutional, but we all know how that turned out. I'm not saying that going that route would be "right," but it could very well be legal. Legal and right are two diffeent things. There are plenty of dry counties in this country. How did that happen? Would they have to allow a business to come in and sell alcohol?? I would imagine if a town felt strongly enough about not having a business in their town, they could make it happen in a legal manner. Of course, I could just be FOS. I don't mind being told so :)

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Re: I didn't mean the government of the town...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:41 PM

Sure, any group or individuals have every right to try and block any business from moving in to their town. I'm sure there are legal ways of making things difficult for C-f-A, but in the end unless they were doing something illegal there wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be any way to prvent them from opening a store. The alcohol analogy is different in that in a dry county all forms af alcohol sales are banned. If a city wanted to exclude C-f-A from doing business they would have to enact a 'chicken ban' or a 'fast-food ban'. If there's a KFC in Boston then they have to allow C-f-A.
On a side note, has anybody heard Boston Mayor Tom (Archie Bunker) Menino talk and not wondered how this ignorant fat slob got elected in the first place? Bostonians are dumber than I remember.

The mainstream christians gave the goverment that right

Aug 2, 2012, 7:18 AM [ in reply to Re: So help me understand this....... ]

People gave the goverment the right to block businesses from openning. Christian groups have fought for years to block adult book stores and strip clubs from openning stores because of adverse secondary effects the business may cause.

So if christian groups can block a business from openning, why can't other groups block a business from openning?

In the case of adult book stores and strip clubs, you're

Aug 2, 2012, 7:49 AM

talking about restrictions because of the type of business. With the Chik-fil-A issue, it's based on the religious views of the owner, not the type of business, the business hours, or the customers.

Their views causing an uproar, traffic concerns, protesters

Aug 2, 2012, 8:05 AM

Anything can be used against CFA if its presented correctly to block them from openning a store

lol and they will be sued and ChickfilA will win. I love the

Aug 2, 2012, 8:10 AM

tolerance, respect for rule of law, and common sense of liberals like you. So much for the enlightened educated and tolerant left.

Once again, so wrong. There are no efforts to keep them from

Aug 2, 2012, 7:56 AM [ in reply to The mainstream christians gave the goverment that right ]

opening, just basic zoning ordinances that limit how closely they can open to churches, and also schools. And public schools have nothing to do with religion. It's all about safety and decency. Concepts many liberals don't get. Almost all cities and counties zone where strip clubs and adult book store and theaters can open.

I think their boycotts are stupid but I also shrug it off

Aug 2, 2012, 7:24 AM

but the ChickFilA situation is a big deal because it's an election year and the mainstream media and Obama admin are going crazy courting the gay audience, which is only about 3 or 4% of the population according to most credible sources. The outlandish attacks on ChickfilA by the left the past 2 weeks have really galvanized conservatives fed up with this administration and the complete sell out of the mainstream media to get Barry reelected.

Also, ChickfilA is a privately held family business, whereas those other companies are large public companies traded on the stock exchanges. That does make a difference in how they donate their money.

IF CFA donated millions to anti Muslim, Nazi, KKK

Aug 2, 2012, 7:31 AM

IF CFA donated millions to anti Muslim groups, Nazi groups, KKK etc etc would you still feel the same way?

Re: IF CFA donated millions to anti Muslim, Nazi, KKK

Aug 2, 2012, 7:37 AM

those examples are nothing like the gay marriage debate. as far as gays, to each their own, but they should have a civil union. marriage is a man and a woman.

Gov needs to get out of marriages, leave that up to the

Aug 2, 2012, 7:47 AM

Gov needs to get out of marriages, leave that up to the church. At the same time remove the over 1,000 benefits the government gives to married couples.

Re: Gov needs to get out of marriages, leave that up to the

Aug 2, 2012, 7:51 AM

name me a tenth of those benefits.

Rights given to married couples

Aug 2, 2012, 8:11 AM

Here are a few

Tax Benefits
•Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
•Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits
•Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
•Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
•Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
•Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits
•Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
•Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
•Receiving public assistance benefits.

Employment Benefits
•Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
•Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
•Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
•Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits
•Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
•Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits
•Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
•Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits
•Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
•Applying for joint foster care rights.
•Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
•Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits
•Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
•Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits
•Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
•Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
•Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.

Other Legal Benefits and Protections
•Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
•Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
•Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
•Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
•Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
•Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

Again, many if not most of those are not limited to married

Aug 2, 2012, 9:24 AM

couples and many of those were given to couples by the government willingly to promote marriage/families since the government benefits from a stable tax base.

Re: Rights given to married couples

Aug 2, 2012, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Rights given to married couples ]

those are not all gov't benefits. insurance,for one,is a public enterprise, and the gov't shouldn't make them provide benefits to illegal "partnerships." if you own a company,do you want the gov't to run it for you?

Re: Gov needs to get out of marriages, leave that up to the

Aug 2, 2012, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Gov needs to get out of marriages, leave that up to the ]

That's a weirdly specific request...married couples can file tax returns jointly, utilize life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, receiving SS, medicare, and disability benefits for your spouse, and being able to obtain insurance benefits at work for your spuse. How does gay couples having access to these rights affect you in any way?

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

the constant use of your subject in the message is

Aug 2, 2012, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Gov needs to get out of marriages, leave that up to the ]

the constant use of your subject in the message is really annoying.

Re: IF CFA donated millions to anti Muslim, Nazi, KKK

Aug 2, 2012, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: IF CFA donated millions to anti Muslim, Nazi, KKK ]

So free speech should only exist for popular or at least semi-popular opinions?

It's their right, but I'd not spend my money there, but I

Aug 2, 2012, 7:39 AM [ in reply to IF CFA donated millions to anti Muslim, Nazi, KKK ]

wouldn't be screaming boycott either. Let's be honest, gays love drama and they know Barry needs them right now which is the ONLY reason he recently "evolved" into supporting gy marriage and they are enjoying all the attention in the media.

And it's backfiring. Not only did CFA have a record day yesterday, but many black pastors are now openly bashing Obama and saying he doesn't own their votes.

This thing is galvanizing the conservative base and pushing away votes in Obama's strongest demographic. Not what gays and the mainstream media had planned when they started pounding CFA 2 weeks ago.

But they dont. Any the groups the donate money to help

Aug 2, 2012, 8:41 AM [ in reply to IF CFA donated millions to anti Muslim, Nazi, KKK ]

Families. The money was not given and said hey use this to stop prop 8. NEWS FLASH,,, CHRISTIANS Belive in the Biblical definition of marriage! Has not change in hundreds of years! We believe in the Bible. This is not discrimination and quit with your jack a$$ hypotheticals.

Is that a christian value taught ...........

Aug 2, 2012, 9:32 AM

"This is not discrimination and quit with your jack a$$ hypotheticals"

Is that a christian value taught in the bible you confess to read? I bet Mr Cathy would not approve of your language!

Re: But they dont. Any the groups the donate money to help

Aug 2, 2012, 9:45 AM [ in reply to But they dont. Any the groups the donate money to help ]

Wasn't there polygamy in the bible? And didn't the bible condone slavery? And doesn't the Bible say that a wife should basically be subservient to her husband? You don't get to claim that something supports your beliefs then disavow some of it.

The old test. is history, Christians live by the new test.***

Aug 2, 2012, 12:36 PM

Simple: Both sides are seeing who can speak the loudest.

Aug 2, 2012, 7:32 AM

I would say that CFA supporters are speaking the loudest. Now I dont have a dog in this fight. I'm whatcha call a hybrid. Im not a Christian...but I am conservative. So thats just how I see it from a completely unattached and emotionless point of view. Personally I thing Bojangles is BAWS!

Re: Simple: Both sides are seeing who can speak the loudest.

Aug 2, 2012, 9:47 AM

Agreed that Bojangles makes the best chicken biscuit in the world. Chick-fil-a's biscuit is a joke.

Aug 2, 2012, 8:14 AM

Let me guess...RockSolid voted for Obama...

That would prolly be a safe bet.***

Aug 2, 2012, 8:29 AM

So when one group

Aug 2, 2012, 8:18 AM

fights for tolerance of their beliefs based on their freedoms and rights...

Is it ok for them to be intolerant of those who disagree?

That's liberalism at it's finest.

Aug 2, 2012, 8:59 AM

Tolerant of what they chose to be tolerant of, as long as it benefits them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Thats actually a very interesting question. Often there are

Aug 2, 2012, 9:18 AM [ in reply to So when one group ]

cases where the question is where do my rights end and yours begin. I think what is making this so big is we're in an election year with an unpopular and polarizing president and a mainstream media that is suppose to be unbiased but clearly not.

I agree with your point....the interesting thing about this,

Aug 2, 2012, 8:19 AM

does anyone know what the comment was that Dan Cathy made to a BAPTIST website????

AJC: Company president Dan Cathy told a Baptist website the Atlanta-based restaurant chain is "guilty as charged" in its support of traditional marriage.

"We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said in article published Monday by the Baptist Press. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

In Greek and Roman societies, homosexuality was commonplace

Aug 2, 2012, 8:25 AM

but even they would have laughed at anyone talking about "homosexual marriage."

Aug 2, 2012, 9:33 AM

Sorry guys, but my reasoning is plain and simple.

I support CFA because they have stood by their moral guidelines for years since they opened for business. They have not given into the pressures of everyone else wanting them to be a certain way. They support Christian values and I for one appreciate that. Yes - there have been numerous times that I wished they were open on Sunday like everyone else. But they stood firm. This stance is simply following the guidelines stated clearly in the Bible. If that is wrong, then it just has to be wrong. You must support what you believe in. Those who believe the Bible to be wrong can just continue to support something else I guess. IMO - CFA is right, and I support what they are stating. I don't like the 'world' attempting to force them to say/do what the 'world' wants them to do. This is my little way of saying exactly that. Anyone offended by my support is just offended, and can get over it. Peace out.

Mayor's threatening no permits is totally from the left.***

Aug 2, 2012, 9:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2012, 9:57 AM

As a supporter of gay marriage, here's my opinion:

1. Companies can do whatever they want in terms of supporting political causes. Whether that's a good business decision is up for others to decide.

2. Individuals can and should use their best judgment in terms of where they spend their money.

3. It's generally not a good idea to examine everyone's personal beliefs when deciding who to do business with our not. I don't want someone doing that to me, because I know I hold some unpopular opinions, so I'll try to avoid doing that to others. Also, it's hard to know everything about all the places where you buy products and services. You'll probably do a bad job of casting judgment anyway.

4. When personal beliefs become corporate policy, then I think the tables have turned and the company is asking people to judge it. I've known for years that Chick-fil-a was run by people whose beliefs I did not share, however, they generally kept that to themselves, at least to my knowledge. When you have your CEO go out and make statements, I take that as a statement of corporate policy, and an invitation for me to judge them based on that policy.

5. The government should not be involved in judging businesses based on their political speech. That's a clear first amendment issue. Protecting speech isn't a popular thing (both sides are guilty here), which is why we need the first amendment.

Aug 2, 2012, 11:34 AM

The CEO didnt go out and make a statement. He was asked a question and answered honestly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 2, 2012, 3:11 PM

An answer to a question is a statement. And an answer provided by a CEO, who knows he is the corporation's figurehead/leader, means something. It's not like he was tricked into divulging this information. Also, his answer was an answer for the corporation, not him personally. He said that the company was "guilty as charged" in supporting the "biblical definition of the family unit." He didn't say that was his just personal belief.

You clearly are provoking things rather than taking a

Aug 2, 2012, 9:58 AM

position, for starters. It's really simple: ANY group that calls for an economic boycott based upon a 1st Amendment issue is wrong. Period. Gay, Christian, Lesbian, whatever. Wrong.

Re: You clearly are provoking things rather than taking a

Aug 2, 2012, 10:04 AM

The first amendment prevents the government from infringing upon your right to free speech. It does nothing to prevent individuals from exercising their free speech rights in terms of boycotting a particular business.

So, government should not single out a business based on political statements by the business owner, but individuals can and should judge for themselves.

For example, African Americans used economic boycotts to great effect during the civil rights movement. They would avoid businesses that wouldn't hire them, or otherwise mistreated them. Was that the wrong thing to do?

Aug 2, 2012, 11:08 AM

We're not talking about the '60's civil rights movement. We're talking about Dan Cathy's right to his own opinion and not getting criticized for it. You people have overstepped on this issue...now you have to ask yourself, was it worth it? I'm in support of a legalized "union", so to speak and all the rights it entails. But marriage is between a man and a woman. Period.

Aug 2, 2012, 3:18 PM

No, the post I was replying to said that it was wrong for people to economically boycott a business that holds beliefs that they do not agree with. I disagreed with that post by providing an example that demonstrates that economic boycotts are not only legal, but sometimes the only moral thing to do.

While I certainly agree that the Jim Crowe era and the systematic oppression of African Americans is not the same thing as marriage rights, I don't think that difference changes my opinion of whether a private boycott is a good idea.

Aug 2, 2012, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: You clearly are provoking things rather than taking a ]

you are correct individuals can boycott. However the biggest issue here comes with Mayors of major cities state they will Ban a Private Organization from doing business due to their beliefs.

That is illegal.

null

A gay city council woman in NY used official letter head to

Aug 2, 2012, 12:33 PM

write a letter to a local college with the only CFA in NY city pressuring them to toss out the CFA lease. She presented herself as the council chair woman in the letter. She says she acted as an individual, but other members of the council are furious.

Liberals just don't get it. Yes, if people want to not eat CFA, so be it. But when government organizations are pressuring or interfering with companies based on 1st Amend issues they are breaking the law. And with an admin in office like Obama's it is encouraged. This administration is a serious risk to fundamental Constitutional rights in America.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/01/nyc-council-speaker-christine-quinn-asks-nyu-to-evict-chick-fil/

Aug 2, 2012, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: You clearly are provoking things rather than taking a ]

Exactly. I said that the first amendment protects against that.

Aug 2, 2012, 11:33 AM

I dont seem to recall mayors of Major cities telling those people they couldnt open up a business in their town.

Apples =/= Oranges

null

Really, let me help you ....

Aug 2, 2012, 12:55 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/01/nyc-council-speaker-christine-quinn-asks-nyu-to-evict-chick-fil/

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-chick-fil-a-chicago-20120725,0,4158667.story

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/with-chick-fil-a-fight-progressive-mayors-get-their-ground-zero-mosque-moment/2012/07/31/gJQAEqTiLX_blog.html

Re: Really, let me help you ....

Aug 2, 2012, 1:34 PM

Dude I know about that I was referring to the OPs situations.

null

Aug 2, 2012, 12:05 PM

I have never heard anyone say that boycotting a company is infringing on that company’s freedom of speech. Can you post a link (op ed., etc) from a credible/educated person making that argument? Perhaps people argue that boycotts are silly, they don’t work, etc, but an infringement on freedom of speech and the First Amendment?? Really? They want Chick-Fil-A to sue those people who are boycotting? That makes absolutely no logical sense... and definitely no legal sense.

Now if a city refuses to grant building permits to a company based on what the company does, that’s a different story. But I can’t imagine someone saying that the boycott iself is an infringement of the First Amendment.

Message was edited by: ctigerfan®

Please don't frustrate yourself by seeking consistency

Aug 2, 2012, 1:18 PM

amongst people who claim to be "Christians."

I know, what was I thinking........

Aug 2, 2012, 1:24 PM

Asking a so called christian to be consistent about anything is worthless. They always feel their views are always correct no matter the subject. They jump to toss bible scriptures at you but if you respond with scriptures from the exact same bible, they get upset.

Re: I know, what was I thinking........

Aug 2, 2012, 2:05 PM

ITT Rock Solid proves he is just as moronic as the crowd he is attacking.

Congrats man that takes talent.

null

Re: Please don't frustrate yourself by seeking consistency

Aug 2, 2012, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Please don't frustrate yourself by seeking consistency ]

Hey look another moron.

I am a non Christian who believes in the First Amendment.

When a Mayor comes out and says they will block a private company from their city due to his opinions then that I have a BIG problem with. When people cant say what they want then they have no FREEDOM. That is a fact.

That is the larger issue at hand here. I dont care who marries who it has nothing to do with my life.

null

WOW!! Those must have been really big protests against

Aug 2, 2012, 2:22 PM

those companies you have listed, JC Penney, Office Depot, etc. since the vast majority I'm sure have never heard of these protests(?).

Any one familiar with AFA.net?

Aug 2, 2012, 3:34 PM

So much for asking corporations to remain "neutral" in their culture wars.

AFA view on Home Depot:

AFA Boycott
"The Home Depot promotes the homosexual agenda

For several years, The Home Depot has given its financial and corporate support to open displays of homosexual activism on main streets in America's towns.

Rather than remain neutral in the culture war, The Home Depot has chosen to sponsor and participate in numerous gay pride parades and festivals."

Take Action!

Sign the Boycott Pledge.
Call your local store manager. Let the manager know that you will not be shopping at The Home Depot until the company stops supporting the homosexual agenda. You can find his number here (Click "Store Finder").
Print the AFA Pass Along Sheet for friends and neighbors.
Print the paper petition and distribute it at Sunday School and church.
NEW! Promote the boycott on your website! Scroll down for download instructions. It's easy!

Extremely important! Regularly post this to your Facebook page and encourage others to join the boycott!

AFA view on Chik-Fila Buycott:

"Mike Huckabee is calling for all people of good faith to show their support in the most tangible way: by eating at Chick-fil-A on August 1.

It’s a terrific idea. Supporters of natural marriage don’t have to wave a banner or a sign, or shout a slogan or anything of the sort. All they have to do is take their family and friends out, grab a Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich with a side of waffle potato fries and wash it all down with some Chick-fil-A lemonade.

Let’s make it our goal to buy out every chicken sandwich Chick-fil-A makes on August 1. Trust me, you’ll love ‘em, they’ll just make more, and the nation will get a message about how many Americans support natural marriage. Let’s make August 1 the biggest single day in Chick-fil-A history."

You can use your FOS to protest someone else's FOS***

Aug 2, 2012, 7:00 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Replies: 98
| visibility 2755
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic