Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
And while I'm on a roll... regarding OP and our program...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

And while I'm on a roll... regarding OP and our program...

Apr 10, 2010, 10:27 AM

Those of you asking "Did OP really leave us in better shape", and "OP screwed us", etc...

Are you still drunk from last night or just that stupid? This is a guy that took Clemson basketball to the NCAA three years in a row. We had four 20 win seasons in a row. Over the last 4 years, we were the THIRD best team in the ACC, only behind Duke and UNC. CLEMSON BASKETBALL was the 3rd best team in the ACC, based on winning %.

Now you can argue whether or not he had hit his ceiling all day. I personally, think he could have continued to win here... but I am also excited about the opportunity to bring someone else in... with the hopes of winning some postseason games ;)

All in all... if he was ready for another challenge, this could be good for both sides... particularly if we can get Drew or Capel in here.

But to ask "did he really help us" is one of the most ignorant statement/questions TNET has ever seen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: And while I'm on a roll... regarding OP and our program...

Apr 10, 2010, 10:31 AM

Yep. You pretty much summed it up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What Shyatt left behind

Apr 10, 2010, 10:33 AM

A raw Sharrod Ford. Olu Babalola, Akin Akingbala(who did play well the last half of his senior year), Shawan Robinson(decent) and an incoming Vernon Hamilton. Talk about a bare cubbard. I honestly don't think anyone transfers and I believe Thornton will come here, sounds like Clemson still is his choice if we don't totally blow the hire. That leaves 9 guys who can play. Far better off

Amen, brother. You saved me some typing this morning.***

Apr 10, 2010, 10:37 AM

Well said, plus the starters arn't losing p/u games in Fike***

Apr 10, 2010, 10:37 AM

I second that "Amen!". There is absolutely no comparison.

Apr 10, 2010, 10:39 AM

Has everyone forgotten the "Larry Shyatt Invitational"??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Did we finish third in the ACC this year?

Apr 10, 2010, 10:52 AM

How did we do in the ACC tournament against NC State? Considering that we split with NC State this past season, and we just barely managed to beat the time we did win, I'd say that OD left us at about the same level as Sidney Lowe and NC State.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

surely you have to be smarter than that...

Apr 10, 2010, 10:57 AM

the fact that you were able to create a user name and ID for TNET suggest you are smarter than that.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

And the fact that you had to resort to an ad hominem attack

Apr 10, 2010, 11:03 AM

suggests that perhaps you have no real response to my point.

Face it - the few quality wins we had this past season were negated by bad losses. And considering how we faltered at tournament time again, well... the facts speak for themselves regarding OP and his team this past season.

NC State?? Really??? They're terrible.

Did you not read the part about...

Apr 10, 2010, 11:06 AM

20 win seasons... NCAA tourney appearnces... highest winning % behind only Duke and UNC...

show me another Clemson coach that has accomplished those...

not even Barnes

That's a little more comprehensive

Apr 10, 2010, 11:51 AM

Than reviewing one season series with State. I'm with york on this one.

Re: That's a little more comprehensive

Apr 10, 2010, 12:13 PM

OD LEFT the program. That's what I'm talking about here. He did have some success beating up on the big east additions, he had a great win over a down Duke team, he got us to the ACCCG (his greatest accomplishment, IMO). But considering the fact that we PLAY MORE GAMES NOW than in the past, and that, at the end, he lost to an AWFUL team in THIS YEAR'S ACC tournament and YET AGAIN lost to a lower seeded team in the dance, overall I'm just not that impressed with where we are now as a program.

Purnell was certainly an improvement over the Shyatt we had to suffer through previously. But is that really good enough for y'all? Really? OD had arguably his best player this year as a senior, he was 7 years into his career here, and he still faltered at crunch time, again.

If you're disappointed that we lost him, then I'm sorry for your disappointment. With OD's departure I see a real opportunity for Clemson to get a coach who can be a more consistent factor in the ACC and actually have some success in the NCAA tournament. That's what I want to see out of my coach. IMO it was CLEAR that we weren't going to get that with OD. He was facing a real test next season with young players that showed very little development as freshmen and without the one player that he's coached who has shown the potential to make an NBA roster. His players were disillusioned with him and his coaching philosophy, and have said as much; us that not telling?

Title should have been "I thought the discussion was about.

Apr 10, 2010, 12:15 PM

where OD left the program". Sorry. When you go back and edit, post title reverts to Re: ...

Re: That's a little more comprehensive

Apr 10, 2010, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: That's a little more comprehensive ]

For every great moment, we had 2 embarrassing losses that discredited us as a program. Texas A&M, Illinois (which ESPN never let us forget), NC State, etc.

I don't wanna namecall, but

Apr 10, 2010, 12:29 PM [ in reply to That's a little more comprehensive ]

You gotta be blind, stupid, or in a coma to deny Purnell did a FANTASTIC job here, one of the best runs EVER at our school ..Plus he left us on solid footing for the next guy.

Of course york is correct, but it's like saying "the sun is hot" and then some clown coming along trying to say that's not true.

Yea, the everything york said is 100% correct, but

Apr 10, 2010, 12:59 PM

it's been posted over and over again, just re-worded. If people dont understand what he done for the program by now, they never will.

I don't wanna namecall either Stanley, but...

Apr 10, 2010, 3:46 PM [ in reply to I don't wanna namecall, but ]

If you think that losing to NC State in the first round of the ACC tournament and getting beat by a lower-seeded team AGAIN in the NCAA tourney equates FANTASTIC, then I think you aren't the one to be questioning anyone's intelligence. He brought us up from mediocre to average. That's fantastic? Really??? A lot of coaches could have done that considering how sad the state of affairs was with our hoops program when he came in.

If you'll take the time to read what I said, you'll see that I CLEARLY stated that Purnell was an improvement over the guy he replaced. That isn't saying much, at least not in my opinion. So, did he leave us in better shape than he found us? Yes. Fantastic job? Not really. He left with a lot still to prove, and with a lot still undone.

It obvious...

Apr 11, 2010, 10:15 PM

You have clearly missed the big picture.. and OP's accomplishments relative to Clemson's history. All he left undone was some tourney success, but otherwise, relatively speaking, he did a FANTASTIC job at Clemson.

Here's a list of facts.

Apr 10, 2010, 12:25 PM [ in reply to And the fact that you had to resort to an ad hominem attack ]

1. The basketball program is in much better shape than it was.

Good summary.***

Apr 10, 2010, 11:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was so 3 days ago,find something new to waste

Apr 10, 2010, 11:53 AM

everyones time with,please.

Re: That was so 3 days ago,find something new to waste

Apr 10, 2010, 12:30 PM

Much like when Bowden resigned, I think we are better off having had Purnell as a coach.

Similarly, I hope we find someone that can finish the job his predecessor could not...

But we are eff'd if TDP/Barker botch this hire. Hire Drew!!***

Apr 10, 2010, 3:00 PM

Re: But we are eff'd if TDP/Barker botch this hire. Hire Drew!!***

Apr 10, 2010, 3:02 PM

don`t net on #### barker ever doing the right thing where our sports team are concerned!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no doubt, but i'm trying to be optimistic***

Apr 10, 2010, 3:52 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic