Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Clemson plays on Sunday, I will be in church, not using
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

If Clemson plays on Sunday, I will be in church, not using

Jan 7, 2005, 1:32 PM

my four tickets. My father in law will not be attending, four more tickets. The guy that has 6 beside me will not be there either. So you will have quite a large area of empty seats. The question you will ask is can you buy our tickets. The answer is NO.

The point will be empty seats.

I will not change my beliefs just to get more money or for more exposure. Yes, I may not go to hell for attending a football game on Sunday. But that does not make it right for me to attend. People compain about, the costs of this, the cost of that, we need all the money we can get. Well what is the cost of someone going to hell because of your decision. What if that Sunday, I did not attend chuch. I teach a youth class. What if a youth that attends that Sunday needs to hear the word of God, and needs hope and assurace that someone cares about them. You may say that these are all what if's and you can what if something to death. Yes you can. But, I made a commitment to teach the kids. I made that comittment to God. If I break that commitment, what type of person does that make me? I love Clemson, but I love God more. I think these will all be mute points when TDP makes his decission...but, WHAT IF?? These are just my personel beliefs. I do not try the condem or condone what anyone may decide in their life. They are the ones who must deal with their decision. Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with you***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:33 PM

We have Sunday basketball games....

Jan 7, 2005, 1:35 PM

Baseball, soccer, etc, etc...

yes we do. I do not attend them either.***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:37 PM

Can I HAVE your tickets?***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That made me laugh***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:52 PM

Opening day...Texas A&M...folks will be there. And if you

Jan 7, 2005, 1:36 PM

can't go, sell your tickets and let somebody else go.

This whole idea that you can't have a football game one Sunday a year at 1:30 in the afternoon is silly.

People miss church sometimes to go on vacations, NFL games, traveling to see relatives, etc. etc. etc.

Missing church one day to go to a football game ain't gonna send you to hell.

Get over it....or sell your tix.

“They are so gracious. You go to Philadelphia and a team’s playing poorly, they don’t leave. They stay and let you have it. Here at South Carolina they get up and file out.”

Former UCS AD Mike McGee on Gamecock Fans

Heck, my pastor even misses church several times a year

Jan 7, 2005, 1:37 PM

to go on vacation.

A Clemson football game is a vacation to some, right?

Re: Heck, my pastor even misses church several times a year

Jan 7, 2005, 1:38 PM

But, when he goes on vacation, does he not attend chuch in the area he is in? My preacher does. The point was not missing just your church, but church in general.

Hold a mini-service at your tailgate site for goodness sakes

Jan 7, 2005, 1:42 PM

God is not going to condemn you for missing church one day!

Have you ever missed a Sunday at church in your lifetime before?

“They are so gracious. You go to Philadelphia and a team’s playing poorly, they don’t leave. They stay and let you have it. Here at South Carolina they get up and file out.”

It is his choice. No need to peer pressure him into not

Jan 7, 2005, 1:43 PM

going to church.

We all have beliefs that are different from one another.

And there is no need for him to peer pressure Clemson or me

Jan 7, 2005, 1:51 PM

into having and supporting a game on that Sunday. That street goes both ways.

If you don't believe in attending a football game on Sunday, don't go. But don't come on here and call Clemson threatening not to go in hopes they will not have the game on Sunday.

Stick you your beliefs...and let others stick to theirs.

I agree and I thought he wasn't pressuring, just giving his

Jan 7, 2005, 1:53 PM

opinion. That is, until I read some of his responses, some of them sounding like he was looking down upon others.

the " more holy than thou" attitude will get him to hadies

Jan 7, 2005, 3:06 PM

faster than just missing i church service God really frowns on people who think like that

Those seats will not be empty, people will slide into them..

Jan 7, 2005, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Hold a mini-service at your tailgate site for goodness sakes ]

so they can have better seats or sit next to all of their friends in one spot. Your campaign has failed.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Heck, my pastor even misses church several times a year ]

The physical act of going to church does not a christian

Jan 7, 2005, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Heck, my pastor even misses church several times a year ]

make.

I thought that worship could take place outside of church...

Jan 7, 2005, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Heck, my pastor even misses church several times a year ]

What was I thinking?

Go Tigers

the fist game of the year is our family vacation lol***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Heck, my pastor even misses church several times a year ]

Re: Opening day...Texas A&M...folks will be there. And if y

Jan 7, 2005, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Opening day...Texas A&M...folks will be there. And if you ]

"Get over it....or sell your tix. "

I don't need to reply to this..I think you said it with your statement. Hoep everthing works out with you.

I will respect the Lord in my own way that Sunday...but I

Jan 7, 2005, 1:49 PM

won't get on here and say that we should not play a football game on Sunday because that is being hypocritical.

I rarely miss church. But God is not going to judge me in a negative way if I am not in chruch one day. It's not attending church that saves your soul...it's your beliefs, actions, and faith that do.

Re: Opening day...Texas A&M...folks will be there. And if y***

Jan 7, 2005, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Opening day...Texas A&M...folks will be there. And if y ]

I'll be there. :o)***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we can move to his seats if they are better than ours***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:57 PM

Where was this outcry for Tiger Baseball, Golf and Soccer?***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:39 PM

Re: If Clemson plays on Sunday, I will be in church, not usi

Jan 7, 2005, 1:40 PM

My opinion on this is that, church comes before a football game, however if Im not correct the discussion of sundays and what they are used for is discussed throughout the Bible by multiple sources from Jesus to Pharisees to other people.....comes down to it, that it was created for man to enjoy....if that means going to early church or night church to go to the game, then do it...doesnt mean the University has its priorities out of whack, and believe me they know that the alumni on a whole seem like people that are church goers (I could be wrong, just a sterotype of the Clemson Family) If you dont wanna go because you have a 11:00pm church service, then dont go....

However, people dont need to look at the situation where its evil vs good in the process of why and when we play games...

God's word is going to get out with or without a game on Saturday....

Just opinion...For me, I'll probably be at the game enjoying it, not worrying about missing church, cause I dont think God treats church absentences with much disdain....sorry my thoughts

There goes Pro football down the tubes!***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:58 PM

People will be there....

Jan 7, 2005, 1:40 PM

Trust me, You won't go to hell for missing one day of church.

That was ONE of the points.***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:43 PM

I pray more at a Clemson football game than I do in church.***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:42 PM

Funniest post all day!***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:47 PM

That's the greatest ####### post ever. So true.***

Jan 7, 2005, 1:54 PM [ in reply to I pray more at a Clemson football game than I do in church.*** ]

LOL. When Aaron Hunt had that kick against USC in 2000 I

Jan 7, 2005, 1:58 PM [ in reply to I pray more at a Clemson football game than I do in church.*** ]

was on my knees begging before the kick.

Sad, but true!

you got that right***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:53 PM [ in reply to I pray more at a Clemson football game than I do in church.*** ]

You make more sense than the Pharisees!! Truth will

Jan 7, 2005, 3:14 PM [ in reply to I pray more at a Clemson football game than I do in church.*** ]

prevail, Tiger!! Those dudes in church will be thinking more about Clemson than they will be praying, IMO!!

What about 7th Day Adventist?Don't they go to

Jan 7, 2005, 1:45 PM

church on Saturday?Should we not have Saturday games because of that?Yes, there are not that many so the effect is not the same as on Sunday but if you look at it from that stand point then the decision is being based on economical reasons,not on beliefs.

Don't forget our Jewish Brethen!!***

Jan 7, 2005, 3:15 PM

Give it a rest!!!!!!! They haven't even decided to do it yet

Jan 7, 2005, 1:46 PM

People, God comes before Clemson. We know that. They haven't even changed the day yet and ya'll act like it is a done deal. The board is like grand central for
over reacting. If you don't want to go, don't go. Nobody cares, including God. God loves you no matter what you do, right? I don't care if you don't go. Do what you darn well please. Just get off your stinkin' soapbox and trying to make yourself look all holy and almightier than thou.

null

It's your decision...do what you want...I'll be at the game****

Jan 7, 2005, 1:48 PM

ill be there with you and by God's grace ill still be saved***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:52 PM

The Lord doesn't punish folk for supporting Clemson!!***

Jan 7, 2005, 3:16 PM

okay, don't go...but why try to punish those who want to

Jan 7, 2005, 1:49 PM

go to the game and would like your tickets? Maybe they go to Church in Greenville and then ride over, or go in Anderson, Pickens, etc.

I get your point, I go to church most Sundays, but I have no problem with activities after church.

Your point is well taken, but the issue of the tickets is nothing but spiteful.

Why not sale the tickets and donate to church?

Jan 7, 2005, 1:51 PM

Good to see a person stand up to their convictions...nothing wrong with that, but don't let an opportunity pass you by by not making a little money for your congretation.

I applaud your devotion, but not the decision

...and here's why:

1. Your choice to stay away from the game to protest playing on Sunday on religious grounds falls into the category of specious, since there has been no outcry over other athletic events taking place on Sunday. By not protesting them, you lose the moral high ground you wish to cudgle the athletic department with.

2. Your notion that if you aren't there for that youth on that given time limits the power of the Almighty. Can you truly believe that God is so limited in his ability to reach people that he wouldn't allow you to attend a football game? I've gotta believe the Almighty has a little more clout that that.

Or how about this: what if someone you meet at the game on Sunday needs to hear the word, but you aren't there because you stubbornly think denying yourself the game someone creates favor in the eyes of God? What if that person doesn't receive the comfort of insight you could provide and which God himself went to the trouble of moving this game to Sunday JUST so you'd be there to provide it? Won't you feel silly at the gates of glory trying to explain your refusal to serve to St. Peter?

3. If you have a commitment on Sunday, honor it. It's that simple. But please don't try to use your honoarble choice as a cudgle against those who are not so encumbered.

Why would you not sell (or give to the needy) the tickets you cannot use? The only reason is you wish to make a statement of your displeasure with the Sunday setting, which is a far cry from being unable to attend due to commitment.

Search your heart and do what God says is right. As it stands you have several months to make arrangements to serve God and enjoy the game. If you ask god for a way to do bothy, I promise he can provide it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!!***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:10 PM

Since you didn't go to Clemson you just wouldn't understand***

I commend you for doing what you

Jan 7, 2005, 1:54 PM

believe is right. But not either not selling your tickets or giving them to someone to prove a point sounds like revenge driven. Just seems like an un-christian attitude.

My church offers an early service at 8:30. You are welcome

Jan 7, 2005, 1:54 PM

to join us that Sunday and still make the game. I don't believe attending a sporting event on a Sunday is a compromise of one's faith. Most churches offer several opportunities for worship on Sunday mornings and I don't think your church would be any different. I'm a committed Christian as well, and I feel like your post may be reaching a bit. If the game is on Sunday, I will attend church that morning and still make the game that afternoon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your seats will not be empty, people will slide into them

Jan 7, 2005, 1:55 PM

so they can have better seats or sit next to all of their friends in one spot. Your campaign has failed.

i wont think twice about sliding into better seats***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:45 PM

I am also a Christian and proud of it. I commend you on

Jan 7, 2005, 1:56 PM

your decision to not attend for you are acting on your convictions. BUT I do not understand proving a point by punishing the team by preventing seats from being filled. When acting on convictions, a "point" is not the goal.

No bashing here...just healthy discussion.

When my wife was living in Nashville and the Titans made

Jan 7, 2005, 1:56 PM

the playoffs, the moved church up a bit to accomodate the fans. Some even encouraged people to show up in their game attire. They even opened up their kitchens for tailgate food. The point is, they could have gotten all self righteous about it, but they worked with the fans and the team and everyone made out OK. They even made a few bucks selling food. All in all, I'm pretty much old fashioned. College Football was made for Saturdays. I also attend church pretty regularly. I'm even on the Lay Leadership committee. Do I find a church when I'm on vacation...can't say that I do. However, 1 Sunday of football in Clemson isn't going to hurt anyone. Follow your beliefs, but don't let that keep someone else from enjoying Clemson football. You may have friends or neighbors that go to the early service and would like to go to the game. They may even be Catholic and went Saturday night. ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. And the fact that your post has been "trashed"

Jan 7, 2005, 2:17 PM

speaks volumes for those who have replied. Flame away - in the grand scheme of things, people, football is not the most important thing in life. LIFE is.

Why not go after church? Or go to early church?

Jan 7, 2005, 2:24 PM

Seems like a win/win, doesn't it?

i would have missed church that weekend anyway so no biggy***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:43 PM

Re:Agree with you. I hope IPTAY does not support this.***

Jan 7, 2005, 2:51 PM

Re:Clemson has every denomination you want for Church.

Jan 7, 2005, 3:09 PM

You can get someone to fill in for your Sunday school class if you choose to, if not then we will see you at the next home game.
You do not have to be in Church to honor the Lord, it is how you conduct yourself on a daily basis.

Oh brother. Any of yall realize there are PLENTY of

Jan 7, 2005, 3:21 PM

sporting events on Sundays? The NFL anyone? Geeesh.

Re: Oh brother. Any of yall realize there are PLENTY of

Jan 9, 2005, 8:47 AM

I really don't have any problem with a Sun. game but they must take into consideration the time of game so as not to disturb the services and parking of those wanting to have their Church services. You can't just go in and tell people that have been observing these services for many many years that we are going to make you change everything you do so ncaa can make more money. It would be different if Clemson was a big city. I am not for or against but you must admit it is chaotic in Clemson on game day. Plus I hate to see the tailgaters have to change and tone down their routine.

Good thing you're not Jewish.***

Jan 7, 2005, 3:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good thing you're not Jewish.***

Jan 9, 2005, 6:06 AM

LOL!

You, my friend, have gone off the deep end!***

Jan 8, 2005, 2:08 PM

Lighten up, Francis***

Jan 9, 2005, 8:40 AM

Replies: 62
| visibility 1