Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perspective
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Perspective

Nov 19, 2007, 8:31 AM

If ever an institution and coach were meant for each other, it's Tommy Bowden and Clemson. After Hatfield and west did their part to destroy our program, and the fans did their part (I'm giving credit where credit is due here), we found ourselves facing a good bit of adversity. Tommy Came in here tasked with getting Clemson to return to the level of dominance we saw when our program hit its absolute peak. During this period, Our Conference has also gotten stronger by adding 3 consistently good Programs (BC, UofM, & VT) while we no longer play the same caliber of teams that we did then.
Overall, Tommy essentially had to undo 10 years of steps backwards, and combine it with improved academic standards and graduation rates. Add to that the Fact that it was done without any non-secondary NCAA violations and the progress we've seen so far is impressive, especially considering that Pell and Ford had our program in some hot water with the NCAA during and after their tenures.

What we saw this year was a team, that by all accounts was supposed to be very mediocre, come out and contend for the division title until the last play of the last week of the season. Say what you want, but I think we over performed this year. We're on the upswing, and while it takes a bit longer to get over the hump when you're doing things right, it's always much more rewarding when you do.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, the ACC added three pretty good teams

Nov 19, 2007, 8:36 AM

to the fold. However, there is only three teams currently in the top 25 outside of us. We're not exactly a powerhouse conference. Tommy might have had to undo some damge of the Hatfield/West eras but after nine years that excuse is getting a little old.

Still pretending to be a Tiger coot ?***

Nov 19, 2007, 8:39 AM

BTW 6-2***

Nov 19, 2007, 8:41 AM

Please respond below***

Nov 19, 2007, 8:51 AM

Still pretending to be a Tiger coot ?***

Nov 19, 2007, 8:55 AM

and you're hardly even pretending ****

Nov 19, 2007, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Still pretending to be a Tiger coot ?*** ]

Meanwhile, Jags joins the list of

Nov 19, 2007, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Yes, the ACC added three pretty good teams ]

1st or 2nd year head coaches to play for or win the title.

He also inherited a program that was expected to contend for

Nov 19, 2007, 9:02 AM

a conference championship with a Heisman candidate QB!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

wrong - BC was expected to finish 4, 5, or 6 in the Atlantic***

Nov 19, 2007, 11:47 PM

I predicted an 8-4 record this yr and we've got the 8 wins

Nov 19, 2007, 8:44 AM

We had an untested qb with a new o-line coming into the season and I feel like they accomplished a lot w/that in mind. I feel like next yr could be the 10-2 or 11-1 yr. Tommy has done a great job taking to program where it is now vs where it was 10 yrs ago.

Remember this too

Nov 19, 2007, 8:46 AM

A Typical Danny Ford team would only be 9-1-1. Still he did bring home the ACC championships.

and the probations***

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

It should be "probation" singular.

Nov 19, 2007, 8:49 AM

And that was mostly Charlie Pell, not Danny.

Danny won his NC with Pell's team, you should treat him

Nov 19, 2007, 8:50 AM

with more respect. Without that 12-0 year Ford was 84-29-4. So a typical DF team was not 9-1-1.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: Danny won his NC with Pell's team, you should treat him

Nov 19, 2007, 9:03 AM

1979 - Pell's players - 8-4 - Tied for 2nd in ACC
1980 - Pell's players - 6-5 - 4th in ACC
1981 - 12-0 ACC and NTL Champs
1982 - 9-1-1 - ACC Champs
1983 - 9-1-1 - Probation
1984 - 7-4 - Probation
1985 - 6-6 - PRobation
1986 - 8-2-2 - ACC Champs
1987 - 10-2 - ACC Champs
1988 - 10-2 - ACC Champs
1989 - 10-2 - ACC Champs

Except for Probation ravaged years Danny was most likely to be either 9-1-1 or 10-2

unfortunately we will have a new oline again next year ***

Nov 19, 2007, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I predicted an 8-4 record this yr and we've got the 8 wins ]

^^^This is a good thing^^^***

Nov 19, 2007, 8:57 AM

hard to argue with that***

Nov 19, 2007, 9:00 AM

Also . . .

Nov 19, 2007, 8:44 AM

Remember that we played teams like Georgia and Fla. State out of Conference in the Ford days as well. Typically there would be only one So Conf team then a Georgia or Fla. State. The year we won the MNC we played two top 10 teams in the regular season. So the schedule has not gotten that much more difficult.

I agree to some extent.

Nov 19, 2007, 8:45 AM

I think Tommy gets little credit for the debacle the administration created when Ford left. He has been and will be known as the guy that got Clemson pointing in the right direction.

If Tommy is to get any criticism it should be from his early years when he failed to bring in the big uglies. However, it appears to me he has done a masterful job of getting quality players on both sides of the ball. The OL took a hit this year with us missing Eric Young and the kid that went to Georgia.

How many potential NFL recruits do we have that are Sophmor or Juniors?

Davis
Spiller
Sapp
Hamlin
Harper
Ford
Merling
Richardson
Scott

I'm not sure that we overperformed...

But our talent pool this season is largely Junior/RS Soph and younger. Next year's class is looking strong.

While not overperforming, it's not like we came up short with a senior heavy team.

I want to see Clemson win, but what I really judge the team on is their competitiveness. We've been extremely competitive the last few season and the scale is continuing to tip in our direction in recruiting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

point. and i do think tommy's done a good job helping us

Nov 19, 2007, 8:58 AM

get back from where we were. i just wonder sometimes if he's the right guy to get us to the NEXT level. more often i think he's not. but that doesn't change the fact that i think he's done a good job getting us to where we are. he's obviously a good guy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

One of the most sane posts since Saturday night!

Nov 19, 2007, 8:59 AM

Thanks for expressing what I have been thinking and feeling every time some "fan" bashes Tommy.

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Wow

Nov 19, 2007, 9:01 AM

Please tell me this is a joke. How have we fallen this far as fans as to be content without a conf. championship once in 9 years? You don't build a program in 9 years - ask Jim Tressell, Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, Nick Saban or Mike Belotti. The fact remains that Bowden is the longest tenured BCS conference coach without a championship.

You can call me a "Coot" all you want, but I grew up in this town, graduated from Clemson and I've been through it all and seen it all. I refuse to put up w/ this any more. Will I continue to support the players? Of course I will, those boys deserve my support no matter what. But I am a working man, and if I screw up my job, I get called out on the carpet. Bowden deserves the same scrutiny that comes along with being in the upper 1 percent of the pay scale.

Sounds too much like "wait til next year"***

Nov 19, 2007, 9:09 AM

I said 8-4 would mean he'd be back. We've made it to

Nov 19, 2007, 9:41 AM

8 and I'll not make myself into a liar like many on here have. However, the stakes got higher for next year. ACC or out.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here we go again

Nov 19, 2007, 10:00 AM

I don't know what most of the TB supporters are so proud of. Clemson contended for a trip to the title game in a bad ACC Conference. When are we going to be reconized as having any chance to complete for a national title. There are several teams in the Southeast that Clemson cannot compete with. There is Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, and possible Auburn and South Flordia. We're catching some ACC teams but loosing ground to the ones I noted above.

This post gets 58 points? LOL***

Nov 19, 2007, 11:32 AM

64...and counting.***

Nov 19, 2007, 11:47 PM

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic