Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Im only 24, but maybe Im old fashioned...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Im only 24, but maybe Im old fashioned...

Aug 16, 2011, 1:59 PM

When I played FB in '05 at Clemson I wasnt any good. I made the team just so the 1st and 2nd stringers could beat up on me. But I promise you that I couldnt have worked any harder than I did. I was not on scholarship but went to all the workouts even if they were voluntary. I kept up with my grades, too. I knew I would never run down the hill bc I was buried on the depth chart, but I took pride in helping the team prepare. It was my job and I did it to the best of my ability. My question is, does it bother anybody else that every year we have players saying that theyre working harder than they did last year? Even Bowers said he was lazy his first 2 seasons before rededicating himself. Imagine if Bowers wouldve worked as hard his first two years as he did last year. He couldve set records where no DL would have ever touched them. Im very proud that he did do well his last year, but my point is that we have some guys who admit their leaving effort on the table at the end of the day. Why arent they working hard out of the gate? Im not b1tching, just perplexed that thus happens every year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good point, but...

Aug 16, 2011, 2:02 PM

I honestly think that is a personal thing. I'm not sure that the coaches can do anything about a player's work ethic until the player decides to do something about it. Call it a reckoning of sorts...

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The coaches can recruit players with good work ethics...

Aug 16, 2011, 6:32 PM

...and character. I believe CTB had the character part right for the most part but missed the work ethic and didn't hold them accountable. Our current coaching staff is driving all 3 traits. Just look at all of the articles about how much the freshmen are pushing the upperclassmen. "Soft" won't cut it anymore. You're a bada$$ or you won't play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

well, I have no idea - but maybe they feel like

Aug 16, 2011, 2:02 PM

whatever they do a more senior player will get played before them.

I hope the coaches really mean it when they say they are gonna put the best 11 on the field.

give the young guys a real shot at playing time if they are talented.

I like the comment that Morris said - why not play the young guys that have 3 more years of eligibility.

guys better step it up

null

Re: well, I have no idea - but maybe they feel like

Aug 16, 2011, 2:18 PM

I couldn't agree more. I remember beign frustrated in the Bowden days when he and Spence would leave in the Sr's at several positions when everyone knew their back-ups were better. See Cullen vs Proctor for example.

I like the best 22 on the field idea. If the coaches practice what they preach then they have my vote.

Re: well, I have no idea - but maybe they feel like

Aug 16, 2011, 2:45 PM

Except when Reggie Merriweather was running like a renegade freight train on the coots and he got yanked. I'll never forgive TB for that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Just wrote about Reggie at the bottom of the page, read it***

Aug 16, 2011, 3:08 PM

Me either. Wow I am just as mad today as I was then.

Aug 16, 2011, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: well, I have no idea - but maybe they feel like ]

Everyone watching that game knew that Reggie wasnt going to stop til he was in the endzone. Everyone except Tommy that is...

Ggggggggrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Re: Im only 24, but maybe Im old fashioned...

Aug 16, 2011, 2:05 PM

Maybe your self-assessment caused you to work so hard, while the guys with all the "stars" before their names thought it all came so easy (as it probably did during HS)that they would continue to stand out without working their tails off.Easy to do when you haven't grown up (matured) yet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2011, 2:07 PM

These guys are used to being the best player on the field for their high school and not having to play at their best every down to beat the competition. Stepping onto a field where everyone is better than you is a new concept for most of them. When you are use to giving 80% at every high school practice and still dominating it takes time to realize you have to give everything just to be relevant in the college game.

null

Agree with a lot of the above....

Aug 16, 2011, 2:13 PM

I think the problem is that many of these players keep hearing how great they are and they believe that they can just throw their helmet out on the field and be successful. This is the same mentality some teams have when playing "weaker" competition.

How many of us on here have contributed to the problem? How many posts have you read where the incoming freshmen would fix our WR problems, strengthen the LB corps? Did any of them say, if these new players have strong work ethics and give it their all at every practice, every workout, then they will contribute?

Maybe we generally assume that a player will have a strong work ethic. Maybe we just expect every player to give it 110% because we expect them to do so. Think about the people you know, friends, co-workers, family. How many of them have the dedication and work ethic that we expect or assume all of the players have? It is really not as common as we think.

That is why you have 2/3 star recruits become NFL starters and why 5 star recruits end up sweeping up the stadium or pumping gas. ;)

Human Nature

Aug 16, 2011, 2:14 PM

I agree with you but I thinks it's just human nature. Some of the guys cruise through doing just enough to get by until they feel like its their "time." Just knowing they aren't goint to play much, why bust a$$? The McNeal comments in today's article go right along with that.

I also think some of the higher ranked recruits feel entitled. They feel as though they've already "arrived" before playing a snap.

Boyd this spring was a good example. Morris asked him to draw a play on the board and he didn't know it. I would imagine he was pretty embarrassed. Based on what we're hearing from the coaches now its seems like the sense of urgency kicked in after that.

Not saying its right, just seems to be the way it is a lot of the time.

24-6=18

Aug 16, 2011, 2:18 PM

Did you just play one year? Freshman year?

Yes. I was a QB and reinjured my throwing shoulder...

Aug 16, 2011, 2:25 PM

Whcih I first injured while pitching in HS.

You placed Facebook at Clemson?***

Aug 16, 2011, 2:20 PM

Rudy???

Aug 16, 2011, 2:37 PM

Nah, juss kiddin

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish... that freaking guy got to play haha***

Aug 16, 2011, 2:41 PM

Haha good point! Glad you didn't get offended! Just the

Aug 16, 2011, 2:47 PM

first thing that came to mind.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So billiam since you played in 05' what was your

Aug 16, 2011, 2:49 PM [ in reply to I wish... that freaking guy got to play haha*** ]

opinion of TB and the way he coached? Favorite assistant/position coaches? Also what about the star players on that team - cool ones/ duetschy ones?

Interested in this if you will indulge us...

Thanks!

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: So billiam since you played in 05' what was your

Aug 16, 2011, 3:06 PM

TB was a great guy, but there were times when he would try to be tough and it just came off as corny. The idea that he didnt come down hard on us and didnt yell is far from the truth. We just couldnt take him seriously. Believe it or not, Xs and Os he knew what he was doing, but that isnt everything. Spence was a god guy, too. His deal was he tinkered too much. He tried so hard to find little ways to trick teams and get certain people in certian positions with the ball that just wasnt worth the time and effort. Ex: Every yr the tried to invent a position to suit Rendrick Taylor. What he didnt realize was there is no substitution for toughness and thats what we lacked. I HATE to say that about my friends and exteammates but Im sure theyll agree. Players: Charlie was pretty cool. Will was the greatest dbag that ever lived. JD came in with a chip on his shoulder. I remember he thought he shouldve been the top ranked RB out of HS and we never had to get him up for anything. Anthony Waters was kind of that reluctant leader. The D looked to him but he didnt really want that kind of responsibility. The media can say what they wanted, he would be leading without realizing it, but when he became aware of it, he stopped. I remember in '06 when I was around he really stepped up and took over. It killed me to see him get hurt the first game bc he was gonna break out. MOst of the guys acted as you would expect. They were great in HS so they walked around as FB in a place where FB was King and were kinda cocky, but it was tolerable. Dont get me wrong, they were still college kids having a good time, but they carried themselves differently than us walk-ons. Reggie was the man. Most easy going guy ever, but also the most determined. He actually wasnt that great of an athlete. But he made uo for it with heart. Hes one guy I wish we still talked about on here bc he was a beast. If we had 22 starters with his heart and desire and their ability, we wouldnt be talking about TRYING to win an ACCC bc we wouldve already won one recently. Dabo had a fun energy about him. He could be hard, but always had something positive to say after he ripped you. Ive been around the program a little this year and last and I can tell you hes a lot different. I think hes kind of given up that Country Boy thing he had going and hes trying to fit the percieved College Coach persona.

Re: So billiam since you played in 05' what was your

Aug 16, 2011, 3:12 PM

Point - thanks for taking the time to give me(us) some insight. I had thought Bowden probably tried to be tough but it just wasnt in him. Kinda like Richard Simmons playing the role of BA Baracus...Lol ok that may be a small stretch but he just wasnt a tough guy. Speaking of Reggie Merriweather - he and Duane Coleman were and still are two of favorite all time CU players...Thanks Again.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

We beat the Coots if they left Reggie in to do his thing in

Aug 16, 2011, 3:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We beat the Coots if they left Reggie in to do his thing in

Aug 16, 2011, 5:04 PM

I remember seeing Reggie blow through the Miami defense down there when we beat them in overtime and then thinking that there was no way that any freshman, no matter how highly regarded out of HS was going to replace him in the line-up the following season.

Of course, James Davis and CJ Spiller did indeed push Reggie aside in the starting role.

Still, I agree with you and a lot of other people who believe that as a senior and a South Carolina native, Reggie was poised to get us into the end zone against SCAR that afternoon and win the game.

But, for some uniknown reason the coaches watched him dominating and then decided all of a sudden that they'd seen enough and that it was time to go with a guy who'd been injured all year.

Very mysterious decision that I'll be the same coaches would love to "do-over" ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We beat the Coots if they left Reggie in to do his thing in

Aug 16, 2011, 5:11 PM

TB's explanation was, when the game is on the line, you want your best guy on the field. My response: the best guy's name was REGGIE MERRIWEATHER, you freaking idiot!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Remember in the BC game that yr in '06...

Aug 16, 2011, 5:26 PM

we were on the GL in OT and got in the Power T. It was a smash play off the RTE. We practiced it that weak to counter BCs GL D. JD was taken out for Spiller, who was the hotter back at the moment. Spiller went wide, lost 3 or 4 yards and we settled instead of a TD. It cost us the game no doubt. SO when the USuC game cam earound he took down Reggie for JD bc he wasnt going to lose without his best RB on the field like we did at BC. Its the most obvious move, but not always the right one. That was a big problem for him, he didnt have that intangible feel for the game.

Is that the play we ran twice on the goal line?...

Aug 16, 2011, 5:52 PM

The first time the RB walked in.

Yes. It was designed to smash and worse case scenario

Aug 16, 2011, 6:45 PM

we wouldve been stopped for no gain. JD ran it a lot during practice. But, Spiller being a Fr tried to bounce it outside and got stopped for a big loss.

Great post...I always thought Bowden could coach...

Aug 16, 2011, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: So billiam since you played in 05' what was your ]

But felt players had a hard time relating to him.

I agree. But I think football has come easy for most of

Aug 16, 2011, 3:16 PM

these really good guys. In HS, they could be THE MAN without trying (or practicing hard).

For some of them, the light eventually comes on - for others, it never does.

My lame example is that I found HS classes pretty easy and made good grades without trying hard. As a result, my grades suffered my Freshman year at ClemU. I did eventually figure out that I would have to work to get those good grades in college.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people just aren't made from the same clay.

Aug 16, 2011, 3:53 PM

A singer wants to be an actor, an actor wants to be a singer. An athlete wants to be a comedian, and a comedian wants to be an athlete. I think that most people are given a particular set of skills that they never truly perfect. They are just born with that talent and they do what they can to get by.

Not saying this is always the case, but in my experience some of the hardest working people aren't the most talented. Take Jerry Rice for instance (considered by many to be the greatest WR to ever play the game), a lot of his former opponents and teammates said he was not the fastest or most athletic player on the field - but he was the hardest working.

Bottom line, I just think most people take their skills or abilities for granted. A lot of these guys have been able to take shortcuts in high school,etc. because of their superior athletic abilities.

Thank you, billiam.......very interesting.***

Aug 16, 2011, 3:58 PM

Aug 16, 2011, 4:00 PM

Ability and effort are not always equal, even for those that normally give great effort.
Sometimes everyone just needs a break.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Aug 16, 2011, 5:11 PM

and no one can measure a persons heart.

It took me a couple of years to go back to a game

Aug 16, 2011, 7:25 PM

after Bowdamn pulled Reggie out..I was angry about that loss and had to ride back to Irmo with uSC fans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From and currently living in Irmo until Clemson starts back

Aug 16, 2011, 8:00 PM

I love Irmo, but the problem is theres just too many #### USuC fans

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic