Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson/USC admissions from a recent hs grad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Clemson/USC admissions from a recent hs grad

May 19, 2011, 4:51 PM

I graduated from high school two years ago. My parents tell me that Clemson has always been more selective than USC, but it has become even more so recently (top 20 initiative started our rise, recent 3.0, 1000 SAT thing at USC widening the gap).

I only applied to USC just to say I got in, and I can honestly say that I do not know anyone PERSONALLY who has been denied admission to the "flagship" institution of our state.

I was accepted to USC in December 08, and they even offered me a $2000 scholarship to boot. Meanwhile my first and only choice, Clemson, stuck me in the Bridge program in February. I chose to do the Bridge along with my twin sister, since Clemson was really the only place we ever wanted to be (parents are class of 79).

Fortunately for me, I was moved out of the Bridge in April and fully accepted to Clemson (best day of my life). But the point is that even Clemson's Bridge program is more selective than USC. USC wanted me enough to offer me extra money, while Clemson essentially put me on the waiting list with the Bridge as my security net.

Hopefully this will end all useless appeals by coots who think they come anywhere close to our standards. USC was a joke BEFORE the 3.0, 1000 SAT garbage. Clemson is the only hope for the educational reputation of our state

Message was edited by: acraftytiger®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

Congrats. SCar is a complete joke of a "flagship" university

May 19, 2011, 4:55 PM

and a complete joke of a school.

I guess it serves a need in our state for those less fortunate though.

What did you think of the bridge program?

May 19, 2011, 5:17 PM

I was a bridge student two years ago and was able to get on through to Clemson... as much as I hated that he!! hole of a college, Clemson has been more than worth it.

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't in the Bridge, but my sister said it was worth it***

May 19, 2011, 6:22 PM

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

Re: Clemson/USC admissions from a recent hs grad

May 19, 2011, 5:18 PM

It is not a bad place to go to school if you want to become a prison guard, or get into some sort of law enforcment. You can also get drunk evey bight and expect to graduate on time, just ask Stephen Garcia. I also understand that by attending their law school, you are all but gaurunteed to get work helping football players with their legal problems. ;)

Don't knock USC entirely, not everyone can go to junior college or attend Clemson's bridge program in the state of SC.-

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2011, 5:20 PM

Is that 1000 on the old 1600 test or the newer 2400 point test??

I would venture to bet that it is more difficult

May 19, 2011, 5:26 PM

to be admitted to the College of Charleston that SCar nowadays.

Nothing against C of C.

I am a '84 Clemson graduate. I have a son that will be a

May 19, 2011, 5:55 PM

2012 Clemson graduate and a son who hopes to be a 2015 graduate. Some of their friends are at South Carolina and some will start next year at South Carolina. They say USC wants them more than Clemson and are offering more scholarship money. They are also claiming their Mechanical Engineering program is now better and ranked higher than Clemson's. USC's website is showing this on their website using National Research Council's rankings. NRC's rankings come out every 10 years. The last one just came out 2010. I read they are based on 2006-2007 survey data. Does anyone have any thoughts on NRC's credibility? How is USC able to offer so much more scholarship money?

Nonsense. Why anyone from outside the greater Columbia

May 19, 2011, 7:37 PM

area would major in engineering at SCAR is a mystery to me.

I picked Clemson 35 years ago because of its engineering program. The only comparable options in the southeast were Ga Tech, Va Tech, and to a lesser extent NC State and Auburn. The same is still true today.

The engineering industry in the southeast and beyond is full of grads from those five schools. You are hard pressed to find SCAR engineering grads outside a 30 mile radius of Columbia.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baloney

May 19, 2011, 10:23 PM

Neither one of us wants me to go post all the engineering alum bios to prove you wrong.

Why not, all you do is waste time.

May 20, 2011, 9:35 AM

We will need the school of every engineer within 30 miles of columbia. We will need another list of every engineer in all southern states and the district of columbia more than 30 miles beyond columbia SC. Compile these two lists and let us know how wrong you are. Thanks in advance.

crickets***

May 20, 2011, 11:55 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

I hope your reading

May 22, 2011, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Why not, all you do is waste time. ]

comprehension is better than what you've demonstrated here.

"You are hard pressed to find SCAR engineering grads outside a 30 mile radius of Columbia"

is the post I responded to above - and this is very easily to refute with any search engine.

Nice grammar #######.

May 24, 2011, 11:32 AM

Point proven.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Yawn......**********

May 20, 2011, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Baloney ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I too, have worked in engineering for 30 years....

May 20, 2011, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Nonsense. Why anyone from outside the greater Columbia ]

I have worked as a Construction Project Manager on major construction projects in four states, and have NEVER encountered an engineering graduate from South Carolina.

I'm not saying they don't exist, but I have worked closely over the years with engineers from VT, GT, NCSU, Auburn, TAMU, Purdue, and others.

Where in the hell are they working?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

O***

May 22, 2011, 9:10 PM

check your mail***

May 22, 2011, 9:12 PM [ in reply to I too, have worked in engineering for 30 years.... ]

You have nothing better to do than tmail random tigernetters

May 24, 2011, 11:29 AM

to try and prove them wrong on a miniscule fact? Let me guess, you're living off a "disability" check?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I grad. hs in '01, USC did offer more scholarships

May 20, 2011, 3:13 PM [ in reply to I am a '84 Clemson graduate. I have a son that will be a ]

... but I still wanted to go to Clemson. :) They especially offered more up front to National Merit Finalists (not counting add'l money these students could compete for thru Clemson Nat'l Scholars, etc.), but more NMF go to Clemson than USC.

Clemson engineering is among the best in the southeast.

May 24, 2011, 11:27 AM [ in reply to I am a '84 Clemson graduate. I have a son that will be a ]

USuC is living a pipe dream to think otherwise.

It's quite possible that

May 19, 2011, 5:58 PM

USC wanted you and offered you $2,000 because they thought you were valuable and wanted you as part of the student body.

USC is clear in their mission and a majority of the board has historically believed that USC should be available for high school graduates in the state of South Carolina that want to attend college.

I know that some on the board have wanted to raise admissions criteria for years (decades really) but those efforts have largely been resisted by enough members of the board to slow those increases.

Re: It's quite possible that

May 19, 2011, 6:02 PM

Love this thread.

May 19, 2011, 6:05 PM

We should also realize Usuc has twice as many freshman entering each year so I would have to think it would be easier because they would need to fill all of their spots.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2011, 6:11 PM

Sure- of course.

It depends on what the mission of the school happens to be - what their goals are - etc...

If your goal is to be a top 20 school (or whatever) according to some magazines, you are going to work to create a situation that the magazines find meaningful

If your mission is something else, then you are going to work to create the situation to accomplish that mission.

Small class sizes, research grants, high grad rates, etc?***

May 20, 2011, 12:15 PM

Doesn't always work that way

May 22, 2011, 9:07 PM

sometimes small class sizes aren't good.

Again, it depends on a lot of various factors.

Snore......***********

May 20, 2011, 3:32 PM [ in reply to It's quite possible that ]

Orange Googlers Unite

Unfortunately at the end of the day

May 19, 2011, 6:09 PM

your degree is no more valuable than a similar degree from Carolina.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Unfortunately at the end of the day

May 19, 2011, 6:14 PM

Well - it always depends.

it generally depends a lot more on you and your personality - than the name on your degree. This isn't always the case- but for the vast majority the name on the degree simply doesn't matter as much as people think it does.

My former boss would only hired people from his college- a very small midwestern school. He hired them because that was his school and that's what counted to him. He turned down virtually everyone else, regardless of their resume.

That's true

May 19, 2011, 6:52 PM

it can make a difference if the person doing the hiring

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That makes zero sense.***

May 24, 2011, 11:33 AM

I think it's more about what you graduated with

May 19, 2011, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Unfortunately at the end of the day ]

Clemson has strong departments in engineering, construction, etc vs. SC's business school.

That being said, both prepare students well for careers in the real world. Your degree is just the start and possibly a stepping stone towards getting into a good company from the start. After that, its what you do that matters.

Re: I think it's more about what you graduated with

May 19, 2011, 10:26 PM

I think that is true- depending on your profession.

Most of the successful people that I know and work with -aren't working in the field in which they earned their degree.

SC's business school is no better than any other business

May 24, 2011, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I think it's more about what you graduated with ]

school. A business degree has as much worth as the desire, intution and drive in the individual - a degree makes almost no difference in that field.

And don't let those yard birds fool you; the only thing rated #1 in the nation is their PhD in international business.

I love that commercial they had a few years back with a high school student proclaiming "I'm going to USC to major it international business! It's number one in the nation!"

Oh really? So you're skipping undergrad and going straight for that doctorate?

#### USuC. #### everything about them.

Re: Unfortunately we have coots...

May 19, 2011, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately at the end of the day ]

spreading their propaganda on a Clemson website. Clemson was a better school when my father applied in the early 1950s and nothing has changed.

It is like being the tallest midget. NC, Fla and Georgia

May 19, 2011, 9:33 PM

Kill SC in education

That just is not factual

May 20, 2011, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately at the end of the day ]

All you have to do is call the Medical University of South Carolina and ask to speak to the director of admissions for medical school there. She will tell you that a degree from Clemson is weighted well above a degree from South Carolina when they are looking at applications. Only Clemson, Furman and Wofford amongst state schools get the highest rating. South Carolina falls below those in a group with I believe Winthrop and maybe Presbyterian. Interestingly College of Charleston and, surprising to me, Citadel are at the bottom.

One can be successful with a degree from either institution but there is no doubt that a degree from Clemson has more "value" than a comparable one from South carolina- all other things equal

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would you mind obtaining documentation

May 20, 2011, 11:01 AM

Of that?

Re: would you mind obtaining documentation

May 20, 2011, 11:09 AM

You don't know how to pick up the phone?

I can vouch for what sleepdoc said about MUSC admissions.

May 24, 2011, 4:14 PM [ in reply to would you mind obtaining documentation ]

They give each applicant an overall score, based on GPA, test scores, extracurricular involvement, etc. The GPA from Clemson applicants gets 0.5 added to it when computing the score, regardless of major. Not so for applicants from the University of South Carolina.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That's objectively not true

May 20, 2011, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately at the end of the day ]

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2010/jul/08/income-value-clemson-degree-gets-healthy-ranking-s/?print=1

Clemson, with a large presence in engineering and related degrees, which tend to pay more, ranked 135th nationally, the best for a public, four-year degree in South Carolina. The study found that it cost Clemson students $101,400 to graduate, but they earned $820,800 over the 30 years. Clemson also had a high graduation rate, 79 percent, which is important for the ranking because more students graduated, got jobs and counted in the study. PayScale gives no credit for students who drop out.

By comparison, the University of South Carolina ranked 465th nationally, with four-year grads earning $440,900 more over 30 years than a high school graduate. The cost to attend USC, however, was lower, at $94,430, according to the study.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's objectively not true

May 20, 2011, 11:51 AM

That study doesn't relate to my assertion

not according to this article. Clemson > than USC, again.

May 20, 2011, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately at the end of the day ]

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2010/jul/08/income-value-clemson-degree-gets-healthy-ranking-s/?print=1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not according to this article. Clemson > than USC, agai

May 20, 2011, 11:50 AM

Would be interested in seeing the methodology of that study

Its funny because coots question EVERY SINGLE.....

May 20, 2011, 12:19 PM

Ranking, study or publication that ranks Clemson ahead of USC (Which is all of them). You're going to have to just come to the realization (I know reality isn't your strong point) that Clemson is a better school than USC. Is a USC degree worthless? No but it isn't worth more than Clemson's just like Clemson's isn't worth more than GT or UNC. I have no problem admitting it and I hate GT and UNC.

I'll concede that point when a study is posted

May 20, 2011, 1:10 PM

that shows that when two equal candidates interview for a position the person with a Clemson degree gets the jobs significantly more than the Carolina graduate.

Or that a Clemson degree gives the edge to a lesser qualified individual over a more qualified Carolina graduate.

No you won't...Liar...***

May 20, 2011, 4:22 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why you don't argue with chickens.***

May 23, 2011, 8:12 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snore Yawn***********

May 20, 2011, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately at the end of the day ]

Orange Googlers Unite

UNC?***

May 24, 2011, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately at the end of the day ]

In other news....

May 19, 2011, 8:38 PM

South Carolina beats Clemson in football 29-7, basketball 64-60, and baseball two games out of three for the 2010-2011 academic year. This was an improvement on the previous academic year when South Carolina only managed to beat Clemson 34-17 in football and send Clemson's baseball team home from Omaha...and go on to win the national championship.

Re: In other news....

May 19, 2011, 10:24 PM

But all this will change soon and prolly take 40 yrs to do again.

Obvious troll is obvious***

May 20, 2011, 6:33 AM [ in reply to In other news.... ]

With so many dumb people going to that school...

May 20, 2011, 10:44 AM [ in reply to In other news.... ]

you're bound to find a few good athletes... right?

;)

null

Re: Let me say this as politely as possible...

May 20, 2011, 10:54 AM

This is just so much gibberish and is about like arguing about who has the brighter penny.

SC and Clemson have different missions. SC is the state university and has a responsibility to provide as wide range of education to the widest number of South Carolina residents. Hence it has multiple colleges in areas which Clemson never considered offering. In fact, because of its mission, SC would be an utter failure if it had a highly restrictive admissions policy. Clemson can have a higher admissions standard because of the selective education they offer. The one blight on Clemson was its 90s and early 2000s trend of overpopulation from out-of-state students, which resulted in the Bridge program. It is a state supported school after all.

And just a piece of advice from someone who studied at both and with 15 years consulting across the US, in the end nobody cares a whit where you went to school. Are you competent? I have made quite a living cleaning up the messes created by graduates from Stanford, Texas, UNC, on and on.....

Just take advantage of whatever education you lucky enough to get and realize that most of it is just primer...your real education will begin when you enter the workplace. And the best advice you can get when you enter the workforce, realize that YOU know absolutely nothing. Listen, watch and learn from people have been in the trenches for the past 40 years. It will save you 10 years of delay in getting ahead.

You use the term "state funded" quite loosely...

May 20, 2011, 10:59 AM

But I do agree with much of the other things you said.

One of my professors at Clemson said it best, "Employers look at your college degree as evidence that you can learn things, because much of what you learn in college will not be appicable to your job. However, the degree shows that you will be able to learn the new things they have to teach you."

null

State supported is probably a better word choice. nm

May 20, 2011, 11:03 AM

State supported is probably a better word choice.

considering Clemson receives less than

May 20, 2011, 3:50 PM

17% of its budget from taxpayer funding, even "state supported" is something of a stretch.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was placed in the bridge 2 years ago as well

May 20, 2011, 1:05 PM

and was also later accepted by clemson that april. clemson will always have higher standards than usc. but a main reason of that is USC has the resources for 30,000+ students while clemson has half that. and usc has the rep of a school where anyone can go to get their degree, while clemson is more of an elite school in the country.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson isn't exactly elite in a national perspective.***

May 24, 2011, 11:24 AM

May 20, 2011, 2:02 PM

Harvard,Yale,Clemson

May 20, 2011, 3:47 PM

TriCounty Tec, Greenville Tec, usuc

I just love it when everyone in the country: every professional and collegiate ranking service prove year after year after year that Clemson University is THE flagship university of the state of South Carolina and it just eats at gamecock fans.

Sorry dudes and dudettes, you hitched your star to a second rate university.....don't be throwing rocks at Clemson for being a better university.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take "which three schools are better than USuC," for 2000 Alex.

May 24, 2011, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson/USC admissions from a recent hs grad ]

nm

It is absolutely hilarious that USuC fans can't admit Clemson

May 24, 2011, 11:30 AM

is a better overall school. Sure USuC is great for things like journalism, education and equestrian (lol) but Clemson is overall the better institution. I have no problem admitting Ga Tech and Virginia are better schools than Clemson (in many ways). LMAO @ their denial.

so your argument is higher entrance standards

May 24, 2011, 1:00 PM

= better school?

Clemson obviously has higher entrance requirements but it's a stretch to use that to mean it is a better school.

Every 3rd party says Clemson is a better academic

May 24, 2011, 2:57 PM

institution.

What are you mumbling about now?

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic