Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those of you who slam OP becuase he only gets us to the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

For those of you who slam OP becuase he only gets us to the

Jan 25, 2010, 6:08 PM

"middle of the ACC pack", do you have any idea of our basketball history? We have been consistent in the lower half of the ACC prior to Purnell's arrival, with a few scattered exceptions. We have never won an ACC championship. We have had one consensus All American, 1939, none of you OP bashers were born then. The four years prior to his arrival we had an overall record of 50 - 69. For those of you that think we should just cruise into the upper echelon of ACC play year in and year out, there are two teams you may have heard of, UNC and Duke. They have a few ACC and national championships to their credit. They continue to recruit fairly well, so I hear.

The last four years we have gone 100 - 45. The Rick Barnes years, not even close. Cliff Ellis had no such four year run. Bill Foster, nope, not him either. Clemson has never approached a recruiting class like last years. These may be inconvenient truth's for you OP bashers, but they are truths just the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOORAH!

Jan 25, 2010, 6:14 PM

I agree 100%!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those of you who slam OP becuase he only gets us to

Jan 25, 2010, 6:28 PM

AMEN!

Some people complained about Rick Barnes too....

Jan 25, 2010, 6:37 PM

some people are just never happy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I heard he didn't tip the bartenders well at the TTT***

Jan 25, 2010, 7:11 PM

VERY WELL SAID, OP is the BEST thing to happen to....

Jan 25, 2010, 6:35 PM

Clemson Basketball

I HEARD DAT!!***

Jan 25, 2010, 6:38 PM

There is a glass ceiling in the ACC

Jan 25, 2010, 6:39 PM

For teams not named UNC and Duke, it will always be very difficult to finish in the upper echelon top 4 (sometimes top 6) in the conference.

UNC and Duke have two things (among so many others) going for them: (1) currently two of the finest coaches ever to coach at the college level and (2) typically, outstanding basketball players who develop over their careers (see item 1 immediately above). So most years, UNC and Duke will be your best two teams. That leaves 10 teams fighting for 2 spots in what we call the upper echelon.

With schools that have a great deal of tradition and take tremendous pride in playing excellent basketball like Wake, Georgia Tech, NC State, Boston College and even UVa, the competition will be stiff to get into the upper echelon. Throw in other teams that are loaded with athletic talent (although not necessarily the best basketball players) like VT, FSU and Miami, and its a dog fight every single year.

But if you've actually watched us play over the last 10 years, the development of the talent over time, and the fact that we no longer have to rely exclusively on sheer athletic ability and instead have what I like to call "basketball players," I don't see how one can argue that OP hasn't done a fine job thus far.

And remember, every other school in the conference except maybe Duke (even UNC) has had serious gripes about their coach at some point this year. Welcome to the big leagues. Hopefully, we'll stick around a while.

OP is tops compared to his predecessors.

Jan 25, 2010, 6:47 PM

Barnes was an upstart when it came to working the officials. I loved him for it but he challenged the conference authorities way to soon.

You must have seen the fine work ratboy did with the officials. He seemed to control the paint with a ton of no calls. We didn't adjust and therefore gave dook a tremendous advantage.

Come on OP raise some he!! when you need to. I would love to see him thrown out of a game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't matter. Screw the ACC, all we need to do is

Jan 25, 2010, 9:10 PM [ in reply to There is a glass ceiling in the ACC ]

consistently finish 3 or 4 in the conference and get a good seed in the NCAA Tournament!

I agree, but we can't become the next UNC or Duke until

Jan 25, 2010, 7:36 PM

we reach the Wake, Maryland, Ga Tech level CONSISTENTLY. It takes years. It looks like OP is doing the right things to move Clemson up the ACC chart steadily. Look at the young players we have! Sure we will miss Booker next year, but Purnell's next 4 years could be better than the most recent four, which were very good. People nationwide are talking about Clemson basketball (and not just because we play in the ACC). If Purnell stays and fans/students continue to make Littlejohn a place to be respected/feared, then those goals we all have (conference championships, runs into the NCAAs) will be attainable.

Stupid argument! FSU was nothing before Bowden, Miami was

Jan 25, 2010, 9:09 PM

nothing before Schnelinberger, Florida was nothing before Spurrier. We have had success before, just not persistent or consistent success.

The history is in the past, the future is all that matters.

Way too many people on this board are willing to settle or make excuses! we'll never be great in basketball because ... the ACC hates us, or our history sucks, or insert excuse here ... just like we'll never be great in football again because ... the game has changed, parity, ESPN/SEC, the ACC hates us, SC is too small a state, we don't have the money, insert excuse here!

I guarantee you OP is not satisfied! Each step means increased expectations to take the next step!

You think Florida, of all schools, can win back to back NCAA basketball championships and we can't? Name 1 basketball player from Florida before 5 years ago in the NBA that fans would recognize? Then compare that to Larry Nance, Tree Rollins, Dale Davis, Horace Grant, Elden Campbell, Sharon Wright, Greg Buckner, etc.

Greatness is achieved step by step and pushing to get better each step, not by settling or making excuses!

Not a stupid argument and you seem to agree with me w/ your

Jan 29, 2010, 10:30 AM

last line.

All I am saying is it takes time. If you post that Clemson struggles to hit outside shots...well, yeah, what are you proposing? You got a solution that doesn't support your statement that "Greatness is achieved step by step and pushing to get better each step, not by settling or making excuses!"?

So this is the ole, 'one rung at a time,' argument.

Jan 29, 2010, 11:42 AM [ in reply to I agree, but we can't become the next UNC or Duke until ]

I remember the bottom rung well!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all of that said, you would agree that our offense is pretty

Jan 25, 2010, 7:39 PM

awful, right? we play very good defense. we are high energy on that end and we hustle. but i don't see much on offense except for 5 guys passing the ball around the perimeter until the clock runs low and we jack up a three, most of the time that is. when we are generating points off our press, we look good. but we have absolutely NO half court offense. i'm not bashing OP. i like the guy. i just recognize that he isn't perfect.

And there he is.....the one who feels FORCED to

Jan 25, 2010, 10:55 PM

spotlight the "opposite view"... "I just think he (Coach Purnell) isn't perfect".....thanks so much.
Gosh, you have a true gift for overstating the moronically obvious.......you know, the rest of us are truly incapable of stepping back long enough (or read 15 sports editorials) to get the overall view....and we're not bright enough to consider the little negative points attached to the topic

Just for the future: If any of us actually post some minor optimism, should we just go ahead and portray the total opposite to keep you from feeling the necessity of being the absolute ONLY INDIVIDUAL to be the "voice of reason"????????

Get a hobby

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: all of that said, you would agree that our offense is pretty

Jan 26, 2010, 9:02 AM [ in reply to all of that said, you would agree that our offense is pretty ]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that see's this. I think that since we are winning, people just overlook that fact. I admit I don't know a great deal about basketball, but I can see that there is no structure to out offense. Now I do love to watch our defense when they press, but I get so frustrated in our half court offense. We just throw the ball around the perimeter and try to get Booker the ball when we can, if we can't we just throw up a half-### 3 that usually isn't anywhere close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

I know pretty much nothing about basketball

Jan 25, 2010, 9:23 PM

and I can tell OP is the best coach we've had.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: I know pretty much nothing about basketball

Jan 26, 2010, 8:34 AM

exactly

I like OP, but you say "Rick Barnes years not even close,"

Jan 26, 2010, 8:47 AM

That's not true. We may average a few more wins during OP's years but Barnes' 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years were the best in our history, imo. There were 2 first round NCAA losses, like OP, and one sweet 16 of course, but I'm just talking about the make up of the teams.

The teams those three years were better overall than any three years in our history, imo, but to say they aren't "even close" to our current four year run is an amazing exaggeration.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barnes was 59-35...23-25 ACC in years 2-4.

Jan 26, 2010, 8:53 AM

By CU standards, excellent seasons but even Rick did not have back to back winning ACC records and he recruited poorly his last 2 seasons.

These are the best times ever for CU hoops. Hopefully we can start winning some NCAA games. That's all that's missing right now.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

The ACC was tougher then, though******

Jan 26, 2010, 8:56 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed there, ACC had 3 top 5 teams in WFU, UNC, CU***

Jan 26, 2010, 1:19 PM

If we make the NCAA this year, I'll prolly agree.

Jan 26, 2010, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Barnes was 59-35...23-25 ACC in years 2-4. ]

Still, my main point was that Barnes' teams in season 2, 3, and 4 could hang easily with any of OP's teams, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

coots say the same thing about football every year

Jan 26, 2010, 10:46 AM

I mock them for that too

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Hmmmm...

Jan 26, 2010, 12:28 PM

Where's this going. Let's see: because he lifted us to middle of pack and we never did that before, then no evaluation allowed, or you are a "basher".... I believe this is how you remain mediocre. I see a team in Columbia that follows this theory, for year after year, decade after decade...wouldn't want to be them. Always become the best that you can, look for the edge. Constructive criticism is a good thing.

Amen

Jan 26, 2010, 1:25 PM

I remember going to Duke and UNC games when they came to Clemson when I was a student (2001-2004) and we would get killed by 30-40 points. Not only that, but there would be NO FANS THERE. To know that the Duke tickets were at a high premium last Saturday, it was a sold out game, and GameDay was there ... wow how far we have come so quickly.

Re: Amen

Jan 29, 2010, 11:48 AM

All I know is that I can finally watch Clemson bball again. I could not stand to watch that crap that Shyatt teams played. I couldn't sit thru 10 minutes of that crap. At least OP teams make the opponents bring their "A" game. Yes - we played like crap against BC, but still almost beat them. Just 2-3 key plays would have changed the outcome. Anyway - I'm okay with OP. At least we stomped UNC and Duke in recent years, and that's hard to do.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic