Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SC set to give $115 Million corporate welfare check
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 699

SC set to give $115 Million corporate welfare check

Mar 27, 2019, 11:49 PM

to a billionaire new owner of Carolina Panthers, David Tepper, he of the great vampire squid Goldman Sachs fame., all for simply moving Panthers hq across the border to SC.

In 2018, the Panthers were bought by billionaire hedge fund manager David Tepper for $2.275 billion. An investor who spent time at Goldman Sachs, during the recession Tepper made billions managing a fund that bought banking stocks as they tanked, betting that the U.S. government would not let them fail. Tepper's reported $11.6 billion net worth makes him the NFL's wealthiest owner.

This is worse than a farce.

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/TheBattery/archives/2019/03/27/sc-house-votes-to-give-billionaire-panthers-owner-millions-in-tax-incentives

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So without looking at the details, I have to ask, where did

Mar 28, 2019, 12:04 AM

this “Tepper has enough money” thing come from? It’s the same as AOC with Bezos and Amazon.

I question the value of these sports teams too, and would be perfectly happy to tell the Panthers to go pound sand the next time they need $50 million for escalators. But the wealth of the owner is irrelevant when you are talking about a competitive market. Tepper has some facilities he was willing to relocate and SC said “we think it’s worth this to us.” They could say “it’s not worth anything” or “you already have the money so you pay for it” and maybe he would. More likely he would have taken his offices elsewhere.

It’s about what he has to offer, not what he’s worth.

Harvard has a $40 billion endowment. Does that mean you can enroll for no tuition? No. Steve Jobs was stupid wealthy...but he wasn’t giving away iPhones.

null

Maybe, but ability to pay

Mar 28, 2019, 12:32 AM

should be a consideration in every negotiation involving taxpayer funded subsidies. Especially when there is no evidence of actual benefit to the state to justify the gift.

Relocation subsidies are horrible policy, yet we offer them to every company regardless of any actual benefit to the state, especially when the average unsubsidized SC taxpayer then has to pay a disproportionate share of taxes.

umm...wha?...

Mar 28, 2019, 9:00 AM

you don't think the move would result in a net increase in tax receipts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the anger at one business paying less taxes than the

Mar 28, 2019, 9:20 AM

other. That's all this is about. Unequal treatment. Has nothing to do with what's better for the state.

####. Technically our entire tiered tax system (and local/state incentives) are violations of the Equal Protection Clause in the 14th Amendment. But that's ignored when the rich can be taxed more and the poor less. But it's evil and wrong when the rich are taxed less and the poor or middle class more. But the bottom line net tax revenues can sometimes be greater giving the rich a break, and that's just wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where is the evidence

Mar 28, 2019, 9:36 AM [ in reply to umm...wha?... ]

they will bring taxable revenue into the state?

I don’t have a problem of having a business friendly tax climate. If tax subsidies were across the board, and didn’t favor one business over another, it would create a more fair and significant economic stimulus.

By choosing to play this game though, the state has a new opportunity cost on future tax base.

https://www.mercatus.org/publications/corporate-welfare/opportunity-cost-corporate-welfare

Where was the evidence for BMW, Boeing, Michelin

Mar 28, 2019, 9:42 AM

or Volvo?

I'm sure those tax breaks they were provided never paid off.

So you are the saying the state is swimming

Mar 28, 2019, 9:55 AM

In cash now? Where is the money coming from to pay all the bills in this state?

You and I are footing the bill. Congratulations. ??

We've had budget surplus's for the past 3 years

Mar 28, 2019, 10:03 AM

Are you saying that the total of the tax breaks is less than the total long term tax receipts?

Show me YOUR empirical evidence that factors in every business that will serve the business in question; ie new suppliers that move in the area, restaurants, gas stations, new home builders, and any other local store that is positively affected downstream by a bigger business moving in.

How much in taxes do you think we'll be collecting if we DON'T bring in these large businesses?

This isn't even an argument worth having.

I'm stopping. He long ago entered troll territory.***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no you're not....come on...

Mar 28, 2019, 10:04 AM [ in reply to So you are the saying the state is swimming ]

you don't think BMW resulted in net increase in tax receipts? You can't honestly believe that.

Forget the corporate tax burden...just think of the payroll taxes paid by their employees and all of the other businesses that are here as a result of BMW. It's been a huge positive for the state.

Wow. I never knew if I worked for Michelin, BMW, Boeing

Mar 28, 2019, 10:12 AM [ in reply to So you are the saying the state is swimming ]

etc. that I would be able to live in a free house, with no property taxes, get free food, no state income tax, have a car provided to me, free medical care, etc. Oh, and it must be really nice for those tens of thousands of employees to not have to pay sales taxes on the goods they buy to live, just like YOU AND ME. What a deal that must be.

Those companies employ some of the most skilled and highly paid labor in this state. As such, they live in nice houses, drive nice cars, and have all the expenses YOU AND I HAVE. Those workers for those companies pay a higher percentage in taxes, BY FAR, than the rest of the workers in SC. That goes into SC coffers because they are taxpayers.

As for our own state's finances, I think we are sitting pretty with nearly a $1 billion SURPLUS. ;)

https://www.postandcourier.com/opinion/editorials/budget-surplus-a-chance-to-fully-fund-s-c-education/article_7a9b4ac4-f4e7-11e8-890f-cb9901a2320c.html

Everything is about net increase in receipts....

Mar 28, 2019, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Where is the evidence ]

if a company is making a decision on where to locate or if to relocate, then you have to view the impact in terms of net increase in tax receipts. It's pretty simple really.

If you want to give existing businesses the same tax deal as perspective new companies, then that would result in a net decrease in tax receipts, all else held constant. Also, almost all incentive packages are phased-out over time...so once the business is established, the tax incentives generally slow reduce back to 0.

You wrote "Where is the evidence they will bring taxable revenue into the state?"

Do you mean outside of common sense? If the company is located in SC, then the profits are taxed in SC, the payroll is paid out of SC, the payroll taxes are paid to SC, the employees work in SC, indirect business increases in SC, and on and on.

Well...

Mar 28, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Where is the evidence ]

I assume they will have and buy cars. Dealerships get $$$. Gas stations get $$$. If they have kids, they may need diapers. They will need to eat. They will have to live somewhere (rent/mortgage). They will have to have bank accounts. Property taxes. Hotels will need to be built to house visitors. Do I need to keep going? The list is nearly endless. Whatever your expenses are, they will have.

Do you have a clue how much money BMW has brought to the upstate in SC? I remember when Carrol Campbell gave them all kinds of incentives and he was derided just as McMaster is today. Well...not only has BMW repaid those incentives, but the growth and associated businesses and jobs that came with BMW have "repaid" those incentives countless times over. If you give a business a $115 million tax break and then that brings in $200 million in additional taxes, that's +$200 million. There is no "cost".

As for your link, I stopped at the second paragraph because that does not apply to what SC just passed. This is purely a tax and fee reduction. No loans. No taxpayer dollars spent. But I kept going. Taxpayers do not FINANCE A TAX ABATEMENT. And even in our SC example, it's a tax reduction. The only abatement is for fees like a business license, etc. Furthermore, the article fails to address businesses LEAVING states due to not having incentives. Stop the incentives, they will go elsewhere. As for why SC sucks, it's because we have some of the most unskilled labor in America. Incentives are worthless if the labor force SC offers is unskilled. Boeing came to SC because of our lower taxes, some incentives, but mainly to avoid union wages. The biggest expense for Boeing coming to SC is in training a labor force for their jobs. They did a calculation and between lower taxes, lower non-union wages, etc. it paid off for them. The cost of relocation for businesses moving to SC is huge because we have so few people skilled already here. I just worked on a case with a guy who worked for a subcontractor for BMW. He was from Slovenia. They paid him to come to Greer to BMW to work. That's the real problem we have in SC. Education.

I understand, there are net benefits to the economy

Mar 28, 2019, 10:23 AM

But Incentives are not the reason companies relocate. There are tons of other more important factors. In manufacturers case, they mainly need access to the port.

Overall tax liability is also one consideration, and how we compare to other states.

I get what you are saying about residual effects, but in the case of this particular business, it seems negligible. Hardly worth 115 billion dollars that they potentially could bring the tax base.

All I’m saying is we need tax freedom across the board, not targeted.

The state of SC is not "giving" them one single taxpayer

Mar 28, 2019, 8:54 AM [ in reply to So without looking at the details, I have to ask, where did ]

dollar. Not one penny from your pocket, mine, or anyone else who pays taxes to the State of SC is going to have a single penny of that money "given" to the Panthers.

Over the years, IF THEY COME HERE, they will pay the State of SC $115 million less than they otherwise would have to pay the State of SC. So instead of paying the State of SC say, $200 million in taxes and fees over that time period, without incentives, they pay SC $85 million. That's +$85,000,000 by my math. Also ZERO cost to existing taxpayers. Then add whatever for supporting businesses, hotels, electric infrastructure expenses, sewer improvements, increased real estate taxes, etc. that are not reduced.

People get mad and write misleading articles like this one because they're ticked that the team, and the rich guy who owns it (there's the real hate), will have to pay less in taxes than others with less money have to offer the state.

It's like a company treating customers differently. Wal-Mart gets a cheaper rate on goods they buy from suppliers because they have the capability of selling so much MORE PRODUCT. Wal-Mart may pay Duracell 15% less for batteries for their stores nationwide than say Circle K, who sells FAR LESS batteries. Duracell comes out making MORE MONEY giving the batteries to Wal-Mart 15% cheaper than Circle K because Wal-Mart sells 60% MORE BATTERIES in their stores than Circle K. Wal-Mart wins because they have the cheapest batteries, so they sell more and make larger total profits due to volume on a smaller margin.

It never ceases to amaze me how people fall for this

Mar 28, 2019, 8:36 AM

over, and over, and over again.

There is no "gift". There is no "cost" to taxpayers. They are giving them ZERO taxpayer money. Taxpayers have a net gain from this, not a loss of $115 million. The "gift" is that they are not going to TAKE as much from them, in taxes and fees, as they otherwise would IF THEY COME HERE. There is no COST to taxpayers for promising not to take as much from them in taxes as an incentive. In fact, the surrounding businesses that support the company and workers will have increased taxes, both local sales taxes, and other forms. Real estate taxes go up as new employees move into the area, etc. It's the same line of thinking that your federal and state tax refunds are a "gift". It's YOUR freaking money, not the government's.

But read this article, with a clear agenda due to the attacks on the profession of the owner of the team, and you would think SC is using money people have paid to the state of SC in taxes to GIVE to the team to bring them here. Absolutely FALSE. When government votes to reduce your personal taxes do you see that as a GIFT? They're promising to take less of your money. And that's a GIFT? For it to be a gift you have to operate under the assumption that your own earned money is the government's to GIVE you to you in the first place. It isn't.

Here's the bill:
A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 12-6-3360, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE JOB TAX CREDIT, SO AS TO PROVIDE FOR A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM; TO AMEND SECTION 4-9-30, RELATING TO THE DESIGNATION OF POWERS UNDER THE ALTERNATE FORMS OF GOVERNMENT, SO AS TO PROHIBIT THE LEVY OF COUNTY LICENSE FEES AND TAXES ON A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM; TO AMEND SECTION 5-7-30, RELATING TO POWERS OF A MUNICIPALITY, SO AS TO PROHIBIT THE LEVY OF A BUSINESS LICENSE TAX ON A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM; AND BY ADDING SECTION 5-3-20 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THE REAL PROPERTY OWNED BY A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM MAY NOT BE ANNEXED BY A MUNICIPALITY WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM.

SO....the team doesn't have to pay a county licensing fee, Team doesn't have to purchase a business license. Team can not have their real property annexed by a town as a tax grab. And the job tax credit is a reduction in income taxes on jobs for the team. PLEASE tell me where the citizens of SC are exchanging a penny of their hard-earned money to "give" anything to this team? The state of SC is simply agreeing to TAKE LESS FROM THEM. And even if the business ends up failing, and everyone decries the loss of all these incentives, it's not a LOSS. Even the failed business provided a NET GAIN for the state coffers. Decades ago BMW received huge incentives (similarly attacked) that have paid off probably 20 fold or more over the years. Boeing too.

Anyway, it's just ignorance and it pains me every time to see people just eat it up to perpetuate whatever agenda they have.

you are wrong, here’s why

Mar 28, 2019, 9:25 AM

Any potential tax that is either forgiven or subsidized has an opportunity cost to the state.

I want this guy to pay his fair share of taxes so you and I don’t have to shoulder a disproportionate burden. It is actually common sense and you guys are being duped with this kind of voodoo logic.

Here is an article that explains it much better than I can, from someone who studies these matters for a living.

https://www.mercatus.org/publications/corporate-welfare/opportunity-cost-corporate-welfare

"Any potential tax... "

Mar 28, 2019, 9:39 AM

So what do we get if they decide NOT to come here?

Liberals are seeming to have a hard time with this concept lately.

If they don’t come, we actually have less

Mar 28, 2019, 10:09 AM

wear and tear on our roads, less negative drain on public resources that you and I pay lots of money to maintain.

I could care less if they move their operation across the border from NC. Where is the evidence their presence would add any long-term value to our state?

Break it down for me,

No, I don't think i'll be doing that today.

Mar 28, 2019, 10:33 AM

Or any day. It's not my job to convince you of anything. If you don't think the sun will rise tomorrow, I'm ok with your thought process.

You're assuming that the businesses will automatically be

Mar 28, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to you are wrong, here’s why ]

there, and that ain't how it works. You're completely discounting the "sales" side of the equation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have a pic of this “check”?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:23 AM

I bet it’s one of those big ones like lottery winners get.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where does one cash those?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:27 AM

Its NOT going to fit in the ATM slot.

Opportunity costs

Mar 28, 2019, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Do you have a pic of this “check”? ]

create a greater burden on you and I whose businesses and incomes are not subsidized. Why should I possibly like this arrangement.

Explain to me how you would have a higher tax burden

Mar 28, 2019, 9:46 AM

due to their tax incentives, vs them not coming at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Primarily it is infrastructure

Mar 28, 2019, 10:03 AM

costs, assuming they use our roads, bridges, tunnels, utilities, schools, the state and local government, police, fire, EMS, etc. It is actually a really long list that the state funds, the commonly used resources that sustain our population. There is no free lunch to pay for this stuff, and people wrongly assume that new companies shoukd somehow get a nice juicy handout. It is totally illogical.

Someone has to pay the bills.

You do realize that the tax incentives are for the company..

Mar 28, 2019, 10:10 AM

and not for all of the employees, right?

The taxes paid by the employees and economic impact of the additional employees/businesses and suppliers dwarfs the offset taxes of the company.

In terms of infrastructure, almost all of the things in your list are needed to expand as a direct result of additional employees...who pay state income tax and property tax.

Sorry, but your line of reasoning is what is illogical and shows a great deal of ignorance on the subject.

So think about this...

Mar 28, 2019, 9:29 AM

The headquarters is based in South Carolina, that means payroll out of SC, that means all salaries will be taxed by South Carolina. What do you the the annual payroll of the Panthers is? Multiply that by the state tax rate. Would think it would recoup the cost pretty quickly.

BTW, have no idea if this is how it works;)

show me empirical evidence

Mar 28, 2019, 9:44 AM

That this economic theory works.

I’m in favor of business friendly government, but tax freedom should be across the board, not targeted.

I'm glad you're on board for equality in taxation***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:20 AM

Replies: 30
| visibility 699
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic