Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USC will "sink back to mediocrity"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

USC will "sink back to mediocrity"

Jul 28, 2014, 3:48 PM

...this maybe the most over used talking points around. Carolina returns the highest percentage of players this year and are currently sitting with the #3 recruiting class. Explain to me how/why USC is "sinking back to mediocrity" ??

-------

South Carolina may have lost star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, both starting cornerbacks, quarterback Connor Shaw and receiver Bruce Ellington, among others, but the Gamecocks have nearly everybody else back in 2014.

On ESPN's show numbers never lie featuring USC head coach Steve Spurrier, it was pointed out that South Carolina returns 85.3 percent of its players from last season's 11-2 campaign, the highest percentage in all of FBS.

"We think we've got a pretty good team," Spurrier said. "Time will tell."

South Carolina is the preseason media prediction to win the SEC East and is ranked in the top 10 by most preseason publications. The Gamecocks open the 2014 season Aug. 28 against Texas A&M at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USC will "sink back to mediocrity"

Jul 28, 2014, 3:49 PM

oh, how cute coot? Take it to FGF

Jul 28, 2014, 3:55 PM

Considering your football history , mediocrity is an upgrade.
I am on record as saying that you will lose at least 4 and possibly 5 (the fifth being the A&M opener) and that returning lettermen is awesome except that most of what returns doesn't actually start.
I think you will be a one dimensional ooffenseand I think there is no doubt that your defense is going to fall off a bunch .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

and yet...

Jul 28, 2014, 3:57 PM

Clemson loses 70% of its offensive production in Boyd, Bryant, and Watkins and you're contending for a national title?

Last year, by numbers alone, our D-line wasn't spectacular. They were good but this year will have the same, if not better, production.

No you won't Coot!!

Jul 28, 2014, 4:21 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: and yet...

Jul 28, 2014, 4:50 PM [ in reply to and yet... ]

I am not going to make an argument either way on this..I do feel like your preseason rank is a little high and ours a little low based on our strengths, and you may be right about having all those players back but like mentioned none of those guys returning made a huge impact last year... and it really doesn't matter bc in my opinion you lost the heart and soul of that team in Conner Shaw... you easily lose two more games last year if he doesn't come in and save the day for Thompson.

Jul 28, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: USC will "sink back to mediocrity" ]

Glad you are "on record."
You man enough to come back and admit you were wrong at the end of the year?

You lost almost your entire DL and half of your DBs. Add to that the only players that kept your offense moving when and opposing team stuffed the run. Good luck.

null

Southern cal has been mediocre for a while now

Explain to me how/why this is

Jul 28, 2014, 3:57 PM

relevant on a Clemson message bored?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Jul 28, 2014, 4:03 PM

All depends on the next football hire... which would be true of anyone.
Tanner seems like a smart guy so I bet they will get someone good.
I cant imagine SCar sinking back to 0-11 status without some crazy bad management.

And very few Clemson fans are predicting national title this year, we had our shot last year and blew it.

Now if we start 3-0 with a win in Tally, open that can back up, for now though, not the case with the 90%.

Jul 28, 2014, 4:04 PM

Who cares?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN, and you know they're your Daddy, ranks your class #8,

Jul 28, 2014, 4:08 PM

five spots behind Clemson at #3. Now if your Daddy says you're number 8, you can't also be number 3. You're not arguing with Daddy are you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

65 > 42 ******

Jul 28, 2014, 4:15 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

65 > 42 IS the real number like 0-21 in the SEC -- and

Jul 28, 2014, 4:32 PM

once the Tigers start winning again what will 5 wins matter? You know there was a time when Clemson went 11-3 against the Coots from 1995-2008. So, when the Tigers take the next 2 or 3 what will the Cooter Booters do then?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couple of things...

Jul 28, 2014, 4:18 PM

If it was just about returning players and not also (or mostly) about who you return, then people wouldn't have questions about Clemson's skill positions and people wouldn't be so optimistic about having to replace guys like Shuey or a couple of guys in the secondary. Heck, you can return 95% of your players and not be very good as long as the guys you lost were the guys you were relying on. Obviously you'd rather have guys playing who have more experience, but that experience needs to be good experience and it still matters whether the returning guys were starters.

Further, your last couple of recruiting classes combined with departures to the NFL have left you with a pretty inexperienced and thin DL and secondary. You also don't really have a proven playmaker at WR, and your QB hasn't been anything special even though he does have some big game experience.

None of that means South Carolina will return to it usual self, but it does suggest that are too many question marks to expect your team to be great.

As for your current recruiting class, you've pretty much filled the entire thing up but you don't have enough quality guys to stay in the top 5. If Clemson gets even one more recruit, of pretty much any caliber, it will pass South Carolina in the rankings even though South Carolina would have 3 more commits. You've also padded the class with higher rated JUCO players who are just stopgap guys for the next two years at the most.

So, actually, you're not replacing the talent that got you to a 11-2 season with equal talent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your DL only returns 20 starts, good for 103rd nationally

Jul 28, 2014, 4:28 PM

Just for comparison, Clemson's ranks first with 95 career starts.

Re: Your DL only returns 20 starts, good for 103rd nationally

Jul 28, 2014, 4:53 PM

HAHAHAH YES!!!!!!!!!!! That was awesome!

Jul 28, 2014, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Your DL only returns 20 starts, good for 103rd nationally ]

Wow. Glad someone pointed that out.

I was tired of hearing about all the players they are returning.

A few years ago, I remember DUKE returned the most players in the nation, that didn't turn out so good.

(And I know SC is a better program than Duke, just pointing out the FACT that just because you return the most players, doesn't equal success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2014, 6:07 PM

And to point out to those that lack comprehension skills, otherwise known as Coots, I do not think y'all slip back into mediocrity.

I do say about 9 wins regular season this year, same I'm predicting for my Tigers.

I just think y'all miss Connor more than many of you think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What happened at Tennessee? Coaches leaving have an

Jul 28, 2014, 4:25 PM

impact. When SOS hangs it up who you got?

Actually, I am not sure either. SC loses a lot of good

Jul 28, 2014, 5:14 PM

players, returning numbers notwithstanding, but its not like they don't have good players. 11 wins? No way to know. Mediocre? Not likely. They will be good. Period. Just like we will be. How the filling in of lost players goes we will have to see.

Don't we say this every year?

Besides, any Clemson fan predicting mediocrity better danged hope the Nov game goes well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2014, 5:30 PM

Half of your recruiting classes don't qualify. You could finish 1st in 2014 and half will probably head to JUCO.

Connor won't be there to bail u out anymore.

Jul 28, 2014, 5:37 PM

Bruce is gone. So are ur CBs. So is your best DE and DL. You forget how many times Connor pulled a stunt out of his #### on third downs. Having him won several games. Without him you'd have been a nine win team at best.

Jul 28, 2014, 5:47 PM

Let's us know when you break out of mediocrity to begin with. So out of the top 4 teams in your own division you lost to two and beat the others narrowly despite both of those teams not sporting the QB that started their seasons due to injury. The worst two teams in your division had you within one score late in the fourth quarter. You people think you've arrived because you've beaten Nebraska, Michigan and Wisconsin to finish your last three seasons, when you can't even come close to winning your own conference.

Jul 28, 2014, 5:47 PM

Who you trying to convince Coot??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic