Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Caddy I just can't agree with you on Dabo (Repost)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Caddy I just can't agree with you on Dabo (Repost)

Feb 13, 2012, 7:13 PM

That thread is getting much too big and I wanted to respond to your comments there "1st Scott was the logical guy to be interim HC, 2nd we should have cleaned house and started over regardless of who the interim HC was. Very little has changed under Dabo, we're still soft and can't develop players, esp the OL.

3rd someone new from the outside with a new staff would probably have made the changes we need with our S&C.

4th these last 2 recruiting classes are not consensus top 10 classes. In fact, if you average ESPN, Scout, and Rivals, this years class was 13th. Dabo's last 2 classes are pretty much even with TB's last 3 classes. You guys continually cherry pick the highest rating for Dabo's recruiting classes to compare to TB'S classes and act like that number is all that matters. ESPN, despite the conspiracy theories that ESPN hates us, typically ranks us highest. Rivals in typically considered the most accurate and most respected of the 3 main rankings.

5th recruiting is great, but we have been having consensus top 20, top 15 classes but still under achieving due to coaching. We continually get pushed around by smaller teams with far less talent. That's because of poor S&C and poor coaching."

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=11926747#11926747

And also where you say "Regardless of how one feels about Dabo, anyone even remotely objective has to scratch their head over Dabo being made interim HC. Koenning was DC and an experienced ex-HC. Brad Scott was a NC winning OC and experienced ex-HC as well as Associate/Assistant HC under TB. And as far as position coaches go, Dabo was the one of the youngest and least experienced coaches on the staff. Not only that, one could easily argue our weakest and most poorly coached positions was WR under Dabo.

TB clearly had an agenda, as did TDP and Barker. There is no other way to explain this.

His supporters will try and sell us on the PR that Dabo was seen as a great up and coming coach, but that is absolute BS. His only experience was as a WR coach for the guy he played for in college, and family friend TB. The guy was a career position coach at 40 years old and not being sought after as a HC or coordinator at even small schools.

No other school in the country would make the decisions we did. And who listens to advice from the guy being run off? If TB knew what he was doing he'd still be HC."

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=100&threadID=1082454&messageID=11922670#11922670

Placing Dabo as the interim head coach was not a head scratcher nor was it the product of an agenda by Tommy Bowden. First of all, Dabo was the assistant head coach. To me that would logically be the next person in line. Dabo was also recommended by many people to TDP as an up and comer in the coaching ranks and with the season seemingly lost, who better to get the opportunity to show what he could do?

In reality Clemson wanted nothing to do with VK. He might have been experienced as a Head Coach, but that experience only brought a 5-29 record including 1-21 in conference. He had no future there so there really wasn't a need to see what he could do. Brad Scott had no interest in being a head coach again and was one of the guys who helped push for the Dabo hire. Scott and Dabo have a great relationship and Dabo was almost like a protege of Scott's at Clemson.

Tommy had no agenda either. He had a great relationship with Dabo as well and genuinely felt he could help the Clemson program. While Tommy may have been pushed out the door, he was a smart enough man to know he was given more than enough time to accomplish certain goals and could not get them done. He's never shown any bitterness towards Clemson since he left and has stated on many occasions that if you don't win you won't have a job.

The fact is as TDP put it, he was pretty much warned by many people that he would sorely regret it if he let Dabo leave our program. From the first time he stepped on the field as a GA he was preparing to be a head coach. Dabo worked with a lot of great minds at both Bama and Clemson and watched and learned how each would go about their duties, all along carrying a notebook with him and jotting down everything that he felt was important. His hard work ethic and positive attitude were tough to ignore. You stated he might have been our worst coach, but he had a First or Second team all-ACC WR each year as a WR coach plus sent multiple players to the NFL. So much for not developing!

Now that he's a head coach he has done nothing but impress me. He's a born leader and has set up a support staff with him that is second to none in college football. He's been quick to correct mistakes he has felt he has made and our team has continued to improve.

You may knock him for a lot of things you think he does wrong, but I just don't see it. Add in the fact of all the great coaching minds he gotten to join him shows me he knows what he's doing. Assistants do their homework too. They want to know what they are getting into. To see the quality of coaches we are getting to come here shows me that Dabo has a lot of respect from a lot of people that think he is the right man for the job. BV took a lateral move from Oklahoma to come here. That tells me a lot of where people think this program is going.

I don't get your deal on recruiting either. It's been fantastic. So you say consensus is 13th? Fine, great! I'll take that any day. I love the talent and athletes he's pulling in.

For some reason you also harp on the fact that we are an extremely soft team and that makes us bad. Outside of you and STS I don't really hear many people talk about our team being that soft. In fact, I think we've gotten a lot tougher since the Bowden days. I will agree though we still need to be tougher than we are, but then again that's the same thing I hear from Dabo, Chad, and Brent. Were never gonna be a smash mouth team again, but I think we'll get to a point where we can be as much as the spread will allow. There's a ton of spread teams that score a lot of points and don't have the hogs on the OL. It's a product of the system and I personally don't have a problem with it. Defensively I have a ton of faith in BV getting his boys to win the los.

In 3 full seasons Dabo has taken us to 2 ACC title games, won 1, and taken us to a bowl all 3 years. Even in his "bad year" 5 of our losses were by less than a TD. There's still a lot left to accomplish, but we're moving in the right direction and things will only get better. There's a reason why you're in the minority on your opinions. Think about it!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post not just a good post but a great post !! *****

Feb 13, 2012, 7:25 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Caddy I just can't agree with you on Dabo (Repost)

Feb 13, 2012, 7:29 PM

Really!
ACC Atlantic division championship
ACC championship
First BCS bowl
When you call those 3 nothing. I guess nothing has changed....

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2012, 7:32 PM

Maybe if everybody would quit responding to him, he would go away, am sure this link will explode also

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The longer Dabo is here and continues to improve, the

Feb 13, 2012, 7:43 PM

more it is evident that TDP made the correct long term decision.
Dabo continues to grow in his position and has proven that he can get the right people on staff when someone leaves or performs below average. College football needs more people like Dabo Swinney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The longer Dabo is here and continues to improve, the

Feb 13, 2012, 7:50 PM

true. if what we have seen the last 3 years is "on the job training", i can't wait to see what clemson can accomplish when he really knows what he is doing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree !***

Feb 13, 2012, 8:31 PM

Great Post! Good facts and well thought out.***

Feb 13, 2012, 8:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not post within the other post?

Feb 13, 2012, 8:15 PM

Did you just want to have your own post?

No, I want to control the entire internet that's why***

Feb 13, 2012, 8:38 PM

Feb 13, 2012, 8:15 PM

I agree with you. Dabo brought an entushiasm that CTB could not and did not. I always figured with his background TDP would know what to do with football. I didnt like extending Bowden but I think that one is mostly on Barker. So far the Dabo move which I was concerned was high risk seems to be looking pretty solid

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for the effort and for being Spot on!***

Feb 13, 2012, 8:18 PM

Re: Point for the effort and for being Spot on!***

Feb 13, 2012, 8:25 PM

Great post. I see more enthusiasm from the team and feel that he is working on the problems. He did a lot with a very young team and I can't wait to see what he does over the next few years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Feb 13, 2012, 8:30 PM

Horse's ####.......
BV going from 400K to 800K had alot to do with it. As an aircraft mech. Double my my money and see where I end up.
You are one person that actually has his head up his ####.

It's common knowledge the Sooners would've matched

Feb 13, 2012, 8:44 PM

anything to keep BV. It was not about money.

This is not hearsay – this is first-hand information and not from Brent either – but financially Oklahoma told him he could have the package if he had stayed at OU. But he came here because it is a great opportunity. Brent doesn’t move around...
...I am glad Brent is here. He is not in it for the money.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=10374

Talking about a horse's #### . . .

Feb 13, 2012, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Caddy I just can't agree with you on Dabo (Repost) ]

OU offered him "a multi-year opportunity with virtually the same amount of money that Clemson was offering (believed to be in the range of $750,000 to $800,000). At the end of the day, it really came down to just feeling like it was time for me to go pursue a really unique opportunity, one that I didn't know would maybe come up again."

So it wasn't for the money after all, was it?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120120_92_B1_CUTLIN825353

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Very well said.

Feb 13, 2012, 8:40 PM

Totally agree.

And while we are at it, can we get past, "Nobody in America would have hired Dabo at that time." It really does not matter any more. We did hire him. He is here now. Water under the bridge. Can't change anything. can only work from today forward.

Tell me this. Would you fire Dabo right now? Today? On the spot? If your answer is "yes", all I can say is "wow!"

But if your answer is "NO. I want him to stay.", then hiring Dabo was the right decision. Even back then.

For me. I am glad Dabo is here.

Feb 13, 2012, 9:13 PM

We are a tough team? Seriously? Were you watching all the third and short and 4th and short failures we had this year? Can we tackle or get off blocks on defense? We got pushed around by Wofford and NC State and USC and West Virginia. We only played 'tough' against VTech and FSU but it was really all Morris and his scheme.

Were we mentally tough against West Virginia?? We need new S&C methods. We need a Hatch disciple. Dabo is fine but no one should forget we just had a losing season. No Clemson fan should be content with that so I can understand those who aren't happy with Dabo. Last time I checked Dabo has a losing record to USuCk and until that is changed I won't be happy. No Clemson fan should be happy...

Are YOU Blue Caddy?

Feb 13, 2012, 9:38 PM

Blue Caddy just had a post deleted. Then you posted almost the same exact message.

I think you just gave yourself away.

Where did that Blue Caddy post go? I was responding to it.***

Feb 13, 2012, 9:47 PM

Re: Where did that Blue Caddy post go? I was responding to it.***

Feb 13, 2012, 9:49 PM

I don't know. I was in the middle of responding also. Then the post was gone, then Clemben pops up with the same message.

I only have one ID, this one, and I guess Crump deleted it.***

Feb 13, 2012, 11:40 PM

Re: Where did that Blue Caddy post go? I was responding to it.***

Feb 13, 2012, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Where did that Blue Caddy post go? I was responding to it.*** ]

Not word for word. But clearly the same argument. First post in a year, and he nearly duplicates Blue Caddy. Strange, huh?

How many handles do you have blue_caddy, you old coot ?***

Feb 13, 2012, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Caddy I just can't agree with you on Dabo (Repost) ]

Dec 5, 2012, 12:16 PM

Great Post!
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

West Virgina would say our team is soft. So would usuck.

Feb 13, 2012, 10:58 PM

And they'd be right. Doesn't matter to tnetters though. They only care about recruiting. Giving up 70 to a big least team on national tv is no big deal as long as the recruiting rankings are good.

Being out-physicalled doesn't neccessarily mean you're soft

Feb 13, 2012, 11:36 PM

You throw out WVU and So Car, but I bet FSU and VT wouldn't agree with you and those 2 have some big nasties on their squads. That's like saying LSU is soft b/c Bama tore them up.

I never claimed our team was the toughest around, in fact I'm pretty sure I agreed we need to get tougher, but we aren't that soft team that the Fridge said would fall over if you punch them in the face. We're a far cry from that. I'm not so sure if people even understand the type of OL that goes with our philosophy. You don't want certain types of players if they're not designed for it! As long as we're executing what we need to do that's all that matters.

As for the Orange Bowl debacle, who said it was no big deal? That game was flat out embarrassing and inexcusable. I haven't met anyone who doesn't care about it. I was down there too. It was miserable and I don't ever want to see or experience a performance like that ever again. At the end of the day though it was just 1 game and you can't judge a season by 1 game. It just better not happen again!

We flat quit after 1 bad play vs. GT ans WVU. We were

Feb 13, 2012, 11:43 PM

pushed around by Wofford, a D1-AA team with far smaller and less talented players. We are soft, physically and emotionally.

I'm not saying we don't have things to work on, but when you

Feb 13, 2012, 11:58 PM

make examples like that you tend to forget about the other games that contradict what you say. What happened when we got down big early to Auburn? What about on the road by 18 vs Maryland in the 2nd half? VT was ready to run over us in Lane and then in the ACC title game when they were jacked up to show the world the first game was a fluke. What happened? FSU was the same thing.

I don't think we quit in the GT game, I think we just played sloppy. We did fairly well moving the ball and had a 4 yd rushing avg despite not having our to RB. We just made too many mistakes. Wofford I felt was a combination of a vanilla playbook and overlooking a scrappy team. If you want to say they pushed us around I won't argue that. It was just an average game.

The fact of the matter is we have far more games where you could say we were tougher physically and emotionally than we were soft. Are we where we want to be yet? I don't think so. I think we have some work to do, but as a whole I'm very excited where we are as a program. I for the life of me can't understand why you can't see that!

wow, why do you have so many followers????***

Feb 14, 2012, 9:18 AM [ in reply to We flat quit after 1 bad play vs. GT ans WVU. We were ]

Feb 14, 2012, 6:34 AM

I am not sure why you put quotes around "bad year" it really was a bad year, no matter how you tommy bowden it with the 4 pts were by whatever, it shouldnt have happened. I think the team is moving in the right direction, but I think alot of us know we still dont have a top notch coach.

Bad years don't result in Championships & Coach of the Year

Feb 14, 2012, 6:49 AM

Definitely some bad games in there; however, that does not make it a bad year.
Definitely not the greatest year, since Clemson football has had five undefeated seasons.
I would say a "pretty good" year. Many things to work on, and many things to celebrate.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic