Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
W-B; Jerry Butler the catch, 63-17 game, 1981 oranges thrown
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,246

W-B; Jerry Butler the catch, 63-17 game, 1981 oranges thrown

Nov 18, 2017, 9:30 PM

on the field. Name your memories.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: W-B; Jerry Butler the catch, 63-17 game, 1981 oranges thrown

Nov 18, 2017, 10:11 PM

All were great, but i would go with "The Catch". It was jr. year and we made a road trip and were there. Good times, good times.

Nov 18, 2017, 10:14 PM

My memory of the ‘81 Orange throwing game was Danny Ford on his show the next day saying we could have put someone’s eye out throwing those oranges....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2017, 10:15 PM

The catch was the best moment. 45-0 was the most fun game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2017, 10:24 PM

Orange britches on the road for the first time.

Nov 18, 2017, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re: W-B; Jerry Butler the catch, 63-17 game, 1981 oranges thrown ]

Yeah, 1989 was great. Had a terrible earache but promised myself if we had a chance to revenge 1975 I had to see it regardless. Brutal cold for Columbia. Derp temporary AD for chickens had created a PR nightmare by turning down the Rolling Stones for their Steel Wheels tour, who promptly said maybe Clemson might want a concert. Clemson said okay. AD kept digging his hole by claiming "Rock and Roll in Williams Brice? What would be next, a tractor pull?" By the game the Stones had already booked for Death Valley.

I believe Clemson's worse play was a seven yard gain, and we passed about three times because we did not need to. Todd "wet my pants when chickens do anything not awful" Ellis had been hurt, and ridiculously inept Dickie Demassi threw most of his completions to Clemson. Terry Allen, Hall, bunch of guys with touchdowns.

Cherry on top was the Tiger doing the fist on hip Mick Jagger strut once the game was out of reach. My ex and I went to the concert. Stones had a giant blow up honky tonk woman, and started with "Start me Up!" Immediately after the first song, Mick got the mic and said "I want to welcome you all tonight, EVEN THE ONES FROM COLUMBIA!" Perfect.

That said, First and 35 in 2005 was pretty good too.

The Catch I, meeting Woody Hayes for 20 minutes the

Nov 18, 2017, 10:36 PM

afternoon before the Gator Bowl in 78 (I was a sophomore at CU in 78-79). The Clemson/Ohio State Gator Bowl game. The Clemson/UGa in 81 at DV (I was still in school). I managed Bollwinkles in Clemson, so I knew many of the players. Being at the Clemson/Nebraska Orange Bowl win for our first NC. They had dogs around the field because Miami/San Diego had a AFC title game the next day, but I walked over to our band and wandered out to the King Orange symbol at the 50 yard line and just stood there and did a 360 look around the stadium. I was the only person out there, as the teams had long since headed to the locker room.

I've got many others, but the last one I will mention was being at the game in Tampa last January, and seeing that comeback in the last second. I was at the State House on Clemson Day during the 2017 General Session, and I got a couple of cool pictures with Hunter Renfrow on the State House steps.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

56-7.....***

Nov 19, 2017, 2:17 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2017, 7:52 AM

Rod Gardner made the clutch TD catch to give the ##### an 0-11 season. Leaving Williams Brice and looking at all the dejected Coot fans.

For just the fans in the stands, 1st and 35

Nov 19, 2017, 8:42 AM

They knew they had us. They KNEW it. The whole stadium could smell the blood in the water. They were finally going to beat Whitehurst. No way Whitehurst would finish 4-0. They were going to hang a loss on him. Jubilation. Frenzy. Three years of frustration finally over. The crowd knew they were making a difference. At that moment, that may have been the loudest W-B crowd in the stadium's history.

And then.....

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,246
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic