Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The bashing of TDP is getting a little ridiculous...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

The bashing of TDP is getting a little ridiculous...

Apr 9, 2010, 9:13 AM

It's idiotic, moronic, and ignorant to assume that TDP is down to two candidates... Bradley and Skinner. It's even worse to throw him under the bus for a hire he hasn't made yet.

The majority of you guys are showing your ignorance by suggesting that b/c TDP hasn't contacted "your guy" or someone like Bill Self, then he's incapable of making a good hire.

You don't become the AD at Ark., OKST, and Clemson unless you have some sense.

Idiots

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I'm sorry...

Apr 9, 2010, 9:21 AM

You interupted me. I'm trying to finish my application to TDP... "Yes, can work weekends"

The frustration is not coming from just this coaching search

Apr 9, 2010, 9:22 AM

This is a fan base that has watched our athletic program decline in most areas for quite some time now. The lack of confidence is easy to understand. When we hear the first interview is Skinner, it is not shocking that people begin to get a bit angry.

Re: The frustration is not coming from just this coaching search

Apr 9, 2010, 9:48 AM

Disagree; how is our athletic program in decline?? Better off than we were 10 years ago (basketball, football). Actually soccer is probably the only program that has declined over the past years - we were national championship contenders.

We have not won an ACC championship in football since 92

Apr 9, 2010, 9:54 AM

And have not won many in any of the other sports. That should be the goal of all our teams at the begining of the season and it is not happening.

I am willing to give TDP the benefit of the doubt.....

Apr 9, 2010, 9:22 AM

primarily because I really don't have much of a choice. That said, I just hope he does a better job than he did replacing Jim Davis or Christy McKinney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The bashing of TDP is getting a little ridiculous...

Apr 9, 2010, 9:24 AM

Don't call 'em ignorant...ignorant can be fixed. Call them stupid. It is a more long term condition.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

york tiger - what do you think of the Skinner and Bradley

Apr 9, 2010, 9:27 AM

interviews? In this instant age of communication, it is hard not to react when you see candidates being interviewed or promised interviews that do not inspire confidence.

I understand that they are not the only candidates, but they are the only confirmed interviews so far(Brownell too).

What do you think of the interviews? Do you really want one of them here?

I'm not saying that at all... I just think it's idiotic

Apr 9, 2010, 9:31 AM

to assume they are the only candidates. Of course TDP is going to do several interviews. Skinner is a guy that has been to the NCAA 7 of the last 10 years and won 5 of those years. For all we know, Skinner may have contacted Clemson with interest. Bradley is the top assistant on staff. Why wouldn't you interview them?

You guys think that everyone "wants" to come to Clemson. What if TDP contacted 4-5 "big name" guys, and they all declined interviews?

The point is... no one knows what he's thinking or what direction he's leaning. We don't even know who has been contacted, or who has contacted Clemson.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

It is the only candidates we know so far...

Apr 9, 2010, 9:58 AM

and this is an internet message board - instant reaction to new information. If you want to wait until we know all of the information, the don't log on for a while.

You want to give TDP the benefit of the doubt and we do not - that is the only difference here.

Brownell of Wright St has interviewed as well

Apr 9, 2010, 11:50 AM

good, young coach

Re: I'm not saying that at all... I just think it's idiotic

Apr 9, 2010, 10:21 AM [ in reply to I'm not saying that at all... I just think it's idiotic ]

Well, you are right about no one knows what TDP is thinking. Maybe that's the rub.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize.....

Apr 9, 2010, 9:33 AM [ in reply to york tiger - what do you think of the Skinner and Bradley ]

that some candidates will be interviewed as a courtesy while others will be interviewed in order to accommodate a certain coaches association whose primary motivation is dictated by factors other than which applicant is most qualified. At the end of the day I doubt that either Bradley or Skinner are being given an real serious consideration.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do realize.....

Apr 9, 2010, 9:34 AM

please bigcu, dont ruin the misery for these idiots that think we would even think about hiring either of these guys.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...nice !!!***

Apr 9, 2010, 9:37 AM

I don't particularly get excited over a Skinner hire, but I

Apr 9, 2010, 9:39 AM [ in reply to You do realize..... ]

can't sit here and say that he isn't a serious candidate. He has a lot in his history to recommend him.

null

His last three years at BC do not bode well for him

Apr 9, 2010, 9:45 AM

where he finished 11th, 6th and 8th respectively in league play. He wasn't getting it done at BC and I don't think he would fare any better at Clemson.

I agree and I hope that's not the way we go, but I wouldn't

Apr 9, 2010, 9:50 AM

go so far as to say that he isn't a serious candidate.

null

I'm just hoping TDP is smarter than that.***

Apr 9, 2010, 9:56 AM

LOL So you're saying there were not any black coaches

Apr 9, 2010, 9:57 AM [ in reply to You do realize..... ]

to interview that would not have been a complete waist of time?

Skinner is currently unemployed....

Apr 9, 2010, 10:02 AM

so he's got some spare time on his hands.

True. But I would hope TDP is a touch busy.***

Apr 9, 2010, 10:03 AM

Skinner's convenient.

Apr 9, 2010, 10:14 AM

You don't have to ask an athletic director for permission, you don't have to be ultra-secretive so that his existing fan base isn't put out.

You call his agent, get a low-cost place to meet, and make it happen.

And a check-in-the-box is fulfilled.

From all reports Shaka Smart is on our real list.

Apr 9, 2010, 10:20 AM

Along with Mike Davis at UAB. Would they not have us covered?

They could, but we could also never get to them.

Apr 9, 2010, 11:46 AM

Neither of those individuals are particularly attractive candidates, so why not take a low-cost alternative to achieve a goal that must be accomplished, and from this point let the search dictate who you interview?

Seems pretty simple.

He deserves to be bashed after all of the dumb@ss hires ...

Apr 9, 2010, 9:42 AM

and contract extensions he has made. Why the heck are we pursuing a coach that couldn't even hack it at Boston College?? Seems to me that it wouldn't be very hard to recruit in a city like Boston and he still couldn't do it.

I don't want Skinner... but did you know...

Apr 9, 2010, 9:47 AM

He has been to the NCAA 7 of the last 10 years and won in the first round 5 of those years. He also has a couple of Big East championships.

Doesn't sound like the guy you are rambling about, does it.

Re: He deserves to be bashed after all of the dumb@ss hires ...

Apr 9, 2010, 9:52 AM [ in reply to He deserves to be bashed after all of the dumb@ss hires ... ]

Skinner doesn't like to recruit and apparently didn't even try after his chief recruiter accepted a head coaching job. This year's BC team did not have a single scholarship freshman on it, not even one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh. What dumb@ss hires? I'll give you Cynthia McKinney was

Apr 9, 2010, 12:28 PM [ in reply to He deserves to be bashed after all of the dumb@ss hires ... ]

a bad hire but at the time, she was a very hot name in coaching. Other than that, he hired OP who was the must successful basketball coach in Clemson history. He hired Dabo who only accomplished in his first year what Bowden couldn't do in 10.

Its too early to make any comment on the Coleman hire but she was a very hot name. Hiring her was the equivalent of hiring Will Muschamp or Jimbo Fischer for football- the hot assistant.

Keep chasing those windmills, Steve!

Re: Uh. What dumb@ss hires? I'll give you Cynthia McKinney was

Apr 9, 2010, 2:15 PM

Well, let's see. The conference hasn't been split ten years. Maybe 3 or 4. As far as being able to not have to win it outright. It would have been nice to have an Atlantic and Coastal championship though.

Re: The bashing of TDP. I know why.

Apr 9, 2010, 9:50 AM

TDP hasn't done much at Clemson to raise the overall success of the Tiger sports programs. OP was his only decent hire. Dabo looks good now, but who knows in the long run. His first interviews for a basketball coach are a joke. No one in his right mind wants Skinner or Bradley as the head BB coach.

While I agree that we need to reserve judgment until the matter is done, it is obvious that TDP had no short list. Given his entire past at Clemson, we "TDP bashers" are simply not optimistic about who TDP will hire.

Re: The bashing of TDP. I know why.

Apr 9, 2010, 10:28 AM

Agreed...look at his total body of work at Clemson...only thing is the hire of Purnell and that was his second, maybe, choice. Bungled every other hire. Every sport has dangled or declined during his tenure. He is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. His second "national search" is quickly becoming a joke. IPTAY is way down, season tix for football is down...on and on and on...let him bungle this hire and whatever OP built will be Shytted in short order...and yes, I am a billy bob phillips basher, have been for over 4 years. Worst leader we have had...makes bobby robinson look like a genius...sad....

tb says thanks

Apr 9, 2010, 10:11 AM

for the continued support of tdp he has $3.5M reasons to agree.

TDP didn't want Bowden back.. he was gonna let him go***

Apr 9, 2010, 10:13 AM

my list

Apr 9, 2010, 10:22 AM

1. Stevens

2. Marshall
3. Smart
4. Martin
5. Skinner

Re: my list

Apr 9, 2010, 10:23 AM

6. Bradley

Apr 9, 2010, 10:24 AM

and Horace Grant. (not sure what number he would be)

Apr 9, 2010, 10:29 AM

not many people have mentioned Horace Grant; but he is one of Clemson's most recognizable basketball players, he has won multiple NBA championships, was teammates with the new president of the Charlotte Bobcats. (closest NBA franchise)

Not sure if he has any interest or coaching experience, but he seems to have a number of things going for him that others don't IMO.

Why would we hire a coach with no coaching experience?

Apr 9, 2010, 10:32 AM

We would never do that for football.

Re: Why would we hire a coach with no coaching experience?

Apr 9, 2010, 10:35 AM

if we can't get Stevens, (seems to be the case) seems like we might do well to consider Horace Grant as head coach and Bruce Martin and possibly Bradley as assistants...

just my 2 cents.

Re: TDP didn't want Bowden back.. he was gonna let him go***

Apr 9, 2010, 10:29 AM [ in reply to TDP didn't want Bowden back.. he was gonna let him go*** ]

And that is not true..he ran back to Clemson to make sure he gave him a large extension so he couldnt run off to arkansaa...the man is a moron...

source?***

Apr 9, 2010, 10:30 AM

Re: source?***

Apr 9, 2010, 10:34 AM

an IPTAY board member told me at the national meeting...as we were talking with a board of trustee member to voice our displeasure with our AD and his methods!

Well...

Apr 9, 2010, 12:47 PM

there hasn't been anything interesting to talk about in months! I'm jacked up on Mountain Dew!

Re: The bashing of TDP is getting a little ridiculous...

Apr 9, 2010, 1:51 PM

The bashing is warranted. Anyone who saw the pathetic, rambling, unconfident performance he put on in that press conference the other day could see that. Remember.....you are talking about the very genius that let Bowden pull the wool over his eyes with some bogus interest he generated with Arkansas and got his big raise.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic