Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think OP leaving tells us everything about the Ath Dept.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

I think OP leaving tells us everything about the Ath Dept.

Apr 6, 2010, 10:18 AM

The only decisions that are made are money based decisions. We have lost our ability to work with the person. The only reason we hired Dabo was due to money. I'm not saying it's a bad hire, but if you're the AD of a major university, you don't hire a coach without any experience whatsoever unless your driving motivation is an easy fix and money.

Dabo was not even given the resources that he asked for. He threatened to leave when TDP nearly fired the team chaplain. Dabo Swinney, a coach that wouldn't have been hired to any other major program in America threatened to leave Clemson because of the lack of personal relationships. The only way to get anything accomplished at Clemson is threatening to leave another program. Even OP knew that.

We've got to get to the root of this problem. It's becoming unbelievable. I don't know if the root is Barker, TDP or Katie Hill. Pretty important hire for TDP coming up. It will be interesting to see what he does.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad some are finally seeing the light!***

Apr 6, 2010, 10:19 AM

agree both LW and MIckey said

Apr 6, 2010, 10:20 AM

about the only thing they knew that he had a complaint with had to do with dealing with the CU admin

Nah. I think OP leaving tells us everything about the

Apr 6, 2010, 10:22 AM

advantages in recruiting in a city that has at least twice as many residents as S.C., along with several heavily-populated surrounding states. Purnell will also have an easier time recruiting to Depaul, which not only has the attractions of being in Chicago, but probably does not have ACC academic standards to worry about.

Academics are strenuous at DePaul, Jesuit school***

Apr 6, 2010, 10:25 AM

The Jesuits do not run DePaul

Apr 6, 2010, 11:25 AM

Loyola is the Jesuit university in Chicago. DePaul is run by the Vincentians.

Big myth

Apr 6, 2010, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Nah. I think OP leaving tells us everything about the ]

that private schools have stricter academic standards. They nay in terms of admissions (or may not), but they essentially make up their own rules, too. Look at ND and Tony Rice, or Duke.

I'll translate:

Apr 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

Subject line:

Personal opinion.

Text of post:

Conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture, conjecture.

End of post:

Call for the obvious need for action based on above conjecture.

How'd I do?

null

I'll translate

Apr 6, 2010, 10:27 AM

This is a message board to talk about Clemson sports. Everything is pretty much conjecture. So what's your point/problem?

My point/problem is that people don't realize the difference

Apr 6, 2010, 10:30 AM

Do you think the original poster realizes that's all conjecture? Because I think he thinks it's fact. I think a lot of people are taking conjecture, building conjecture on top of it, and repeating it until it becomes fact. THEN, they demand action based on these "facts" which were never facts to begin with.

It's all drivel but it's portrayed as fact, and I guess I like to point that out every now and then.

null

after something seems to be all to often reoccurring theme

Apr 6, 2010, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I'll translate: ]

amongst Clemson coaches of various sports, it begins to hold some weight and gain some merrit. The theme we continually hear from reporters, coaches, former coaches, etc... is that the AD is failing

A few facts. I'm sure others know plenty more.

Apr 6, 2010, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I'll translate: ]

TDP did fire team chaplain Tony Eubanks only to withdraw his decision after both Dabo and CJ Spiller spoke with him. This has been reported by close sources and TDP himself said that he made the decision in an interview with Larry Williams.

Chuck Kreise's last tennis match was not attended by TDP. One of the winningest coaches in the nation. That's such an easy thing to do.

TDP did not follow through with Dabo's requests for additional staff members. This was the whole reason we agreed to go cheap. The only position we added was a high school relations position... something that ever school in america has.

The list goes on and on.

Okay, let me better understand:

Apr 6, 2010, 10:49 AM

TDP did fire team chaplain Tony Eubanks only to withdraw his decision after both Dabo and CJ Spiller spoke with him. This has been reported by close sources and TDP himself said that he made the decision in an interview with Larry Williams.

Okay so, did TDP rehire the chaplain after speaking with Dabo and CJ or was it after Dabo threatened to quit? Because you SAID that Dabo threatened to quit, and that's why TDP rehired (or decided not to fire) the chaplain. Any links (please don't feel like I'm "challenging" you to provide a link...I'm sure it's true...just personal curiosity).

Chuck Kreise's last tennis match was not attended by TDP. One of the winningest coaches in the nation. That's such an easy thing to do.

That is a shame, I agree. Seems like it would have been the right thing to do.

TDP did not follow through with Dabo's requests for additional staff members. This was the whole reason we agreed to go cheap. The only position we added was a high school relations position... something that ever school in america has.

What request? What didn't Dabo get? Was this something he was promised and it was then taken back? What do you mean "this was the whole reason we agreed to go cheap"? Who agreed? Dabo? Clemson? "Go cheap" with what? Dabo's pay?

null

do you live under a rock, all of this stuff atleast in this

Apr 6, 2010, 11:18 AM

post, have been confirmed by TI and CUtigers and Mickey and others. Not saying all the rumors are true but these all are. I can personally confirm and attest for the first concerning Eubanks and the last concerning Dabo

You MUST be nuts if you think I'm going to take "Plyler" as

Apr 6, 2010, 11:49 AM

a legitimate source, and the fact that you even bring that up may shed light on the issue here.

I rarely read Plyler anymore. When I do, it's to get lessons in poor grammar and yellow journalism. That guy is the king of "I can't tell you how I know this, but BELIEVE me, things are not good." Whatever.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I said TDP not attending the tennis match was poor. Regarding the Chaplain, I didn't argue with it, but it took two posts for the original poster to completely contradict himself. Two posts for the story to go from "Dabo had to threaten to quit" to "Dabo and CJ had a talk with TDP". Now, in your fan-hysteric world, those two comments may be equivalent, but they're actually very different. Regardless, people will take that first comment as fact, start repeating it, and then attack someone for "living under a rock" because he doesn't KNOW it as fact (heck, Mickey said so!). And finally, "the whole reason we went cheap" (or something to that effect) is not a clear statement and I wanted it clarified.

So, maybe I've been living under a rock, but if I have then it should be really easy to clarify the comments.

null

i didnt say just MIckey there were 2 other sources mentioned

Apr 6, 2010, 11:52 AM

and as I said, I can personally confirm both the Eubanks and some of the things going on with Dabo

Once again, this board is full of people who can

Apr 6, 2010, 12:10 PM

"personally confirm" things. That comment just isn't worth the zeros and ones it took to display it on the screen.

Again, the original comment was that Dabo had to threaten to quit so that the man wouldn't be fired. Two posts later, Dabo and CJ had a talk with TDP. Which is it? Which can you personally confirm, or do you have a third version? Do you even understand the difference? Or in your job, do you make every right decision? Or is it important if you make the wrong decision to hold firm to it regardless of the feedback you get from your employees? What exactly is the criticism if TDP decided not to fire the man after having a discussion with Dabo? Is it a bad decision to begin with? Possibly, I'll give you that, but the original criticism, specifically, is that you have to threaten the admin in order to make things happen. Further, it was that the admin is so frustrating to work with that even a guy like Dabo, who has been given the best opportunity in the world here, was so fed up that he was ready to walk out the door.

By the way, I'd love to know if Dabo threatened to quit over this. I think that would be ridiculous on his part.

null

Agree 100% Posted nearly the same thing this morning

Apr 6, 2010, 10:24 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=831555&tstart=240

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

As I said in an earlier post. Cut the head off the snake now***

Apr 6, 2010, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The writing was on the wall with TDP

Apr 6, 2010, 10:28 AM

when he wore his garnet and black shirt to the Clemson/South Carolina game a few years. The guy is freaking clueless.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think OP leaving tells us everything about the Ath Dept.

Apr 6, 2010, 10:27 AM

I agree if that is, in fact, the case. I am not against Dabo at all, but can't help but wonder why other pretty big names didn't come up. I believe OP is leaving because of the opportunity. I left one school to go and teach at another a few years ago because of administrative support and opportunity. The difference? Recruiting base and 1.225 million. Plus a chance to go back to familiar territory without fighting against Duke and their referees.

TDP won't drop the ball

Apr 6, 2010, 10:29 AM

because he'll never pick it up to begin with.

Re: TDP won't drop the ball

Apr 6, 2010, 10:31 AM

If TDP gets fired through all this...it is worth the short term pains.

Re: TDP won't drop the ball

Apr 6, 2010, 10:33 AM [ in reply to TDP won't drop the ball ]

He cant even see the da(n ball...frckr..

Money would be better invested in coaches and not facilities

Apr 6, 2010, 10:31 AM

You buy a good coach, he builds a good program, more people come to games, TV picks up more games, and THEN you can build the facilities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. I love the facilities argument that gets made.

Apr 6, 2010, 10:34 AM

Like Cameron Indoor Arena is a freaking Taj Mahal.

Cameron isnt but have you seen their other facilites

Apr 6, 2010, 10:47 AM

for basketball. Dukes facilities are among the best

Agree with that, but our facilities are nothing to brag

Apr 6, 2010, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Money would be better invested in coaches and not facilities ]

about. We have nice stadiums / arenas but that's about as far as it goes.

Apr 6, 2010, 10:37 AM

Clemson University is losing much of what makes it such a great place! I graduated from Clemson in 1994 and in 2008 I had an opportunity to come back to CU as an employee, one of my dream jobs! Well I have many friends and family who are employees and part of my decision process was to talk with as many of them as possible about the state of CU and to a person they all (most 20 year plus employees) said the family feel was gone, that CU has changed and they will retire as soon as they have the ability. It is a sad story and it extends to the athletic programs. I ended up turning down my dream job...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Apr 6, 2010, 10:50 AM

Only Oliver Purnell knows the reason why he stepped down. All else is pure speculation...

I do find it concerning that Clemson University has now had 3 coaches of major sports programs resign (Bowden, Adair, Purnell)in the last few years.

Apr 6, 2010, 11:24 AM

"he only reason we hired Dabo was due to money."

well he's at 1.75 now so throw that one out the window starting next season

we was a one year bargain

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic