Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We did some things well. We need to work on other things.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,042

We did some things well. We need to work on other things.

Sep 6, 2009, 3:51 PM

Where "we" = "the team", because I thought I really did pretty well as a fan this weekend.

As usual, I can't figure out the folks that like to post that the sky is falling and that we made a bad hire. Y'all go home and jab an ice pick into your hands or something. Then you'll get to wallow in pain and self-pity, and you won't be able to type which spares us from more of the same.

We won 37-14 over a pretty decent football team. Would we have been OK with this score over a Duke or a Virginia? Sure. Got news for you folks, this team was better than Duke or Virginia. And possibly Maryland. WAY better than South Carolina. :)

No CJ for 3/4 of the game. Jacoby Ford dropping balls Xavier Dye dropping a ball. A silly slip and fumble for a TD for MTSU. A couple of missed FGs. A pass so overthrown it looked like it was launched by the supercollider thingy. All of these things are correctable, and in my mind are reasons to open your season with an MTSU (or Duke, or Virginia, or South Carolina).

I also can't imagine we came close to showing our entire offensive package, and certainly not our defensive package either.

Those are all pretty good things in my mind.

I still have concerns about our ability to run block. I don't know what the OL is going to be able to do for us this year. I didn't see much from them that was overly encouraging in the short yardage situations. Certainly it won't get any easier against GT or the rest, so I hope we get some improvement there.

I enjoyed what I saw from Parker. I thought he had a lot of "pocket presence" and "poise" (whatever all that means) - especially from a freshman. I thought our defense was nasty. I thought our punter was great. I thought our kick coverage was equally nasty. I don't know who #2 was that kept having to return those kicks, but I bet he's going to be spending all week with the trainers.

I don't know if our defense is going to be any better under Steele than it was under VK (because unlike some of you, I don't know EVERYTHING), but I can tell you that I found it more enjoyable to watch. Hit, hit, hit. Need to hit some more (and need to know when to go for the INT and when to make the tackle).

For a first game with new key players and a new coaching staff against a decent opponent....I'll take the win. And hell, we covered a 19.5 point spread.

GT is going to give us problems. Like everyone else they play this year. It seemed to me we played good assignment defense yesterday. We'll scrap this dime crap against GT, and we'll see some players on the field that didn't play against MTSU. If the defense can keep to their assignments and make the right reads, we really can walk out of GT with a win.

I mean, it's not like they beat Jacksonville St by 50, so they must suck. Maybe they should have hired Butch Davis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We did some things well. We need to work on other things.

Sep 6, 2009, 3:58 PM

I had to work yesterday and I have been searching the board since last night to get a feel for what we actually looked like and this was the most fair and informative post yet.

I am REAL corncerned with the report that we couldn't punch it in from the 2 and that we couldn't convert 3rd downs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hilarious. Well played.***

Sep 6, 2009, 4:00 PM

Im watching the game right now

Sep 6, 2009, 4:04 PM

and the defense looked stout for the first half after the first 2 plays. Offense showed glimpses of looking pretty good.

I would encourage everybody to watch the replay on ESPN 360. Things looked pretty good during the first half with our 1st team players

Time Warner sucks...***

Sep 6, 2009, 4:34 PM

Sep 6, 2009, 4:43 PM

HAHA I'm loving it. I think thats a great analysis, esp. the ice pick part. I think we looked ok as well, a lot better that last year. I think that the drops will disappear as the nerves calm down.

Sep 6, 2009, 5:36 PM

I agree!Nice post!

Re: We did some things well. We need to work on other thing

Sep 6, 2009, 5:49 PM

A good assessment overall. I'll take the win considering the amount of ? marks we had coming into fall camp.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,042
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic