Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Clowney situation has become a general embarassment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

The Clowney situation has become a general embarassment

Feb 13, 2011, 12:30 PM

For no particular reason and without any one person to blame, the media and fan attention awarded Clowney regarding his LeBron-like "decision" has spun radically out of control. For weeks, no substantiated evidence of anything has been reported, yet no rumor has been left unturned. Gamecocks, Tigers, and general die-hard college football fans have been glued to their computers and televisions throughout the past couple weeks. For what?

In the best case scenario, we land Clowney, add another 5-star to our already stellar class, and disrupt the lives of the online Gamecock fan base. Then what happens? You pump your fist a couple of times? You discuss it at the water cooler for an hour? Then what?

Worst case scenario: Clowney goes to USC, Gamecocks endlessly rant about their new found potential, and there was no shock after all. Again...then what? We listen to them discuss their 2011 national championship? We hear how many times Tajh Boyd will get sacked this season?

Considering the hours that fans have put into this silly little event, the return investment can't possibly be worth the effort.

There are far too many emotions being spewed on boards like FGF and TigerNet, and far too many expectations regarding a kid who will likely have little to no noticeable effect on his team next season. I get that recruiting now has dividends later, but is it really worth all this? Is it worth wasting your life in front of a computer two hours a day for two weeks over one player's college-choice so that you might be able to root for a star player in a couple of years?

ESPN wanted him to delay his commitment so that they can publish a magazine. A company in New York wants to produce a documentary on his recruitment. College football "fans" (who are more and more looking like insane European soccer fans, strangely enough) investing tens of thousands of hours into a simple, "I will be taking my talents to ____________." These things are all sad representatives of society's need for instant gratification today.

I'm a mere 25 years old, and have been an IPTAY member all my life (including the inaugural year of the Tiger Cub Club). But this kind of fan hood is just tiresome.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow.. wisdom in a 25yr old. :)***

Feb 13, 2011, 12:33 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recruiting has kind of become its own sport***

Feb 13, 2011, 12:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

You hit the nail on the head. Good post !***

Feb 13, 2011, 12:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then what?

Feb 13, 2011, 12:39 PM

Well, then we hope he develops into an outstanding football player and that he grows as a person in college over the next few years.

I agree with you that this is all a bit over-dramatized, and yes, he is only one player on a team of 85+ players. But recruiting talent like this is the foundation for building a good college football program. So it is a big deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Then what?

Feb 13, 2011, 12:53 PM

Yeah, it's a big deal. It was a big deal for every other high school football player that signed. And they all, somehow, managed to get it done by NSD. It's a big deal. It's just not THIS big of a deal.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Clowney situation has become a general embarassment

Feb 13, 2011, 12:53 PM

All this over a high school kid,who has a lot to prove.When he steps on the field he will be just another freshman fighting and working hard for PT.

Feb 13, 2011, 1:36 PM

Hmmm? where to start? You're 25 and I'm 60 yo, so our opinions are probably going to differ on numerous issues. I graduated from Clemson in '75. None of that really matters, but just to show you the differences as to how one looks at things.

To be perfectly honest, I barely ever notice recruiting, and have no idea how many stars most recruits have. I somewhat agree with you for MOST candidates in your points that you raised.

However, I watched the videos of Clowney - and this guy is the real deal. I haven't been impressed by any other recruit more than Clowney. I'm really more of an Offense-minded guy, and usually don't even notice D guys - but Clowney stands out more than anyone else. Not sure if you remember Julius Peppers at UNC - but this guy is going to be BETTER than JP (IMO). Anyone can argue that, and that's fine, but this guy is going to win a lot of games for whatever team he signs with.

So - YES - it's one heck of a big deal IMO. So - here's hoping that we have a snowball's chance of landing him.

'nuff said.

Possibly the best post I've read in a long time.***

Feb 13, 2011, 1:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could not agree more.

Feb 13, 2011, 2:09 PM

No matter what, the kid is a native son and seems to have enormous talent. I hope he stays in state but even if not
I guess I'll be following his career with interest.
Call me crazy but I pull for KG in the NBA and do follow
his career and he's no Gamecock or Tiger.

I wish this guy all the best.

He's doing a pretty good job of managing the situation
if you ask me....

Re: I could not agree more.

Feb 13, 2011, 2:12 PM

Nice post!!

Everyone in Rock Hill is tired of the circus around it

Feb 13, 2011, 2:13 PM

You should hear the crap Bama and SC fans are saying to everyone around Clowney. It's sad, his facebook page is just the start.

Re: Everyone in Rock Hill is tired of the circus around it

Feb 13, 2011, 5:02 PM

Not just bama or usc fans on his FB wall. Plenty of us showing our #^@

Clowney's a tool of ESPN

Feb 13, 2011, 2:17 PM

and unfortunately we're one of the pieces he's been manipulating.

If this was FSU vs. Clemson or say Auburn vs Clemson or hmmmm Alabama vs. USC, it wouldn't carry nearly the storyline.

This is why I proposed a few days ago for Dabo just to end this charade and just Jeffery Pagan his scholly offer away. That would punk ESPN and Clowney, and give the silly coots something to think about.

i dont see any thing wrong with it.***

Feb 13, 2011, 2:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

LOL wow...you must be blind then

Feb 13, 2011, 3:08 PM

The fact that grown ### men are hanging on to every word of an 18 year old kid (and even Facebook stalking him) is pathetic. And the fact that the media enables and encourages this circus is even more disheartening to me.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2011, 2:47 PM

I agree and if it's under skin, it's probably cause we couldn't control our own rubber necking. I watched the nation spend millions of dollars roasting Clinton over a blow job ( like nobody else is partying up there) and everybody turn their head as Bush screwed the whole country. Has the media got us this way?

Idiot. Keep the politics in the Lounge***

Feb 13, 2011, 4:01 PM

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

I clicked on this expecting

Feb 13, 2011, 2:51 PM

a new update or quote. I guess I'll havta spend two hours surfing to dig up more rumor and speculation. :)

By the way, I expect I'm not the only one that has not strayed from the articles posted here to read some fun hooie about Clowney. Hey, it's a mild diversion before spring practice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to me.

Feb 13, 2011, 3:11 PM

I turn 59 this year. I haven't let an 18yr old yank my crank for 40 years now. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blah blah blah blah blah...grow up...this IS a big deal,

Feb 13, 2011, 3:11 PM

but don't worry your little head,,,Clowney is comitting to us tomorrow. Go Tigers!

Lighten up, Francis.***

Feb 13, 2011, 3:57 PM

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

He;s just the only thing to talk about right now re: Coll fb***

Feb 13, 2011, 5:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2011, 5:30 PM

I don't think anyone else cares outside of the coot and Tiger fans.

The only ones that should be embarrassed is ???

Feb 13, 2011, 5:39 PM

A recruit who has favored Scar the entire time, has multiple friends on the team, has seen the living arrangements at the Whitney, has observed the type cars the Carolina players drive, had eliminated all other schools, Scar has won two in a row over Clemson, Clemson has a loosing record, the only coach he has liked at Clemson leaves, makes one visit to Clemson and everything changes.

SOS and Scar are the ones that are embarrassed! Believe me when this is over the treatment Smelly and Mitchell got is nothing compared to what is coming from SOS.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really, 99.999999% of the country has never heard

Feb 13, 2011, 5:41 PM

of him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you are a sports fan, you know about him.

Feb 13, 2011, 8:43 PM

No matter where in this country you live.

1cfan77... the only negative response to the post. I see

Feb 13, 2011, 9:01 PM

right through the crap you post. Quit trolling and go back to the roost. Maybe another silver lining about tomorrow is that we rid ourselves of jerk offs like you.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic