Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Miami should be weary
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Why Miami should be weary

Oct 22, 2009, 12:58 PM

Why U should fear Clemson

The Clemson Tigers don't have a shiny BCS ranking, a sparkling record or even a road win yet this season. But here's why the Tigers (3-3, 2-2 ACC) could end up derailing the 10th-ranked Canes (5-1, 2-1) when they resume ACC play this Saturday at 3:30 at Land Shark Stadium:

In a nutshell, Clemson has a pair of home run threats on offense and special teams in running back CJ Spiller and receiver Jacoby Ford. And their defense is much better than advertised.

CJ Spiller > Clemson has given up 92 points in six games – a 15.5 points per game average that ranks 17th in the nation and second fewest in the ACC. But those stats are a little misleading. Clemson's offense and special teams have given up six touchdowns. Take away those 36 points and the defense is really only giving up 11.3 points per game. Only the No. 1-ranked Gators, Penn State and Oklahoma are stingier on defense.

> The Tigers secondary ranks seventh in pass defense (yards allowed), 17th in pass efficiency defense and is littered with theives. Defensive backs Chris Chancellor, Crezdon Butler and DeAndre McDaniel have a combined 27 career interceptions and rank in the top 6 among active career leaders in the ACC. Both on the Chancellor and Butler are on the Thorpe Award Watch list with nine and 10 career interceptions respectively. McDaniel leads the nation in interceptions with five.The Tigers held Georgia Tech and Boston College to under 30 percent completion percentage in consecutive games.

> C.J. Spiller and Jacoby Ford are the top kick return duo in the nation. They have a combined nine returns for scores. Spiller has 17 career touchdowns of 50 yards or more and Ford has eight. "This week we have to focus on the fundamentals, have fun, do our job and stop him," defensive tackle Joe Joseph said of Spiller. "He’s a very explosive running back, fast, world class speed. He’s a real good talent. We have to get there, gang tackle him and wrap up and swarm to the ball."

This isn't to say the Tigers don't have their faults. Offensively, beyond Spiller and Ford, there hasn't been much consistency. But consider the Canes well aware of what the Tigers do well and ready and focused for Saturday.

> FIRST DOWN IMPORTANT FOR CANES: UM coach Randy Shannon said avoiding third and long situations against the Tigers will be of vital importance. "When you watch them on film, they cause havoc. They can get you in third and long. First down is going to be very big for us. We have to control our penalties. Those are the biggest things we have to get done. In second and six we can't have a holding, a false start. We have to be sound and secure in doing the things we need to get done."

> PREPARING FOR SAPP, BOWERS: A big part of staying out of third and long will be avoiding the pressure created by end Rick Sapp and Da'Quan Bowers. Last week, UM quarterback Jacory Harris was sacked six times by UCF. Harris compared Sapp and Bowers to Jason Worilds of Virginia Tech, who terrorized right tackle Matt Pipho in UM's 31-7 loss to the Hokies.

"I think their front seven is just like Oklahoma's front seven," guard Orlando Franklin said Tuesday. "There’s not a guy you can single out and pick on. Going into games, you try to assess people and see where the weaknesses are. Some people have good d-tackles and not so good d-ends. But their front seven is pretty good and like I said they’re two deep at it. We have to continue doing what we do and play assignment football."

> MORE ROLLOUTS?: Just because you saw Harris rollout against UCF to avoid blitzes and pass pressure, don't assume that's going to be UM's game plan the rest of the season. Harris said it was something specific to what the Knights were doing. "I like doing it," Harris said. "But that’s something that fit with UCF. They were sending blitzes from outside, knife it in, so we'd get outside of them. It would give you time to set up and throw the ball."

> MAN TO MAN COVERAGE: One thing Harris and his receivers are looking forward to aside from facing one of the nation's top pass defenses is the man-to-man coverage the Tigers employ.UM hasn't seen that since it faced Florida State in the opener.

"They have faith in their secondary," Harris said. "They're going to play man, and say `You beat us,' I guess they believe in their front seven, and their front seven is really good. Last week they put a lot of pressure on Riley Skinner [of Wake Forest]. And that was the main in focus in their win. We have to take care of their front. I think we have talented enough wide receivers to go against their corners man to man.”

Leonard Hankerson is confident he and his unit will win out: "Personally, I don’t think anybody can play us man."

Frankling agrees: "I really don’t think any team could play man against us because of the type of routes Coach Whipple has brought in and the type of guys we got," Franklin. "It's real hard to backpedal against someone who runs 4.3 and has as good hands like Leonard has. It’s going to make it real hard."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Today they should be wary.

Oct 22, 2009, 1:09 PM

Saturday about 6:30 they'll be weary.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

word***

Oct 22, 2009, 1:15 PM

Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on....

Oct 22, 2009, 1:18 PM

take off the orange glasses.
I do not think we stand a chance against Miami's Offense or Defense. Ask the sooners, with all their fire-power in offense, they could not beat them. Our offense is not even close to Stoop's.

Dude.... give it up... you and your misery are done here***

Oct 22, 2009, 1:25 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, we have a shot, we always have a shot. Oklahoma isn't

Oct 22, 2009, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

a good team, they need to stop using the excuse that Bradford is hurt and kick them out of the rankings once and for all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

but, but, but, Walt says they're great.. say it aint so...***

Oct 22, 2009, 1:27 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how sure are you? this sure?

Oct 22, 2009, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

http://www.thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=8139651#8139651

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's hope he's right again.***

Oct 22, 2009, 1:36 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

:-)***

Oct 22, 2009, 1:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully he is considerably more sure than that,

Oct 22, 2009, 3:27 PM [ in reply to how sure are you? this sure? ]

Since the outcome of that game did not match up with his predetermined assessment of our coaching staff.

OK has 2 freshmen and 1 sophomore starting on the oline.

Oct 22, 2009, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

That's why their all world quarterback got hurt, not once, but twice, and didn't play in the Miami game. That's probably why they are 3-3 with wins over Iowa State, Tulsa and Baylor.

Here ya go, buddy...on me:

Oct 22, 2009, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

seriously...just get it over with.

Personally, I don't think so, but.................

Oct 22, 2009, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

I never know what to expect out of Clemson from week to week for quite a few years now. I feel like I've been on this very uncomfortable roller coaster ride and its time that it stopped being that way. I THINK, that Miami will carve us up like a Thanksgiving turkey. If we don't get pressure, and lots of it, game over. At the same time, we've got to worry about their excellent rb's. Is this going to be the BC/WF Clemson or the GT/UMD Clemson? I'm hoping for the best......but honestly, expecting the worse. I hope to be wrong!

Your post history tells me that you should really find

Oct 22, 2009, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

another team to be a fan of.

GO TIGERS!!

Something tells me he already is and has been all along***

Oct 22, 2009, 1:56 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^Clemson's Corso..........MARK IT DOWN!!!!^^^^^

Oct 22, 2009, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

WE WIN SATURDAY!

Did anyone think we'd beat them in 2004?

Oct 22, 2009, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Do you relly think Clemson will beat Miami?...come on.... ]

I rest my case.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic