Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest thoughts on Spurrier...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,018

Honest thoughts on Spurrier...

Aug 29, 2007, 12:17 AM

The orange glasses are off. I'm laying aside my hatred for the Gamecocks.

I grew up in Tampa so I have casually followed Steve Spurrier's career. He played for the Bucs and coached the Tampa Bay Bandits. When he went to Duke, I was impressed that he did something with that program. He went to UF and created a powerhouse.

Again, I was a casual follower. I did not really keep up with everything the Gators did, although out of all the Florida teams, they were my favorite (I hated FSU and Miami). I knew he could coach and had the propensity to talk a little trash, but that was it.

Since he came to South Carolina, I have lost total respect for him. First off, speaking honestly, I hate the garbage he talks about Clemson. I know all the coots out there are saying, "you're scared" or "he owns you now"...um, he's 2-3 against Clemson, 1-1 at South Carolina.

No, I have lost all respect as a coach, leader of young men, and community spokesman. He is loud when it comes to denouncing the University when they don't admit his recruits, only because of what it might do to his future recruiting and relationship with high school coaches. He spouts about the great injustice of the Confederate Flag flying at a confederate monument and puts down my home state of South Carolina, merely because of how it might affect HIS recruiting in the future (I am neither pro- nor anti-flag).

But, Steve Spurrier is deafening when it comes to inappropriate behavior of star athletes. Deafeningly silent! Nonchalant! Unemotional!

Where is the outrage when a star recruit come to campus and is arrested twice in two weeks. Is it reserved only for the academia of the college?

Where is the moral outcry when a star recruit who was stabbed more than likely from looking for a fight and then is arrested shortly thereafter for drug possession. Is he saving it only for his crusade against a historic symbol?

No, he is very quiet and soft-spoken on these issues opting to make excuses for these students and pass the buck onto the administration rather than to actually lead these young men in something other than football. He'd rather try to circumvent the system and play ignorant to school policies than to set a model for young men who in later life might benefit from such an example. The majority of them will never play football after their time at the university.

Yes Gamecock Nation, rejoice! You have the great Steve Spurrier. Yet nothing has changed in the last three years. Win! Win! Win if you can! You've got him. Congratulations!

But the one thing that is very obvious. The only one's who are fearful of the man is the administration. The players are not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POTD!!!***

Aug 29, 2007, 12:24 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those last two sentences sum it up pretty well***

Aug 29, 2007, 5:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask this to a SCU fan....."when is enough, enough?"

Aug 29, 2007, 7:25 AM

How many times do those kids have to get in trouble?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll tell you where the outrage is, franc!

Aug 29, 2007, 7:40 AM

They blew out their gizzard, screaming about our probie!

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,018
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic