Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers Top all ESPN projections
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Tigers Top all ESPN projections

Apr 4, 2018, 10:37 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23012587/college-football-playoff-big-12-espn-fpi-projections

Below is the excerpt about the Tigers.

Tigers on top

It's a Clemson sweep. In just about every projections category one can think of, the Tigers are the preseason leader.

Most projected wins? Check (11.4).

Best chance to win out through conference championships? Check (19 percent).

Best chance to win their conference? Check (69 percent).

Highest top-four Strength of Record chance? Check (54 percent).

In fact, Clemson's toughest game on the schedule right now is at Texas A&M on Sept. 8, a game the Tigers have a 76 percent chance to win.

This isn't a huge surprise after we revealed in February that the Tigers were No. 1 in our initial preseason FPI rankings (and still are, to be clear). But Clemson holds a substantial edge over the next-best team in many of these categories.

Alabama, for example, has a 40 percent chance at a top-four Strength of Record, 14 percentage points below the Tigers. Boise State has the second-best shot at winning its conference, with a 55 percent shot to win the Mountain West, and that's again 14 points below the Tigers.

All that talent the Tigers brought back, especially along the defensive front, combined with a lack of a major challenger in the ACC (Miami is the most likely candidate and is in the opposite division) means Dabo Swinney has his team in better position for another playoff run than any other team in the nation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TigerNet loves FPI now!

Apr 4, 2018, 11:12 AM

I've never had a negative opinion of FPI. It's simply another interesting tool with obvious flaws like any computer driven set of metrics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

ESPN finally likes us***

Apr 4, 2018, 11:24 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN finally likes us***

Apr 4, 2018, 12:50 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve always had a negative opinion about their FPI.

Apr 4, 2018, 8:47 PM [ in reply to TigerNet loves FPI now! ]

We beat Alabama for the National Championship and the FPI still had Bammer at #1. What kinda sense does that make?

Also, in the past I’ve made remarks on T-Net bout Arkansas being ranked in the top 25 for no reason at all. I haven’t looked at the current FPI, but I’m sure they are ranked higher than they should be. I’ve seen them be 5-4 and ranked #21. Huh? A loss to Toledo shouldn’t help you that much.

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FPI, and basically all advanced metrics, ignore win loss record

Apr 5, 2018, 8:43 AM

A 5-4 team can easily be in the top 25. There's usually at least one such team every year. Bama was ahead of us in every metric I saw two years ago (not just FPI) because we finished with the same record and they were much more dominant over the course of the season than we were.

Advanced metrics award dominance much more than just winning.

I think they are assuming

Apr 4, 2018, 12:30 PM

that Chase will be starting

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Tigers Top all ESPN projections

Apr 4, 2018, 1:00 PM

I think our game at FSU is a tougher game than at Texas A&M.

null

I agree. I’ll take @TAM early in the season with a new coach over

Apr 4, 2018, 2:19 PM

@FSU late in the season with a new coach. I think our returning DL is the difference in College Station. Come the end of October, Taggart will know what he’s working with.

Not that either will be pushovers. Honestly, Wake in Winston-Salem could be a challenge. They have a really good offense and that stadium has the reverse “amped up” effect. We’re not always “dialed-in” up there.

null

Fans

Apr 5, 2018, 1:19 PM

Its hard to get amped for an empty stadium
so lets fill it up with tiger nation

Apr 4, 2018, 8:19 PM

Wow, ESPN finally sees what I’ve always seen in Hunter Johnson, elite talent! He’s going to have an amazing season this year!!

Apr 4, 2018, 8:40 PM

I’d agree with this. I said last year after taking a look at the schedule for 2018, who is going to beat clemson? I mean, A&M will be a high profile game, but. It difficult with a young team and new coach. FSU will be a little better, but likely won’t be able to win. Other than that....absolute zero challengers. In part because clemson will be very strong again, and InPart because their schedule is quite easy. Notice that non of the top 10 “most important games in the cfp race” include Clemson....we really play no Marques games this year, unfortunately for us fans. On the bright side, it should mean another cfp appearance.

@BC in November will be the toughest

Apr 5, 2018, 10:06 AM

They now have some skill to go with their linemen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic