Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We say we play the small In-State schools to help them
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

We say we play the small In-State schools to help them

Dec 6, 2019, 2:17 PM

with their Athletic Department budgets. We pay them a hefty sum to take a beating on the field most of the time, notable exceptions being when South Carolina does the same thing. I would much rather see us playing good Group of 5 teams than doing this. Is there some way we could give them that same money, say by scheduling this pay for a baseball series, or a basketball game? Then, they get the same financial benefits, their football teams don't get massacred, and we have a better strength of football schedule regardless of whether or not the ACC continues to suck like a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

I am sure there is probably an obscure NCAA rule prohibiting us from doing something like that, but I am not willing to doze through the nauseating NCAA Division I Manual to find it. What says them what knows?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We say we play the small In-State schools to help them

Dec 6, 2019, 2:23 PM

There are two problems with your suggestion.

The first is financially we still have to pay a group of 5 team to come in unless we are scheduling a home and home. I don't think you want road games at group of 5 schools the way that the Tobacco Rd schools do. So paying a group of 5 and then basically making a donation to an in-state FCS school just makes one more big check that our athletic department is writing for no reason.

The second problem is that in 5-10 years, the time frame we typically schedule OOC games, any of the currently good group of 5 teams may be terrible.

5 year ago UCF was just plain bad. The other AAC schools are only as good as the next up and coming coach they can grab before anyone else knows about them.

Making a plan to build schedule strength through group of 5 schools is not the best way to do it.

For now we will have to settle for hoping that the home and homes we schedule with SEC schools don't land on a terrible year for their program like what we got from A&M and scar this season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, playing small in-state schools provides a much needed

Dec 6, 2019, 2:30 PM

quasi "off" week to recuperate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

History says that scheduling the Coots on average will not

Dec 6, 2019, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: We say we play the small In-State schools to help them ]

help our strength of schedule, since their average season would be 6-6. (Actually 6.1 wins and 5.9 losses, but they are on a downward spiral, and will be 0.500 or worse in a few years).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 2:32 PM

You know, if you did not have the "big schools" attempting to "buy a win", your would prevent the rise of some smaller programs. For example, while App State was normally very, very good, beating Michigan was really their moment they could build on. That allowed them to jump from FCS at the time to FBS and continue building from there and upgrading conferences.

Sure, we play PC, Wofford, U6S, or Furman but I am fine giving those teams a shot. Even Troy who fought us hard and others (who later beat LSU and Nebraska).

I am kinda "against" playing "only" Power 5/conference games. I call this the B10 or 0hio State method by actively avoiding "challenger teams. Beating Rutgers again isn't anything special and they are scared to take a risk against a rising team.

Finally, there are the same thing happening for basketball and other programs. A big basketball program pay other schools to play them out-of-conference.

Dec 6, 2019, 2:35 PM

If we want to do that fine. If the legislature pressures us to I'm not fine because alll they do is cut our funding year after year. .

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish we could just become a private school.

Dec 6, 2019, 2:56 PM

We could still prioritize in-state students in some way, to be consistent with Thomas Green Clemson’s will, while also being free of the state’s limitations in terms of paltry funding. I realize this would require a lot of money changing hands and legal gymnastics, but I do think it would be better for Clemson University in the long run.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 6, 2019, 2:55 PM

The problem is not the 1 or 2 small in-state schools that pull our strength of schedule down, it's the fact the power 5 schools that we regularly play were not ranked this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 5:08 PM

Bingo! Scheduling better (weak) teams is going to do nothing. The 2 or 3 nicely ranked teams is what’s missing this year, unlike recent years.

Here's a solution.

Dec 6, 2019, 3:47 PM

Every year we have:
8 conference games
2 cupcakes (one of which is an in-state school like Citadel, Wofford, Furman, SC State, Presbyterian).
South Carolina
A challenging team (TAMU, UGA, Bama, Auburn, Notre Dame, etc.)

We keep the in-state cupcake.
We replace the out of state cupcake (Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Kent State, Etc.) with a Vandy or Kentucky or Tennessee.

That way we can continue to single-handidly diminish the SEC's self-described greatness by beating up on the same powder puffs they beat up on week in and week out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

G-5 teams are actually more costly than the in-state schools

Dec 6, 2019, 4:47 PM

The P-5 teams often end up paying them double or triple what one of the in-state FCS teams costs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing Wofford in Basketball is not a good idea ***

Dec 6, 2019, 4:51 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playing Wofford in Basketball is not a good idea ***

Dec 6, 2019, 5:04 PM

Easier now that their coach has moved on the VPI! Isn’t that true?

prob - don't follow - but Tdogs football won socon with new

Dec 6, 2019, 5:40 PM

football coach... I'll pick em up late in conf. play - kinda like I do all of Basketball. the whole season is like one big basketball game - not interesting till the last 2 minutes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic