Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If William Perry had not been in the mood to play,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

If William Perry had not been in the mood to play,

Jul 30, 2011, 9:12 AM

If William Perry had not been in shape to play at the college level, if William Perry had not been motivated to give everything he had to win as a FRESHMAN, then Clemson would have never won a National Championship. He and William Devane went toe-to-toe against the best center in the history of college football, Dave Rimington, the night we won the “National Championship”. Whenever I read another story about recent players going through the motions or pretending to give a rat’s ### the first few years until their final auditions for the NFL, I actually want to throw-up. I appreciate William Perry as much as any Clemson Tiger who ever played the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If William Perry had not been in the mood to play,

Jul 30, 2011, 9:54 AM

William Perry was a special athlete,competitive in everything. I lifeguarded at Fike and would watch him dive with some of the other players(Devane included) and could outdive them all from either board,high or low. He was also good at racquetball and basketball. He wasn't a Rhodes Scholar in the classroom but on the playing field he was unstoppable. He's a super nice guy with a switch he could throw to change all that on game day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not just our players.

Jul 30, 2011, 10:11 AM

It's players all around college football. People nowadays don't want to work for anything, they want 'easy' money (or championships). They want to take as many shortcuts as possible.

I will take the walk-on who will bust his tail for this University and this team OVER the 5-star who believes he is the 'entitled' to something any day.

Re: It's not just our players.

Jul 30, 2011, 12:40 PM

Seems kind of wrong to sit behind a keyboard and question and criticize these freshmen who are probably working out and training hard as we speak. That's the problem. Most of us don't see the huge amounts of physical and mental work and preparation our players (and yes, highly touted freshmen included) put in behind the scenes to be better.

Re: It's not just our players.

Jul 30, 2011, 3:26 PM

Amen

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Of course today football is a 12 mo/yr sport

Jul 30, 2011, 10:13 AM

Back in the 80s guys didn't work out year round like they do now. There is no question that this has made players better physically. There are good and bad to everything and perhaps the negative to year round football is a dropoff in the mental side of things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i have to disagree, ncaa rules have shortened 'practice'

Jul 30, 2011, 11:54 AM

time and number of sessions; rich rod found this out @ michigan. work outs were a lot more intensive back in the day as schollies weren't limited and the ncaa wasn't looking over everyone's shoulder concerning coach's involvement 24/7, 365.

i agree training and nutrition have improved as science has taken leaps and bounds in the area, but for himself said he worked them so effing hard they looked forward to saturday. it was much 'tougher' back in the day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May be during the season but

Jul 30, 2011, 9:20 PM

during the off-season (and not in fall camp) the players didn't do the strength/conditioning work that is done today. Guys didn't used to do summer school and work out/practice without the coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fridge was a freak to move like he could at his size

Jul 30, 2011, 10:48 AM

My favorite memory of Fridge as a Tiger was when he exploded through the line on punt return coverage one time and knocked the guy blocking him back to where the punter kicked the ball into his back. Just can't remember which season or game it was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fridge was a freak to move like he could at his size

Jul 30, 2011, 11:14 AM

That was an amazing play, I remember it. Not sure who we were playing.

Jul 30, 2011, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Fridge was a freak to move like he could at his size ]

Pretty sure that it was Wake Forest in 1981. This is a great trip down memory lane, but the play was not mentioned in write up below. I remember Jim Phillips absolutely raving at the play.... Good Times!

from tigers.now

By Chris Smith STAFF WRITER

CLEMSON – The yardage was turning to mileage, the scoreboard read like an ill-matched basketball scrimmage, Clemson’s scout team was getting a crash-course in offensive sets and, to add insult to already brutal injury, Wake Forest’s mascot defected across field to help the Tiger do his final pushups.

Death Valley became the site of an unceremonious funeral Saturday – Wake Forest’s entire football team was put to rest, 82-24.

The victory took on added importance when No. 1 rated Penn State lost to Miami, Fla., 17-24, and No. 2 Pittsburgh had a rough time in a 29-24 victory over lowly regarded Boston College.

Nothing, but nothing, stood in the way of third-ranked Clemson … much less, Wake’s skeletal defense.

The Tigers, feasting lavishly upon the Deacons’ remains, amassed school yardage records of 756 total offense and 536 rushing en route to their eighth straight victory.

Seventeen records were broken and three were tied.

With another record 35 points in the second quarter, Clemson was sitting fat and happy upon a 49-14 halftime lead. Understandably, the idea that Wake’s scoring output was the highest against Clemson this season, became lost in the ridiculous ease of the Tiger’s own barrage.

Had impotency been a concern in weeks, past, this should have buried any lasting doubts. Whereas the usual course of game dissection is to pinpoint those series in which a team scored, Saturday required an opposite viewpoint.

Clemson scored touchdowns the first seven times it touched the ball. And the first non-scoring possession came with just 39 seconds remaining in the first half.

In the second half, Clemson scored on five of its seven possessions.

By the end of the long, long afternoon, eight Tigers had scored at least one touchdown. Tailback Chuck McSwain, who rushed for 90 yards on 15 attempts, led the assault with three (on runs of one, 16 and 12 yards). Fellow back Cliff Austin, the Tigers’ leading rusher with 101 yards, scored on the first two on runs of four and three yards, while split end Perry Tuttle caught touchdown passes of 75 and 25 yards.

Tuttle, incidentally, struck down another Jerry Butler record. With seven receptions for 161 yards, the senior from Winston-Salem, NC (Wake Forest’s home) boosted his career reception yardage to 2,224, breaking Butler’s old Clemson mark by one. But that, too, was simply another toss-in to the afternoon carnival.

Long after Clemson’s starters had left the field and shed helmets for caps, Wake Forest’s defense was still being manhandled by the Tiger reserves. In the fourth quarter, for instance, sophomore tailback Duke Holloman gained 59 yards and scored a touchdown. And freshman fullback Craig Crawford broke loose for a 72-yard touchdown run. Prior to Saturday, Holloman had two carries and four yards, and Crawford had yet to appear.

Accusations of savagery are sure to flow. However, it mattered little whether the first or fifth unit was in; Wake Forest’s defense was flattened by all.

Even Wake Forest Coach Al Groh stated afterward, “It was our job to stop them, not their job to stop themselves. I thought they were more than gracious.”

But Clemson certainly cannot be accused of being gracious to a fault.

From the beginning, when a Dan Benish fumble recovery set up a 50-yard touchdown drive, the Tigers physically whipped the Deacons. Clemson’s running backs spent the entire afternoon seeing how many tacklers they could shed. The winners had to be Austin and fullbacks Kevin Mack and Jeff McCall. Short-yardage plays quickly became 10-yard gains, and usually tight situations became easy first downs. In fact, Clemson converted all 12 of its third-down situations – most likely another school record.

“They were just trying to arm-tackle, so we just stood low and broke the tackles,” Austin explained.

Others running for touchdowns were quarterback Homer Jordan (a seven-yard run), Mack (10 yards) and McCall (24 yards).

Passing, meanwhile, was just as effective. But, obviously, it became a less crucial phase of Clemson’s offense as the afternoon wore on. Jordan completed eight of 14 passes for 180 yards, while reserve Mike Gasque hit three of four for 40 yards. The only blemish was the interception Austin threw on halfback pass early in the third quarter.

Both Jordan and Gasque connected with Tuttle for touchdowns – Jordan hit Tuttle for the 75-yarder on the first series of the second half, while Gasque lobbed a perfect 25-yard strike to Tuttle later in the third period.

And, despite running 87 plays, the offense’s only turnover was the interception.

Though the first-string defense may have allowed 17 points, it did create three turnovers, which lead to Clemson touchdowns. Wake’s passing offense, engineered by sophomore quarterback Gary Schofield, did gain 263 yards through the air, but was held to just 88 on the ground.

All in all, as well as being an absolute rout, the victory was simply a reflection of good, sound football. It was especially pleasing after last week’s five-turnover performance against North Carolina State, and with the showdown at North Carolina coming next Saturday. The Tar Heels remained unbeaten in the conference and tied with Clemson for first place after beating Maryland 17-10.

“After last week, we concentrated on execution,” Austin said. “We knew we couldn’t make the mistakes we did last week. Today does a lot for next week.”

Summary

CLEMSON – 10:40 left, first quarter. Cliff Austin scores touchdown on four-yard fun. Drive set up by Dan Benish’s fumble recovery at midfield. Took seven plays, key one being Austin’s 23-yard run to 15-yard line. Bob Paulling adds conversion. Clemson 7, Wake Forest 0.

CLEMSON – 6:13 left, first quarter. Austin scores on three-yard run, capping 49-yard, eight-play drive. Key plays were Austin’s 13-yard run to Wake 34 and 12-yard pass from Homer Jordan to Perry Tuttle at three-yard line. Paulling adds conversion. Clemson 14, Wake Forest 0.

WAKE FOREST – 3:06 left, first quarter. Kenny Duckett catches 17-yard touchdown pass from Gary Schofield. Drive lasted 76 yards, nine plays. Key plays were 15-yard pass to Tim Ryan at Clemson 44. Phil Denfeld adds conversion. Clemson 14, Wake Forest 7.

CLEMSON – 14:58 left, second quarter. Tailback Chuck McSwain scores on one-yard plunge. Drive covered 52 yards in eight plays. Jordan hit Frank Magwood with 20-yard pass to Wake 32, hit Magwood with 19-yard pass to 16 and McSwain ran 13 yards to three-yard line. Paulling adds conversion. Clemson 21, Wake Forest 7.

CLEMSON – 8:12 left, second quarter. Fullback Kevin Mack runs 10 yards for touchdown, capping 86-yard, 11-play drive. McSwain opened with 13-yard fun to Clemson 27, caught 10-yard pass at Clemson 48, Mack ran 13 to Wake 39 and Jordan ran 10 yards to 27. Paulling adds conversion. Clemson 28, Wake Forest 7.

CLEMSON – 6:07 left, second quarter. Jordan runs seven yards for touchdown, capping 59-yard drive on fifth play. Key plays were 34-yard Jordan-to-Tuttle pass to Wake 25 and 17-yard run by fullback Jeff McCall to eight-yard line. Paulling adds conversion. Clemson 35, Wake Forest, 7.

CLEMSON – 5:40 left, second quarter. McCall breaks loose for 24-yard touchdown run. Drive was two plays for 24 yards set up by Jeff Davis fumble recovery. Paulling adds conversion. Clemson 42, Wake Forest 7.

CLEMSON – 3:23 left, second quarter. McSwain runs 16 yards off tackle for touchdown on 35-yard, four-play drive. Set up by Terry Kinard’s interception. McCall ran 11 yards to 16-yard line. Paulling adds conversion. Clemson 49, Wake Forest 7.

WAKE FOREST – :39 left, second quarter. Carlos Cunningham scores touchdown from yard out. Drive was 57 yards and nine plays. Cunningham gained 12 yards to Clemson 43. David Webber passed 22 yards to Duckett at 20, and Cunningham ran 34 yards to one-yard line on fourth-and-five. Denfeld adds conversion. Clemson 49, Wake Forest 14.

CLEMSON – 14:42 left, third quarter. Jordan hits Tuttle with 75-yard touchdown pass. Drive was on play, 75 yards. Lockie Brown misses conversion. Clemson 55, Wake Forest 14.

WAKE FOREST – 9:32 left, third quarter. Denfeld kicks 22-yard field goal. Drive set up by Henderson Threatt’s interception at Wake 40. Drive covered 55 yards, 11 plays. Clemson 55, Wake Forest 17.

CLEMSON – 5:16 left, third quarter. Mike Gasque hits Tuttle with 25-yard touchdown pass. Drive covered 80 yards, 10 plays. Key plays were 14-yard run by Austin to Clemson 36, 10-yard pass from Gasque to Bubba Diggs at Wake 45 and Austin’s 16-yard run to 29. Brown adds conversion. Clemson 62, Wake Forest 17.

CLEMSON – 4:16 left, third quarter. McSwain runs 12 yards around right end for touchdown. Two-play, 29-yard drive set up by Jeff Davis’ interception. Brown adds extra point. Clemson 69, Wake Forest 17.

CLEMSON – 10:08 left, fourth quarter. Tailback Duke Holloman runs three yards for touchdown, capping 80-yard drive on 13th play. Key plays were 12-yard Holloman run to Clemson 38 and 10-yard Holloman run to Wake eight-yard line. Brown kicks conversion. Clemson 76, Wake Forest 17.

CLEMSON – 5:40 left, fourth quarter. Fullback Craig Crawford runs 72 yards for touchdown. Drive covered 87 yards on five plays. Brown misses conversion. Clemson 82, Wake Forest 17.

WAKE FOREST – 2:59 left, fourth quarter. Duckett catches five-yard touchdown pass from Schofield, climaxing 80-yard march of eight plays. Keys were 14-yard pass from Schofield to Tommy Gregg at Wake 34, 15-yard personal foul against Clemson 30, and 13-yard fun by Schofield to seven. Denfeld adds conversion. Clemson 82, Wake Forest 24.

Individual Leaders

RUSHING – Wake Forest: Owen 9-40, Cunningham 9-48; Clemson: McSwain 15-90, Austin 13-101.

PASSING – Wake Forest: Schofield 20-35-229; Clemson: Jordan 8-14-180.

RECEIVING – Wake Forest: Denfeld 12-115; Clemson: Tuttle 7-161.

vs WFU in '83...***

Jul 30, 2011, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Fridge was a freak to move like he could at his size ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2011, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Fridge was a freak to move like he could at his size ]

I saw him dunk a basketball outside of Harcombe. A couple of steps, jump and he pushed it over the rim. I also saw him jump flatfooted up on top of the rock retaining wall outside of Harcombe - not sure the height, probably around 30" - he could leap up there like a cat. Doesn't sound impressive unless you actually saw his size up close.

My favorite play - Fridge met Herschel Walker in an open field tackle and picked him up off the ground to try a body slam. Herschel kicked loose when Fridge put him back down (bad tackle) but it was an awesome show of force against force. Walker could run through most anyone in the open.

Re:We had a backup for those two that was not back. I

Jul 30, 2011, 11:10 AM

think Fox was has name.

Jul 30, 2011, 11:18 AM

I was there on the 40 about ten rows off the field which was probably a little too low at the Orange Bowl (had to stand most of the game). One big advantage was we were directly behind the benches for the DL/LBs. I was calling them out by name the whole game and several times guys turned to look up in the stands. Needless to say, I had the worst case of laryngitis ever. There was a young lady in front of me who turned around and told me that she was from Miami and she came to the game every year no matter who was playing. Then she said, "But from now on I'm a Clemson fan!". Back to your post. There was a Nebraska guy behind me with a radio and he made the statement that according to sideline reports, Rimington came off the field and told the coaches he needed some help. Steinkuhler was the guard and even with the doubling they couldn't stop Perry and Devane, not to mention the 2 or 3 holding calls. That's 3 years running worth of Outland trophy winners that got 'stuffed'. Perry was instrumental in that NC year as a freshman and in a Super Bowl for Chicago as a rookie. I can't think of any college freshman/ NFL rookie who had more of an impact. I'm sure some may disagree, so I'd love to hear the names.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2011, 3:33 PM

You will find no disagreement here. One of my favorite players of all time.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Actually, Perry had a reputation

Jul 30, 2011, 6:01 PM

not being in the greatest shape, or having a great work ethic. As Ford once said, Michael Dean Perry had a better work ethic because he was not as talented as William. According to Ford, the Fridge was "sent down by aliens or something." He could move like a gazelle despite being overweight. When he went to the NFL Coach Ditka railed against the Clemson coaching staff for letting Perry play with his weight in the upper 300's. (However, by the time he finished his first season at Chicago he was over 400). One Clemson coach responded that no two men on the team could keep Perry from a Pizza if that is what he wanted. As I recall he was famous for eating 14 Big Macs at one sitting at McDonalds while at Clemson.

99% of current players work harder than

Jul 30, 2011, 6:13 PM

the Fridge did.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 99% of current players work harder than

Jul 30, 2011, 10:27 PM

BUT 99% of the current players don't have his stats, either.
I watched him just stick out his arm straight to his side, and it was like the NC State running back hit a brick wall, as he came through the line. The running back fell backwards. That was 1983.
Thank you, William Perry (and Michael) for the accolades, and good times, you brought Clemson. I certainly enjoyed following your career. I wish you wellness!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 99% of current players work harder than

Jul 31, 2011, 10:53 AM

I remember him putting one of his teammates out of the game when his paw hit him on the way to making a tackle, It was with the Bears.
When he spiked the quarterback, can't remember which one I think he scared himself, He never seemed to play with the same enthusiasm again.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

WRONG AS WRONG GETS.

Jul 31, 2011, 12:25 AM [ in reply to 99% of current players work harder than ]

You do not know what you are talking about. I was there and I saw it. Our practice today is nothing compared to what it was in the early 80s.

I'm not talking about practice (practice!?!?). I'm talking

Jul 31, 2011, 8:42 AM

about working hard as a player in the weight room, mat drills, the off-seaons, etc.

I think I'm right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But in their own words, they keep admitting being lazy until

Jul 31, 2011, 10:33 AM

some sort of light comes on their senior year. I'm not making this stuff up. By the way, I'm not talking about everybody --- Just the ones who were supposed to be so dominating but have these ludicrous comments to make 3-4 years into their "commitment".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're probably right but you just picked the wrong

Jul 31, 2011, 10:58 AM

example of hard work ethic when you picked the Fridge.

good they went against a back-up qb too***

Jul 30, 2011, 10:34 PM

He kept it closer than your starting QB could...***

Jul 31, 2011, 12:56 AM

The Fridge is my favorite all time tiger.***

Jul 31, 2011, 9:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic