Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About the sound in Death Valley...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

About the sound in Death Valley...

Jul 13, 2013, 4:15 PM

I was gonna post this as a reply, but I figured it's DT, so why not...

Listen, I want to say something with complete respect. And make no mistake, this argument has been had before:

For those of you "old-timers", "old-farts", "traditionalists" (calm yourself Hartins, you know I'm bringing you the JD come 8/31 ;)), I APPRECIATE YOU. The tradition of Death Valley being loud, proud and orange would never be such without you.

Yet, do you forget when you were young, foolish and crazy...do you forget that you're the reason Death Valley has the reputation it does?

I'm 27, not old, but not a freshman by any means. Honest truth, I hate most 'modern music', I've grown past the latest & greatest and play 70's-90's on my radio most often...but I'm not blind enough yet to see that the young generation, like you once were, drives the pulse of DV.

OP, and most reasonable arguments so far have NOT suggested the abolishing of Tiger Band or any of our SOLID ORANGE Traditions. Matter of fact, I think all reasonable folks wish Tiger Band could get bigger and better. But our noise levels of 130dbs+ have never been measured when our sound system was playing...only when it pumped the crowd to get there.

So, face it 'old farts', if I may take such a liberty...just as you once did...the 'young generation' now drives the pulse of DV, including OUR PLAYERS. Please try to see beyond yourselves for just a moment and lets all agree that our atmosphere is not always what it was in 1981, and "Brown Eyed Girl" by Tiger Band will never get it there again (as much as I love that song).

Thanks for indulging. GO TIGERS, BEAT THE PUPPIES!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.

Jul 13, 2013, 4:20 PM

I for one wish the band would get larger. I'm tired of opposing teams coming into our home with their bands greatly overpowering the sound of ours. Tiger Band just isn't large enough to produce the sound we need it to have without piping it through the sound system, which sounds terrible by the way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band is slowly getting there

Jul 13, 2013, 6:53 PM

Last year Tiger Band set a record as the largest edition of the band in Clemson's history at 285 people. This year that record is going to be broken as the band is now over 300 members strong.

Fun fact for you, last year's membership record setting broke Tiger Band's previous "largest ever" record of almost 270 members, which was in 1981. Maybe there is a correlation between the band and us winning a national championship... a guy can dream.

Regaurdless this year will be crazy.

Fantastic ! I put my faith in Tiger Band 1000%

Jul 13, 2013, 7:22 PM

over piped in music.

Great job !

I have always been a fan , can't wait to hear the 2013 edition.

GO TIGERS

GO TIGER BAND

We especially need more brass

Jul 14, 2013, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Tiger Band is slowly getting there ]

for volume purposes.

How do you TD this?

Jul 13, 2013, 4:31 PM

Got reason to back it up anonymous person...or did you miss the part where I respected and appreciated all the traditions and the people that got us here.

Unreal this place sometimes...

To TD a post you click on the thumbs down button on the

Jul 13, 2013, 7:02 PM

bottom right of the post.

HTH

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

are you being extraordinarily helpful again? very becoming.

Jul 13, 2013, 10:03 PM

i would grant you 1000 help points if it was within the rules.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: are you being extraordinarily helpful again? very becoming.

Jul 13, 2013, 10:05 PM

You know GWP...always here to lighten the mood. I'm far past that point today...lol.

i believe his walk thru was meant to facilitate a td now or

Jul 13, 2013, 10:43 PM

in the future.

i saw no emoticon or evidence gwp was attempting to start the funny.

perhaps i missed something?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I rarely use emoticons

Jul 14, 2013, 12:14 AM

It keeps everyone guessing

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

i'm surprised an enterprising lunger hasn't created the

Jul 14, 2013, 12:23 AM

"gwp" emo; something stoic.

I would do that

Jul 14, 2013, 12:27 AM

if I had the level of interweb expertise of interwebkrzy

perhaps the two of you could have some exchange program...

Jul 14, 2013, 12:34 AM

you'd get the time & he'd get a life?

;)

As long as he doesn't wear his manpurse***

Jul 14, 2013, 12:35 AM

i think he packs his roll over mins in there?***

Jul 14, 2013, 12:35 AM

meh

Jul 13, 2013, 4:41 PM

you want to be hip, go to a pro game

College is about tradition, plain and simple .

sincerely
Old Fart

and Hartins body guard

Re: meh

Jul 13, 2013, 4:54 PM

not about being 'hip'...I'm certainly far from that.

It's about understanding that our students, our players and our future are driven by our younger genration. None of them have any respect for "when I was your age." But everyone keep trying...I'm sure they'll respond with another piercing or tattoo or something of the rebellious sort.

It's funny to me...the 60's and 70's were all about sticking it to the man...and those that were teenagers then...love to ##### about the 'youth of today.'

Anyone tried RELATING to a young person instead of condemning them?

Woa bro, we are getting way off track here

Jul 13, 2013, 5:00 PM

If we were discussing the music selection at Edgars then I would be "down" with your opinion.

but we are not.

We are discussing tradition that , like our Constitution, survives the ever changing sands of time .

I still love "sticking it to the man"

Re: Woa bro, we are getting way off track here

Jul 13, 2013, 5:04 PM

No no, don't take me wrong man. It's not that at all.

Here's what I'm saying...tradition wasn't always tradition. It had to come from somewhere. When the reincarnate of Hootie comes back and tries to suggest we don't Rub the Rock, or play TigerRag...or hey, even that we WooHoo...I'll grab the pitchfork with you!

I'm just questioning, why all the animosity about moving along with the times?

I rest my case as stated above

Jul 13, 2013, 5:27 PM

Let the students do what they want, on their own...be inventive as we were .

I have often been slapped for not minding the WoooHoo and my argument to that is exactly yours....let this class leave its mark.

That is where the impression should come from.
Just like "in too deep"

was not a fan, but respect their "time" to own it

Message was edited by: Tigers84a®

Re: About the sound in Death Valley...

Jul 13, 2013, 5:19 PM

harumph, harumph, harumph

when we get our defense back on track, DV will be as loud as it has ever been

harumph, harumph, harumph

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way to argue with this...finally some logic.

Jul 13, 2013, 5:20 PM

Thx.

Anyone been to an LSU game before? There is absolutely

Jul 13, 2013, 5:28 PM

no piped in music. It's so weird. It's just the band and 85000 screaming fans creating an incredible atmosphere.

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. We take the piped in music to an entirely new level at Clemson. I'm a young guy as well, but it's a little cheesy.

I'm not suggesting the super traditional LSU style, but a happy medium.

Jul 13, 2013, 5:33 PM

the 81 Georgia game was loud, and that all purple GT game a few years ago was too, i was on the grassy knoll for both of them

you young folks need to bring the noise 8-31, lets see what you got!

I'm an "old fart" and "old timer" now so just...........

Jul 13, 2013, 5:38 PM

as long as Tiger Band doesn't play any rap or hip-hop "music" anything new's fine with me.

Whatever pumps the crowd up, I'm down with it.

Jul 13, 2013, 5:48 PM

It doesn't have to be black or white...they can play both.

At the end of a day, I don't look at it as a concert. I'll be yelling on every opposing team's drive regardless. I just want our boys to smash opposing team's helmet in the turf and run the score up on everyone...

How about a crap load of touchdowns...that will

Jul 13, 2013, 5:51 PM

pump up the crowd..

Yep...maybe we're looking at this all wrong.

Jul 13, 2013, 5:55 PM

Maybe we should be concerned about shutting up the opposing crowd with a plethora of TDs.

Jul 13, 2013, 6:10 PM

The same "old farts" that complain about us losing against teams like South Carolina are the same people that sit on their @ss the whole game. If you want to make Death Valley a tough place to play, some changes need to be made. That doesn't mean throw away tradition. We still wear orange, still rub the rock, play tiger rag, etc. Adding a little modern music won't effect tradition and effectively liven our student section. I see no problem...??

A final note, I hope . I reread your post to get a better

Jul 13, 2013, 6:20 PM

understanding.

"I'm 27, not old, but not a freshman by any means. Honest truth, I hate most 'modern music', I've grown past the latest & greatest and play 70's-90's on my radio most often...but I'm not blind enough yet to see that the young generation, like you once were, drives the pulse of DV."

What drives the pulse of Death Valley is the former students now "Old Farts" that finance the whole daum thing !

Message was edited by: Tigers84a®

Re: A final note, I hope . I reread your post to get a better

Jul 13, 2013, 9:16 PM

"Yet, do you forget when you were young, foolish and crazy...do you forget that you're the reason Death Valley has the reputation it does?"

How about this part...if we're taking pieces of my post in context?

rap is more divisive,imo, as is most uh,music(?), oftentime

Jul 13, 2013, 9:27 PM

using language that would get another race or gender in trouble with the public,if not the law, just because of the "thug" nature that the rappers seem to want to get. please tell me where i am wrong at this assumption.

Re: rap is more divisive,imo, as is most uh,music(?), oftentime

Jul 13, 2013, 9:28 PM

You're not...I hate rap. Never mentioned it, nor do I support it's vulgar lyrics.

did you not state "hip-hop", or is that not the same thing?

Jul 13, 2013, 9:33 PM

i've always felt that those two names implied the same musical style.

Re: did you not state "hip-hop", or is that not the same thing?

Jul 13, 2013, 9:39 PM

No, I never stated any style of music. Only the ultimate premise that there's always a young generation that gets undermined by the older generation who forgets that they were once young too.

I've not met a single person yet who wasn't a teenanger/early twentysomething at some point. Yet it seems so easy to forget that once we all got mad at our parents for "keeping us down"...and yet we all turned out okay. I'm sure I'll be there eventually, but as it stands, I'm sympathetic to the youth that I deal with regularly because I remember how that felt.

not so. my sons and i listen to all kinds of music together

Jul 13, 2013, 9:56 PM

they like the harder rock, and the classic rock i listen to. we all have some old country and western music we like, as well as as some of the new country(?).the only two kinds of music that all 3 of us tend to not like is opera and rap. we can even listen to and appreciate classical, r&b, soul,bluegrass, rockabilly ,techno,et al. i apologize, if you didn't, imply rap and/or hip-hop and i thought that you had in an earlier post.

Re: not so. my sons and i listen to all kinds of music together

Jul 13, 2013, 10:03 PM

That's great. my father and I can do the same. We also both love Death Valley when it's loud and rocking...which was actually the subject my rant has been based on.

The music that's piped in or whatever isn't always the thing we'd listen to on the radio together...but I guess maybe we're to busy SCREAMING OUR HEADS off to complain about such trivial things.

Not so for a group of folks it would appear. I guess we should tear down the upper decks, the indoor facility and the WEZ and go back to the good ole days.

That's what frustrates me...that mentality that just because some have grown out of the trends when some were young, they can't respect people's freedom to like what they like. Reminds me of that movie...Grumpy Old Men...which was hilarious by the way. lol

I can see what you're saying...

Jul 14, 2013, 3:19 PM

It's not like Howard's Rock has been there forever (60's) yet some could argue it's one of our greatest 'traditions.'

Fact is...Clemson is not a time capsule. It will not remain exactly the same as it is now. History has shown that change is constant and those disgruntled old souls that cling not only to tradition but ALL that is currently Clemson are setting themselves up for disappointment.

In the end, nothing has to be replaced but things will surely be added, regardless of those out their who hate any and all ideas of change. It is almost a requirement. If you want to remain competitive, you best accept the idea of new things being introduced. It's possible that those with a rooted desire for nostalgia could cost us some recruits and I d@mn sure ain't having none of that.

meh

Jul 13, 2013, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Re: A final note, I hope . I reread your post to get a better ]

seems I covered it

Honestly, I'm more foolish and crazy at 61 than I was at 27

Jul 13, 2013, 7:33 PM

But I have always enjoyed Clemson knowing how to do things right and celebrate established traditions. Would the local elementary school be put in charge of Congressional protocol in Washington? Or the kindergarten class lead Communion at church?

My only issue about the sound in DV is that it seems

Jul 13, 2013, 8:43 PM

that more of it is "piped" in.

There use to seem to be more crowd noise and the band seemed to be louder. I'm not sure I like it when the band is amp'd through the speakers.

Part of it may be attributed to our competition, or lack there of, and some of it to our D, or to the fact we seem to be on O a lot more.

As a 46 year old fart being a student at games from 86-89 (very good D years), the crowd seemed louder. I think we fed off of the D and the D fed off of the students.

Get off my lawn!*****

Jul 13, 2013, 9:41 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this goes a long way

Jul 14, 2013, 8:16 AM

into proving DT really does suck

Loud and intimidating is all that matters!*

Jul 14, 2013, 10:01 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic