Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Unexpected coot fact of the day ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,755

Unexpected coot fact of the day ...

Jun 5, 2020, 4:36 PM

I was looking at an article on colleges that will be reopening this fall. It listed endowments. I wanted to see how Clemson's endowment compared to the UofSC. When I googled the coot endowment, I saw this item about former names that surprised me:

University of South Carolina
Former name South Carolina College (1801–1865; 1882–1887; 1890–1905) South Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanics (1880–1881)
Established 1801
Parent institution University of South Carolina System
Endowment $788.3 million (2019)
President Robert Caslen

I never knew the UofSC was called the South Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanics (1880–1881). Maybe we should remind them of their history next time they call us a cow college or moo U.

Clemson University
Former names Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina (1889–1964)
Endowment $774.5 million (2019)
President James P. Clements
Provost Robert H. Jones
Academic staff 1,431

By the way, the Clemson endowment is nearly as large as the coots, despite the fact they have more students and alumni and have been around a lot longer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unexpected coot fact of the day ...

Jun 5, 2020, 4:51 PM

Interesting.

So the real USC (Southern Cal) which was founded in 1880, WAS actually the original USC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here’s what I remember (wasn’t actually alive then!)..

Jun 5, 2020, 4:56 PM

but in 1889 Clemson was made an educational entity by 1 vote, maybe by Tillman since there was a tie and as speaker of the House he broke the tie.

At that point about 60+% of their student body had to attend Clemson since we offered their agricultural & mechanical courses..

and they had to change their name, I believe (ask Joe21) from being a University to a College..

plus Clemson got a lot of the $ they had been getting as well as acquiring recognition in the legislation..

thus: THE REASON THEY HATE US TO THIS DAY..

but they don’t have a historical notion of WHY, but they do, hate us!

Gotta LoveThat!

And, after whipping us in 1st FB game in 1897?, it was all Clemson after that especially with John Heisman kicking assse all over the South.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Coot College was SCAM?***

Jun 5, 2020, 4:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Coot College was SCAM?***

Jun 5, 2020, 5:03 PM

How fitting! Great post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really surprised Clemson’s endowment $ amount is Only 14 Million less than usc!

Jun 5, 2020, 5:21 PM

Saying, they are 95 yrs older, have 2-3 times more grads, fan base is double over ours so more $ should be coming in..and they rule the legislature overall since located in & at the Capitol..and graduate Lawyers!

Of course, Harvard probably has an endowment in the multiple Billions.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really surprised Clemson’s endowment $ amount is Only 14 Million less than usc!

Jun 5, 2020, 5:45 PM

True they have a lot more alumni, but fast food workers and gas station attendants don't really make a lot, so hard o contribute to the coot endowment.

The Morrill Act

Jun 5, 2020, 6:04 PM

That was passed into law during the war between the states (nothing Civil about it) officially established the land grant colleges in America. Clemson was among them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really surprised Clemson’s endowment $ amount is Only 14 Million less than usc!

Jun 5, 2020, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Really surprised Clemson’s endowment $ amount is Only 14 Million less than usc! ]

Maybe they are using the endowment to pay off coaches salaries.

Considering recent developments, wouldn't it have been

Jun 5, 2020, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Re: So Coot College was SCAM?*** ]

....C of SCAM

Jun 5, 2020, 6:56 PM [ in reply to So Coot College was SCAM?*** ]

That name might just stick Just rolls off the tongue

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 9:59 PM

Agreed, I think we should adopt that acronym for coot U.

Jun 6, 2020, 2:39 PM

Per my understanding, USuC is still a scam!

Honestly, I'm proud of our history and proud to be a...

Jun 5, 2020, 6:08 PM

Cow College! Nope, not an Ag or Mechanical Alum but understand the tremendous contributions our University has made for decades. Great post and Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honestly, I'm proud of our history and proud to be a...

Jun 5, 2020, 9:53 PM

I'm a CU Architect, and "pride" can't begin to express my feelings of accomplishment. Anyone who has been through that program will understand what I say and feel - and I, and we, will always remember! The College of Architecture was in Riggs Hall before Lee Hall was built (where I attended in the early '70's.) But just to say, without "Pitchfork" Ben Tillman, THERE WOULD BE NO CLEMSON UNIVERSITY...! Despite his racism, our Lord had another program in mind. And when it all comes down to it, we lead our Nation in... oh, just about everything worth measuring, including Love, Effort, Desire and Excellence!

Go Tigers!!!

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,755
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic