Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Back the Man
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Back the Man

Oct 12, 2009, 1:45 AM

So many of these posts come from "young" fans in here. I am an "old timer" - I remember Frank Howard coaching and I still have Charley Waters autograph - anyone know who that is? In 1980, I sat in Death Valley and watched Duke beat us - yes, Duke. We finished 6-5 that year (if my memory serves me right). It was a mess. We had the youngest coach in college football at that time and he was a "leftover" from the Charlie Pell era. Just a kid who didn't know what he was doing. You should have heard it - "fire him and get us a real coach", etc, etc... The next year we were National Champions - yes, Clemson was National Champions!! This has all been played out before. There is no "superman" coach to bring in here - just look in Columbia - Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier - how has that worked out? The very thing that some of you crave will be the thing you will never have if you keep yelling "fire him" and switch coaches every other year. He reminds me an awful lot of Danny Ford. Back the man! Give him a shot. Win or lose, give him time youngsters.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back the Man

Oct 12, 2009, 2:52 AM

I am an old timer also and I remember those years in the early 60's up to present. We need to stand up for our team and current staff and not be like the coots and fire a coach every few years. Look what Danny did after the 1980 season when most of our fan base was wanting to run him off. Lets all of us be all in. Go Tigers!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points, he should get time but that loss to

Oct 12, 2009, 2:59 AM

a pathetic Merryland team was inexcusable and the #### poor offense is on him. This is his hire at OC and he needs to decide what kind of team we are, even Bowden did that so I don't know what is so hard about deciding now about something that should have been decided right after the Gator Bowl.

Remember all in the past as well...

Oct 12, 2009, 3:06 AM

before Internet and the mass media brainwashing that has arisen. Just hoping coaching staff and the team puts it together.

When you lost a game as a youngster...how did you feel? Were you driven by "locals" and next morning paper? No. You went to the next practice to correct the problems and received a little extra dose of coaching in things that went wrong.

Nowadays...technology bears its ugly face as you leave the locker room and kicks "pollution" in your face 24/7 ...it is getting harder to breathe..to forget the last game and to move on to the next contest.

Players and coaches unite...get'er done...BEAT WAKE!!

How refreshing to read sensible post! Thanks***

Oct 12, 2009, 6:03 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We all get it...

Oct 12, 2009, 6:05 AM

but if I hear another comparison to Dabo and Ford I may puke. They have nothing in common except Alabama ties and a weak first year.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: We all get it...

Oct 12, 2009, 6:59 AM

I agree that the Danny is Dabo/Dabo is Danny posts are old. FYI... 1980 was Danny's 2nd year, he was 8-4 in 1979.

the point is, stop yelling 'fire him' and get behind him.

Oct 12, 2009, 8:21 AM [ in reply to We all get it... ]

You don't have to support him privately, but keeping message boards lit up with 'fire him' does no good, especially 5 games into season one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he could eliminate those by not losing to the weakest teams

Oct 12, 2009, 9:53 AM

in our conference, it should be easy.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Oct 12, 2009, 7:03 AM

I like Dabo, and yes this is a rebuilding season, but personally, and i know this happened with Homer Joran, i want too see willy korn play, that and a acctitle ina few years go tigers!

We have fans who believe this is a "rebuilding year"

Oct 12, 2009, 7:06 AM

and hope to see an ACC title "in a few years?"

I guess that kind of explains the patience some have. I could see how losing to terrible teams wouldn't be that worrisome if your expectation time frame is both as distant and as vague as "a few years."

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The maryland game is over and in the record books..

Oct 12, 2009, 7:53 AM

so let's move on. I am tired of seeing the word MARYLAND on this board. If the team is still dwelling on that game we are in trouble. But I assure you they are not. On to Wake, all is not lost.

giving bowden 10 years ain't exactly changing coaches

Oct 12, 2009, 7:57 AM

every other year. some see dabo as year 11 and want to nip it in the bud. (old school barney fife)

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember 1980 well. good post***

Oct 12, 2009, 8:21 AM

Oct 12, 2009, 8:25 AM

There is no way that Dabo is like Ford.Ford surrounded himself with experienced assistant coaches while Dabo hired children like Napier and Scott on offense.We may have made the worst hire in Clemson history.

Oct 12, 2009, 8:37 AM

Amen oldtimer!

I have all the respect in the world for old die hards.

Oct 12, 2009, 9:11 AM

But the culture of college football has changed tremendously since 1980. The nation didn't even know who Clemson was until '81. A Danny Ford doesn't come around but once in a lifetime.

Dabo will be winning games at Clemson when the old ball

Oct 12, 2009, 9:04 AM

sack is rocking in his retirement chair.

Tiger/Terrier

And he had some young'uns with him - Reedy, Aldridge,

Oct 12, 2009, 9:05 AM

West, Herrin . . .

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic