Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the situation.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 2,183

My take on the situation.

Dec 20, 2006, 9:52 AM

I started as a freshman at Clemson in 1968 which means that during my five football seasons as a student we never have a winning season. (Blame it on me if you want to). However during those five seasons and ever since I always enjoyed going to games, IPTAY meetings, other events and just meeting Clemson people in general while talking Clemson sports and in general. Clemson was a special place and I always thought about Rev. Dodd's saying "We're Clemson, We're better than that". My wife and I have even discussed moving to Clemson when she retired.

Lately I have started to rethink the situation as it seems that no one is happy about Clemson any more. It's not the team's record or play but people just find something to complain about. I met a fellow Clemson fan a while back and mentioned what a great time I had at the Peach bowl. The first thing he started talking about was how he got shafted by the ticket office. If you try to talk about how great the team played the first of the season to anyone they immediately come back about how sorry the teams were that we played. If you try to post something positive on the board someone will immediately post something negative to contradict you.

It has reached a point that we are as negative as any other group anywhere. We make fun of Alabama trying to resurrect the Bear and the coots worshiping SOS and at the same time talk about DF in those same reverend tones.

Right now out recruiting is going as bad as it was going good a few months back. People say that Internet boards don't influence recruits but attitude does and right now the attitude of the typical Clemson fan is turning off recruits. If you are a recruit looking at the next four years would you rather commit to a program where the administration just committed to the head coach by giving him a big raise or to one where they refused to even consider it. What kind of message does this send?

To counter the message that we didn't give our coach a raise we say that we refuse to accept mediocrity. But what are we willing to accept? When KH took over the program most people agree that he killed it. But it was more than just him, our fans didn't help keep the Clemson spirit alive. Right now I see a similar attitude among the fans that whether deserved or not they have deserted TB and unless he can pull off a miracle he has little chance of winning them back.

I don't have the answer but right now I feel more depressed about Clemson football than I ever have and it is not because of the team or coaches but rather the attitude of the fans. There are a lot of positives about Clemson football and they aren't hard to find so the next time you meet a fellow Clemson fan don't let your opening statement be a complaint. Jad Dean knows he missed some FG's this year, you don't have to tell him that. He made quite a few but few people seem to remember those. The team lost 4 games but the also won 8, focus on the wins and be happier. It won't solve all your problems but it will help with your ulcers.

A Clemson man needs no introduction especially if the first words out of your mouth are "Fire Tommy Bowden".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only those who were around for 68-72 seasons

Dec 20, 2006, 9:54 AM

can truly appreciate what you're saying.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was not, but . . .

Dec 20, 2006, 9:58 AM

I was there for Hatfield/West years, and I indeed do understand what was so eloquently said.

If I could award multiple points I would. Well put! Away with Negative Nancies! I think there are many of us out there who are becoming exhausted with the negative spin/attitude/feeling generated by those vocally bemoaning the state of the program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Hootie!

Dec 20, 2006, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Only those who were around for 68-72 seasons ]

And never let him back on the tailgate show.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Fire Hootie!

Dec 20, 2006, 10:07 AM

done and ...done.

Fire Hootie! I think we did....

Dec 20, 2006, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Fire Hootie! ]

...fire him. The genius that took away the Hill run. What a visionary. LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only those who were around for 68-72 seasons

Dec 20, 2006, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Only those who were around for 68-72 seasons ]

I've been around CU football from the 1956 season on. Believe me, the late 60s and 70s were painful until Pell started the reversal in 77. I think a lot of the problems stem from society in general feeling owed something. It seems that many people have a sense of entitlement and want instant gratification in everything. Maybe it's age, but I refuse to let the actions of kids 17-22 years of age dictate my happiness and my life. I want to see CU achieve great heights in sports, but believe me, it's not life or death. There are many much more important things and it's each person's attitude that will dictate their satisfaction and happiness. We all reap what we sow. Soap box off now. Go Tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said, sir ...***

Dec 20, 2006, 11:11 AM

Haven't been around nearly as long as you...

Dec 20, 2006, 9:58 AM

But I don't think that the problem of negativity is Clemson's problem... I think that's a problem with our society today, no matter where you go. But I don't want to go into a whole lotta depth with that here.

null

It's all about the $$$ unfortunately***

Dec 20, 2006, 11:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have only encountered the negativity on this board.

Dec 20, 2006, 10:00 AM

As a whole I think the Clemson fan base is dissapointed, but optimistic, and continues to support Bowden. If recruits make a decision based upon an internet msg board where anyone can be a member, then they are not making good decisions. We want recruits that want to come here because they bleed orange, and want to help our program get to where it once was. If they come here solely to pad stats, get media attention and win an NC, then their priorities are not in line, and they wind up causing problems and getting into trouble. JMO

I think any player that goes to a big-time conference school

Dec 20, 2006, 10:05 AM

wants to win a NC... IMO.

null

true, but is that their only motivation? If so, it can be

Dec 20, 2006, 10:06 AM

problematic.

Re: true, but is that their only motivation? If so, it can be

Dec 20, 2006, 10:08 AM

I don't think I want any recruits who aren't coming here with the expectation of winning championships. What's wrong with that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you aren't reading my posts. I am talking about sole

Dec 20, 2006, 10:14 AM

motivation. What types of people have an NC, or media attention, and/or stat padding as their sole motivation?
Wanting to win an NC, wanting to get some attention, and wanting to put up some numbers are great, but when that is all you care about you neglect other aspects. Such as making grades, getting a diploma, building for the future, growing and maturing socially etc.

Footballfan has a point

Dec 20, 2006, 10:17 AM

I the career of a college football player on 3 to 5 teams will be crowned NC. Its not very likely they will achive it so if that's they're only motivation and they don't see it coming in their short lived careers they may become problematic.

Re: you aren't reading my posts. I am talking about sole

Dec 20, 2006, 10:19 AM [ in reply to you aren't reading my posts. I am talking about sole ]

OK, can't argue with that. But if you're a top recruit with EVERY major program clawing at each other for your services, what is first on your mind? I would think it would be "where should I go to maximize my opportunity?" Don't you think that is only natural?

BTW, do you think Spiller to Clemson had nothing to do with making the most of his (likely) three-year college career? Please.

Of course Spiller wanted to make the most of his opportunity

Dec 20, 2006, 10:25 AM

but he also wanted to get a good education (whether he gets the diploma or not), and be in an environment that was nurturing, with a good Christian coach. Spiller has said himself, that he wanted to come to Clemson, to help get them back where they used to be. He never mentioned an NC, and his reactions to his numbers this year show that he wasn't solely concerned with putting up big numbers right away.

And maximizing your opportunity can mean many different things depending on the person.

Re: Of course Spiller wanted to make the most of his opportunity

Dec 20, 2006, 10:30 AM

Actually, I took the comment about helping Clemson get back.....to mean back in the NC, or at least being in the hunt. As for the education part, unless he's on track to graduate in three, he's not thinking about a bachelor's degree as his ticket to a good future.

He plans to play on Sunday and make big bucks--as he should. I think TB's Christian character did make a difference in his decision, but I would guess early pt and a very good shot at the ACC championship/BCS showcase game was a bigger factor. Call me cynical. Or realistic. Am I overachieving? I'll leave that up to the fans to decide.

Message was edited by: David78®

I still think that a lot of players want the best possible-

Dec 20, 2006, 10:38 AM

education even if they think they may go early. Why not get 3 years of the best you think or know you can get, even if you don't finish?

Well, more power to you, buddy

Dec 20, 2006, 10:47 AM

I just don't think a three-year education means squat diddly to the top players. If you have no realistic expectation of an NFL career, then yes, the education is the thing. To a Spiller? I don't think so.

Is he loading up on courses to graduate in three? I don't know, but I would be very surprised.

Agreed.. I think it's just PART of their motivation normally

Dec 20, 2006, 10:09 AM [ in reply to true, but is that their only motivation? If so, it can be ]

I also agree that it can be a problem if it's their only motivation. Go to an NFL team to win a championship and that's all. Go to a school to grow, learn, play, and win.

null

POTY!!!******

Dec 20, 2006, 10:01 AM

I'm not sure I would base my opinion of Clemson and

Dec 20, 2006, 10:02 AM

retirement plans based on some tigernet posters.

I think the vast majority of Clemson fans are not negative. At least not the 15k going to Nashville, nor the 80k that go to each game.

Go ahead, retire and move to Clemson. I think that's a great idea.

There are a few wackos that visit this board just to bash the Tigers. There are some of them at every program.....

I would die in Clemson if I have the opportunity

Dec 20, 2006, 10:03 AM

and be buried there.

It truly is a great place to be***

Dec 20, 2006, 10:06 AM

null

If we didn't "drop the ball" so to speak so often under TB

Dec 20, 2006, 10:37 AM

then you wouldn't hear the complaints. Also, TB doesn't help his case with all the BS excuses. He spouts out statistics at the drop of a hat, when only one matters (Wins). I'm glad Clemson fans are disappointed. We should never accept mediocrity and the asinine excuses that come along with it.

Great post. For many years we long timers would simply

Dec 20, 2006, 10:43 AM

read the papers and see who we signed in recruitng, looked at injury reports and basically talked among oursleves at tailgates and the barbecue circuit. The internet sports board has brought some positives in terms of getting info quickly. It also provides a forum, a pedestal if you will, for the worst of fandom to take center stage and get more notariety and credibility than it deserves.

The fan base has changed as new generations emerge in tiger nation, you can see an change in them from those of 20 years or more ago.

The mentality of this current era was forged by our success in the late 70"s, most of the 80's and into the 90's. I knew things were different when a plane flew over DV pulling a banner to fire KH and letters to recruits asking them not to come to CU.

Today, a portion of fan loyalty wants and expects more than can be delivered on a consistent basis in College football. We were a dynasty at one time. So were many other traditional programs. Where have they gone? Things have changed so much. It is not just our fan base its most other schools.

Re: Great post. For many years we long timers would simply

Dec 20, 2006, 10:58 AM

Oragngesky I remember that plane well, it was the last game I attended for years, I never quit loving my tigers but I coudn't bear to go to games and hear all the pure crap that was being spewed to the point you couldn't watch the game. Oddly, I found myself feeling a hint of the same THIS year at games, hopefully for my kid's sake I want let it get to me like it did back then. I too remember the lean years of the early seventies and when we turned the corner in 77 that was when clemson football seemed to really elevate itself to a different level. the younger interent generation has a lot to learn in many areas especially clemson football.

HOF.***

Dec 20, 2006, 10:57 AM

Good post!!! Spot on!!! I would like to add something too

Dec 20, 2006, 10:58 AM

I understand exactly what you're talking about, what I want to talk about is the reason fans are acting like they are. In some ways Clemson is a victim of its own success, much like Alabama. In other ways Clemson is a victim to the changing world of college football in general.

Many people would say the reason is that the coaching is bad, playcalling is bad, our QB is bad, Tommy's lost the team, whatever. That's what we read daily on Tigernet, but the reason for these attitudes goes much deeper and sadly, as with all things that make good people bad, it revolves around money.

There is a facilities race going on in college football right now and Clemson, from President Barker, to Bill D'Andrea, to Tommy Bowden have all been sucked in and consumed by it. So have the fans. We have to keep up with the Jones'. To do that we have to win games and fans and alumni have to give more money.

As fans, IPTAY members, and alumni are asked to fork over more and more money, the expectations of the fans begins to be tied to their contribution to the cause. They begin to see it as an investment. Many people spend as much as 1 out of every 5 or 6 dollars they make on Clemson football. Let's take a lok at a longtime Clemson family with a husband, wife, and two kids. Both the husband and wife have been clemson fans since the 70's. At that time their parents donated $100 bucks a year or less and sat on the 50 yardline. Now they are grown and want their kids to experience the fun of Clemson football just as they did when they were kids. SO....

The father and mother both work and make about $80,000 a year. Dad donates $2,500 a year to IPTAY to keep sitting in his father's seats. He then has to pay $2,400 for four season tickets. He lives in Columbia, as did his father, and has to drive 300 miles to the games. He then has to stay in a hotel room, which is about $400 per night in the same area where decades earlier he stayed with his parents. Then there's the food for tailgating and the $5.00 soft drinks. Alltogether, Dad ad family pay about $7,000, or nearly 10% of their income on Clemson football.

That's more money than they give to their church. It's more than they put in their savings account each year. It's more than they spend saving for their kids education.

Furthermore, they are told their increased spending will produce results on the field. It will produce a championship team. More money means better facilities, which means better recruits, which means more wins down the road.

Well, the next few years are going to be "down the road" and it will only get worse, much worsae, if we do not see the results we have been promised. Most Clemson fans enjoy the games just because they love Clemson. But when these same people have to give 10% of their income to enjoy what their parents enjoyed spending 3% of their income, they will act more like betting fans sitting at a sports bar in Las Vegas than the "fans" we all grew up knowing. Money can turn good people bad, even Clemson people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on the situation.

Dec 20, 2006, 11:05 AM

I have to agree with what you said. As you can see, I am not much of a poster....I do come here to read but rarely do I post a response. However, lately, I come here more out of habit than anything else because alot of the stuff here is so negative or just plain immature and stupid.

Get behind the Tigers and the University or go away....or better yet, make a new chat room for "stupid, immature, negative people only".

Think for a moment if you were a parent of an athlete - how would it make you feel to read some of the things being said in here. And please dont come back with "it is done everywhere". I dont care about everywhere else - I only care about Clemson.

Great post!

Dec 20, 2006, 11:13 AM

Frogman, I think you are right on in so many ways and it is sometimes the fall of the team when message boards are looked upon for how the fan base actually feels. I love Tigernet, and read often, post very little but mostly I'm here checking on what's new. I love Clemson more. I realize that many get on here with good intention, some with bad intentions and sometimes things are praised and sometimes things are bashed and beaten like a dead horse.

I grew up going to Clemson games, I was 4 when Clemson won the national championship and although I don't really remember those early games, players, coaches, I do remember going to games with my Granddad and loving Clemson, the place and the people. I graduated from Clemson not because of the football team, the coaches, but for the people and the place.

There is something in those hills...football is apart of it, win lose or draw, I'm happiest in those hills.

Go Tigers!

I started being aware of Clemson football

Dec 20, 2006, 11:16 AM

in the early 70s. It isn't that Clemson has changed so much, it is that college football has changed so much. Clemson used to get one or two regional broadcasts a year back in the early 70's. The South Carolina game was generally televised. Other than that, I can't even really remember seeing a televised game. The first bowl game that we played in under Pell was a HUGE deal at the time because we were televised nationally and had the national ABC crew working the game (as I recall). Nowadays, having a national crew working a national game is not THAT big a deal anymore. We usually have Musburger show up once a year. The games in the early 70s were very special. We lived close to the stadium, so I could play outside and know how we were doing because I could hear the roar of the crowd from the stadium. Going to the games was special, because we knew a lot of alumni who'd been around since the 1940's and who had phenomenal seats, so getting invited to a game was a big deal. We understood that we were a university that happened to have a football team, and we treated it like that. Beating Wake Forest or Duke was still cool, because it was part of a conference rivalry. Nowadays, many Clemson fans act like we are so vastly superior to Wake Forest and Duke that losing to them should get somebody fired. Guess what? UNC and Duke completely overmatch Clemson in basketball, and yet we've beaten both teams a number of times over the years, including beating UNC when it was #1 and Duke back in the early 80's a couple of times when it was a real powerhouse. No one got fired over that. My biggest fear is that our fans will get with basketball like they've gotten with football. Winning and getting to the playoffs won't be enough. We'll have to beat conference opponents easily or it just won't be satisfactory. People will call for Purnell's head because he failed to insert Merriweather in the last two minutes.

Thumbs Up Frog!! Agree Wholeheartedly.***

Dec 20, 2006, 12:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: My take on the situation.

Dec 20, 2006, 12:52 PM

Great post. but...
There is balance in everything. I believe its true we must support our team and university without limitation but fans also need to be able to hold coaches accountable for their decsions.....considering they make a lot of Cash to do their job well.

I do hold coaches accountable

Dec 20, 2006, 1:07 PM

when recruiting starts to suffer and we are losing and our players are not put in the situations to win games, I will gladly question our coaches. As for now, we are recruiting better than ever, beginning to show some consistency with possibly back to back 9 win seasons and possibly back to back seasons finishing in top 25, our players were put in situations in which they could have won 3 of the 4 losses, and the coaches run a clean program. Not much to complain about, just execute a few more plays and were there.

Replies: 36
| visibility 2,183
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic