Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1:00 pm Sept. games are insane.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

1:00 pm Sept. games are insane.

Sep 10, 2007, 1:01 PM

When TV does not determine game times, it is crazy to schedule a 1:00 pm game. Lives are at risk in that heat (especially those over 65). The stadium is always dead. A third of the seats are empty. Kids are miserable. I realize that Clemson is not in a Metropolitan area like Cootlumbia. I realize that our fans drive from further distances, but we have got to change this 1:00 traditional thing for games in Sept. Maybe 3:30, 4:30, or 5:30 start times would be better. Clemson should survey season ticket holders and find out their preference for these early HOT Sept. games. The stadium was half full in the 2nd half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!

Sep 10, 2007, 1:04 PM

There is also no time to tailgate before the game and given how flat the crowd is at Noon and 1:00 pm starts I am sure it cost us a win or two each year - remember Maryland last year!

When the Coots get something right before us...

Sep 10, 2007, 1:05 PM

you know its BAD.

well not usin' this as an excuse, but

Sep 10, 2007, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Amen! ]

I feel that if the MD or USC game were at night we might have pulled those off...............It didn't help either that Clemson's fall break was the md game.

It also didn't help that Clemson was drubbed the week before

Sep 10, 2007, 1:07 PM

We went from the Orange Bowl to oh-no that Thursday night.

Even if the Maryland game was at night, it would have felt like a funeral.

A lot went wrong last year

Sep 10, 2007, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Amen! ]

but we've been playing day games forever and it hasn't cost us. Va Tech was a night game last year too.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

I've wondered that for years........

Sep 10, 2007, 1:04 PM

USC schedules their "cupcake" games at night. why can't we?.......I don't care if it is tradition with 1 o clock games, but it's ridiculous.

Agreed.

I said the same thing last week, basically.

The proponents of Noon or 1:00 kickoffs will say they can get home early in the day, watch other games around the country, and/or they don't have to wait around all day for the game to start.

Personally, I'd prefer 5:00 or 6:00 kickoffs in September and early October when possible.

We had a middle-age lady pass out two rows in front of us on Saturday. It was not a pleasant site. The people around her were panicking and thought she was gone. Luckily she woke up and was fine and left the game after that.

I think your survey is a good idea.

I prefer 12:30***

I remember a couple of seasons ago they did move our

Sep 10, 2007, 1:10 PM

September non-TV games to 5:00... I wonder why they went back to 1?! 5 was much better. Even thought it was still hot, it wasn't under the glaring sun.

Saturday I remembered to put sunscreen on everywhere - except for the back of my neck/shoulders. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Let's just say my skin is STILL the color of the coots jerseys! Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Hmm, dont remember that...

Sep 10, 2007, 1:14 PM

I don't remember non televised games being anything other that 1:00pm and that goes back to the 80's. What year are you referring to?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Furman and MTSU back in 2003 I believe

Sep 10, 2007, 1:26 PM

I know for a fact Furman was 5pm

FINALLY found it!

Sep 10, 2007, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Hmm, dont remember that... ]

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/060303aaa.html

Tentative Game times Announced For First Three Clemson Home Games

Georgia game tentatively set for 12:00 noon

June 3, 2003

The Clemson athletic department has announced tentative kickoff times for its first three home football games of the 2003 season. Kickoff times won't be final until various television networks make their broadcast decision in June.

The Clemson vs. Georgia game has been tentatively set for a 12:00 noon kickoff. It is anticipated that one of the television networks will broadcast that game live. It will be the Bulldogs first trip to Clemson since 1995. The Bulldogs defeated the Tigers 31-28 in a night game in Athens to open the 2002 season, the 11th time in the last 16 meetings that the outcome has been decided by a touchdown or less.

The Clemson vs. Furman game of September 6 and the Clemson vs. Middle Tennessee game of September 13 have been tentatively scheduled for a 5:00 PM kickoff. The Furman game will be Hall of Fame Day, while the Middle Tennessee game has been designated as Youth Day. Neither game is expected to be on live television.

"With an average mid-day temperature in the mid-80s in Clemson for the first two weeks of September, we thought it was necessary to move the kickoff time for non-televised games to late afternoon," said Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips. "We are sensitive to weather issues that time of the year for our fans.
At the same time, this will give our fans who come from long distances time to return home the same day."

Clemson's home games with Virginia (Oct. 11, Homecoming), North Carolina (October 25, Parents Day), Florida State (November 8) and Duke (Nov. 15, Military Appreciation Day), will be announced 12 days prior to the game.

For ticket information, fans my call 1-800-CLEMSON or order through the Clemson website, clemsontigers.com

Message was edited by: clemsonsuzi®

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

That Georiga game should have been at five. It was brutal***

Sep 10, 2007, 1:50 PM

True, It was maybe in Bowden's 2nd or 3rd year?

Sep 10, 2007, 1:21 PM [ in reply to I remember a couple of seasons ago they did move our ]

I remember the AD referencing heat as a reason for the move. I thought we did it for 2 seasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure some of it has to do with money

Sep 10, 2007, 1:14 PM

Concession stands make a crapton in games like this past week's.

I don't really understand someone passing out from the heat. They have fans going where they sell all the food and drinks, and they put a good amount of ice in the drinks. Granted you have to pay a lot, but that should be expected at a football game.

While I would prefer a later game and agree with some of the comments above, I also think that some of the people complaining about the earlier games simply don't prepare, even though they know good and well what the conditions will be.

"Raise your hand if you're envisioning Charlie Brown trying to kick that football and Lucy yanking it away right at the last minute.

That's South Carolina football in a nutshell."

- December 24, 2007 ESPN article: "Gamecocks face more difficult SEC schedule in 2008"

Clemson is in the Greenville metropolitan area.

Sep 10, 2007, 1:16 PM

I realize that your point is that Clemson isn't in downtown urban area like USC, but it is part of a metro area of over 1 million people. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

S-T-R-E-T-C-H***

Sep 10, 2007, 1:19 PM

That's how the Census defined it in 2000, based on

Sep 10, 2007, 1:21 PM

commuting patterns and other factors. I just report the facts...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Why not 11:00 AM.. some teams do it******

Sep 10, 2007, 1:21 PM

Isn't 5 PM the hottest point of the day usually?

Sep 10, 2007, 1:26 PM

Sitting around in the heat all day and then going in to the game would be better?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

It gets cooler not hotter as the day goes on.

Sep 10, 2007, 1:32 PM

I can't believe someone has to explain this.

I meant to say as the game goes on , not the day.***

Sep 10, 2007, 1:34 PM

One would think one wouldn't have to...

Sep 10, 2007, 1:34 PM [ in reply to It gets cooler not hotter as the day goes on. ]

...KMA.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/hourbyhour/USSC0059?from=36hr_fcstHourLink_business

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Clemson takes awhile to catch on sometimes . . .***

Sep 10, 2007, 1:34 PM

my little girls can't go to these early games

Sep 10, 2007, 1:37 PM

it's entirely too hot for them. I have no idea what drives them to a hottest ###### part of the day roast in the sun kickoff but it really ruins the experience for children, thereby ruining the experience for adults

Let's start Faxing them!!!!!***

Sep 10, 2007, 1:43 PM

If you aren't standing behind our troops overseas, how about standing in front of them?!

Re: 1:00 pm Sept. games are insane.

Sep 10, 2007, 2:01 PM

The powers that be don't give a Shyatt about what the fans want.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic