Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting info about why Gamecock talk on WCCP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Interesting info about why Gamecock talk on WCCP

Oct 27, 2010, 8:33 AM

interesting info about wccp (the flagship station for CLEMSON ATHLETICS)

"Have you noticed all the gamecock talk on WCCP lately? The new station manager (Chris Dowdy) is a South Carolina graduate. he is an active Gamecock booster. He has Gamecock tags on his nice black Cadillac. He has openly told staff how much he hates Clemson. he has openly said that he wants the station to be 50/50 between Carolina and Clemson. He refuses to go to a Clemson game and left the pregame early this past week so that he could make it to Vanderbilt in time for kickoff."

Well there you have it.

Not only does Tiger Town Graphics print gamecock apparel, a gamecock is managing the flagship station. Would this happen in Columbia? highly doubt it.

I know money is not colored orange or garnet, but good grief, thats a little ridiculous.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Blues Brothers

Re: Interesting info about why Gamecock talk on WCCP

Oct 27, 2010, 8:39 AM

it balances out...remember the Columbia police department AND the coot campus police only hire Clemson grads who hate coot football players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2010, 8:39 AM

Dont worry about it. The station is going broke anyways. ESPN 1440

I think it would be great if Clemson didn't have a station

Oct 27, 2010, 10:00 AM

that way, just like in the rest of the country, you'd never be able to listen to shows focused on Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The closest Clemson has ever had to truly having a flagship

Oct 27, 2010, 10:38 AM

station that promoted Clemson was WFBC-FM in Greenville. Particularly when DJ's Dan Kelly, and then later Russ Cassell, were also the Tiger Tailgate Show hosts. It wasn't talk radio, but it was a lot of Clemson love all day on the radio. The station was one of the most powerful stations in the state with a signal into NC and Ga. and as far east as Newberry County in SC.

The Tiger Tailgate show today is a joke compared to the production that we saw and heard from the 70's - 90's.

WCCP is a poorly run station, and has been dating back to when it was just a weak AM station 30 years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No wonder, if they are stupid enough to hire that guy to

Oct 27, 2010, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting info about why Gamecock talk on WCCP ]

manage the station, then maybe they should move on.

Does 1440 broadcast on the web?***

Oct 28, 2010, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting info about why Gamecock talk on WCCP ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Is it so hard to understand what flagship really means

Oct 27, 2010, 8:41 AM

Cause I think a lot of people are not understanding. The flagship title is just given to whatever radio station is granted exclusive rights to broadcast Clemson sporting events. Outside of sporting events the station can do whatever they want. Heck, 102.5 used to be the flagship and they are an oldies station. Simply put WCCP is a sports talk staion that also just happens to cover Clemson sports. Their management does what it feels necessary to pay the bills and maximize listners. Obviously being in the upstate (with markets like Greenville and Anderson) where lots of USUC grads happen to reside as well, they feel that to maximize listners and in turn maximize ad revenue, it is in their best intrest to not be exclusive and to be more mixed to both schools.

if you want it to chg turn the dial and tell WCCP abt it

Oct 27, 2010, 8:44 AM

enough people do this then you would see a change

Re: Is it so hard to understand what flagship really means

Oct 27, 2010, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Is it so hard to understand what flagship really means ]

Im ok with a mix......but when you come to this

12-2 gene cresaleck talking usceast
2-3 gamecock hour
3-5 walt talking about gt and kansas st and how we suck

your right balance is good. Think we could get some

obviously they seem to think its working fine

Oct 27, 2010, 8:59 AM

think of it this way. You have a 93.7, this is like complaining that they play too much rap and not enough rock/pop. You simply change the dial, and call write an email to the customer service dept. A radio station operates in a business model it deems best. When they get enough complaints, they chg format.

Re: Is it so hard to understand what flagship really means

Oct 27, 2010, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Is it so hard to understand what flagship really means ]

That's all true I'm sure JG. I, however, am ticked off that the Clemson, S.C. radio station has decided to become so gamecock oriented. I have exercised my option of turning it off and hope thousands more Tigers will do the same. If they can't make it in the upstate being Clemson oriented, I hope they just disapear.....and, hiring a gamecock station manager???? Give me a break.

why just cause its in CU doesnt mean anything

Oct 27, 2010, 9:06 AM

I understand that we all want an exclusive channel, but holding over there head just cause of their broadcasting location or just cause of there flagship status is crazy, cause the flagship thing has nothing to do with the hrs a sporting event isnt on. so go ahead and complain about format and im right there with you, but dont use the flagship thing as a reason.

So not many Clemson grads are in Lexington/Columbia,

Oct 27, 2010, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Is it so hard to understand what flagship really means ]

the Midlands, et al?

They basically have two stations here. 107.5 The Game isn't so bad in the mornings, but the rest of the time they flat out say on radio it's a SC Coot station and they DON'T really care to talk about Clemson, but will if need be. 1400 AM is about the same, but I quit listening to them since Kornblut is such a ####...pun intended.

something is wrong with this picture,,,,,

Oct 27, 2010, 8:47 AM

no way the manager of a rural radio station in a small state can afford to drive a cadillac...and a Gamecock grad at that? you must have heard wrong...:)

You make some valid points but I don't need to hear a host

Oct 27, 2010, 8:51 AM

from 2 to 3 signing off with his gamecock buddies saying "go #####". That's a bit much.

Sorry this should be in response to jgtiger. It's early.***

Oct 27, 2010, 8:53 AM

he has a show because of who he's "dating"...***

Oct 27, 2010, 8:54 AM [ in reply to You make some valid points but I don't need to hear a host ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

then dont listen, they are a sports talk station and

Oct 27, 2010, 8:54 AM [ in reply to You make some valid points but I don't need to hear a host ]

thats all they ever claimed to be. They never have claimed to be a exclusively Clemson station. All they have ever said is they are the flagship for CU sports, which is true. If they claimed the former then you would have a point.

I don't***

Oct 27, 2010, 11:00 AM

Re: Wait... WCCP still exists???***

Oct 27, 2010, 9:11 AM

nm

Radio stations here in OK cover both

OU and OSU... and it works pretty well...

Of course, there are also two pretty big markets in Tulsa and OKC. But it's not that much different than Greenville/Spartanburg and Columbia.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

You said it all - MONEY - they want to appeal to.....

as many advertisers and listeners as possible - don't care that they're the Clemson flagship station. You'll never see/hear WSB here in Atlanta give Tech the same respect and airtime as they give Georgia. Since they are Georgia's flagship station they act like it. They make no secret where their loyalties lie.

thats cause the UGA market is big enough to handle it

Oct 27, 2010, 9:15 AM

and they are calculating that with going to a mix they would lose more UGA listners then they would gain gtech listners. If WCCP thought they could get more listners being all CU they would certainly do it. Right now they are saying by being mixed we have gained more USUC fans then we have lost CU fans

Oct 27, 2010, 9:28 AM

well well well, just emailed dan to get his reaction on this post. here is his reply. oops, guess once again the mot has it wrong.

You guys have too much time on your hands to invent conspiracies.

I had a 2 1/2 hour meeting with Chris yesterday, and one of his main deals is getting the Gamecock stuff OFF the station. Wants Mickey to dump the Big Spur guy. Wants me to do less of Andy Demetra, etc. He wants MORE Clemson than we're already doing.

Whoever is putting out this info has no idea what they're talking about, and shouldn't spend so much time drinking during the day.

DAN SCOTT, Host
Cruise Control
Play-By-Play Voice
104.9 FM, WCCP
Clemson, SC
www.wccpfm.com

And Dan shouldn't tell me how much to drink during the day!***

Oct 27, 2010, 10:05 AM

Finally... FACTS... go figure!***

Oct 27, 2010, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting info about why Gamecock talk on WCCP ]

Which is why I will never buy a single thing from TTG

Oct 27, 2010, 9:39 AM

ever again.

They think they are getting more business by opening up to other markets, when in fact they are losing.

There's something in these hills.

TTG still exists?******

Oct 27, 2010, 10:47 AM

seriously.....you talk about the guy as if he's a communist

Oct 27, 2010, 9:42 AM

trying to overthrow the government....it's sports...it's not life...it's sports. Keep it in perspective. They are running a business and the business' goal is to make a profit. There are Clemson and USC grads in the upstate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gamecocks are worse than Communists.

Oct 27, 2010, 9:43 AM

I can't stand em.

There's something in these hills.

Not too fond of them either but I don't live around any

Oct 27, 2010, 9:45 AM

here in Atlanta....I get my fill of uga fans talking about their program as if they are Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc.....ie...programs that have won a meaningful game in the past 30 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure what the "Upstate" has to do with this

Oct 27, 2010, 9:54 AM

WCCP doesn't have much reception North of say, Easley.

That said, I partially control the marketing budget for my company and we pulled a 24,000/annual advertising contract from CCP ~18 months ago.
And among the 18 bullet points I listed in our cancellation was "refusing to cater to your direct audience which is dominated by Clemson fans"

I can usually get it pretty strongly in Greenville***

Oct 27, 2010, 10:02 AM

And it comes through pretty strong in Raleigh over the web***

Oct 28, 2010, 6:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Tiger Town Graphics prints Gamecock stuff?? ###!***

Oct 27, 2010, 11:11 AM

GO TIGERS

Re: Tiger Town Graphics prints Gamecock stuff?? ###!***

Oct 27, 2010, 7:22 PM

what the heck, and to think i was gonna have them print something for my new baby boy when he arrives, nope not now

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2010, 6:31 PM

I thought all gamecock grads were on welfare or pumping gas. Most are illterate.

this is my problem

Oct 27, 2010, 7:25 PM

I live down here in the mid/low country. uscE has 107.5 the shame.........ALL CHICKEN ALL THE TIME ......when i get a chance I get online and listen to
wccp tring to hear some Tiger talk and like today i have to listen to coke rogers..........what the he@@ if one CLEMSON fan calls "the shame" the next 10 callers will say this is the ### ship station of the shameccocks

Re: this is my problem

Oct 27, 2010, 8:26 PM

And there is the issue. People say, "well there are USCeast and Clemson grads in the upstate, therefore WCCP should cater to both". Well, there are Clemson and USCeast grads ALL ACROSS THE STATE, even in the a$$hole of SC (Columbia), but their radio stations don't try and cater to the Clemson fans. Oh well, I stopped listening to WCCP awhile ago with little "peek ins" here and there. That station is a freaking joke.

this is an outrage!***

Oct 27, 2010, 10:08 PM

Tar and Feather the guy and...

Oct 28, 2010, 10:54 AM

Run him outta town on a rail.

Feathers make a very nice statement, don't 'cha think?

Black Tar--'nuff said for that

So what, what really sucks is...

Oct 28, 2010, 11:53 AM

listening to Lee's comments on the way to work in the morning. Too much nonsense. Micky even seems flustered by it lately.

They have always discussed both teams, and a balance is not a bad thing. Further it would be even better if they increased the discussion on national sporting concerns.

I am so happy to have ESPN radio coming thru now, and maybe when we are good enough to be relevent on a national scale they will talk about us there.

Oct 28, 2010, 6:24 PM

Im done with them.. all this #### talk makes me listen to 98.1

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic