Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Late 1930's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

The Late 1930's

Jun 25, 2019, 3:11 PM

and the depression was still evident in many sections of the country, especially in those areas where farming was the chief means of a livelihood. Prices were low for farm products and the cost of most items was low but money was also a scare item.

Our high school football team played several teams east of the St. Johns River in North Florida, Traveling to these games required us to travel through Palatka, the largest city en route. We did not have meal money so we had to take a "nose bag" meal for away games. But returning home, Palatka was an oasis in the desert. From previous years, the coach and players had discovered a restaurant that became our favorite and had now become a ritual, And the orders were always the same, a piece of pie and a pint of milk. All for the grand sum of twenty five cents, and there was no tax. The only problem was that not everyone had a quarter. But, not to worry, somehow we were always able to find enough quarters so everyone could join in this ritual. That piece of pie was not a small sliver, it was one fourth of the pie for the huge sum of fifteen cents. The price for the pint of milk was ten cents.

Most Ten Cent stores and drug stores in that era had a lunch counter. Breakfast was twenty five cents and included two eggs, bacon or sausage, toast and coffee and there were free refills on coffee. Just before the outbreak of WW2, some places raised their price to thirty cents and a few even went as high as thirty five cents. Yes sir ree ------ highway robbery !!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Late 1930's

Jun 25, 2019, 4:02 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences of that time.

I am sure that Palatka has grown a lot since the 1930s, but I have always viewed it as a sleepy little town with not much going on and in the middle of nowhere. The town's main distinction is that it is houses the main office of the St. Johns River Water Management District.

I remember that when I first got to Clemson (1974), one could get coke was $0.15 a can and snacks were $0.05 (from the vending machines). I believe gas was $0.25 per gallon. Within a year or so, the prices jumped up: coke $0.25 per can, candy $0.10, and gas $0.50 per gallon - we were in shock.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love your historical stories Joe

Jun 25, 2019, 5:06 PM

My father in law helped work a tobacco farm in Dillon as a child, and he likes to tell us about the times his dad would take the wagon to town...always a big deal for a child, and pick up a load of German soldiers from a prison camp nearby. I presume it was about 1943 at least. They might have been captured in Tunisia. They couldn't speak each others language, but he said they were always nice to him and played with him on the ride, and in retrospect were pretty good farmers themselves, since that's probably what they did in Germany before the war. They'd work the fields all day, without supervision, and get taken back to town at night after nothing more than a head count. It was a win-win. His dad was thankful for the help, and the Germans were thankful to get out from behind the wire for any reason. So far as I know none of them tried to escape. They were just biding their time to get shipped home, happy "the was was over" for them, any anyhow, where were they going to go, the Great Pee Dee Swamp?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic