Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Willie Taggart considered a great choice for FSU ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 6,417

Why is Willie Taggart considered a great choice for FSU ?

Dec 2, 2017, 5:58 AM

Isn't he 47-50 overall as a head coach?

Looks like he had the one pretty decent season at South Florida, then parlayed that ito the Oregon job and ended up with a mediocre 7-5 record in his only season with the Ducks.

That seems like a pretty average resume to qualify for one of the best jobs in all of college football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Willie Taggart considered a great choice for FSU ?

Dec 2, 2017, 6:30 AM

I’m personally glad he’s the leader in the clubhouse for the FSU job. Justin Fuente is the guy I want no parts of seeing every year with FSU’s talent.

Dec 5, 2017, 8:09 PM

> I’m personally glad he’s the leader in the clubhouse
> for the FSU job. Justin Fuente is the guy I want no
> parts of seeing every year with FSU’s talent.

Agreed. Also didn't want Charlie Strong at FSU either as a Charlie Strong coached defense with FSU talent would be a formidable foe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did Fuenta turn it dpwn or not offered***

Dec 5, 2017, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is Willie Taggart considered a great choice for FSU ? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2017, 6:30 AM

Agreed . . . FSU faces real uncertainty going forward. He could be great for them or he could be a train wreck, or anything in between.

We, on the other hand . . . .:)

BUMP

Dec 5, 2017, 6:31 PM

"BUMP", because it actually seems to be a fact now ...

I think it’s the staff that will come with him

Dec 5, 2017, 6:48 PM

Cristobal and Leavitt are both deadly with those resources.

Cristobal was successful at FIU and if you don’t consider the non-football baggage Leavitt brings with him, his success at USF was impressive for that time.

There are a few other folks on that staff that could be really good. Time will tell.

Re: I think it’s the staff that will come with him

Dec 5, 2017, 6:54 PM

A few years back Cristobal was THE up and coming coach getting all the publicity.

I think he is a good hire. Molded USF into a winner and learned state of Florida recruiting.

Some people ripping this hire but I think it is a positive.

Message was edited by: ninetytwotiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not ripping it ... asking *why* it's a great hire ...

Dec 5, 2017, 6:59 PM

When one of the premier programs in all of college ball goes after a guy with a career losing record, it does warrant some scrutiny.

Maybe, as you say ... it's "good" hire ... but since when does FSU have to settle for a "good" hire?

Re: Not ripping it ... asking *why* it's a great hire ...

Dec 5, 2017, 7:37 PM

I rarely use the term "great" hire. There are too many variables and as such I'm cautious about using absolutes or near absolutes.

Me saying Taggart is a good hire is as good as it gets for me. I think Taggart is a 'good' hire because:

1) He has shown a propensity for turning around programs and laying the ground work for long term success as evidenced by the success of the programs after he left.

2) He knows Florida recruiting and when he was at USF he plucked a few fine recruits from FSU (and a few from Florida as well).

3) He is 41 years young and - as a bonus - African American. I think both of these are positives for FSU. Rest of Florida schools are a bunch of white guys. May not matter, but doesn't hurt.

And FSU is at the point where they need some new energy and not a re-tread. Who do you think would have been worth pursuing?

Also, I'm going to edit out that dumb sentence. That was more towards the dumb people who were up in arms about Dabo's hire because he wasn't a "name". Dabo was a young and energetic guy and was just what Clemson needed. FSU probably feels it has gotten stale as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2017, 6:56 PM

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/12/fsu-hires-willie-taggart-whats-next-for-oregon

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he sux a$$ which makes him a great choice

Dec 5, 2017, 7:40 PM

for us

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2017, 7:41 PM

He's had nothing but rebuilding jobs so far which has hurt his overall record. He was 2-10 during his first season at both Western Kentucky and South Florida before improving both, and Oregon was just 4-8 last season which he improved to 7-5. Dabo was only 19-15 after his first 3 seasons here btw.

Dabo was not a head coach with an overall losing record.

Dec 6, 2017, 10:19 AM

Dabo learned on the job, no doubt. He was starting from ground zero as a head coach.

Taggart has many years as a head coach, but he has an overall losing record.

Plus, he doesn't seem to have much loyalty given what he just did to Oregon.

Maybe he'll win big at FSU and be there for the enxt 25 years.

Who knows? All I was asking was why people just assume that he'll be great in Tallahassee.

It could be he's very loyal, just it's to Florida***

Dec 6, 2017, 10:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For us he's the "perfect choice" Hope u like beating FSU***

Dec 5, 2017, 7:45 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he's good, he just hasn't stayed anywhere for more than about

Dec 5, 2017, 7:57 PM

2 seasons. Has a rep for being an ace recruiter, he's from Florida and has ties there, he's bringing a really good staff with him from Oregon, and he's a good job turning teams around.

Just because he hasn't won anything doesn't mean he's incapable of doing it. Also, Oregon looked like garbage when their starting QB was out in the middle of the year and they had to start a true freshman, but they were pretty solid when he was healthy. And let's not forget that Oregon stunk last year. What were they, 4-8?

I don’t know, but I’m sure being black didn’t hurt.***

Dec 5, 2017, 8:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 6, 2017, 4:21 AM

I think he was the best hire out there for the FSU program. He is young, energetic, a players coach and knows the state of Florida. FSU is also his dream job. They could have made a bigger splash hire but then what? Looking at his record doesn't do any good. He took over a WKU team that lost 26 straight and got them to 7-5 before he left (which Bobby P took over and springboarded him back into a P5 school) and he took over a 3-9 USF and got them to 10-2 (which is why Charlie had a good year last year) and beat the coots in a bowl. every where he has gone he has left the cupboard better than he found it. He has also adapted his offense to his teams strength which you see Jimbo couldn't do. Time will tell but I don't think it's a bad hire in the least way.

He will sic Mongo on us?

Dec 6, 2017, 7:44 AM

Santa Maria!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because of how he turned USF into a good team and he can recruit good***

Dec 6, 2017, 8:52 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does Taggart deserve any credit for the year USF had?

Dec 6, 2017, 10:29 AM

Versus what he inherited at USF?

If FSU just has a coach of average X and O ability, but relates well with players and gets them to buy in, they will be a force.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because when the FSU team bus approaches a stadium the

Dec 6, 2017, 10:35 AM

redneck inclined can say "the coach is near!"

Replies: 22
| visibility 6,417
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic