Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those who remember Larry VanDerHeyden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 51

For those who remember Larry VanDerHeyden

Jul 8, 2011, 4:01 PM

This post is in honor of the Leamon commit.

Some days I don't even know why I log in and read some of the crap that comes up on this board because I don't live in Clemson anymore and I'm light years from my glory days as a Shrine Bowler at Daniel but here's something for all you naysayer's...Robbie Caldwell and Danny Pearman are going to coach the best offensive lines, this year and the next several years to come, since Larry VanDerHeyden coached the offensive line at Clemson. Coach VanDerHeyden was hardcore, just like Danny, and if you weren't ready to strap it on, then you could just leave the field. I personally knew guys who quit playing for Coach VanDerHeyden because they couldn't take being held to his standards of excellence. Pearman and Caldwell aren't playing Tommy Bowden soft and that's why Dabo put them there.

Now, as for Dabo, I love this guy. Hell, if you think he's got problems, you don't know anything about all the crap Clemson's been through since the mid 60's. Yes, Danny was THE COACH, but he was more green than Shrek (you young dumbins' get that metaphor don't you?) his first couple of years. Here's something for you...if you ever spent time around Coach Howard or Coach Ford, then you you've got to be pulling for Dabo. Who the hell were Howard and Ford before their success at Clemson? I'm not a prognosticator but I'm hoping this is Dabo's time. Regardless, I like watching the drama and I like pulling for the guy.

One more thing while I'm at it...Gary Patterson wasn't coming to Clemson...neither was Chip Kelly or Rich Rod (careful what you ask for) or Will Muschamp. Clemson is NOT Texas, or Michigan, or even Florida. If your dumb ### has ever been out of Pickens County then you would know this. People who can retire to Palm Beach don't pick Lake Keowee, even if it's the prettiest thing you've ever seen (and it is beautiful)...trust me.

So man up, quit your whining, and start pulling for Dabo and the Tigers, with all the gusto someone like Coach VerDerHeyden would have expected. Things are finally coming around in Tigertown...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^This***

Jul 8, 2011, 4:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Preach it!***

Jul 8, 2011, 4:11 PM

Tell it Brother Tell it ALL!

Jul 8, 2011, 4:18 PM

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Savior. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Thank you! Great post!***

Jul 8, 2011, 4:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blue Caddy in...5...4..3...2***

Jul 8, 2011, 4:30 PM

That sad #### knows everything native said is true. That's

Jul 8, 2011, 5:56 PM

why he's scared out of his (size 48) britches.

Re: For those who remember Larry VanDerHeyden

Jul 8, 2011, 4:46 PM

I remember Coach VanDerHeyden from Clemson football camp in the summer of 1982. I also remember him because Im a long time fan of Clemson University, originally from Anderson, Dad is a grad.

Anyway, if Co.Caldwell is anything like Co VanDerHeyden, Im very very excited about the future. Shoot, I got excited a couple yrs ago when they hired Co Pearman because I knew he'd played for Co VanDerHeyden. Point is, we're in good hands for the first time in a long time. I cant wait.

Jul 8, 2011, 4:50 PM

Clemson_Native... a big Ric Flair "Wooooo,Woooooo" to you. Though I have 2 cadaver bones and a titanium plate in my neck, your post makes me want to strap on some pads and play! Get 'em, Tigers!

Loved your commentary. I met Danny while I was working as a

Jul 8, 2011, 5:28 PM

project engineer on the Mobil Corp. headquarters in Fairfax, Va. in February of 1980 when he and Lawson Holland paid me a visit in an attempt to recruit a Md. offensive lineman. I had called Lawson about the kid a month earlier and told him the kid's dad was the Otis Elevator superintendent on the job. Danny was indeed as green as a garden pea in those days but dang he could sell the mommas on Clemson football.

When the receptionist called me to tell me I had 2 guests in the lobby and I went out to meet them, she grabbed my arm after Danny and Lawson had walked through the door and asked me in a wisper, "who was that man" and I said "that is Clemson's head football coach, Danny Ford". She then said "that is the funniest man I have ever met." That is the same way he recruited the players and their mommas.

Having met Dabo, I agree 100% that he is cut in the Danny Ford mold and then some. Like Danny was in 1980, he is not the best Xs and Os coach at this point in his career but he has surrounded himself with the right coaches to allow him to coach and get "on the job training". I also say give Dabo some time. Clemson football is on the mend.

Besides, I give him my "lucky rock" last year during Tiger Walk, a bisquit sized plug of granite that was a core sample that came from 60' under the north stands in 1982 when soil engineers core drilled to determine the soil bearing capacity before breaking ground on the north stands. He now has a lucky rock in his pocket that he can rub for good luck in the 4th quarter (and needs a TD to win) when he can't run back up the hill to rub the real rock!

Jul 8, 2011, 5:00 PM

so you are saying losing records are acceptable if the offensive line plays hard?

Your making a leap in logic on this one, right?

Jul 8, 2011, 5:02 PM

Not sure how you got that out of this post. It was a positive post--but perhaps you were aiming at the negative. Too bad.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well when the O-line stats playing hard again like it

Jul 8, 2011, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: For those who remember Larry VanDerHeyden ]

did under danny we will see

null

That's how you earn a beer right there

Jul 8, 2011, 5:03 PM

sliding one down to you

null

Coach V.

Jul 8, 2011, 5:11 PM

was an Iowa State man if I remember correctly and they have always been noted as a wrestling powerhouse. He brought that toughness with him to Clemson and it paid off big time. I am hoping that the new guys display that same kind of bad a$$ coaching. We have lacked it for years. I was thinking just today that after this season is over we will all be praising coach Caldwell. If the big guys play great, we will all be happy gamecock haters!

Spot the d@mn ball!!!!

Jul 8, 2011, 5:15 PM

I love it!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very very well said.***

Jul 8, 2011, 5:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

VanDerHeyden was the best OL coach we had plus DF was

Jul 8, 2011, 6:05 PM

OL man as well. I remember Danny addressing Greenville TD Club at start of his career, and he said "we don't have an OL yet, but we will very soon, and we always will".......and we did.....his and Larry's OL's led the
"March To Glory" on many, many Saturdays, and we were "very, very proud"!

Jul 8, 2011, 7:11 PM

thanks for the post,that is one of,if not the best,posts i have read since coming to t-net.it will be nice to get back to the time when the practices were actually worse then the game itself.the team can look forward to saturdays as being a "little" easier then the week leading up to it.opponents beware.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So; Larry VanDerHeyden is not walking thru that door?***

Jul 9, 2011, 7:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your mouth music is refreshing. Thanks.***

Jul 8, 2011, 8:22 PM

He##'s Yes!***

Jul 8, 2011, 9:19 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2011, 9:26 PM

Yes, Bro! Tell it like it is and was! Agree with you all the way. Best OL coach evah was Larry VanDerHeyden!

Post of the year!

Jul 8, 2011, 10:05 PM

You sir, have one of the best posts in tigernet history

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2011, 10:37 PM

Great post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You hit the nail on the head.

Jul 8, 2011, 11:05 PM

Native, this is the best post I have "ever" read on here! Thanks for posting!

Amen! Hallelujah! Pass the plate!

Jul 8, 2011, 11:54 PM

Great post!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

##### good post.

Jul 9, 2011, 12:31 AM

My feelings exactly from a '63 grad.

Excellent post! ********

Jul 9, 2011, 8:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember Van Der Heyden all too well!

Jul 9, 2011, 11:05 AM

Between him and Buddy King I'm scarred for life! No coddling back in those days for sure. They would curse you to no end and make you want to head home to momma! I can still hear Van Der Heyden snarling... I remember Van Der Heyden mocking/abusing Cary Massaro for having to go Redfern Medical Center the day before due to dehydration from throwing up on practice field! It just made Massaro mad and he pushed himself even harder. Tough SOBs for sure. Great coaches and we definitely need some of their flavor mixed in with our current program!

Yes...Clemson has been too SOFT. Bama saw this several

Jul 9, 2011, 2:34 PM

years ago in pre-season Chick-fil-a game and wiped us out by half-time. I still remember TV images of our linemen sitting on the bench looking like they were having heart attacks, sweating & their eyes looking like they had seen the Nazi's in full fighting armor.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic