Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here Is Why I Think TB Is A Better Recruiter Than Spurrier..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Here Is Why I Think TB Is A Better Recruiter Than Spurrier..

Dec 12, 2004, 7:35 AM

because recruiting takes time to build a players trust. that person wants to know that they are making the right decision on the next 4 years of his life. He wants to be comfortable with the head coach. Spurrier wants to be a finisher. He wants to come in and say "hey Im steve spurrier, come play for me and Ill make you great" and when he says that the players are thinking, "I already am great, I want a coach I know and trust" Trust is built over time in the process of recruiting. Players want to be wined and dined and romanced for 2 years. Steve wants a one night stand and then commitment..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not trying to flame here but did you see

Dec 12, 2004, 7:46 AM

what spurrier did at florida? Quite impressive don't you think?

Re: not trying to flame here but did you see

Dec 12, 2004, 7:53 AM

look what spurrier had to work with at florida. most of the real good recrutes will stay home in florida. thet will not go to south carolina.

true dat but i am just saying before spurrier got to florida

Dec 12, 2004, 7:59 AM

they were average right regardless of what you say. He turned that program around. All the players he put in the nfl a ton of them

Charley Pell turned the UF program around.

Dec 12, 2004, 9:08 AM

Until CP got there UF had never won an SEC championship and was considered an annual also-ran in the SEC. The UF administration looking at the turnaround of FSU by BB brought CP in and basically gave him a blank check and chose to look the other way. In 1984 they won their first SEC crown only to have it stripped (I have a coke bottle proclaiming them SEC champs). CP was fired and Galen Hall took over. Under the restraints of NCAA penalties and Miami's rising status he did pretty well but the administration still chose to look the other way until they had the death penalty staring them square in the face. In comes Spurrier with his Fun-n-Gun and talent rich Florida.

Spurrier's biggest turnaround was keeping UF off probation rather than winning games but he did both. He brought the west coast style of play to the SEC and the South. Spurrier did not inherit a down and out team as some would make it sound as he had many more things going for him at UF than he does in Columbia. The man won at Duke and he won at UF. They were both much different situations than USC and it is going to be interesting to see what he does in Columbia but I really think this is his biggest challenge and don't know if he still has the fire to do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah i remember charley pell you know the only team

Dec 12, 2004, 9:28 AM

really that can pluck top notched talent out of florida is clemson so many ties in that state

Re-read your history

Dec 12, 2004, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Charley Pell turned the UF program around. ]

UF never won the SEC until Spurrier. Pell never won one. To me, CP was overrated. He screwed CU and then went to UF and committed violations.

Prior to SOS, UF was just a big, clunky program that would occasionally have some good seasons and would produce some good/great players. (Back then, the SEC was dominated by UGA, Bama, and AUB.) UK was kinda like what SC is - nothing great despite the ridiculous support and resources. The difference is that UF sits in the middle of the most fertile recruiting area of the country. The ONLY way SC could ever hope to duplicate what UF did is to recruit out of state, much like UT does. IMHO, I don't see us ever doing that on a consistent basis, but then again who would have thought a small school in the northwestern corner of SC could ever win a national championship?

Read my comments carefully.

Dec 12, 2004, 5:06 PM

In 1984 UF won the SEC championship but it was later stripped from them due to NCAA sanctions. I have a commerative Coca-Cola from 1984 bottle proclaiming them SEC Champions. The actual timeframe from them being declared champions to having it striped was about two weeks. That Year they went 9-1-1 starting with a loss to Miami, a tie with LSU and 9 straight victories.

You said Spurrier wouldnt go to SC.***

Dec 12, 2004, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: not trying to flame here but did you see ]

He didn't go to Southern Cal...that job was taken.

Dec 12, 2004, 10:08 AM

Still can't figure out why he would go to cootville. I guess he wanted the final nail in his coaching coffin. They don't call it the graveyard for nothing. As if getting his a$$ handed to him in washington every week for 2 years wasn't enough. Man, I can't wait to see those lips flappin' after we come down to the roach motel and lay another beatin on you.
29-7

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What you saw in Florida..........

Dec 12, 2004, 8:14 AM [ in reply to not trying to flame here but did you see ]

was done by his staff. Ask ANY UF football junkie and he'll tell you that SS is not a good recruiter. Not all coaches are that reach that level due to organizational duties/responsibilities. On the other hand, Coach Bowden learned from one of the best closers in college FB, his Dad. Trust me, when the REAL OBC comes calling on the 4 and 5 stars and Coach Bobby wants them, he closes the deal. Period!

Well the bottom line is the guy won at florida

Dec 12, 2004, 8:29 AM

Not saying he will at usuck nobody can win there. You cannot take away what he did at florida. If bowden can do the same at clemson what spurrier did at florida than i will be please

Hey atlanta, not trying to flame here but did you see

Dec 12, 2004, 8:22 AM [ in reply to not trying to flame here but did you see ]

63-17 and 29-7?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or 62 other reasons cootlumbia is not Gainesville

Dec 12, 2004, 12:33 PM

I wonder when little stevie wonder will have a "Dorothy " moment and realize he is not in Kansas anymore ( or Florida in this case)

Look at your history of posts You are the human torch !

Dec 12, 2004, 12:29 PM [ in reply to not trying to flame here but did you see ]

Nothing burns brighter than a post that starts with " Not trying to flame."

Did you see what Holtz did at Notre Dame?

Dec 12, 2004, 2:07 PM [ in reply to not trying to flame here but did you see ]

Doesn't always translate does it?

I know guys that were recruited by him, and I've

Dec 12, 2004, 8:40 AM

read this in the paper. His style is the same. He will tell a player they have great potential, and he'd like to coach them. But, he will also say, if you decide to go elsewhere, that's fine, we will still compete next year without you.

In other words, he is not going to inflate a players ego and make that player think that USC (or Florida) can't live without them the next four years. He basically says "I'd like to have you, and come if you want to, but we're going to be playing football regardless."

heard from a family member of Austin that

Dec 12, 2004, 9:07 AM

Spurrier contacted him 3 times last week, and the family finally said "quit calling his commitment is firm". I hope this is indicative of our other commitments, because I am sure Spurrier is working just as hard on them.

I wonder how many times he has called R. Taylor?***

Dec 12, 2004, 9:28 AM

Re: Here Is Why I Think TB Is A Better Recruiter Than Spurrier..

Dec 12, 2004, 9:18 AM

Take a look at what Spurrier did at Duke,A school that has a hard time getting football recruits. He won the ACC championship one year and had a very respectable two other years there. One of the reasons he liked to torment the other coaches in the SEC is because they respected the talent that he had playing for him, but not his ability as a coach. Just ask Danny Ford; one of the few coachs that Spurrier seemed to have respect for. Danny new Spurriers capability from having coached against him in the ACC. Regardless of what the talent level Spurrier has playing for him, he'll put a team on the field that we'll have to deal with.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier will get a chance to showcase his coaching ability

Dec 12, 2004, 9:35 AM

next year. :)

A coot in a Tiger suit...Halloween is over and you are still

Dec 12, 2004, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Here Is Why I Think TB Is A Better Recruiter Than Spurrier.. ]

a coot. Good try and thanks for participating

And here is why you're wrong.

Dec 12, 2004, 2:46 PM

When Spurrier left Florida for Washington there were 47 players in the NFL that he recruited to Florida. And before you say...."well that was Florida" keep 2 things in mind: 1) Florida never was able to boast #'s like that before Spurrier and 2) Thats more players than Florida State or Miami put in the NFL during the same time period. When Tommy appoaches, say half of that number, tell him to give the OBC a call.

who has put more players in the NFL: Louser or Tommy Bowden?

Dec 12, 2004, 2:47 PM

oh wait, but what's their head to head record.

check friggin mate!!!

Perhaps its time for you to wake up and read the thread.

Dec 12, 2004, 2:54 PM

The original post was Tommy vs. Spurrier in Recruiting. Far from Tommy vs. Lou Holtz head to head don't you think.

Re: Perhaps its time for you to wake up and read the thread.

Dec 12, 2004, 2:55 PM

Im using that to warn you against running your mouth needlessly because you are already assuming spurrier is gonna actually do better than louser. Im trying to help you out lil fella!!

You are obviously reading way too much into my posts.

Dec 12, 2004, 3:00 PM

I reiterate - the original post was simply comparing Tommy as a recruiter and Spurrier as a recruiter. The only way you can do this is to look at history, after all - the man has never signed even 1 player to USC yet. Its really that simple. I never made any implications that he is going to have top 5 classes in the country at USC or even surpass Lou in this particular category. I simply said that he did one hell of a job as a recruiter at Florida. Period.

Re: You are obviously reading way too much into my posts.

Dec 12, 2004, 3:02 PM

and I gave you the name Lawson Holland. Go up to spurrier and mention that name.

give tommy 11 yrs and the numbers will be close ***

Dec 12, 2004, 2:49 PM [ in reply to And here is why you're wrong. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

uhhh, ok. Whats he up to now after 6 years? 5?***

Dec 12, 2004, 2:56 PM

nm

He is 5-1 against the last greatest savior, so 6 is the

Dec 12, 2004, 2:58 PM

correct answer...but the argument shouldnt be what he did at florida, the coots will never have the respect that florida had..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: uhhh, ok. Whats he up to now after 6 years? 5?***

Dec 12, 2004, 2:58 PM [ in reply to uhhh, ok. Whats he up to now after 6 years? 5?*** ]

to be honest, I dont care how many go to NFL. I only care about winning on Saturdays. you all want to spin away from head to head competition.

You continue to argue apples and oranges.

Dec 12, 2004, 3:02 PM

I did not post the original in this thread. The poster said nothing about USC vs. Clemson head to head, or about Tommy vs. Lou, etc., etc., the poster was comparing Spurrier as a recruiter to Tommy as a recruiter. GEEZ!

As of Today Spurrier hasnt had a recruit play a down for usc

Dec 12, 2004, 3:04 PM

so i would say be default that Bowden is a better recruit at clemson, than spurrier is at usuc..where is the argument

Again, its really not that hard to comprehend.

Dec 12, 2004, 3:09 PM

The original post just said Tommy as a recruiter vs. Spurrier as a recruiter. It did not say Tommy as a recruiter at Clemson vs. Spurrier as a recruiter at USC. The USC part is irrelevant as they both have histories we can look at.

spurrier doesnt recruit..when is that gonna sink in?***

Dec 12, 2004, 3:11 PM

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic