Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo gave me a tour of the WEZ several days ago...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,797

Dabo gave me a tour of the WEZ several days ago...

Aug 8, 2009, 4:55 AM

and it was AWESOME!

I was fortunate to be included in a small group of folks who advertise during football radio broadcasts. Part of the deal, which included recording commercials for the upcoming season, was a 30 minute meeting with Dabo in his office.

He engaged us as if we were long lost friends. As we have come to expect, he was upbeat, positive and downright enjoyable.

Near the end of the 30 minute visit, he said, "Y'all be sure to walk around the WEZ and make yourselves at home. This place is great! Take a self guided tour. HECK, I'll take you. Come on!"

For the next 30 minutes Dabo played tourguide.

We passed by McCorvey, Powell, Scotts, Pearman and found Napier holed up in an office. Napier said, "Pardon the mess, but the pallet on which my dry erase boards were got dropped. Eventually we'll have dry erase boards from floor to ceiling." I could envision the plays that win championships scrawled from top to bottom.

We walked through the coaches' locker room and into the players lockerromm. Dabo had said 20 minutes earlier that "never again will we lose a recruit do to the WOW factor!" I have to believe he is correct. I lingered at the back of the line long enough to say grace over CJ's shoes when I passed locker #28.

The training room was great...let's hope it is not needed much, except to tape ankles and such.

The team meeting room was an ampitheatre with 158 wide leather chairs and a video/audio control panel that could handle a rock and roll concert. Dabo explained that they also have scaled down versions for offensive and defensive meeting rooms.

There were some great graphics that adorned the hallway walls and, according to Dabo, more are on the way.

We were locked out of the weight room but we could see through the glass walls that the place was fancy.

I cannot imagine CTB or any other major college coach taking the time to play tour guide...and he certainly would not have been the kid in the candy store, as Dabo clearly was.

Dabo wants the practice fields moved to Lot 5 and a museum added so the Clemson family can take interactive tours of the history of Clemson football. What impressed me was he mentioned names like Stuckey, Fuller and others. It was obvious he has embraced our past moreso than some others ever did.

And he was excited about the 500 lb stuffed tiger that will be placed in the middle of the foyer of the new facility. The tiger once lived at the Spartanburg zoo, he said. Once it arrives, it will be visible to the outside world through the glass walls.

When Dabo's tour was complete, I and one other went to see Terry Don Phillips. We were ushered into his office and right there on the corner of his desk was a manilla envelope titled "ACC OFFICIATING STUDY."

Thank God someone up there gets it. As he said, "It's been bad for a long long time."

TDP was absolutely great! He told us that the parking deck in lot 5 was DEAD. And that it did not take long to kill it.

He said twice that Bill D'Andrea is the best he's ever worked with.

Somewhere during our 1 hr visit with him, he said, "Fellas, y'all are the highlight of my day." Probably b/c we were not complaining to him. I believed him, b/c at one point he physically blocked the door so that we could not leave.

TDP echoed a sentiment of mine when he told us that "all Dabo's got to do is win a national title and they'll make a movie about him."

Anyhow, it was a day for the ages for my cousin and I, both lifelong diehard Tiger fans. We left feeling as good as we ever have in Tigertown. And we spent a combined 13 years in school there.

It was great to see that my IPTAY dues and other donations, along with those of many others, have helped our program tremendously.

GO TIGERS!!! and don't you dare pass up the opportunity to tour the WEZ if given the chance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw the WEZ a couple of weeks ago. It is incredible!

Aug 8, 2009, 5:16 AM

Thanks for your story.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I saw the WEZ a couple of weeks ago. It is incredible!

Aug 8, 2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for your report. It should be obvious to EVERYONE that Clemson is in very good hands right now from the President right down to guys who mow the grass in Death Valley. If you aren't optimistic about Clemson you are not all in. GO TIGERS!

Re: Thanks for sharing.***

Aug 8, 2009, 5:59 AM

Thanks for sharing, great Info!! NOW SPOT The DAMM BALL!***

Aug 8, 2009, 8:01 AM

Passion is not a gimmick. Thanks for sharing this

Aug 8, 2009, 9:04 AM

story with us all. After playing and coaching high school football I can honestly say that a coaches attitude makes you dig deep when it counts the most. We got the right man for the job and time will prove that. I am excited about Clemson football again not because I think that we have a coach that will take us to a BCS in his first year, but rather he has the desire and the fire. Passion is not a gimmick.

I really enjoyed reading that and I thank you for sharing it

Aug 8, 2009, 9:54 AM

I only wish I could see the inside of what I spend 2 years photographing. Of course, I've never asked. But I suppose if I ask they might remember I was also the reason for the purple scoreboard fiasco.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean lavander, don't you? :-)***

Aug 9, 2009, 12:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wish I could give an extra point for your prayer at 28locker***

Aug 8, 2009, 10:48 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ken

Great story! Thanks so much for sharing. Dabo is special.***

Aug 8, 2009, 11:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Thanks for sharing but of course I hate you now!!

Aug 8, 2009, 11:29 AM

jealousy is an ugly ugly thing

;)

Seriously - great story - I'm psyched for the season!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,797
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic