Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greenwood Clemson Club
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 608

Greenwood Clemson Club

Apr 10, 2006, 9:31 PM

The meeting was great tonight. Tommy Bowden and Oliver Purnell both spoke and they both did a phenomenal job. First they showed the basketball highlights and they were great. After that Oliver Spoke on the basis of our program.

He started by saying that by saying that the basketball team had their banquet last night. He spoke about the seniors and their importance to the team this year. He also said that this group of players were good players, but better kids. He said that when Akin got up to speak that the first thing he said was I want to thank Clemson university for giving me a scholorship. Class act!..He talked about the recruiting class we have coming in and also said we have one more scholorship to give. He sounded very up beat about the position of our program. The best thing I thought he said was that he thinks you only need 2 good recruiting classes and let those players build the confidence of the program and that can help turn around a bball program..very good job.. great coach..

next we had the football highlights.. By the time they were over I wanted to suit up..omg they were awesome..James Davis is unbelievable..

After that Tommy got up to speak. This was the best I have heard him speak when the subject concerned the state of Clemson football. He was of course funny, but serious as well. He started with a story about recruiting...He said I don't think anyone has ever came into the state of florida and got the #1 player in that state in all the years my father has been at FSU. 17 million people in the state of Florida and about 300 division 1 recruits, south carolina is about 3 million and 30 D1 recruits and we go in there and get their best guy? He said so Dabo did a great job of recruit C.J.Spiller and then I went in home with him. The assistant coach gets 6 in homes or in school visits and the head coach gets one. So I went in to try and close the deal.

He said I went in and we showed a few cut-ups and we got right into it from the start. I let those other guys start then I interupted and said " CJ, how many players have ever won the heisman at Clemson?" the room was quite for a sec and then CJ answered, "I don't know"? Bowden said, "None"!, I think you can be the first!..He said C.J. then inched up in his seat a little bit and started smiling. Tommy said he let the other coaches take over for a few minutes and then all the sudden Tommy interupted again and said CJ have you ever heard of Archie Griffin? CJ said, "of course" Bowden said he won 2 heisman trophies at Ohio St., I think you can win 2 at Clemson! he said Spiller's eyes lit up and he was standing by that point. As the time passed he said they were getting ready to head out and he had hugged everyone and laughed and hugged and said all the right things to mama and they were heading out the door and he said I think I had just got through mentioning a 3rd heisman and I saw a limo outside. He said his dad got out of the limo...Tommy said I couldn't believe it, my dad had to have planned to pull up about the time were leaving.. Anyway, he said as we were leaving I went by my dad and shook his hand and he didn't say anything to me. we walked off and my dad turned around on the porch and said "tommy, call your mama when you get home". lol..Everyone cracked up.. Tommy said he felt this high..lol

tommy went on to say signing day he called his dad knowing that CJ was coming to Clemson and he asked his dad if he had any thoughts and his dad said I don't know but I do know it's between us and florida...lol.. Tommy said he smiled on the other end of the phone...

He said Jacoby was really fast. He said he was talking to his dad and said we don't have anyone fast enough to catch him and YOU don't either...lol

He said a few other things about recruits and red shirts but asked them to be off the record so I will respect him on those.. All in All it was a great meeting..

hope this helps some..

go tigers..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

re: my post on the donor board...

Apr 10, 2006, 9:40 PM

i think i just lost a li'l respect for CTB

just a li'l

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: re: my post on the donor board...

Apr 11, 2006, 12:47 PM

every coach does it, it's just a matter of who does it better..

Great story......

Apr 10, 2006, 9:44 PM

I kinda got chills when I read where he said "I think you can win 2.".................That's gotta be a shot in the arm after you pull out your best stuff for a bigtime prospect and then when you leave one of the best college fb coaches ever comes to the door about to try and sell his program. CJ you will be great at Clemson......thanks for coming.

Re: Great story......

Apr 10, 2006, 11:06 PM

I think CJ said saturday that he's just ready to get here and help lead Clemson to another national title..

Appreciate it Coyote

Apr 10, 2006, 9:45 PM

bring on the points

Re: Greenwood Clemson Club

Apr 11, 2006, 12:53 PM

Nice report, thanx

Replies: 6
| visibility 608
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive