Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some of you need to face the facts: 2.0. If you only care...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Some of you need to face the facts: 2.0. If you only care...

Feb 17, 2010, 10:23 AM

about Clemson sports, namely football, then you don't really care about what Clemson really is. Clemson sports are an amazing thing to behold, but they are only a part of what makes Clemson the even more amazing thing it represents.

If you don't get that, then I don't want you screwing with my university. Just go to football/basketball games and leave the school alone for those of us who want Clemson to be the best institution it can be.

Clemson has enough problems overcoming the terrible financial support it gets from being located in the state of South Carolina, the last thing it needs is part of its own family trying to drag the school down for selfish, emotional reasons.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

poetic***

Feb 17, 2010, 10:33 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Without football.......Clemson is a scenic school by a lake

Feb 17, 2010, 10:38 AM

Clemson is what it is because of their football program/atomosphere/history

Clemson sports is only a part of Clemson University, but so is wings of a plane

I disagree with this line completely

Feb 17, 2010, 10:45 AM

"Clemson is what it is because of their football program/atomosphere/history"

Clemson is what it is because of its location, its charter, its military heritage, its people, its teachers, its faculty, its donors, its students, and its mission.

Footbal is a cool thing. Its a great thing at Clemson, and no doubt it has had an impact on Clemson. But it is by no means the wings on the plane. It may be the paint job, but the plane will still fly without it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one would know about Clemson w/out football, sorry.***

Feb 17, 2010, 10:51 AM

Yeah, but that'd be their loss. ******

Feb 17, 2010, 10:55 AM

null

it's not if their school has football/sports***

Feb 17, 2010, 10:57 AM

Yes. You think Clemson is a football program. I get it. *****

Feb 17, 2010, 11:02 AM

null

No i think clemson would be nothing w/o sports

Feb 17, 2010, 11:09 AM

we wouldn't be on the internet discussing this if it wasn't for clemson sports

I know FOR A FACT that i (and ALL my friends that went to clemson) wouldn't have gone to clemson had it not been for them having sports (football really)

and any rational fan would realize that and wouldn't even be a fan if sports didn't exist at clemson.

"Clemson would be nothing w/o sports"

Feb 17, 2010, 11:11 AM

Wow, thats quite a statement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up a Clemson fan my whole life and wanted to go there

Feb 17, 2010, 11:18 AM

my whole life. I graduated in 2008 from Clemson. If Clemson hadn't had sports (football the key one), then I wouldn't have gone to Clemson. This doesn't mean I'm not proud of my degree and my education. It just means that sports are very attractive to prospective students. And without sports, I would not have grown up coming to Clemson's campus my whole life. I also would not have been a fan of Clemson's without sports.

fair enough

Feb 17, 2010, 11:24 AM

No doubt there are folks as yourself who do so. However, I also grew up hearing all about how Clemson was an Awesome place fomr my father. Sure part of my interest was piqued by attedning games, but it was the stories of the school he attended, the opportunities Clemson gave him, and the man he became partly due to Clemson that made me want to attend Clemson.

The flip side of your story is I ran across a bunch of students who wanted to come to Clemson because of the academic opportunity, the spirit of the school (which to them was nothig athletic), and other intangibles which weren't athletically driven.

As I said before Athletics is a part of Clemson. However it is not the wings that fly the plane, and to think so (IMO is mistaking the cause for the effect.

I also knew several people who came for academics...

Feb 17, 2010, 11:30 AM

My dad went to Erskine and then went to Clemson for his Master's. So I didn't really have the stories or anything. What I had was going to Death Valley on fall Saturdays. That is what caught my interest and that is one of the main reasons why I chose Clemson. I know there are many people that choose Clemson just for academics, but there are also many who choose it because of athletics.

they might have come for the academics.......

Feb 17, 2010, 11:34 AM [ in reply to fair enough ]

and i know most of the exchange students come STRICTLY for academics and don't even know where death valley is

but MOST of those you knew that said they came for academics if asked would probably say they'd explore other avenues of education if clemson didn't have sports/football........georgia tech, Virginia,UNC etc....would be MORE appealing than clemson w/o sports

Conjecture there

Feb 17, 2010, 11:43 AM

We clearly disagree

clearly***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:44 AM

Clemson has an extremely competitive graduate school

Feb 18, 2010, 9:35 AM [ in reply to they might have come for the academics....... ]

and many of them don't care at all about football. I know a guy who just got a full ride at Yale for a PhD who is getting his masters at Clemson. He thinks what Barker is doing is great... because before Barker the department he is currently in NEVER placed people in Yale. Clemson's status in the academic community is on the steep incline and many sports only fans have no idea.

so the 9000 chicks there picked clemson because of sports?***

Feb 17, 2010, 2:02 PM [ in reply to I grew up a Clemson fan my whole life and wanted to go there ]

yes, more specifically for CJ****

Feb 17, 2010, 2:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha! Well, I agree. Fans wouldn't be fans without sports. ****

Feb 17, 2010, 11:12 AM [ in reply to No i think clemson would be nothing w/o sports ]

null

So who's Duke

Feb 17, 2010, 2:27 PM [ in reply to No i think clemson would be nothing w/o sports ]

without basketball?

Then you just don't get it.***

Feb 18, 2010, 9:20 AM [ in reply to No i think clemson would be nothing w/o sports ]

Less people would know

Feb 17, 2010, 10:57 AM [ in reply to No one would know about Clemson w/out football, sorry.*** ]

But Clemson would still be Clemson.

Re: Less people would know

without football clemson would be an Anderson or a Lander

without sports clemson would be a Greenville Tech or a Tri-County Tech

and that's not a slam to any of the mentioned schools (i actually went to anderson a year before transfering to clemson).....but yes by name it would still be "CLEMSON".......but it wouldn't really be "CLEMSON"

Again, we simply disagree***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:06 AM

ohhh bs pheebo... please.

Feb 17, 2010, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Less people would know ]

virginia tech is virginia tech not because of football. their football program sucked until 16 years ago, but i sure as he!! knew that their engineering program was very good.

clemson the same and many, many other universities.

it's education first and foremost no matter how loud you scream otherwise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm not talking about "good or bad" sports........

Feb 17, 2010, 11:12 AM

I'm talking about clemson having ZERO sports at all (football especially)

if zero sports existed schools would still be in the arms

Feb 17, 2010, 11:15 AM

race they are today for federal and private industry research grants.

it brings a #### load more money to universities than sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i agree.........w/o sports ANYWHERE it'd be like it was.....

Feb 17, 2010, 11:20 AM

back in the 1800s when sports didn't matter

but this day and age sports DO matter. Hypothetically get rid of just clemson sports and see where the university goes compared to others that that do have them

UNLESS you are an IVY league school it'd be tough to compete w/ other universities and still be the size and "aww inspiring" school that clemson is (to me) today.

like i said most if not all wouldn't care anything about clemson if they had no sports

but yes the world would go on if clemson got rid of sports.............maybe :)

lol pheebs. no #### dude. firefighters, policemen,

Feb 17, 2010, 11:28 AM

engineers, doctors, astronauts used to be childhood heroes.

take sports away from bama, uf, usc[the real one] and you could say the same.

the world if effed up... take sports away from the 'world' and the world would go on and thrive, take the 'world' away from sports and poof...

it's mageec...

But seriously, there is a HUGE distance between

Feb 17, 2010, 11:18 AM [ in reply to i'm not talking about "good or bad" sports........ ]

"take away all sports" and "Clemson is a football program first and everything else second."

Almost all schools have athletic programs. Those of us who want to keep them in the proper perspective relative to academics don't want sports to go away. We all love Clemson football and yes, that's why we chat on this board.

null

yes there is a big difference........but you take away just

Feb 17, 2010, 11:26 AM

football and the school will be DRASTICALLY impacted.....DRASTICALLY!!!

would clemson disappear?....no, but it would LOSE a ton........including MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY fans

Okay, but you should really stick to one argument.

Feb 17, 2010, 11:36 AM

The original poster wasn't calling for abolishing all sports...or any sports. So why are you making the issue?

I'm pretty sure that all Clemson fans, nearly all Clemson students and alumni, and the administration all agree that Clemson sports are a big part of Clemson. It's just a call to keep things in their proper perspective.

null

Re: Okay, but you should really stick to one argument.

Feb 17, 2010, 11:43 AM

the original poster talked about how sports is just a part of what makes clemson amazing

my point is that w/o sports it wouldn't be very "amazing"

and w/o sports it wouldn't be "our university"

I and most graduates wouldn't have a degree from clemson if they didn't have sports........b/c we wouldn't have gone there in the first place

You can use that argument for almost every university***

Feb 17, 2010, 12:17 PM

dude that's the most ridiculous thing you have ever posted***

Feb 17, 2010, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Less people would know ]

It would be a Clemson with alot less money***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Less people would know ]

how much did the AD clear in 2009?***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:16 AM

waiting...***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:31 AM

No doubt, it would be a different beast, but it'd be Clemson***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:16 AM [ in reply to It would be a Clemson with alot less money*** ]

time magazine disagrees.***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:03 AM [ in reply to No one would know about Clemson w/out football, sorry.*** ]

Re: time magazine disagrees.***

Feb 17, 2010, 2:27 PM

what?

head scratching......

notsureifserious

see linky...

Feb 17, 2010, 2:30 PM

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/genrel/082200aaa.html

WRONG..

Feb 17, 2010, 12:48 PM [ in reply to No one would know about Clemson w/out football, sorry.*** ]

One of the best Engineering schools in the South, and headquarters to NCEES. Clemson's educational reputation overtook it's sports rep a long time ago.

63-17

Bcause recognition visability from football lead the way!***

Feb 18, 2010, 10:32 AM

That's wrong, I didn't know a thing about Clemson football

Feb 17, 2010, 1:56 PM [ in reply to No one would know about Clemson w/out football, sorry.*** ]

until I came to school here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: That's wrong, I didn't know a thing about Clemson football

Feb 17, 2010, 2:28 PM

dude...

that MAY be the case but I promise you, you are by far and away in the minority on this one..

You have to leave the state of South Carolina once in a

Feb 17, 2010, 7:20 PM

while. I had to tell people where Clemson was whenever I went...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

If ur soccer crazy then you'd know CU is well known in the

Feb 18, 2010, 10:34 AM

midwest because of soccer.

i know you can't do this and will never happen...

Feb 17, 2010, 10:52 AM [ in reply to I disagree with this line completely ]

thank goodness

but

take away sports from clemson and see where it goes

step away from the "mushy" poetic things that portrays all things clemson......and think about clemson without sports (football especially)

It would have an impact, no doubt.

But thats not my argument.

I believe its a part of the school. I just don't believe that it is what MAKES the school what it is.

We disagree, and thats fine.

its a HUGE part of CU culture, HUGE!***

Feb 18, 2010, 10:35 AM

Re: I disagree with this line completely

Feb 17, 2010, 2:34 PM [ in reply to I disagree with this line completely ]

Dude outside of Football, no one knows where Clemson is.

Re: Without D. I football.......Clemson is Furman***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Without football.......Clemson is a scenic school by a lake ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

without football, clemson = furman/wofford/etc

Feb 17, 2010, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Without football.......Clemson is a scenic school by a lake ]

good schools but nation knows little about them

Without football, no one knows where Clemson is.

Feb 17, 2010, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Without football.......Clemson is a scenic school by a lake ]

null

Message was edited by: kelly9952®

without Clemson football the entire upstate economy

Feb 17, 2010, 10:49 AM

would be impacted.

I dont disagree with anything youve stated about being the best institution we can; however, Clemson Football means more to the University and the surround area than just a sport. Imagine the upstate economy without the football games ...

Ya know .... it is possible to have our cake and eat it to ..... Florida and UGA do it every every

impacted yes, but clemson football has not created the jobs

Feb 17, 2010, 10:55 AM

households that the county planning commission has.

the county has grown 50% since clemson's last acc title, so...

;)

Guess what...

Feb 17, 2010, 11:01 AM [ in reply to without Clemson football the entire upstate economy ]

Clemson isn't Florida or Georgia. Stop comparing Clemson to schools that are nearly twice its size and with significantly larger budgets. Lots of 1AA schools are larger than Clemson. Just because Clemson has an "SEC-caliber" football stadium doesn't make it an SEC school.

Last time I checked, Thomas Clemson's will doesn't mention athletics.

his will says something about polo matches***

Re: Guess what...

Feb 17, 2010, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Guess what... ]

you are a DA?

that was my guess

I agree...

If someone does not care about the University as a whole and understand that the athletes represent a institution of higher learning, then they are better off to go cheer for a professional team. For professional sports it is all about winning.

go raidas***

Football, the wings of the plane. Lol

Feb 17, 2010, 10:59 AM

There would be no football without the educational side. Yeah, Clemson wouldnt be as known without football, but yall do need to remember we are talking about a SCHOOL.

no they don't hawg.***

Feb 17, 2010, 11:17 AM

Who are you to come on here and say that YOUR way is the

Feb 17, 2010, 11:28 AM

only way to love Clemson. You are way out of line. Your opinion is important but not total. I love Clemson too. ACC not so much. \

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed. I didn't know there was a protocol for.........

Feb 17, 2010, 12:40 PM

all of our emotions. I thought I was free to love Clemson any way I wish.

I didn't mean to make it sound as if I thought there was a..

Feb 18, 2010, 9:24 AM

protocol for loving Clemson. What I meant to get across was "If you only care about football, then go to the games and keep your nose out of academics."

and...

Feb 18, 2010, 9:31 AM

that you (anyone who fits the description in the previous post) don't get what Clemson is all about. Sports is just the most flashy product of the Clemson spirit, and I love it dearly. But I feel bad for those who don't get to feel the entirety of what it means to be a part of the Clemson family. It goes far beyond sports. I think many of the fair weather/ NFL-type fans are such because they simply don't get it. Sucks for them.

Agreed!***

Feb 18, 2010, 9:46 AM [ in reply to I didn't mean to make it sound as if I thought there was a.. ]

Re: Some of you need to face the facts: 2.0. If you only care...

Feb 17, 2010, 11:32 AM

Sports gets your attention Clemson wins your heart.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Hello, short-sighted people...it is actually possible to

Feb 17, 2010, 1:19 PM

have a superior academic and research institution while also having a great football program. Football is what first introduced me to Clemson and is one of the biggest draws for me to go there -- twice -- for two degrees.

Sports doesn't take away ANYTHING from the academic aspects of the university nor its funding!!! In fact, sports is an addition. And there is NO WAY that the academic side could afford to buy the publicity/advertising that the football team provides.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a sweet fantasy really

Feb 17, 2010, 2:19 PM

but truth be told, the University doesn't survive as it is without football.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

What did I say that disagrees with that?

Feb 18, 2010, 9:22 AM

What fantasy are you talking about? Considering the reverse had much larger implications, I don't think your point detracts from mine.

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic