Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After reading Pitts' post below, it's time to return.(long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,451

After reading Pitts' post below, it's time to return.(long)

Feb 8, 2005, 10:57 AM

I have no idea who Trey Reeves is, except that which I've learned of him on this site. I know he was a personality on WCCP's morning sports show. I listen to a show like that in Charlotte, so I probably have some idea the way many of you felt like you could relate to him.

The extremely tragic death of Mr. Reeves, though I have no idea who he was or what he was like, has had a pretty profound affect on me. It has really caused me to think. Pitts' message also really hit home with me about how hard things must be for some people, when the rest of us have absolutely no idea what they might be going through.

On these websites we have so much anonymity. We can just say anything we want about anyone we want, and many times there isn't a shred of truth to it. Kids that are currently in one of the most impressionable and vulnerable times of their lives read these boards (or at the very least know someone who reads these boards).

We discuss things about 17 and 18 year old kids in a very public forum that most of us never had to endure... grades, personality, homelife, girlfriends, etc. Often we go a step farther even. We don't just discuss these things (that we only have sixth, seventh, eighth hand knowledge); we often judge, ridicule, and try to embarrass kids for their grades, homelife, etc. Why would we do that?? Why does anonymity on a webpage make some people feel like they can try to tear kids down just because they don't go to our school?

We don't really know what people are going through. We hear all the time how stressful the recruiting process is on these young people. They consistently talk about the relief they feel when finally making a decision.

I'm not perfect by any stretch. And I will be far from perfect in the future. But I will try to think about the implications of what I say... even if i know no one knows who I am.

We just don't know what we think we know in most situations. The people closest to Trey Reeves probably thought they knew everything in his life. I pray for his family. I hope God gives them the strength to get through this. He can, and I'm sure He will.

If there is anyone out there that needs to talk to someone, please do. No one has to go through problems by themself. Hell.. get in touch with me. I'll listen.

I know this is sappy. But I don't care. I just keep thinking back to Pitts' message. How sad it is when someone feels like death is the only way out. We just never know what anyone is going through.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

No... that was nicely said.***

Feb 8, 2005, 11:02 AM

Football

...Training for the rest of your life.

Toogie... well said and welcome back. You have been missed.***

Feb 8, 2005, 11:04 AM

I am a bitter and angry man.

very nice***

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, Toogie. And not sappy. Well thought and said.***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Welcome back Toogie!!******

Feb 8, 2005, 11:05 AM

after all, showing such gross ignorance of another human being simply because of the institution where he or she received his or her degree ranks among the same ignorance of judging a person by the color of hisor skin, judging him or her by nationality, or judging the person by his or her economic upbringing.

while it's certainly honorable to be proud of your alma mater, it's naive and childish to think that every person of another school is "redneck" or "stupid" or "white trash."
- catahoula

Nicely done !!!!***

Feb 8, 2005, 11:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Long time no see, welcome back***

Feb 8, 2005, 11:11 AM

Thanks, Toogie, for a class post.***

Feb 8, 2005, 11:15 AM

great post toogie well said!***

Feb 8, 2005, 11:15 AM

WHO VOTES THIS DOWN

Feb 8, 2005, 11:16 AM

Have you no heart??

Is it just b/c a coot wrote this? That is ridiculous.

Anyone that votes this down should be ashamed of themselves. This is a mans life we are remembering.

You are a child and have a lot of growing up to do.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WHO VOTES THIS DOWN

Feb 8, 2005, 11:22 AM

goes back to anonyminity. they are cowards, except behind a computer.

I agree, but I have a question

Feb 8, 2005, 5:24 PM [ in reply to WHO VOTES THIS DOWN ]

Has anyone out there ever thumbed down a post when you meant to give it the thumbs up? I know I have, especially after I've had an adult beverage or two and am in the height of game, postgame, or recruiting frenzy. It's just easy to pay too little attention and let that little cartoon finger drift to the right as you click.

If I could give Crump and B-Meist a piece of advice for any future redesign, it would be to move those thumbs a little farther apart in consideration of clumsy clods like me!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Its so easy to forget just how human we all are

Feb 8, 2005, 11:17 AM

We listen to the radio and begin to create a character in our heads. We see the voice as a happy (or beligerent, or smart, or whatever it is they are trying to be) thing. It becomes not a person on the other side of the radio but a thing. And a thing there for our amusement. Same with the folks on here (and on message boards in genereal, even FGF). The handles become characters. We see snide ones, wise ones, funny ones, argumenative ones, critical ones, dumb ones, and everywhere else in between. We see a handle and think of it as a thing, and not a person.

Then something like this happens.

Granted, I don't listen to that radio show or know much about its hosts, but like Toogie I have a similar radio show that has become part of my life and I've made things of those hosts. So much so that when I see their pictures ( either on a web page or in print) its actually a bit shocking to see their human face and not the one I'd imagined. Same with posters here. On occasion when I look at someones profile and see their picture I'm often ripped back to remembering that its a person on the other end of that keyboard.

All of this was to say this: In real like I imagine that 99.9% of the people here and on the radio and elsewhere are just normal folks who if I were given the opprtunity to, I'd enjoy sitting down and talking to. Even the vast majority of folks on FGF who we ejoy joking with and about are just normal folk (with an unfortunate loyalty to USC). In the end it takes moments like this for me to remember just how human we all are, and how similar we are.

In the end, I echo Toogie's sentiment, if anyone at any time needs to talk about anything I'm here. not to sound corny or cheesy, but no one should ever have to feel alone. Technology, for all its good points, has somehow given us the impression that though we are able to interract in so many different ways with so many different people it all comes across as impersonalizing and making us (at times) feel alone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After reading Pitts' post below, it's time to return.(long)

Feb 8, 2005, 5:36 PM

Great post Toogie. It absolutely breaks my heart when folks feel that there is no one to talk to. I can only imagine the pain Trey's family and friends are feeling right now. Thanks for the classy post.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,451
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic