Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Clemson Wins Big
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 2,129

Why Clemson Wins Big

Oct 17, 2018, 3:38 PM

Clemson wins this game by 10+ (being conservative) due to 2 very key points:

-Bet on Clemson's defense

-Bet against NC State's running game

Let's unpack this: NC State is ranked 95th in the country in rushing. Teams with a better rushing attack includes powerhouses such as New Mexico (52), Vanderbilt (75), and Indiana (79).

Mind you, this is even after NC State's grueling schedule so far, playing JMU, Marshall, Georgia St., BC, and Virginia, not exactly teams that you should have to throw 40x against. Finley was 23 of 40 with a TD against Marshall, with their RB Gallaspy rushing the ball 22x for 81 yards. Oh yeah, Clemson ranks 12th in rushing defense (against their 3.9 ypc), #1 in total defense among power 5 schools.

Why is this important? Simple - Ryan Finley had better be able to win the game for them due to their lack of a rushing attack. He's throwing the ball an average of more than 37 x per game, so my bet is that the Clemson defense adjusts to the run, but is going to put the pressure on Finley, so that he HAS to beat us with his arm.

It's never good to be 1-deminsional as an offense, but when you're 1-deminsional in favor of passing, it's inevitable that teams will sick the dawgs on you every other play.

I'm not sure about the "dawgs" that Finley had coming for him against Marshall and Georgia St., but what I do know is that I'd be worried about the likes of Ferrell, Thomas, Bryant, Wilkins, Lawrence, and the occasional LB Blitz.

Pass-first teams eat small amounts of clock, making it a LONG day for their defenses if their offense isn't executing.

People like to knock Clemson's secondary, but guess who ranks 6th in the country in passing defense? Clemson (sure, we've played some triple option teams, but 6th nonetheless, and also makes our rush defense look that much better).

So here's the deal, Clemson is going to consistently gobble up the run, send the house, hit Finley, he'll hit 2 or 3 big plays, but in the end, Clemson will dominate the time of possession, and win 38-20.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Clemson Wins Big

Oct 17, 2018, 3:42 PM

Works for me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 3:51 PM

Linebacker play will play a key role in this game for our Tigers. I hope they are ready. Finley will not be able to complete enough big throws to beat Clemson and I don’t think he will try to do that. Short passes will keep the clock moving if we allow him to nickel and dime us. Every play is going to be big for our defensive guys and I feel good about coach V having his guys ready to play. Sacks will really help the Clemson D keep control of the game. I bet we all complain about holding before the first half is over!

It will really help if we get good downfield blocking for the receivers. Keep an eye on Williams in this game. He likely will play a big role in this Tiger win.

Oct 17, 2018, 3:57 PM

The defense is gonna eat...

Replies: 3
| visibility 2,129
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic