Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
my take on the student section from a students point of view
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

my take on the student section from a students point of view

Sep 30, 2010, 3:14 PM

first off, i am a sophomore here and life long clemson fan. Saturday will be my 33 straight home football game. I have seen several post on here calling out students and i'm glad somebody finally is. I walk these beautiful grounds everyday. I gaze into the stadium from the hill as I walk to class. I love every minute of it but the one thing I do not love is the growing number of students who dont go to games. I know this weekends contest is all sold out of student tickets but that still doesn't mean 11,000 will come.
I have heard friends come up with lame excuses such as going hiking, going home to see gf's, or my favorite it is just a game. And I hear this from people who played football in high school. For some reason some people just arnt interested in the game and if they do go all they want to do is get wasted. I am all for drinking before games but they need to be able to yell. At any point in time during the game I can look around and see 25-40% of people setting on their hands and not yelling. This week central spirit has placed posters passed out flyers saying "Be loud saturday" ?!?! Why must they call us out?!? We should not have to be told to do our job! Remember back to Miami 2005, GT 2006, FSU labor day game, even last year's FSU game was loud. We should have that kind of volume for every ACC matchup. Games like we have saturday should be what you wish for. A home game against a big name opponent. We should be ready and know our job and not have to reminded.

ok through ranting or what ever that was. Lets be loud and take control of the ACC!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you taken any English classes yet??

Sep 30, 2010, 3:16 PM

Just messin with ya...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dude. paragraphs.***

Sep 30, 2010, 3:17 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alwasy have to hear from the nerds of TNET.***

Sep 30, 2010, 9:30 PM

you excited about the "mark it down" 3:30 or 7pm game?***

Oct 1, 2010, 10:06 AM

He is not writing an essay for #()@) sake***

Oct 1, 2010, 12:47 PM [ in reply to dude. paragraphs.*** ]

Re: He is not writing an essay for #()@) sake***

Oct 1, 2010, 1:01 PM

I talked to this stupid girl in class today. She said she might not go to the game because it starts at 12. I told her to give me her ticket since I'm sure I can find someone who would use it. I told her we were out of student tickets and that if she wasn't using it she should let someone else use it. She told me touch luck.

I hate her.

That was possessive. Should be #()@)'s sake. hth.***

Oct 1, 2010, 1:10 PM [ in reply to He is not writing an essay for #()@) sake*** ]

My view from the other side of the stadium

Sep 30, 2010, 3:18 PM

sure were a lot of non orange clad guys wearing button down shirts and ties. It was a strange site to see

Call me a redneck or hick but I never have really gotten the

Oct 1, 2010, 11:35 AM

tie thing to the ball game unless you're in some kind of ceremony or something. Really looks uncomfortable.

really? people really tell you they are going hiking or goin

Sep 30, 2010, 3:21 PM

home to see their girlfriends or that it's just a game? i had no idea people that sucked that bad existed...thanks Dr. Barker

Jimmy Barker doesn't have a doctorate.***

Sep 30, 2010, 3:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Have you been in the Lounge?***

Sep 30, 2010, 3:36 PM [ in reply to really? people really tell you they are going hiking or goin ]

I won't go into it much

Sep 30, 2010, 4:21 PM [ in reply to really? people really tell you they are going hiking or goin ]

but I do personally blame the current administration.

Not that we need nepotism running rampant, but legacies are becoming fewer and fewer. Your standard middle-class kids who grew up knowing and loving Clemson aren't getting accepted to their parents' alma mater, and a growing number of people who have no ties to Clemson are. This results in fewer people caring about Clemson football.

That's the price for fitting into one publication's definition of what a good school is.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson must havestopped caring about subject-verb agreement

Sep 30, 2010, 3:25 PM

lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its all this #### text messaging haha******

Oct 1, 2010, 11:40 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But seriously, good post.****

Sep 30, 2010, 3:26 PM

Good post. Also a student and I agree it is sad that some of

Sep 30, 2010, 3:32 PM

our classmates are turning into douchebags. Nonetheless I share the same spirit and will have a sore throat for a couple of days after Saturday.

One thing I would change though is that we should expect that kind of volume for every home game, not just big ACC games.

Re: my take on the student section from a students point of view

Sep 30, 2010, 3:41 PM

Your telling me that their are some students who would rather freaking go hiking than go to a game. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE ******** me.

Also that girlfriend they are going home to see just hooked up with your highschool buddy last night. Plenty of good looking girls everywhere around DV and you choose to go back to

inman, lancaster, sumter, columbia.....

This thread literally makes me want to run through a wall like the kool aid man and tackle someone. IT JUST DOESN"T MAKE SENSE

Re: my take on the student section from a students point of

Sep 30, 2010, 3:43 PM

wish I was kidding. The guy who has my hall neighbor last year missed the first two games to go hiking. My roommate last year is missing saturday to go see his gf. The worst part is that he has a ticket for the game that will go unused unless he is willing to give it to someone.

if he doesn't want to give it to someone go steal that ####

Sep 30, 2010, 3:46 PM

ticket and give it to someone with strong vocal chords.

Message was edited by: tiggerz04®

Re: if he doesn't want to give it to someone go still that d

Sep 30, 2010, 4:04 PM

i'm trying to get him to give it to a friend of mine that used to run for clemson. But the guy with the ticket is being a ##### and wanting to charge for it. Ill get it straight by gameday

I know a Freshman that needs a ticket

Sep 30, 2010, 10:10 PM

A friend of mine is a freshman at Clemson. She went to go pick up a ticket and was told they were all gone. Not sure when this practice was put into effect. But it sucks. If you friend is really a Clemson person, tell him that a current Student at the school needs the ticket!

Let me known if you can make him see the light.

Go Tigers
LNT

Sep 30, 2010, 3:59 PM

sadly this is true. i've talked to numerous people this week who said they weren't going to the game. They didn't even have a good excuse either. they said they just weren't going. Its not like you have anything better to do on a saturday afternoon, so get your butt in Death Valley and cheer for the school you're attending. It just amazes me how people can easily turn down a free ticket to a huge game where you get to spend the day in the greatest place on earth

Sep 30, 2010, 5:02 PM

Challenge to Students and ALL fans!

BE LOUD SATURDAY!!! Central Spirit will be randomly selecting one person who shares the BE LOUD SATURDAY motto on their Facebook status to win a 2010 Homecoming t-shirt!

For more information on the BE LOUD SATURDAY event and to find instructions for the Homecoming shirt drawing visit the event on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=150981878275543

BE LOUD SATURDAY!!

Sep 30, 2010, 5:07 PM

"This week central spirit has placed posters passed out flyers saying "Be loud saturday" ?!?! Why must they call us out?!? We should not have to be told to do our job! "

-Original Post

So lame.

Sep 30, 2010, 6:10 PM

I didn't even go to Clemson, and every season I try to figure out which games I can drive to and work it into my budget and whatnot because I just absolutely love the place. I went to Western Carolina, so the drive wasn't much more than an hour and a half from Cullowhee, but being unemployed (during the school year) and in college meant I had to save for a while to buy a couple of tickets to a big game. Now I've graduated and live in Charlotte, but I still can only really make it down once a season. The fact that students have free tickets to these games and are not going is baffling to me.

Our football team has sucked perpetually since 1985 at WCU, but we still went out there and tailgated and at least hung around till halftime. I would've loved to have woken up and just had to walk across campus to tailgate in Clemson on Saturdays. Not even going to the game when you're a student at a great school like Clemson with an unbelievable tailgate/game atmosphere just sounds like such a waste to me. And for the Miami game, no less. I know some people just aren't into football, and that's fine, but are you going to look back on your college years and say "Boy that was an invigorating hike 10 years ago!" or "Wow, the GT game in 2006 was some of the most fun of my life." To the original poster: the next time your buddy goes off to "be one with nature" or see his GF (who should be visiting HIM anyway), ship his ticket to me and I'll be there in a heartbeat.

Maybe Clemson should have this question on the acceptance

Sep 30, 2010, 6:37 PM

application:

Will you attend the major athletic events at Clemson and
yell loud? (Hiking and girlfriend visits cannot
count as an excused absence).

Sep 30, 2010, 6:53 PM

Wow. I was never a "traditional" football attendee in college because I was in the band so I couldn't miss games by definition, but I still remember our entire student section being the most crowded, boisterous part of the stadium. If we can't even count on our student body, that's just sad.

Sep 30, 2010, 7:44 PM

One of my friends told me he was missing the game for some B.S. reason. I haven't talked to him in three days. Pathetic.

Its because a lot of out of state students

Sep 30, 2010, 9:27 PM

I was talking to a Freshman from Connecticut today and he could not understand my hatred of the Gamecocks at all. He said he thought they had cool colors.

Re: Its because a lot of out of state students

Sep 30, 2010, 9:51 PM

I'm an out of state student who will be going to at least 11 out of 12 games this year. I'd never miss a home game.

Out of state has nothing to do with it. In fact, most of the people I know who have missed games are in-state students since they can go home for the weekend fairly easily.

The real issue is the empty frat block.

So Dabo needs to go off on the students.***

Sep 30, 2010, 9:31 PM

Re: So Dabo needs to go off on the students, give the ticket

Sep 30, 2010, 9:32 PM

to real fans.

If you remember last year the student section wasnt bad

Sep 30, 2010, 9:39 PM

The first two games this year have been, but lets be honest. They were boring games. The crowds werent into it. Lots of people left early, etc.

Lets hold our judgement until after this weekend. From what I see the student section will be fine. I will not be in it for the first time in a few years but only because I will be on the field.

Sep 30, 2010, 9:41 PM

ARE WE JUST GETTING TOO PREPPY ? REDNECK UP & YELL !

When did they cap the number of Student tickets

Sep 30, 2010, 10:04 PM

A friend of mine is a freshman at Clemson this year. She just informed me that she went down to get a ticket and was told they were sold out.

My question is when did Clemson start capping the number of student tickets? I thought all students were "guranteed" a football ticket. ie, they just print out one more Hill ticket.

Thanks. Go Tigers
LNT

Re: When did they cap the number of Student tickets

Oct 1, 2010, 6:35 AM

When Clemson renovated the West End Zone they also began to cap the number of Hill tickets...I think at 10,000 or 11,000. It was getting to the point where 16,000 people were on the Hill which can be dangerous, I guess. Now I understand they even have security on-hand until about the second quarter to make sure that *only* people with Hill tickets get on the Hill.

Student tickets haven't been *guaranteed* since at least the early 90's. I can remember tickets running out early for FSU and USC during my time there.

I guess they never told that to the the Tour Guides

Oct 1, 2010, 10:10 AM

I was in Tiger Band during my Undergraduate days at Clemson (1997-2001). So I never had to "deal" with getting a ticket until I was in Grad School. Once I was in Grad School I had great student tickets.

But anyways, during my undergraduate years I was also a University Tour guide and we were told to tell everyone that Students were "gurranteed" a ticket for football. However, basketball tickets, were not gurranteed because the size of the venue would not support the student popluation. This seemed to be a good policy at the time because even with the recent success of Rick Barnes the students that wanted Tickets to the Basketball games could get them if they wanted them. ie camping out. But it really became a non issue from 99-till Purnell tock over.

That being said, I guess that policey has been changed. But I dont think it is right. I dont want to put people in danger on the Hill. But I do believe that students should be allowed to get tickets for the game. The athletic department needs to work with the University to make this happen. The school is their for the students. I am grateful that we have a strong alumni base that helps the atheletic department build facilities that will allow us to come back and see the Tigers. But I feel that the University first responsability is to the current students. But anyways, I will get my Freshman Friend into the game is she wants. So ennough ranting! GO TIGERS BEAT MIAMI.

LNT

I'm a student as well.

Sep 30, 2010, 10:47 PM

I'm on the hill for every home game, and I couldn't agree more. Students just don't seem interested anymore.

I don't care who we play. PC, Wake, FSU, Miami, Coastal Carolina...Doesn't matter. I am at every game yelling till my voice goes out, and then I yell some more!

I feel very lucky and fortunate to be able to live 5 minutes away from Death Valley. Every time I walk by DV, I take the time to to take it all in. I love it. Clemson sports has been my passion since I could remember.

Wish people going to Clemson would have the same drive to want to show up to games and be pumped. When I say show up to games, I mean the whole game. Not just until halftime.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong Saturday.

GO TIGERS! BEAT MIAMI!

And now you see the fruits of Barker's drive for

Sep 30, 2010, 11:28 PM

top 20 status. The more eggheads you put into the seats in the classroom the less rowdy the student section will be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I nominate you for student body president!***

Oct 1, 2010, 10:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Oct 1, 2010, 10:26 AM

BE LOUD saturday against Miami!!! Central Spirit will be randomly selecting one person who shares the BE LOUD SATURDAY motto on their Facebook status to win a 2010 Homecoming t-shirt!

For more information on the BE LOUD SATURDAY event and to find instructions for the Homecoming shirt drawing visit the event on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=150981878275543

Last year we had a tough road win down in Miami so lets do all we can to be the 12th man on the field this year to upset Miami again!

BE LOUD SATURDAY

as much as I hate to say it, If we won more games like

Oct 1, 2010, 10:41 AM

the Auburn game that we should've won, i think our student attendance would be much better. i hear people talking all the time about how Clemson will just do the same old thing and lose a close one...

I'm not in that group, and have gone to every Clemson home game the past 3 years except i think 2, plus the gator bowl, chic fil a game, and acccg.

The crazy thing is, a lot of people sneak in to the student section and it's still not full! Trust me, I've been a part of it plenty of times lol

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic