Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'll be for the flag coming down if...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 600

I'll be for the flag coming down if...

Apr 14, 2007, 11:35 PM

So, from what I understand, the "majority" (I'd love to see anyone pull numbers or stats on this instead of just assuming the majority of the people feel this way) of people in the state/country/wherever find the Confederate flag offensive and feel that it should come down from the memorial. I personally do not feel this way, because I feel it represents a time in the United States' and Southern history, and is placed at the appropriate memorial.

However, I'll concede my side of the point about it staying up if the "other side" gives up something. If the flag comes down, I want the NAACP gone. I find it offensive. People claim the flag represents one race of people enslaving and hating another race of people, preventing them from certain having rights.

To me, this is the exact same thing the NAACP represents. One race of people enslaving (not physically, just legally, mind you) and hating another race of people, preventing them from having certain rights (i.e. freedom of speech, etc.).

So, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, if you want to convince both sides it's a good deal, go find a real job instead of just holding one race of people hostage, in fear that they cannot say or do anything without the threat of litigation, boycotts, or any other mindless waste of time.

A little extreme, maybe. But if they can complain, so can I :) That's all. Have a great night TigerNet

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great way to end the night

Apr 14, 2007, 11:37 PM

Great day tiger Fans. Bright and glorouis future awaits tiger fotball

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll be for the flag coming down if...

Apr 15, 2007, 12:49 AM

I would give you 10 points if I could. Very nicely put.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Arguing symbolism is pointless...

Apr 15, 2007, 2:14 AM

because a symbol means different things to different people and no one is necessarily wrong. To some people, the flag is a symbol of hatred and injustice and to some it is a symbol of heritage. Each side has the right to that belief. One thing it is that cannot be debated is it's a symbol of a defunct government that no longer has any sovereignty over residents of South Carolina. As such, it absolutely did NOT belong in the chambers or on the dome of the Statehouse, only flags of sovereign governments belong in those locations. The BEST location (to me) for it is the State Museum or the Confederate Relic Room (if it's still open), but the current location is a COMPROMISE between those two extremes. IF it were truly put up to commemorate the anniversary of the Confederate War (which is a pretty lame reason), then it should have been removed after that commemoration was over, which would have been over 40 years ago. Putting it up and leaving it up when it happened was a direct insult to blacks in South Carolina.

So we finally figured it out...

Apr 15, 2007, 4:06 AM

People primarily want the flag to stay as an opposition to Jesse/Sharpton and the NAACP. Not for all the BS reasons that people claim.

Unfortunately, the NAACP spends less time "advancing" their cause, and more time whining about current situations. Why don't they work on education in center city schools? Seems this would help their cause the most. Hopefully they can refocus their energy for something meaningful once the flag issue goes away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll be for the flag coming down if...

Apr 15, 2007, 8:05 AM

Are you calling these two fine gentlemen nappy headed ho`s? LOL

I thought this issue had been put to rest, rather we are for

Apr 15, 2007, 9:02 AM

or against it. It was a political issue. Now thanks to Spurrier adding his comments, instead of just saying he would like that to the politicians, it is all up in the air again. Thanks Spurrier for starting this all over again. There is enough racial stuff going on right now without this. Sorry that recruiting is that important to you that you can't seem to do what's right with discipline of your own team, NOR keep your mouth closed when things are out of your control. You coach, we have politicians to decide, right or wrong, about our state.

Replies: 6
| visibility 600
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic