Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The recent event that occured on campus at USC ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

The recent event that occured on campus at USC ...

Feb 7, 2015, 7:40 AM

A professor was shot on campus by his ex-wife. She walked onto campus and to his office and shot him dead, and then turned the gun on herself and committed suicide. It was a sad and tragic event. My heart goes out to the families of the professor and his ex-wife.

But ... Had it happened off campus, none of you would be clamoring about the choice to wear garnet to "support" the USC family.

I think the unfortunate trend of school shootings has become a media darling and any time a tragedy happens on a school campus it gets lumped in with Columbine, Va Tech, and Sandy Hook. And the general public goes drop-jawed and clings to whatever social media trend pops up to support the school family.

Support, sympathy, empathy, prayers - do what you need to do for the school that suffered a loss. But, I feel fairly confident that had the professor been shot by his ex-wife in his home, or had he been killed in a plane crash, or even died from a sudden heart attack - this garnet day event would not have happened.

For some of you, carrying around that enormous ego and pushing your cocky attitude on other people like you're better than everyone else because "YOU ARE CLEMSON", must grow tiresome on days like yesterday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sorta' thought the same thing.

Feb 7, 2015, 8:06 AM

Turns out this wasn't a "school shooting", it was a domestic murder that just took place at the school. News that is just sad news on most broadcasts, becomes a major story just because of sensitivity to the location.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

remind me what happened at Southern Cal***

Feb 7, 2015, 8:11 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The media did its job to whip everyone up into a frenzy.***

Feb 7, 2015, 9:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well said +1***

Feb 7, 2015, 9:42 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I agree - this was no school shooting worthy of the .......

Feb 7, 2015, 9:47 AM

same reaction as the shooting at VT, etc. schools. It was really a private affair - not school-related. You make good points.

Re: The recent event that occured on campus at USC ...

Feb 7, 2015, 10:09 AM

@laid-backtiger I agree with every word like I wrote it myself.

Oops!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh boy... here we go***

Feb 7, 2015, 10:10 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

oh deer lowered...

Feb 7, 2015, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: The recent event that occured on campus at USC ... ]

don't you play for the home team? not that there's anything wrong with that.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: oh deer lowered...

Feb 7, 2015, 9:11 PM

LOL y'all. It was a drive by post, and since the kitchen computer is automatically logged in as LBT, when I get emotional I just post and don't think. Nevertheless, the sentiment is shared by both of us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 10:50 AM

solidarity...bleeding heart bs

country has gone the way of Nancy

sucks but a "school shooting" in need of a passionate response it was not

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 11:01 AM

By that point, people were already trying to find a very small way to acknowledge a bad thing.
Though i agree, and think everyone would, that this is not on the level of VT or Columbine, I don't find it even the slightest bit surprising or inappropriate that people on campus were concerned. These shootings happen. During a lockdown, people are scared. It turned out to be a domestic altercation on campus, but it doesn't change the fear that people there or friends and family may have experienced during the ordeal. Again, hindsight is a beautiful thing.

If you chose to wear colors in support, good for you. That was kind. If you didn't, you're not an inferior or bad person. Why is this something we are still talking about???

null

Feb 7, 2015, 11:05 AM

Because people were being attacked and called classless and tasteless of they were t treating it like VT or columbine. If they didn't wear garnet or didn't want to they were shameful. That afternoon if someone so much as mentioned spurrier's moobs they were classless.

It was a tragic thing that scared the campus and the media ran with it. But people need to stop attacking each other just because they don't feel the need hold SC to the same regard as VT.

If you met a soldier who hurt his knee in basic training you wouldn't treat him like one who lost their lives or limbs on the front lines. Why? Because they are two totally different situations.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The first part of my post was cut off..

Feb 7, 2015, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: The recent event that occured on campus at USC ... ]

Should have read..
The shooting happened, and people on campus were scared. They did not know the details, and Clemson folks wanted to find some small way to acknowledge the fears of students, faculty, and their friends and family. I may be mistaken, but it wasn't until yest that we knew the details.

null

Like Vt and Columbine

Feb 7, 2015, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: The recent event that occured on campus at USC ... ]

Being on lockdown is a scary feeling. I was locked down at Va Tech library when a Radford student killed a cop on campus. However , tragedy is not quite the same. I met many people involved in Va Tech shootings, one guy on EMS first response who walked into a class to see one of his best friends with part of his brains on the ground and many injured that they had to only triage the ones that had a chance and not the ones that were almost dead. I couldn't imagine. I think the Garnet for this event may be much but at least it shows as much as I love football and love to hate on Scar some things are more important.

That's a fair point, but I think what you're missing

Feb 7, 2015, 11:48 AM

Is that because this occurred on campus, it has a *direct* bearing on the psyche and comfort level of the students and staff there. It directly compromises their feelings of safety and security, and has traumatized many of the students and faculty/staff in a very immediate way. I think the outpouring of public support is as much for that as it is for the death itself.

Clemson fans wore garnet last year when the student

Feb 7, 2015, 12:08 PM

was shot at five points. We were all gamecocks that day too. She took a stray bullet, could have been anyone.

So all the crime in 5 points, a lot of which involves..

Feb 7, 2015, 1:01 PM [ in reply to That's a fair point, but I think what you're missing ]

SCU students, hasn't affected their psyche? And has not the fact their campus being in right in the middle of a city with skyrocketing crime rates not affected their psyche? Drive in Columbia for a few minutes and you will hear police sirens now a days. The crime has gotten so bad in Columbia, Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott has had to embarrass the Columbia police department on a few occasions for their incompetence and corruption.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So all the crime in 5 points, a lot of which involves..

Feb 7, 2015, 5:30 PM

You can't go into a septic tank without getting the nasty stuff all over you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It has an impact on all students...

Feb 7, 2015, 5:28 PM [ in reply to That's a fair point, but I think what you're missing ]

who have ex wives that are batchit crazy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And this dude kept on hooking back up with his ex wife..

Feb 7, 2015, 6:44 PM

according to early reports. He called the police on his ex wife for showing up in his lab, and didn't even tell the police that it was his ex wife, just told them it was an Asian female that wanted to get into his degree program.

Feb 7, 2015, 6:08 PM

> A professor was shot on campus by his ex-wife. She
> walked onto campus and to his office and shot him
> dead, and then turned the gun on herself and
> committed suicide. It was a sad and tragic event. My
> heart goes out to the families of the professor and
> his ex-wife.
>
> But ... Had it happened off campus, none of you would
> be clamoring about the choice to wear garnet to
> "support" the USC family.
>
> I think the unfortunate trend of school shootings has
> become a media darling and any time a tragedy happens
> on a school campus it gets lumped in with Columbine,
> Va Tech, and Sandy Hook. And the general public goes
> drop-jawed and clings to whatever social media trend
> pops up to support the school family.
>
> Support, sympathy, empathy, prayers - do what you
> need to do for the school that suffered a loss. But,
> I feel fairly confident that had the professor been
> shot by his ex-wife in his home, or had he been
> killed in a plane crash, or even died from a sudden
> heart attack - this garnet day event would not have
> happened.
>
> For some of you, carrying around that enormous ego
> and pushing your cocky attitude on other people like
> you're better than everyone else because "YOU ARE
> CLEMSON", must grow tiresome on days like yesterday.

I can't say your analysis is necessarily wrong, but I also understand the staff and students doing what they did. USC staff and students did the same when a Clemson student, Tucker Hipps, died....off campus.

Ultimately, as in life, different people react to tragedy in different ways. My way is no better than your way.

Maybe they will make guns illegal on school

Feb 7, 2015, 6:22 PM

campuses now.

Feb 7, 2015, 9:36 PM

I agree with some of the posts here regarding the students put on lock down and as a parent, I would have been horrified by the news of a shooter on campus and the lock down. I pray every day that I send my children to school that we do not ever have to endure such trauma. I do feel horrible for all of those students who were frightened in those unsure moments. I reached out to people I know who have kids on campus at USC and prayers were sent to all of those affected. I pray for healing for anyone impacted, as well as the families involved.

But ... I still think the reaction and response by some here on Tnet was uncalled for. I'm not sure that symbolism = great support. But I have tried to consider times when I do things that symbolize support ... so here goes ...

I wear red, white, and blue on July 4th.
I wear red, white, and blue on Memorial Day.
I wear red, while, and blue on Labor Day

I don't know what makes a person recognize one event over another ... it's not sympathy ... it's not caring ... I don't know what it is. I know this ...

When Sandy Hook happened I was so devastated. On that day I went and picked my children up from school early. I was so sad. I connected because I had children in elementary school. My heart broke into so many pieces and I didn't know what else to do. All I knew was that I wanted my children with me.

In the weeks after that event, given it was Christmas, me and my children made 26 hand-made angel ornaments, and every year we remember as we hang those ornaments on our tree.

I am so ever so grateful that I have my 3 healthy and happy children with me, annoying me, every single day. And as a mom, I will lay my faith on anyone's doorstep in prayer.

Thank you.***

Feb 7, 2015, 10:06 PM

Amen.***

Feb 8, 2015, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Re: The recent event that occured on campus at USC ... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 10:11 PM

I don't get it... I thought this was a Clemson site. Sorry for the loss, but post your thesis on the Coots website

Feb 7, 2015, 11:09 PM

I was wearing garnet (really more wine color ) same day it happened . I was just trying to show the pore bastids some love after their crappie recruiting week. Now I feel somehow complicit in the days events. Am I going to hayull? I'll hang up and listen.

just about everyone in this post as well as several others

Feb 8, 2015, 8:48 AM

Who have repeatedly made fun or light of this tragedy by making fun and have been insensitive to the events that took place should be ashamed. Many of you have Made one tasteless comment after another. Where does it end?

You obviously don't give a crap. And this whole... We grieve in our own way, for many of you, is just a way to indulge in even more classless behavior. When people die, regardless of where, decent people don't act this way. No need to continuously make this into some kind of joke. It really says a lot about who you are.

You know, we all have some sort of tragedy strike us at some point. I've had people I love die and friends, just like many of you. And I do whatever I can to offer support. If it's wearing colors or whatever. You may not agree with me and that's fine by me but good people don't act like this.

Yes I know people die everyday but that doesn't make this ok. The entire point that was being made is that wearing of the colors is a small way to show support for the people who are hurting. Why the need to make fun and post this crap? I think it was a nice thing to do. It may not change anything but it is one way to say you care. Most of you wont do it. Fine. We have said fine. But why keep posting why you don't have to? Why post this garbage? Why not post that it's a kind gesture?

If this kind of tragedy struck Clemson , I guarantee you that for some of the USC fans, wearing an orange shirt for a day to offer a kind loving human gesture would be totally acceptable. Sure not everyone would but posting comments about why they don't have to all day.....????? Really?????

Some of you need help.

For some people it takes something happening to them in their lives

Feb 8, 2015, 9:05 AM

To understand or be compassionate. Self involved people won't look outwards or think of others first.

Re: For some people it takes something happening to them in their lives

Feb 8, 2015, 9:13 AM

You are right. I know I'm wasting my time too. nothing I say will matter. And I'll get a dozen more reasons why I'm wrong I'm sure.

Funny thing is, I'm wrong a lot . Just ask my wife. But Friday I wore garnet and black. And I was proud to. Today I'll wear orange. It was the least I could do.

Re: For some people it takes something happening to them in their lives

Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 AM

And no one faults you for doing so. It was very kind. At least I don't fault you. What ticks me off is the people who call those classless who DIDNT wear garnet. They aren't classless. Doesn't mean they didn't care or feel bad about what happened. Maybe they just don't want to put sc on the same level as VT. I don't fault them for that either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

# of lives = amount of empathy, right?

Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: For some people it takes something happening to them in their lives ]

we've become a "media species", devoted to and ruled by the rhythms of the media about us.

Hence, "if only 2 died, that's not a lead story and more like a #2 story at 6pm. We'll throw, uhh maybe, 3 reporters after it, making sure to get the grieving family members from both sides and a law enforcement member to tell the public that "all is OK". We'll follow up at 11pm with whatever we can add, especially footage, and see if the sensationalism will last more than one news cycle. But note that the "victim" here wasn't a member of the engrained "protected classes" (women, gays, handicapped, certain ethnicities, etc.), so without that "political" side of the story, chances are this'll be over in 2 days and we'll be onto something else...."

So - save your empathy for the really big mass murders, atrocities against protected members of society, and violence against Hollywood types who really are just victims of their own popularity.

There was a song in the 1960's: "what the world needs now is Love, sweet love. It's the only thing that there's just too little of..."

No - what the world needs is more gray matter and less lemmings....

If you think he didn't "give a crap" then you have serious

Feb 8, 2015, 9:08 AM [ in reply to just about everyone in this post as well as several others ]

reading comprehension issues.

Can't believe you're still beating this dead horse.

Day after day after day.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: just about everyone in this post as well as several others

Feb 8, 2015, 10:06 AM [ in reply to just about everyone in this post as well as several others ]

I think you are misconstruing the argument in a big way. Let me add some perspective for you.

Last year, my neighbors lost their son - a police officer - in the line of duty. In the days that followed, me and many of my neighbors changed our porch lights to blue bulbs to show support for that family. What did you do when that happened? It did happen in our state so I assume you did something.

Three years ago, one of the parents at my kids' school had their baby diagnosed with cancer. We organized an event to raise money for the family to support them and the road that they were about to embark on. What did you do for that child? It happened in this state so I assume you did something.

Two years ago, the nurse at our elementary school died of breast cancer. I added her name to my race bib, along with others who I run for in a 5K every October. Here's a better one though ... my neighbors son, who was very fond of the school nurse, has been growing his hair out since the loss, so that he can donate his hair to locks for love. He was 8 when it happened and he made the decision to support her on his own, in that way. What did you do?

It's a tragedy anytime someone loses their life unexpectedly. The level of compassion and caring one shows is personal and based on their connection to the incident, in some ways. Doing something to support what happened to the professor at USC was a personal decision and just because you participated in wear garnet day, and then proceeded to let us know how special you were for doing so, doesn't make you a saint and the rest of us terrible people.

Feb 8, 2015, 10:14 AM

I haven't misconstrued a thing. Go read all the tasteless posts. You guys r idiots

Feb 8, 2015, 11:09 AM

I haven't seen any tasteless posts about it for quite sometime. The ones I did see were soon after the incident and sniffed out quickly and attacked by the very people you're attacking now. All I've seen lately are logical post attacking people who have a holier than thou self righteous attitude such as your self and you're just upset about it.

There've been several shootings on costal carolinas campus over the last 2 years. Where the hell were you Mr. Class?

I wouldn't have bothered replying,

Feb 8, 2015, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: just about everyone in this post as well as several others ]

You just got owned.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

^^^^^^ READ THIS ^^^^^^

Feb 8, 2015, 11:32 AM

Very well said and my sentiments exactly.

null

Feb 8, 2015, 11:40 AM

youre right no one would have made as big a deal about it if it were at home, plane crash, etc......but it happened on campus and affected thousands of people.....quit trying to trivialize something that is obviously not trivial

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic