Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is the proper way to think about the Auburn game....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Here is the proper way to think about the Auburn game....

Sep 7, 2016, 12:53 PM

1. Most importantly we won the game. We are 1-0 and that is as good as we can be.

The only thing left is what it means for the rest of the season. Moving on.

2. We had no serious injuries. A 70-0 win losing a starter is much worse than a 19-13 win and keeping them all.

3. It is the second most talented team we will face during the regular season. Good news moving forward.

4. It is the most hostile environment we will play in all season. Good news moving forward.

5. Deshaun Watson was NOT the QB he was in the playoffs last year. He really never got into the flow of the game. Despite a lot of injuries/suspensions for Auburn DB's we were not able to really punish Auburn. I think the hype got to his head. I think now that he has heard some negativity (instead of constant positivity) he will get his head screwed on right and get back to the form we know he has already shown us.

6. Our defense proved that (when not playing prevent) that it is good enough to win a national championship. We didn't have our best DE... which is a big deal. We still blew them up (when not playing prevent.)

7. Dabo is an amazing program builder, but the guy is capable of the odd bad decisions from time to time. Nobody is perfect. This could hurt us, but look at where our program is at. I gladly take the bad for the good.

8. Our OL is solid. Auburn's defensive front is Good. We can insult Auburn all we want but they are loaded with DL talent. Our OL held their own. Most of our offensive woes were not due to them.

9. First games are necessarily shakier than the rest of the season. Cobwebs are out. We have a couple easy games to kill our mistakes. This is good news moving forward.

10. Our playcalling was extremely conservative... and we won. Even though it almost killed me, our bland playcalling kept nearly all of our cards close to our chest. Guys, we know that our OC's are solid. Give credit to Auburn for playing well on D.

11. Some people are judging the game on last year's Auburn. This year's Auburn may be top-15. Wait and see.

12. Mike Williams adds a new dimension to our offense that is SO dangerous that it nearly single-handedly compensated for all the bad that we witnessed.

13. We won a night game.... on the road.... against a very talented SEC team... during the first week of the season. Somebody check the history of that scenario.

14. Ben Boulware is a crazy person. Hopefully the coaches can slow his roll. He sorta cancelled himself out with notable plays.

15. Did I mention we are 1-0?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is the proper way to think about the Auburn game....

Sep 7, 2016, 12:56 PM

Good perspective

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only question #4 because FSU was 5X louder than Auburn

Sep 7, 2016, 1:20 PM

was in 2010 and 2016. In fact 2012 was like a wave a noise in the 4th quarter in Doak Campbell.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. FSU will be a way tougher environment.***

Sep 7, 2016, 1:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. FSU will be a way tougher environment.***

Sep 7, 2016, 1:29 PM [ in reply to I only question #4 because FSU was 5X louder than Auburn ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's debatable. But the point remains. Not 5x either.***

Sep 7, 2016, 4:01 PM [ in reply to I only question #4 because FSU was 5X louder than Auburn ]

FSU 5X louder than Auburn. Maybe my ears were stopped up

Sep 7, 2016, 7:09 PM [ in reply to I only question #4 because FSU was 5X louder than Auburn ]

at Doak.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I only question #4 because FSU was 5X louder than Auburn

Sep 8, 2016, 12:45 AM [ in reply to I only question #4 because FSU was 5X louder than Auburn ]

FSU isn't very loud due to the way the stadium is shaped. Lane and even the Carrier Dome are louder.

Source: former Tiger Band, made the trip a few times and stood out on the sidelines during the game.

Sep 7, 2016, 1:24 PM

As talented as Auburns Defensive front is they had zero sacks against our O-line, plus we had a runner top 100 yards. Another point is I don't believe our O-line got called for any holding or penalties at all. Am I wrong did we not throw the ball downfield at all in the game? Looks like the OC's decide to do just enough to win this one and not give anything away. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #7 LOL.....Dabo gonna dab sometimes***

Sep 7, 2016, 1:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nailed it. We have nothing to be upset about.

Sep 7, 2016, 1:41 PM

We are 1-0 after playing a shaky game against an SEC opponent at night in their house. Be happy, Tigers. This is good news.

Boulware already owned his mistake.
Does anyone thing Deshaun forgot how to play QB? He will be back to his old self next game.

Enjoy it, everyone!

null

I agree except #7... #7 is based on an assumption that the

Sep 7, 2016, 1:44 PM

FG was good. If it was a bad snap, it could have given AU 15-20 yards.

Kicking the FG was the right decision. Odds of

Sep 7, 2016, 3:56 PM

positive results were higher than going for it in a shotgun run from 4 yards away.

Re: Kicking the FG was the right decision. Odds of

Sep 8, 2016, 4:02 PM

Folks will question the the non FG kick this whole season. But there is one thing that I haven't heard questioned yet, and maybe bc it isn't a question bc of what the rule is. But before the Aubarn QB through the ball on that second hail mary, the game clock had 00:00 and the ball was still in his hand. Now I thought that if the ball wasn't out of his hand in the air, or the QB wasn't trying to get in the end zone when the clock ran out, game over. What is the rule on that???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as it is snapped before 0:00 the play can take

Sep 8, 2016, 4:57 PM

as long as it needs to. There is no rule about having to throw the ball with time on the clock. It's all about the snap.

Re: As long as it is snapped before 0:00 the play can take

Sep 8, 2016, 5:41 PM

Thanks, I wasn't sure, just knew that the clock had run out with QB still holding the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you've watched too much hoops***

Sep 8, 2016, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Kicking the FG was the right decision. Odds of ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2016, 1:52 PM

I agree. #5 is probably the most significant. Watson has heard how great he is for almost a year. It just might get inside any 20 year-old's head. His favorite pro quarterback Cam Newton was on the sidelines-did he press too hard trying to impress? On pass plays looks like he had made up his mind Williams was only receiver on the field.

Film time with Streeter should be intense this week.

Sep 7, 2016, 6:19 PM

Not convinced Auburn is a great team. Defense maybe good but their offense is probably horrid.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

They are a very talented team. That part isn't debatable.

Sep 7, 2016, 6:59 PM

Maybe they won't be awesome this year, but their defense played well against us.

Remember, the national champ 2010 Auburn Tigers barely beat us in OT at their place... and we ended up with a losing record. Some games are wars.

We didn't play anything close to our best game, and we beat an elite program at their place during week one.

They have been an elite program lately, except last year. No reason to think they have dropped off the map.

Sep 7, 2016, 6:49 PM

>
> 13. We won a night game.... on the road.... against a
> very talented SEC team... during the first week of
> the season. Somebody check the history of that
> scenario.

I checked, we hadn't beaten Auburn at their house since Nov. 25, 1950.

Yours is a good perspective. This is going to be a great season!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2016, 7:17 PM

Quote: "12. Mike Williams adds a new dimension to our offense that is SO dangerous that it nearly single-handedly compensated for all the bad that we witnessed."

I think Watson is going to have to start going through his progressions and not be zeroed in on Williams quite as much. I love it that Williams caught a lot of passes, but I think we are more effective when the ball gets spread around and we have a little more variety that the 15 yard back-shoulder throw. This has already been mentioned but it entered my mind as the game was going on. Dabo mentioned that he regretted not playing more players that have earned playing time, so he is concerned about keeping guys happy. Our receivers have worked hard and deserve some balls coming their way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's as simple as Deshaun not wanting to get to aggressive

Sep 7, 2016, 10:29 PM

And throw it to Cain or Ray Ray who might possibly screw up a route and risk losing the game with a big turnover. He saw MW with man2man coverage so why would u throw any where else? Had we gotten out in front more I think you would have seen him spread the ball around more and get more aggressive. But he knew everyone would be rusty so why risk a turnover? Dw4 knows we have Troy and scstate to work out the rust. You'll see more throws to those guys. But auburn had a good defense so why risk it

I disagree with Auburn having a good team

Sep 7, 2016, 8:40 PM

But other than that your arguments were spot on. Clemson beat Auburn at Auburn for the first time in 112 years. That's enough to get me excited. And Clemson played a sloppy game at Louisville last year, yet went on to make the playoffs. Louisville last year was similar to Auburn this year. Talented defense but otherwise not a great team. Plus we played in front of 55,000 crazed Louisville fans, as compared to 91,000 Crazed Auburn fans. So all in all, we are on track.

Sep 7, 2016, 10:18 PM

Very well said!

I did not change a thing about how I felt about us preseason, it wasn't fancy and good for espn to write about but like DW4 said, we got the W. Credit Auburn, they didn't make many mistakes especially on defense. I bet they finish top 20.

Going to be another great year. Go Tigers!

Sep 8, 2016, 1:24 AM

Personally, if you go back and rewatch the game, maybe you will see that the team that lost 9 starters to the NFL, they were the most dominate D last Saturday night!!!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic