Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
State of the Program '06 (kind of long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

State of the Program '06 (kind of long)

Nov 26, 2006, 4:05 PM

First off, I am absolutely ashamed and embarrassed to have Tommy Bowden as our head coach. This horse died at about 3:30 yesterday, but I’m still going to take a few shots at it. Pulling Reggie Merriweather on the last drive, especially in the red zone, is unforgivable. Bowden has made some big mistakes in his tenure here, and I can normally forgive him when he gets our team back on track. Even if we were to win the ACC championship next year, I would still want another coach.

Bowden has shown an uncanny ability for throwing players under a bus and playing favorites. He contradicts himself by saying that he’ll go with whoever has the ‘hot hand,’ and then sending Reggie to the sidelines for the one RB who has been cold for the last 4 games. (That’s not a knock on James; he’s a great RB who has done wonderful things for this program and will continue to be a major part of this team) It reminded me of pulling James for CJ on the goal line against BC.

CJ and James are absolutely phenomenal athletes. Their raw talent goes unmatched. But sometimes you just have to line up and play smashmouth football, and the go-to guy in that situation HAS to be Reggie. Even if they stack 9 in the box, Reggie will get you 3-4 yards on every play. Had we been willing to put Reggie in when we got into the red zone against Maryland, we’d be playing for an ACC championship. I agree that he should not be the starter, but he should have definitely gotten more than 4 carries in the last 6 games of his senior season. Spence and Bowden turned their backs on one of the most passionate players Clemson has ever had.

I was a bit of a moderate Bowden supporter when this year began. I thought he had us on the right track. A very small part of me still does. But even with the injuries we’ve had this year, there is not ONE excuse to explain why we are not playing for an ACC Championship other than the fact that our coaching staff is not getting the job done. Even after the bad game yesterday, I still think I have more faith in Koening than any of our other coaches. They’ve left Proctor in when he should have been pulled (VT game; let him be the starter the following week, but send him a message and get him upset so he’ll come to practice fired up), they’ve pulled Reggie and James in situations where they should’ve been the go-to backs (BC and Carolina), and they’ve failed to put our outstanding and talented players in a position to win.

The loss to the Gamecocks stings, but no one should be ready to explode over it. They were the better team yesterday, and I give all the credit to the Carolina coaches. The loss to Carolina, in Death Valley, is just the icing on what has to be the most disappointing season in Clemson history. More disappointing than ’04, more disappointing than winning only two games, more disappointing than any other season I can think of. I’m not NEARLY as upset over the game yesterday as I am with the fact that the only two teams with winning records that we beat will be playing for the ACC Championship.

We have a coach that is afraid to get his hands dirty. He’s afraid of hurting players’ feelings. With some of the bone-head calls he’s made this year, I don’t think it’d be too much of a stretch to say he’s afraid of winning. I don't think he will never get us over this hump. I don’t care if Korn comes in next year and throws a billion touchdowns, my faith in Bowden will NEVER be restored. We should have won it this year, and it did not happen. Nothing we can do in the future will take away from the disappointment that was the ’06 season.

I don’t deserve better as a fan. The people who deserve better are the players, who bust their butts all season just to be let down by the coaches. Yes, they’ve had some games where they underperformed, but it’s the coaches’ jobs to have the players ready to play and to make adjustments when things aren’t going the way we planned. With the talent coming back next year, we could win 8-9 games. But would anyone really be satisfied with that? Should we not expect more, given the talent and facilities and the mere fact that Bowden has been here for 8 years? This has nothing to do with the game yesterday, either. Nothing that happened yesterday changes the facts in this post. I’m as upset now as I was at 11:00 yesterday morning. I will always pull for the Tigers, but this might be the most disappointed I’ve ever been in pulling for a team.

Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh my...another member of "Fairweather Fans Anonymous"***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:14 PM

just b/c somebody expresses displeasure with the state of

Nov 26, 2006, 4:15 PM

the program makes them a bad or a fairweather fan??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're 8-4.

Nov 26, 2006, 4:22 PM

e.g.It's the same crowd that wanted to keep Tommy West around and we were 3-8 all because he was a Danny Ford protege'.

we beat two high school programs in Temple and FLA ATL

Nov 26, 2006, 4:24 PM

I compare similar programs when looking at a season. I hate it we even play teams like Temple etc. its a waste of a game and doesnt help your team with anything except giving them a false sense of security. we beat two good teams this year in Wake and FSU and both were incredibly sloppy and should have lost Wake.

and we beat Wake And Tech-meeting next Sat.***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:26 PM

we sure have a lot to show for it...***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:27 PM

I sure hope that makes you feel better knowing we beat the

Nov 26, 2006, 4:28 PM

two teams playing in the ACCCG.. makes me wanna puke

it does...The future is bright if we can keep the nuts @ bay***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:30 PM

I believe the future is bright.. but some could say about

Nov 26, 2006, 4:33 PM

this year that the QB position was our missing link? What was it last year? and the year before?

Re: I believe the future is bright.. but some could say abou

Nov 26, 2006, 4:35 PM

This year we had no QB.

Last year our defense was young and struggled in Koenning's first year, cost us some games.

2 years ago our coordinators flat out sucked. I was there for the 2004 Duke game. Thanks for that one O'Cain!

I hear you. At least wait til the season and NSD are over***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:36 PM [ in reply to I believe the future is bright.. but some could say about ]

exactly, and that sucks.***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:27 PM [ in reply to We're 8-4. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not exactly

Nov 26, 2006, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Oh my...another member of "Fairweather Fans Anonymous"*** ]

My loyalties lie with Clemson University and the players. Yes, Bowden got those players to come here, but he seems to be undermining our ability to win games. I think some of his decisions hurt the program, which is what upsets me.

Am I a fairweather fan of America if I don't support Bush?

I wouldn't go there....***

How did you get that?

Nov 26, 2006, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Oh my...another member of "Fairweather Fans Anonymous"*** ]

He said he won't stop supporting this team. That doesnt mean blindly being in love with the coaching staff.

GO TIGERS

right, cause the coaching staff isn't part of the team.***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:19 PM

Give this man some HOF votes!***

i'm ashamed and embarrassed of you

every loss seems to bring about a "SKY IS FALLING" attitude. we're better than that. it wasn't bowden's fault our defense missed almost every tackle yesterday. it wasn't bowden's fault that spot on 4th and short got moved up by the refs. it wasn't bowden's fault proctor went back to his bad form in the 2nd half yesterday. buck up and get ready for the bowl game, and quit the whining. insulting the coach is not going to change yesterday's result.

Yesterday's game is only one game, not the whole season

Nov 26, 2006, 4:19 PM

This did not arise from the outcome of yesterday's game. My frustration started in Blacksburg and erupted at Maryland. We have to be prepared for EVERY game, and it looks to me like the coaches tried to mail it in following the GT game.

Re: Yesterday's game is only one game, not the whole season

Nov 26, 2006, 4:23 PM

look man, i want us to win every game. i wanted to win yesterday, and i wanted us to win the other games we lost this year. but to say there must be some kind of conspiracy for the coaching staff to lampoon are season is garbage. you know it, and i know it. give it a rest.

I don't think I ever went that far in my post

Nov 26, 2006, 4:24 PM

It's just been a frustrating season, to say the least. We had a whole bunch of potential. And maybe the fact that I'm mad about an 8 win season is a sign we're moving in the right direction. I don't know.

i would like to see Korn throw a billion touchdowns***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:16 PM

me too***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:23 PM

Yes, that a contradiction. I see where you're coming from

But, what I meant by that was, there are certain players on the team that Bowden seems to play favorites with, and others who don't neccessarily fit into his gameplan that he tosses aside. Bowden did not utilize the talent on the team yesterday by refusing to leave Reggie in. He did not utilize the talent on the team by leaving Proctor in for the 4th quarter of the VT game. It's a contradiction in my argument only because it's another contradiction in Bowden's philosophy as a coach.

Like they say in boxing, everyone's got a plan until they get hit. Bowden and Spence have shown themselves to be stubborn and refuse to make changes.

not smooth, but not wrong either. losing culture here.***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree with the 'losing culture'

Nov 26, 2006, 4:29 PM

If anything, the fact that I'm upset might be a sign that we've come to expect more, and maybe even SHOULD expect more. I'll never turn on this team, but I think that we were capable of winning more than 8 games in the regular season this year.

You're already cast your lot***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:37 PM

YOU cast me in that lot

Nov 26, 2006, 4:46 PM

Your interpretation of my post may lead you to think that I am in some way trying to say "the sky is falling."

This is not the end of the world. But I think there is something wrong with our program, something that should be addressed by those who care for it and want to see it be the best it can be. For me to not state my opinion, for me to sit back and not say anything when something I care for seems to be harmed, would cast me in the lot of the 'losing culture.' If I thought that our problems could not be fixed in any way, I would be a part of the 'losing culture.'

I was hoping that some could reply to my post with their own ideas for how to fix the program, which is not beyond repair. We can and will persevere, but I do want to address some of the things that are holding us back.

wait until the season and NSD are over.

Nov 26, 2006, 4:49 PM

Only then can we really take a look at the whole program and the results

Good point. I may have been a bit premature.

Nov 26, 2006, 4:52 PM

Our outstanding recruiting classes have definitely been one of the highlights of Bowden's tenure in the last few years. I only question his ability to utilize that talent in the games.

And for what it's worth, I never said we should fire Bowden. He's got a lot of young players that have all the potential in the world. I just hated to see him turn his back on Reggie yesterday, and after the disappointment of the Maryland game and the '06 season, I may have lost my cool a little bit. But I still stand by what I posted, although "ashamed" may have been a little too strong of a word.

got it***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:53 PM

Grow Up!!!***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:29 PM

To question our coaches makes me a child?***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:47 PM

I Agree with most of it!***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:47 PM

Anybody seen my violin?***

Nov 26, 2006, 4:49 PM

You can find it at the lost and found

Nov 26, 2006, 4:55 PM

Along with the Tiger team that showed up for the GT game, Bowden's accountability for the program, and our ACC Championship hopes.

Alright, that might have been a little cold and VERY pessimistic in light of my usual outlook following a loss, and my original post may have been a bit whiney, but what is it that I said that makes you disagree with me?

We don't define "expectations" in the same way

Nov 26, 2006, 5:18 PM

Going into the season, I reasonably expected to win 8 or 9 games, and that is what I got. I hoped for more, prayed for more, but expected 8 or 9.

After the GT game, sitting at 7-1 with our remaining schedule, I increased my expectation to 9 or 10 wins. I did not expect to lose to Maryland AND SC, but would not have been surprised to lose to one of them.

I am disappointed in the way this season has played out for us. There was a great opportunity for us to win the conference, win a BCS bowl, and be a player. We are not quite there yet.

Would we like a "do over" with Maryland, knowing now what we did not know then? You bet.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic